ADVERTISEMENT

Cost to replace UI Children’s Hospital windows could triple to $45M

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Compounding the escalating costs associated with the University of Iowa’s construction of its 14-story Stead Family Children’s Hospital, campus officials are asking permission to spend $45 million replacing damaged windows on nine floors — tripling the $15 million they originally planned to spend replacing cracked or delaminated windows on two floors.

The hospital, opened six years ago, “is experiencing systemic issues with the windows failing to perform consistent with the agreed upon specifications,” according to the university’s new request for permission from the Board of Regents to spend the higher amount resolving the issues of “delamination and cracking.”

As part of that total cost, the university — upon advice from window experts — has installed a protective film and mechanical clips on all the windows deemed “potential safety hazards to provide additional protection to assure the safety of all patients, visitors and staff.”

Advertisement

Officials have stressed the defective windows don’t pose a threat to patients, employees, visitors or the public.

But the additional, unplanned expense — plus mounting legal fees associated with a long-running dispute with a contractor on the project — could further balloon the soaring cost of the 507,000-square-foot hospital, originally budgeted at $270.8 million.

With the $45 million window expenditure — plus another $16 million a judge last month ordered the UI pay contractor Modern Piping of Cedar Rapids — the hospital price tag could reach $450 million, a 66 percent increase from the initial estimate.

Although UI officials said in board documents made public Tuesday that UI Health Care will cover the window expenses with its own building usage funds, the university last summer sued two contractors that installed 900-some windows in the towering facility.

But that legal case was stalled in September after a judge agreed to compel arbitration in response to arguments from the contractors, who said their contract with UIHC required disputes be handled that way.

“The procedural questions presented are for the arbitrator, and not this court, to decide,” a judge wrote in his order.

Daily News​

Newsletter Signup
checkmark-yellow.png
Delivered to your inbox every day

UIHC officials reported first discovering window issues on floors four and five — along with windows on a connector bridge to the main hospital — in July 2019, just two years after the hospital opened in 2017.

This week’s ask to spend millions more indicates windows now need replacing on levels three through 11.

If I recall, they made some significant design changes very late in the process. This may have lead to some of the quality issues they’re facing as well.
If that's true, I image the "budget" would have changed?

Of course, the media certainly might not acknowledge that.

Bottom line...it is VERY, VERY EXPENSIVE to build oval buildings with convex windows. There should never be a public building constructed again that deviates from normal, standard, tried and true building methods...methods that have been developed and refined over decades of construction.

I do not know exactly how the applicable section(s) of the pertinent contract reads...but my sense is that the U of I is rarely successful in scrapes like this one. You can be very sure that the lawyers involved here will be quite busy over the next many months and if anyone wants to start a pool as to who gets hosed(loses) in the court of law...I would on the U of I, given their track record.

A Morton building is too cheap but this is on the other end of the spectrum.

Ridiculous waste of money. Time to flash a Venmo / PayPal donation message on big screen during The Wave.

Considering the reputation of the Construction Management Company (Gilbane) that was used on this project, they (Gilbane) sure screwed this project up. This project, among others, is one of the reasons that the university has switched to "Construction Manager At Risk" on future projects.
Originally future towers to expand UIHC were going to be similar to Childrens but with all the problems that's no longer the case.

Considering the reputation of the Construction Management Company (Gilbane) that was used on this project, they (Gilbane) sure screwed this project up. This project, among others, is one of the reasons that the university has switched to "Construction Manager At Risk" on future projects.
Originally future towers to expand UIHC were going to be similar to Childrens but with all the problems that's no longer the case.
Whatever one thinks of Gilbane, I don't think they had one iota of responsibility/fault for the window debacle. FWIW.

Reactions: cigaretteman
At this point the best course of action is to claim a massive hail storm and take out every window with workers hanging from ropes along the exterior of the building, and make an insurance claim.

Please make college free so we can burn through a shit ton of cash.

Complete joke. Toss in all the expensive meals and galas to impress people to donate to this bloated project.

Just build a frocking square building and skip the curved walls and fancy atrium and all the other crap. I wonder how much cheaper shit could be if patient care was not just the main focus but THE ONLY FOCUS.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT