ADVERTISEMENT

COVID-19 and injuries force Mid-Prairie High School to cancel football game vs. Iowa City Regina

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001

https://www.press-citizen.com/pictu...-iowa-high-school-football-week-2/5656783001/
Iowa City Regina football spent the first part of the 2020 season dealing with COVID-19 cancellations, having to find new opponents each of the first two weeks.
One year later, the Regals are in a similar situation.
Regina's Week 3 game at Mid-Prairie has been canceled and will not be re-scheduled, as the Golden Hawks deal with COVID-19 and injury issues within the football program. Regina activities director Taylor Hotek told the Press-Citizen Friday's game will be considered a win-by-forfeit and the Regals will not be granted an additional game.
"Unfortunately, Friday night's football game home vs Regina will be (canceled) due to circumstances outside of our control," a Tuesday tweet from the Mid-Prairie Community School District read. "The game will not be rescheduled. The JV football game September 13 vs Regina is still scheduled to take place. #MPHawks"

Mid-Prairie has been dealing with COVID issues throughout its student body, according to a report from KCII Radio. "Injuries and illnesses throughout the team" led to axing Friday's game. Mid-Prairie began the season 1-1 after beating West Burlington in its opener and losing to Sigourney Keota last Friday.

"I’ve talked to some of the custodial staff this morning and we’re stepping up our cleaning and disinfection efforts to try to stay on top of things," Mid-Prairie Superintendent Mark Schneider said, according to the report. "We’ll meet the challenges as they come to us."

Regina, meanwhile, moves to 3-0 after wins against Williamsburg in Week 1 and West Liberty last Friday. The Regals will return to action Sept. 17 against Mediapolis in what is the start of district play. Mid-Prairie's next scheduled showdown is the same day against Eddyville-Blakesburg-Fremont, although the fate of that game hinges on the health of the Golden Hawks moving forward.

The superintendent should tell his janitors to vaccinate students instead of cleaning desk tops.

Reactions: cigaretteman
The superintendent should tell his janitors to vaccinate students instead of cleaning desk tops.
Some probably are vaccinated, what then? It doesn’t stop you from getting it or spreading it. It sucks, but it happens and will continue to.

Most of the Area Mennonites go to Hillcrest. MiD-Prarie isn't chock full of Mennonites.

The area around mid prairie is full of Mennonites. I visited the Amish donut place outside of kalona a few months ago , don’t remember the name. Sign on the door said no masks needed, god would take care of us.

The area around mid prairie is full of Mennonites. I visited the Amish donut place outside of kalona a few months ago , don’t remember the name. Sign on the door said no masks needed, god would take care of us.
Huh? Amish ≠ Mennonite

Mid-Prairie could have played the game. They lost a few key players due to injury, and with some other kids out with Covid, they cancelled.
But, still fine to play the JV game on Monday I guess. Why they couldn't have just moved a few of those JV kids up to play tonight...well, they just didn't want to.

Reactions: dekhawk
My local high school had to do the same thing, canceling last week & this week. From what I'm told, it has been more due to injuries than covid

That article about Mid Prairie is pretty misleading. The issue wasn’t even covid. My cousin plays on the team, he said they had 9 guys out and 6 were from injuries. They may have had a couple kids with covid but they didn’t forfeit because of that. I will say it’s pretty poor form tho, this never would have happened in the past. They would’ve thrown a team out there regardless. Now it’s like they can use covid as a crutch because they know it’s a loss and just take the week off and nobody even thinks anything of it.

This is a bit intriguing - Mid Prairie used COVID as an excuse to get out of a pounding by Regina, but what's the motivation from ICW side? An abundance of caution? Are we still there? I thought that ended after summer of 2020....I'm guessing you won't see City canceling any games this year....

Iowa City currently has just 34 positive student cases across City High, West High and Liberty (and all associated elementary schools).
They must all on the West High team for them to need to cancel.
Or, it's just the wrong few people...and they didn't want to get rolled by Bettendorf.

https://www.iowacityschools.org/Page/18796

Mid-Prairie could have played the game. They lost a few key players due to injury, and with some other kids out with Covid, they cancelled.
But, still fine to play the JV game on Monday I guess. Why they couldn't have just moved a few of those JV kids up to play tonight...well, they just didn't want to.
Once again you have no clue what you're talking about, but act like you have a good grip on the situation..

• Haha
Reactions: Pinehawk
What percentage of schools are still tracking covid, doing contact tracing and implementing quarantines? I haven’t heard one peep out of our school system this school year despite knowing quite a few who have tested positive.

This is a bit intriguing - Mid Prairie used COVID as an excuse to get out of a pounding by Regina, but what's the motivation from ICW side? An abundance of caution? Are we still there? I thought that ended after summer of 2020....I'm guessing you won't see City canceling any games this year....

Uhhh... you look at West High's record? Bettendorf would have killed them.

However, even being a Liberty guy, I think the coaches at West are good dudes and wouldn't intentionally get out of a game to avoid being beat.

No, I suspect it was school administrators.
With the forfeit West High is eliminated from the playoffs and will lose a home game next year.

Uhhh... you look at West High's record? Bettendorf would have killed them.

However, even being a Liberty guy, I think the coaches at West are good dudes and wouldn't intentionally get out of a game to avoid being beat.
FYI - Both teams are 2-4.....

See Slim's post above...looks like I did know what I was talking about and was right.
No you don’t. You were questioning the coaches and teams motives, and for some reason still think it’s super easy for teams to just move a couple JV kids into varsity action when kids playing JV aren’t ready for that level yet, and when teams are keeping JV and Varsity teams completely separate to avoid a program wide shut down. So no, you once again have no clue, but flap your jaw.

Reactions: Tom Paris
There are 46 kids on the West High varsity roster at this time. They could have played the game.

IC administrators chose not to, based on the recommendation from a health department that would default to not playing any games if they could get away with it.

Well, maybe the West High players and parents can come out and watch the other area teams, the ones without a mask mandate, as they play this evening.

There are 46 kids on the West High varsity roster at this time. They could have played the game.

IC administrators chose not to, based on the recommendation from a health department that would default to not playing any games if they could get away with it.

Well, maybe the West High players and parents can come out and watch the other area teams, the ones without a mask mandate, as they play this evening.
West Branch at Regina......should be a good one....

West definitely could have played and JCDPH is going to recommend cancellation 100% of the time. I'm surprised they were "allowed" to have homecoming this year. Guessing they didn't consult the department of public health on that though......

No you don’t. You were questioning the coaches and teams motives, and for some reason still think it’s super easy for teams to just move a couple JV kids into varsity action when kids playing JV aren’t ready for that level yet, and when teams are keeping JV and Varsity teams completely separate to avoid a program wide shut down. So no, you once again have no clue, but flap your jaw.
I agree, it isn’t easy to move jv players to varsity , and it would very likely result in a blowout loss. But how often in the past has a team forfeit because of injuries? Without doing any legwork, im guessing not often. I think covid is making it too easy for teams to forfeit under the guise of covid when in actuality it’s injuries. Jmo

I agree, it isn’t easy to move jv players to varsity , and it would very likely result in a blowout loss. But how often in the past has a team forfeit because of injuries? Without doing any legwork, im guessing not often. I think covid is making it too easy for teams to forfeit under the guise of covid when in actuality it’s injuries. Jmo
You’re right about that. I’m guessing however M-P has around 20 actual varsity guys. When you take 9 of those away (not even factoring their positions) you’re asking for trouble when you can’t prepare properly and when you’re basically asking kids to not leave the field at all on game night. Chances are pretty good I know your nephew, btw ; )

Edit to add: in my career I’ve seen teams cancel forfeit of injuries a few times. I’ve seen teams cancel their varsity schedule and okay a JV only schedule, too. Just this year I know of one team that almost did that, but due to the stuff the other team was planning for the evening, they decided to go through with it.

Reactions: Slim45
Mid-Prairie currently has 34 on their varsity roster.
I'm curious if you can see how many of those 34 play JV also. Because then you would have JV kids who really aren't ready for a varsity game but the coach puts them all on the varsity roster. That is common.

Reactions: TailgateTom
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT