ADVERTISEMENT

COVID-19 Thread

Reactions: el dub
This is just more far right propaganda. There's lots of web sites like this.
Of course there's Covid-19 deaths that are attributed to other causes for political reasons, and vice versa. That's the goal of the far right: to undermine trust in our institutions like mainstream news and vetted professional opinion.
Your trusted institutions participated and promoted an actual coup attempt in the United States,(which I'm sure you served in some capacity). Vetted liberal professionals is an oxymoron you twit.

Your trusted institutions participated and promoted an actual coup attempt in the United States,(which I'm sure you served in some capacity). Vetted liberal professionals is an oxymoron you twit.
You're delusional. I'm sorry that you're filled with hate and anger. Please see a mental health professional for your own good.

Right, I'm going to take advice from a lunatic lefty in the mommy party. No I've got a 6:09 tee time in the morning; stay safe in the basement.
First, I am safe, thank you, but on the back porch with a cold one. Second, I'm not particularly liberal on many issues, and not a Democrat, and my mother died 40 years ago.
Third, why don't you paint your balls orange so you don't lose them, junior. Fourth: go to church. It might help.

First, I am safe, thank you, but on the back porch with a cold one. Second, I'm not particularly liberal on many issues, and not a Democrat, and my mother died 40 years ago.
Third, why don't you paint your balls orange so you don't lose them, junior. Fourth: go to church. It might help.
I'm a year older than Gable, go to church every week and mine are red, white and blue, thanks for your concern.

Maybe not exactly, but you can compare the number of deaths in a normal April and May of 2017, 2018, 2019, etc., to the number of deaths in this April and May. Then ask, "What accounts for the difference?"
We see that some people are trying to minimize the deaths to cover for poor leadership at the top. Don't believe it.
I don't give a shit about the differences from year to year, you don't have to be Albert Einstein to figure that one out.

I stated a fact, that is all.

I don't give a shit about the differences from year to year, you don't have to be Albert Einstein to figure that one out.

I stated a fact, that is all.
We may not have an exact count, but we do have a very good approximate count. Those differences from this year and any past year can best be explained by Covid-19 infections.

Sounds like Moderna might be on to something for a potential vaccine. Fingers are crossed.

Not so sure about that.... you see, the Illuminati instructed Bill Gates to donate money to Moderna so they can profit.

... just kidding...

That is good news!

Here is a useful web page about reducing risk. My boss shared it with me.
https://www.erinbromage.com/post/the-risks-know-them-avoid-them
"viral dosage + time = chance of infection"
As we all probably know by now, this means that enclosed spaces with poor airflow, and in close proximity to others over a long time are most risky.
It also means that going outdoors by yourself has (almost) no risk. Time to hike, fish, and look for mushrooms!

Last edited:
The average positives to negatives in Iowa since the start of this pandemic sits at 14.1%. The daily test percentage was 7.4%. We definitely are trending in the right direction with regards to widespread testing. Hopefully we continue to increase the daily testing capabilities.

Looking at deaths to recovered cases I would also argue is most applicable just due to the virus having ran it's course. I won't break those out since over half our state deaths appear to be attributed to long term care outbreaks. It feeds the narrative only the elderly pass when they are the only population living in a virus rich environment. There is a reason many health care workers become infected at a much higher rate than the general population.

15000 positive cases among 3.2 million Iowans just highlights how much risk remains as confidence grows (and people claim risks are overstated) every time one goes in public and doesn't come home with Covid.

The average positives to negatives in Iowa since the start of this pandemic sits at 14.1%. The daily test percentage was 7.4%. We definitely are trending in the right direction with regards to widespread testing. Hopefully we continue to increase the daily testing capabilities.

Looking at deaths to recovered cases I would also argue is most applicable just due to the virus having ran it's course. I won't break those out since over half our state deaths appear to be attributed to long term care outbreaks. It feeds the narrative only the elderly pass when they are the only population living in a virus rich environment. There is a reason many health care workers become infected at a much higher rate than the general population.

15000 positive cases among 3.2 million Iowans just highlights how much risk remains as confidence grows (and people claim risks are overstated) every time one goes in public and doesn't come home with Covid.

Here in Oregon we’ve had 3720 cases. Sixty eight of those cases were here in Lane county with a population of over 380,000.

A friend from Iowa called this morning and told me they are headed out to OR for a visit. I talked to my housemates. One has COPD and spent a week in the hospital last fall. I told my friend that they wouldn’t be invited into the house at present. And that my housemates won’t play music with them. They’re still on their way west.

"Science’s COVID-19 reporting is supported by the Pulitzer Center.

On its face, it was a major finding: Antimalarial drugs touted by the White House as possible COVID-19 treatments looked to be not just ineffective, but downright deadly. A study published on 22 May in The Lancet used hospital records procured by a little-known data analytics company called Surgisphere to conclude that coronavirus patients taking chloroquine or hydroxychloroquine were more likely to show an irregular heart rhythm—a known side effect thought to be rare—and were more likely to die in the hospital.

Within days, some large randomized trials of the drugs—the type that might prove or disprove the retrospective study’s analysis—screeched to a halt. Solidarity, the World Health Organization’s (WHO’s) megatrial of potential COVID-19 treatments, paused recruitment into its hydroxychloroquine arm, for example. (Update: At a briefing on 3 June WHO announced it would resume that arm of the study.)"

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/202...papers-top-medical-journals-may-be-unraveling

On its face, it was a major finding: Antimalarial drugs touted by the White House as possible COVID-19 treatments looked to be not just ineffective, but downright deadly. A study published on 22 May in The Lancet used hospital records procured by a little-known data analytics company called Surgisphere to conclude that coronavirus patients taking chloroquine or hydroxychloroquine were more likely to show an irregular heart rhythm—a known side effect thought to be rare—and were more likely to die in the hospital.

Within days, some large randomized trials of the drugs—the type that might prove or disprove the retrospective study’s analysis—screeched to a halt. Solidarity, the World Health Organization’s (WHO’s) megatrial of potential COVID-19 treatments, paused recruitment into its hydroxychloroquine arm, for example. (Update: At a briefing on 3 June WHO announced it would resume that arm of the study.)"

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/202...papers-top-medical-journals-may-be-unraveling

Holy crap, I didn't know

Wow, I didn't realize it was a Tapper tweet, my gosh it has to be true!

Reactions: KFSuperStar
I was hoping this thread was going to die, but it lives on.

I believe I found the info I was looking for wrt death rates in health people a while ago, but didn’t want to bring this thread back to the top. But, since it found it’s way back up to the top, here it goes. I think it was the NY data that said only about 2.5% of the deaths from those 45-65 yo had no risk factors.

My numbers may be a few weeks dated, but if the overall death rate for known Covid cases 50-60 yo is 3% and only 2.5% have no risk factors, the death rate would be 0.075% (about 1 in 1333) for a healthy 50-60 yo. But there are many more asymptotic people out there that are not counted (probably 2-5x as many as those testing positive).

So in reality, a healthy 50-60 yo person would have a 1 in 2500 to 1 in 6000 chance of dying from Covid IF they got infected.

Just thought I would give the update.

Reactions: Boogaloo Brown
Wow, only 1 in a fairly populous state. I live in Virginia and nobody under the age of 20 has died here.

Obviously not a lot but I thought some of the initial overseas data was like literally 0 deaths under 15 or something. I don’t know the exact numbers but I imagine the US as a whole is at least in double digits.

I was hoping this thread was going to die, but it lives on.

I believe I found the info I was looking for wrt death rates in health people a while ago, but didn’t want to bring this thread back to the top. But, since it found it’s way back up to the top, here it goes. I think it was the NY data that said only about 2.5% of the deaths from those 45-65 yo had no risk factors.

My numbers may be a few weeks dated, but if the overall death rate for known Covid cases 50-60 yo is 3% and only 2.5% have no risk factors, the death rate would be 0.075% (about 1 in 1333) for a healthy 50-60 yo. But there are many more asymptotic people out there that are not counted (probably 2-5x as many as those testing positive).

So in reality, a healthy 50-60 yo person would have a 1 in 2500 to 1 in 6000 chance of dying from Covid IF they got infected.

Just thought I would give the update.

Is there a list of what the “risk factors” are? If it includes things like asthma, high blood pressure, obesity, and/or a history of smoking I’d be curious what % of the overall population doesn’t actually have any “risk factors.”

The world will never know the accurate count of COVID-19 related deaths. Ever. Pick someone's best guess and roll with it, cause that's all you're ever going to get.

It’s not that tough. There are accurate death records going back a long time. Looking at the annual number of deaths, averaged out over decades, its relatively easy to come up with accurate expected mortality rate. The difference between the projected number based on history and the actual death rate will get you close to covid related deaths.

It’s not that tough. There are accurate death records going back a long time. Looking at the annual number of deaths, averaged out over decades, its relatively easy to come up with accurate expected mortality rate. The difference between the projected number based on history and the actual death rate will get you close to covid related deaths.
COVID-19 is over. Stay at Home order enforcement went bye-bye in the snap of a finger, so we know it's now in the History books. Celebrate!

Reactions: pumpdog20
COVID-19 is over. Stay at Home order enforcement went bye-bye in the snap of a finger, so we know it's now in the History books. Celebrate!

You were asking about death counts. I was telling you how to accurately calculate. Maybe that was old post of yours?

You were asking about death counts. I was telling you how to accurately calculate. Maybe that was old post of yours?
Those counts will keep changing as the rules keep changing, as they have from Day One. We'll never truly know I'm sure, but I don't sit and dwell on death statistics no matter what causes it (apparently it's a thing), so whatever they come up with real or imagined, it is what it is.

I do prefer the real data regardless of topic if given the choice, which unfortunately is dependent upon whose Ox is being gored in too many instances.

Those counts will keep changing as the rules keep changing, as they have from Day One. We'll never truly know I'm sure, but I don't sit and dwell on death statistics no matter what causes it (apparently it's a thing), so whatever they come up with real or imagined, it is what it is.

I do prefer the real data regardless of topic if given the choice, which unfortunately is dependent upon whose Ox is being gored in too many instances.

IMO, the best metric for COVID-trends is hospitalizations, probably more specifically the 7-day average. I guess it's possible some of those may not actually be COVID either, but it's probably a more accurate number than deaths, and still tells you the number of people that are having more severe symptoms.

Reactions: Jackhawk87
No, it's not over in my state, but it is diminishing steadily. We still have 50 deaths a day or so in my state. By the end of June, we should have infection rates down to less than 5% for over two weeks, and then everything will open up.
BTW, here we never had a Stay at Home order. We had a Stay at Home advisory, with essential services exempt. We took that seriously here, because the rates hospitalization numbers and death rates were so high, much higher than in Iowa. I can see why folks in rural areas would find these orders so chafing. Once we get testing, contact tracing, and the rest set up here, I expect life to get back to some sort of "normal."

No, it's not over in my state, but it is diminishing steadily. We still have 50 deaths a day or so in my state. By the end of June, we should have infection rates down to less than 5% for over two weeks, and then everything will open up.
BTW, here we never had a Stay at Home order. We had a Stay at Home advisory, with essential services exempt. We took that seriously here, because the rates hospitalization numbers and death rates were so high, much higher than in Iowa. I can see why folks in rural areas would find these orders so chafing. Once we get testing, contact tracing, and the rest set up here, I expect life to get back to some sort of "normal."

Don’t kid yourself. The rural areas will possibly lead the second wave. Many of those those folks working in packing plants will spread the virus in the small towns they inhabit.

Don’t kid yourself. The rural areas will possibly lead the second wave. Many of those those folks working in packing plants will spread the virus in the small towns they inhabit.

The packing plant outbreaks were a month ago or more. How’s that going to feed a second wave? And does a comparable handful of small towns have enough volume to lead a “wave”?

Yeah, maybe I am. I sure hope that you're wrong, though.

The packing plant outbreaks were a month ago or more. How’s that going to feed a second wave? And does a comparable handful of small towns have enough volume to lead a “wave”?

That’s a good question. I’m hoping the cases are so spread out that no single location is over run.

It feeds a second wave by being asymptomatic in so many people. But the first wave is still going strong. We’re experiencing over a thousand deaths a day currently.

That’s a good question. I’m hoping the cases are so spread out that no single location is over run.

It feeds a second wave by being asymptomatic in so many people. But the first wave is still going strong. We’re experiencing over a thousand deaths a day currently.
And 15 nights of riots. Sounds like the ruling class has things well in hand.

Reactions: Chopper25
This is covid-19 thread. Find another thread for your off-topic right-wing rants.

Dude.. Relax...

There’s fifteen cases of covid in this country and in April, it’s going to go away, like magic.

No, wait, I mean, there have been well over one hundred thousand deaths in this country but if we keep it up, there might only be a couple hundred thousand deaths by September.

So, chillax, bro. Da gubmit got dis...

Dude.. Relax...

There’s fifteen cases of covid in this country and in April, it’s going to go away, like magic.

No, wait, I mean, there have been well over one hundred thousand deaths in this country but if we keep it up, there might only be a couple hundred thousand deaths by September.

So, chillax, bro. Da gubmit got dis...
I'm sorry. What was I thinking? :)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT