ADVERTISEMENT

Costco gas, crazy lines worth it?

Capital1Hawk

HR All-American
Jan 23, 2007
How can they be $1 per gallon cheaper than all the other gas stations in town. Premium was $4.66 at other locals and $3.55 at Costco. That’s over $25 a tank.

Here the gas hours at Costco are longer than regular store hours. It opens 1 -2 hours before the store and stays open 30 mins - 1 hour after the store closes. I go about an hour before the store opens and there is no line.
It is about .20 per gallon cheaper here.

It’s not even close to a $1 difference in QC, maybe $.20. I’ll stop when i’ driving by and the line isn’t too bad. Otherwise I’m not waiting.

Are you still in Omaha? The lines are crazy at the Costco on Dodge. I hear it’s better at LaVista. I don’t go through enough gas to make it worth my time but maybe if I did I would wait.
Yes still here, the 120th Dodge location they are flipping the exit to entrance in order to alleviate traffic backed up on the frontage road. I was shocked that the price was that much lower. Does that mean the other gas stations are gouging surely Costco doesn't have over a 25% lower buying power margin. I only go there early mornings or it's not worth it but for $25+ per week can see why it's crazy.

Reactions: 3boysmom
I live fairly close to one (3.4 miles), so I go first thing in the morning and there are no lines. Its a huge savings in West Des Moines and I travel a lot for work so it's totally worth it.

How can they be $1 per gallon cheaper than all the other gas stations in town. Premium was $4.66 at other locals and $3.55 at Costco. That’s over $25 a tank.
If it's $25/tank, probably worth it. You can surf the net and do shit on your phone while you're waiting.

If it's $3-5 per tank, maybe not so much.

I'll use Costco if I'm over that direction, but unless it's a big savings, not worth a special trip.

Weird part for me is that the last 2-3 months gas has been cheaper in my town than it has been at Sam's or Costco. So cheap, in fact, that we've been on the news on Twin Cities tv stations. So there are no huge lines but best priced gas in this part of Minnesota. Btw, there is a law here that stations can't sell at cost or a loss. They have to make a small profit.

If I only have to wait 1-2 cars….you bet. The line moves quick….more than 1-2 cars though and I’m skipping it…

The lines at the Coralville one are crazy whenever I go. For me not worth it, my car only holds like 13 gallons, not worth waiting to save $1-$2. I only need to fill up every 2-3 weeks anyway.

I try to go either before or after the store closes but even when crowded the lines move pretty fast.
Yep especially if you realize the way they have their hoses, you don't have to go to where the hose is on the side of your gas tank. I have gotten through much quicker thanks to many people not realizing or wanting to do that when I have gone during busy hours.

ADVERTISEMENT