ADVERTISEMENT

COVID-19 and injuries force Mid-Prairie High School to cancel football game vs. Iowa City Regina

I'm curious if you can see how many of those 34 play JV also. Because then you would have JV kids who really aren't ready for a varsity game but the coach puts them all on the varsity roster. That is common.
You can see who is a sophomore or freshman. But, only the varsity roster.
Yes, some schools put everyone on the varsity roster, others do not.
With M-P numbers, and their lack of freshmen listed, that is their varsity roster.
Compare them in my link to Centerville, the other team listed, who did include freshman and have a combined varisty/JV roster list.

• Haha
Reactions: TailgateTom
For the record...that was most likely their roster at the start of the season. Those aren't updated weekly. So don't use the word "current". That was the start of season roster and it doesn't show which kids also play JV which will lower their actual varsity level players.

I know this because I coach...but feel pretty stupid for not realizing you got this from varsity bound. LOL at myself on that one. My brain is always thinking basketball on there.

For the record...that was most likely their roster at the start of the season. Those aren't updated weekly. So don't use the word "current". That was the start of season roster and it doesn't show which kids also play JV which will lower their actual varsity level players.

I know this because I coach...but feel pretty stupid for not realizing you got this from varsity bound. LOL at myself on that one. My brain is always thinking basketball on there.

Yeah, no rosters listed anywhere are 'live'. This is high school football.
Both M-P and West High could have safely fielded a team. They made their decisions not to and are shortchanging a lot of kids. People will remember.

Reactions: Incredible Hawk
If there aren’t freshmen listed then they likely didn’t update their roster from last year and it just rolled over from last year changing the grade and dropping off last years seniors.

On a side note, we have 15 juniors/seniors combined and don’t have any issues playing JV and Varsity competitively. It helps we have 15 sophomores and 24 freshmen though.

EDIT: Looks like they did update their roster as the height/weight are updated from last year. Looks like from last year they’re missing 12 that were listed. Do they really not having any freshmen or just aren’t listed.

Last edited:
If there aren’t freshmen listed then they likely didn’t update their roster from last year and it just rolled over from last year changing the grade and dropping off last years seniors.

On a side note, we have 15 juniors/seniors combined and don’t have any issues playing JV and Varsity competitively. It helps we have 15 sophomores and 24 freshmen though.

EDIT: Looks like they did update their roster as the height/weight are updated from last year. Looks like from last year they’re missing 12 that were listed. Do they really not having any freshmen or just aren’t listed.
They don’t list freshmen, and typically list all sophomores.

They don’t list freshmen, and typically list all sophomores.
They listed freshmen last year and a few years prior. One year they only listed juniors and seniors. Looks like they’re just inconsistent. What if they have someone who plays varsity as a freshman, do his stats not get posted?

They listed freshmen last year and a few years prior. One year they only listed juniors and seniors. Looks like they’re just inconsistent. What if they have someone who plays varsity as a freshman, do his stats not get posted?
They’ll list them then. But I can’t remember the last time they had a freshman on varsity that wasn’t just pulled up for post season only. Maybe 10-15 years ago?

Maybe if they actually tried developing kids instead of cancelling games, they could have some younger guys contribute someday.

Two weeks ago, when Wilton and Regina played (both undefeated at the time), two schools smaller than Mid-Prairie btw, they both got freshman into the varsity game.
Some teams make an effort to develop kids, others do not.

Two weeks ago, when Wilton and Regina played (both undefeated at the time), two schools smaller than Mid-Prairie btw, they both got freshman into the varsity game.
Some teams make an effort to develop kids, others do not.
So if I have this correctly, your position is that since two 1-A schools worked a couple freshmen in that should be the standard for all programs, to develop players? Good lord. The two most recent MP football players to get recruited on scholarship and play Division 1 (Iowa) didn’t even play as freshmen. Talk about a lack of development! I’m genuinely curious bc I don’t know, how many Regina kids have been recruited for a scholarship by fbs programs? Reginas HC who played at Iowa is a M-P alum, btw.

Actually plenty of Regina kids have gone on to great college careers (currently players at Iowa, ISU, and UNI).
In honor of this weekends game, I offer this amazing moment by former Regina Regal Daniel Murray:

Actually plenty of Regina kids have gone on to great college careers (currently players at Iowa, ISU, and UNI).
In honor of this weekends game, I offer this amazing moment by former Regina Regal Daniel Murray:

Murray was a walk on. How many Recruited on scholarship? To FBS programs? I remember Cook, who else?How about Wilton?

Last edited:
Yeah, no rosters listed anywhere are 'live'. This is high school football.
Both M-P and West High could have safely fielded a team. They made their decisions not to and are shortchanging a lot of kids. People will remember.
So don't call it current.

You don't KNOW that. It just fits your narrative about masking.

I missed where he said ‘only’
It was earlier when he said some programs make an effort to try to develop kids and some don’t, while idiotically pointing out repeatedly that 1A schools (smaller than MP) are able to work in a couple freshmen as his evidence.

Last edited:
It was earlier when he said some programs make an effort to try to develop kids and some don’t, while idiotically pointing out repeatedly that 1A schools (smaller than MP) are able to work in a couple freshmen as his evidence.
I read that post. Still don't see where 'only' gets involved. There are some teams that do a better job of working those kids into their games and helping with development. It helps as well that some of those teams are involved in games that have larger margins in scores. That's not the 'only' factor in development. To call it idiotic seems a bit emotional. I watched some games 'back in the day', games that the team I supported were up in a big manner(starters out before the half) and the other teams would still be playing their starters and upperclassmen late in the 4th to try to score or get the continuous clock off. It's just a different approach. Definitely not 'only'.

I read that post. Still don't see where 'only' gets involved. There are some teams that do a better job of working those kids into their games and helping with development. It helps as well that some of those teams are involved in games that have larger margins in scores. That's not the 'only' factor in development. To call it idiotic seems a bit emotional. I watched some games 'back in the day', games that the team I supported were up in a big manner(starters out before the half) and the other teams would still be playing their starters and upperclassmen late in the 4th to try to score or get the continuous clock off. It's just a different approach. Definitely not 'only'.
He’s pointing out that two 1A schools are making an effort to develop players by playing freshmen at a class size where typically more freshmen play compared to larger class sizes and M-P isn't making an effort because they don’t. In post 54 I asked him if that was his position on the matter and he didn’t refute it. So one can certainly infer from those two interactions that that by his definition the only way to try and develop kids is to play them as freshmen, which I feel is idiotic. He clearly hasn’t coached at the HS level, and probably has never coached, which brings me back to my original point of him just flapping his jaw about things.

• Haha
Reactions: Pinehawk
You can see who is a sophomore or freshman. But, only the varsity roster.
Yes, some schools put everyone on the varsity roster, others do not.
With M-P numbers, and their lack of freshmen listed, that is their varsity roster.
Compare them in my link to Centerville, the other team listed, who did include freshman and have a combined varisty/JV roster list.
Our School lists 3A all the Freshman that attend 100% of summer training and if they choose to suit up but are fully aware that they will never set foot on the field during a varsity game. Last night our opponent was so bad our coach said, "the hell with it, since they cancelled the freshman game prior to varsity lets put all the freshman in." the freshman were put in and we still scored on their varsity. Right or wrong a few 14 year olds earned their varsity letter in football last night...they played almost the entire second half. The most pathetic part was they drove the ball to the other teams 1 inch line and our coach chose to take a knee with our freshman guys in. Talk about a humbling experience for the other team.

So if I have this correctly, your position is that since two 1-A schools worked a couple freshmen in that should be the standard for all programs, to develop players? Good lord. The two most recent MP football players to get recruited on scholarship and play Division 1 (Iowa) didn’t even play as freshmen. Talk about a lack of development! I’m genuinely curious bc I don’t know, how many Regina kids have been recruited for a scholarship by fbs programs? Reginas HC who played at Iowa is a M-P alum, btw.
Playing freshman in 3A and above is almost unheard of. Thats 14 year olds against 18 year olds. In some cases 13 year olds.

Playing freshman in 3A and above is almost unheard of. Thats 14 year olds against 18 year olds. In some cases 13 year olds.

Television-Journalist-Says-Thank-You-Gif-Image.gif

Very true in 3A and above. Thought we were talking 1A?
MP is upper end 2A, lower end 3A. Not totally sure if they’ve ever moved up to 3A in football or not, but i know they’re close. IMS used to play football with Williamsburg, MP wouldn’t take them because it would’ve made them 3A. And MP has grown in size since that happened.

MP is upper end 2A, lower end 3A. Not totally sure if they’ve ever moved up to 3A in football or not, but i know they’re close. IMS used to play football with Williamsburg, MP wouldn’t take them because it would’ve made them 3A. And MP has grown in size since that happened.
Yep! Then when Burg dropped back to 2A IMS kids went to CC-A to play. Clippers got a hell of a QB out of the deal.

Reactions: Slim45
The current starting QB at Iowa City West is a freshman. Who transferred there from Regina.

• Haha
The current starting QB at Iowa City West is a freshman. Who transferred there from Regina.
Omg you’re right! Certainly this sets precedent for all teams across the state. You got me. Regina’s varsity program did a great job of developing him for that role.

Well, tell you what… I hope Mid-Prairie keeps doing what they’re doing. And, Regina will keep doing what they are doing. That’s been working out quite well.

Well, tell you what… I hope Mid-Prairie keeps doing what they’re doing. And, Regina will keep doing what they are doing. That’s been working out quite well.
And I hope both teams do what’s best for their respective programs. Knowing both staffs quite well, I have the utmost confidence they’ll continue to do so.

BTW, West sits at 2-4 and their QB has a 45% completion percentage throwing 3 TDs/6 ints. Their kid is a hell of a QB (I’ve watched him 4-5 times over the last 3 years) and I know he’ll be just fine.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT