ADVERTISEMENT

Could Iowa Use Bob Stitt's No Punting Philosophy?

Iowa Hog

HB MVP
Sep 30, 2001
Its been a long time since Reggie Roby. Iowa's punting has been poor for sometime, would Iowa chances improve using Montana's coach Bob Stitt's punting only when buried deep in their own territory. The dumbest punts are near the end of a ball game when teams are behind and time running out. If you don't stop them from a first down, it does not matter if its on their 10 or your own 30.

Lol, I always love the, "if you don't stop them from a first down..." statements.

Duh? That's part of the equation.

I am honestly surprised that we ever punt since so many bad things can happen. I guarantee Ferentz has worked countless hours trying to figure out a safer alternative.

Reactions: BuckRussel
IIRC we went for it on 4th down in 2014 more than at any time in KF's career. Certainly not as often as Stitt but all the same...
This is true. It is like he did a 180 on what to do instead of just taking each situation on its own. He has earned the captain clueless moniker.

Supposedly it's to your advantage not too punt ever but that just seems like a scary proposition. I would love to see it tried though.

Why was he clueless to go for it more last year??
He's clueless because it took him 15 years to figure out there isn't a rule that makes you punt on 4th down. The same applies that you don't have to go for it every time either which he continues to struggle with game day decisions. Even electing to punt to stud punt returners who had already burned him. The game has not slowed down for him yet.

I thought I read that our punter had instructions to kick away from Pierson-El but screwed it up.

He's clueless because it took him 15 years to figure out there isn't a rule that makes you punt on 4th down. The same applies that you don't have to go for it every time either which he continues to struggle with game day decisions. Even electing to punt to stud punt returners who had already burned him. The game has not slowed down for him yet.

Well, let's see, he didn't got for it every time. So, that's an exaggeration. And you are wrong on the last thing too. It was the horrible punter that punted too him when he was supposed to kick it out of bounds. And you are calling people clueless? funny

I think the reason KF went for it more on 4th down last year was more on how bad our FG unit was in the beginning.
I remember our coaches not even knowing who was supposed to be out there kicking field goals. There are so many examples of being clueless. The game day coaching is what you would expect to see at the Y with 12 year olds.

Its been a long time since Reggie Roby. Iowa's punting has been poor for sometime, would Iowa chances improve using Montana's coach Bob Stitt's punting only when buried deep in their own territory. The dumbest punts are near the end of a ball game when teams are behind and time running out. If you don't stop them from a first down, it does not matter if its on their 10 or your own 30.

Easier to be successful doing this guys philopshy of no punting and onside kicks in his class of Tenn HS football vs the big 10. Have to remember this guy is kind of like at an IC Regina type of situation where he can recruit and is able to field a team with better talent most years and has been consistently a state title contender. If he was at a public school where some years his talent is down be more interesting to see how it works. Plus talent gap among top tier HS teams vs rest of the other avg below avg HS teams far greater than the big 10 and college football. Especially his onside kicks don't think you'd have near the success trying against a college team ready for it with designated hands squad. Same with punting in college lot more times stuck with a 4th down situation backed up inside your own 20 than in HS.

Also saw this guy wants to do more rugby type action of wr pitching it to one another after make catches downfield. I will give this guy credit his games would be fun to watch and is very unique like grinnell bball. Maybe one of the few or only HS game I'd watch on tv a bit to see the style of play.

Of course Hayden used to do it on 3rd down, so yeah there's no rule

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT