ADVERTISEMENT

COVID-19 Thread

-----

The IHME (Univ of Washington) model is used by the White House, and in general, their models have, if anything, been rosier than some of the others, but nothing disconnected from reality. They produce many different projections based on different mitigation measures taken by any given country, and who can know which ones and how well they will be carried out? So I'm a little mystified what your beef with IHME is.... anything specific?

As far as not mixing politics with a pandemic.... your criticism would be valid under most any other president. But given the debacle the U.S. has experienced in dealing with covid due to Trump's complete mishandling, it's hard to separate the two. They are intimately related.

The pandemic has been policized by both parties. Don't kid yourself.

Ask spooner. I'm sure he will have an answer for your question.

Correct. The answer is that we weren’t #1 in cases. Iowa was #1 in percentage increase in positives which has zero significance other than driving more fear. This short lived rise in cases was fed by students returning to the big schools. Not only was the total number a blip compared to other states daily cases, it resulted in exactly 0 hospital stays. Further emphasizing the lack of significance.

-----

The IHME (Univ of Washington) model is used by the White House, and in general, their models have, if anything, been rosier than some of the others, but nothing disconnected from reality. They produce many different projections based on different mitigation measures taken by any given country, and who can know which ones and how well they will be carried out? So I'm a little mystified what your beef with IHME is.... anything specific?

As far as not mixing politics with a pandemic.... your criticism would be valid under most any other president. But given the debacle the U.S. has experienced in dealing with covid due to Trump's complete mishandling, it's hard to separate the two. They are intimately related.

Only a blind partisan hack would blame one side for making this political but not the other. Both parties and their leaders make me absolutely sick.

-----

I haven't paid attention to many predictions so don't know what their earlier ones were, but I've seen this recent one quoted in a few places and I think it is a bit of a scare tactic. It doesn't seem to be based on anything other than they think cases will rise in winter which we don't necessarily know will happen or not.

Basically, their "best case scenario" which assumes "universal mask wearing," is essentially saying the daily death count will remain constant for the remainder of the year with what it is right now. Considering we don't have universal mask wearing now, wouldn't one assume that if we achieved that then daily deaths would go down? (Again, the majority of their number seems to be just based on the belief that cases will rise in winter).

Their "worst case scenario" has daily deaths reaching triple what they are now, which I do find a bit hard to believe, particularly since they say part of the reason is "declining vigilance of the public," however "vigilance of the public" has probably been declining for months. Part of the reason for that is likely due to the declines in deaths (while there was a "second wave" of deaths nationally, it was still well below the initial peak). If god forbid we did start seeing deaths get a lot higher, I think that "vigilance" will quickly return.

Reactions: Kwoodhawk
The pandemic has been policized by both parties. Don't kid yourself.

How much either party is politicizing covid is a subjective opinion, and you're entitled to believe whatever you want.

But only one party has the president, who has "guided" U.S. policy in the covid pandemic.

covid deaths in August:

U.S. ~ 31,000
E.U. ~ 4000 (with a larger population than U.S.)

No matter how much cheerleading and sugar coating is done, it's hard to be satisfied with that kind of performance.

How much either party is politicizing covid is a subjective opinion, and you're entitled to believe whatever you want.

But only one party has the president, who has "guided" U.S. policy in the covid pandemic.

covid deaths in August:

U.S. ~ 31,000
E.U. ~ 4000 (with a larger population than U.S.)

No matter how much cheerleading and sugar coating is done, it's hard to be satisfied with that kind of performance.

The CDC is setting policy and state and local government are implementing it or not implementing it. Trump does not call the shots in New York or South Dakota or Florida or any other state. And you, more than almost anyone here, have been politizing the pandemic with your endless patronizing posts.

The CDC is setting policy and state and local government are implementing it or not implementing it. Trump does not call the shots in New York or South Dakota or Florida or any other state. And you, more than almost anyone here, have been politizing the pandemic with your endless patronizing posts.
And that has been the problem all,along. No leadership nationally for the Covid pandemic.

Reactions: el dub
And that has been the problem all,along. No leadership nationally for the Covid pandemic.
its no surprise you believe that is the problem as you and a few others in this thread are obviously totalitarian by nature. Those Americans who believe in Federalism would argue the President has no constitutional authority to do what you are implying and that the power of the presidency has gotten way out of control already.

You probably also believe we should be a Democracy and not a Republic, Am I right??

its no surprise you believe that is the problem as you and a few others in this thread are obviously totalitarian by nature. Those Americans who believe in Federalism would argue the President has no constitutional authority to do what you are implying and that the power of the presidency has gotten way out of control already.

You probably also believe we should be a Democracy and not a Republic, Am I right??
The tell-tale sign of someone who thinks they're way smarter than they really are.

"You know what totalitarians really want? More democracy. I understand what these words mean."

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: crablegs1
You are absolutely in bounds to cast a discerning eye upon Armstrong Econ. I only ask you do the same on the flip side so as not to be guilty of confirmation bias. That is, Fauci has written glowing and guffawing e-mails to Hillary in the past. Fauci and Birx have leadership positions on The Gates Foundation. Therefore, having conflicting biases.

The CDC this past week ratched down those inflated Covid deaths to 9.800 minus comorbidities. No doubt some played a role in the deaths with other ailments. Covid deaths are more like 54,000. In '18, flu deaths were 80K. So, in reality, this is just a normal flu season.
Your a frickin idiot.

Hot off the press, from the SJMN today:

Trump appointed a Hoover Institute former radiologist to the covid task force, named Scott Atlas. The faculty at Stanford (where he used to work years ago) was outraged.

<<But this week, in a scathing letter, dozens of Stanford University Medical School’s top faculty denounced former colleague Dr. Scott Atlas for promoting what they called “falsehoods and misrepresentations of science.”>>

This letter was signed by over 100 Stanford faculty and researchers, all with expertise in the related fields - infectious diseases, virology, vaccines, etc.

Sorry if you find this news patronizing. But it is accurate information.

Trump does not call the shots?!? Is that a joke? The CDC and HHS are part of the executive branch. He can choose to follow their recommendations and the country will follow. He can use emergency powers to produce PPE or whatever else is needed. I'll go out on a limb here...I'm guessing you are a Trump loyalist.

Just curious... which part of Trump's leadership have you admired most?

The part Woodward recently laid bare, where Trump said in February that he knew the virus was "highly contagious," "deadly stuff," "more deadly than the flu" and "it’s so easily transmissible, you wouldn’t even believe it,” and "it's easily spread in the air," and "it's not just old people -- plenty of young people."

Or what followed in the weeks afterward, where Trump says covid is less deadly than the flu, doesn't affect children, and encourages states and schools to open up immediately and wants to pack folks shoulder to shoulder at his rallies, without masks (but making absolutely sure that ANYONE who gets near him is tested beforehand)?

SMH.... wake up dude!

Not really! I just believe our president should be a leader in the fight against Covid as any previous president would have been.

Trump does not call the shots?!? Is that a joke? The CDC and HHS are part of the executive branch. He can choose to follow their recommendations and the country will follow. He can use emergency powers to produce PPE or whatever else is needed. I'll go out on a limb here...I'm guessing you are a Trump loyalist.

Just curious... which part of Trump's leadership have you admired most?

The part Woodward recently laid bare, where Trump said in February that he knew the virus was "highly contagious," "deadly stuff," "more deadly than the flu" and "it’s so easily transmissible, you wouldn’t even believe it,” and "it's easily spread in the air," and "it's not just old people -- plenty of young people."

Or what followed in the weeks afterward, where Trump says covid is less deadly than the flu, doesn't affect children, and encourages states and schools to open up immediately and wants to pack folks shoulder to shoulder at his rallies, without masks (but making absolutely sure that ANYONE who gets near him is tested beforehand)?

SMH.... wake up dude!

Trump is certainly worthy of criticism for his handling of covid (could have encouraged masks earlier, helped get more tests, etc.), but any criticism of him should be quickly followed by criticism of the governors of states like NY and NJ, especially when people (not saying you) say things like “Trump is responsible for 200k deaths!!”

For one, unfortunately there was surely going to be a pretty significant amount of deaths no matter what we did. And there shouldn’t need to be “leadership” to tell you not to send covid patients to places filled with your most vulnerable population. NY/NJ still account for 25% of all covid deaths in the US (~50k). We’ll never know for sure, but I think it’s reasonable to conclude that about 10k or so of those likely could have prevented.

I also don’t think too much of Trump “downplaying the seriousness.” As is, we already had PPE shortages, no toilet paper for months, Lysol wipes selling for $100 a can on ebay, etc. I can’t really imagine what would have happened if Trump didn’t downplay it. Anyone with internet access could clearly see that it was serious based on what was happening in China and then Italy.

It sounds like rapid saliva testing could be coming to BIG 10 football. Fingers crossed this is good news for the wrestling season.

Not really! I just believe our president should be a leader in the fight against Covid as any previous president would have been.
"Any Previous President" You definitely tipped your hand. lol

Edit- If you are old enough you were definitely a "Bush Lied People Died" Guy... If you are not, you will realize that they all suck to a degree, and right now (Only due to Media and Tech bias) Republicans tend to be a little less corrupt because they can't get away with it.....ONLY due to one sided media scrutiny...lol

Last edited:
Trump is certainly worthy of criticism for his handling of covid (could have encouraged masks earlier, helped get more tests, etc.), but any criticism of him should be quickly followed by criticism of the governors of states like NY and NJ, especially when people (not saying you) say things like “Trump is responsible for 200k deaths!!”

For one, unfortunately there was surely going to be a pretty significant amount of deaths no matter what we did. And there shouldn’t need to be “leadership” to tell you not to send covid patients to places filled with your most vulnerable population. NY/NJ still account for 25% of all covid deaths in the US (~50k). We’ll never know for sure, but I think it’s reasonable to conclude that about 10k or so of those likely could have prevented.

I also don’t think too much of Trump “downplaying the seriousness.” As is, we already had PPE shortages, no toilet paper for months, Lysol wipes selling for $100 a can on ebay, etc. I can’t really imagine what would have happened if Trump didn’t downplay it. Anyone with internet access could clearly see that it was serious based on what was happening in China and then Italy.
No, Trump cost extra lives by lying. He doesn't hesitate to start a panic about everything else, so why not Covid-19? The reason is that he was afraid it would tank the market and cost him the election. And by lying, it will cost him the election.

Edit- If you are old enough you were definitely a "Bush Lied People Died" Guy... If you are not, you will realize that they all suck to a degree, and right now Democrats tend to be a little less corrupt because they're fighting for what's left of our democracy.....ONLY because there's a madman who is now president...
FIFY

No, Trump cost extra lives by lying. He doesn't hesitate to start a panic about everything else, so why not Covid-19? The reason is that he was afraid it would tank the market and cost him the election. And by lying, it will cost him the election.

What else has he started an actual panic about?

I do believe that it was largely because he didn’t want the people to panic any more than they already were. I mean I know he’s not the smartest guy, but if he knew covid was serious, then he knew it probably wasn’t going to just go away on its own and there was a possibility of an economic downturn. It’s not like he was the only politician that knew about it early - several senators were accused of insider trading after dumping a ton of stock in February

He also wasn’t the only politician to downplay it. You had the mayor of NYC literally encouraging people to eat at bars & restaurants in mid-March...

I honestly don’t know who will win at this point. Biden isn’t exactly a strong candidate, and I still believe it’s a toss up. FWIW, this isn’t about political preference as I’m very much in the middle personally.

if voting this year were a multiple choice option I would take C for none of the above. Lol.

1. Thats a distorted view. Very few people are glued to CNN these days. The media doesn't hesitate to start panic. For the last 3 years most of us have been just living our lives. Try a new hobby.
2. Doubt it.

Reactions: Gobblin and dhm az
1. Thats a distorted view. Very few people are glued to CNN these days. The media doesn't hesitate to start panic. For the last 3 years most of us have been just living our lives. Try a new hobby.
2. Doubt it.
Look whose talking about distorted views. It's a guy who gets news from Fox. I'm just living my life too, but I'm watching things fall apart under this moran.

You really have internalized all of this on a very emotional level obviously..lol My Last comment, I wish you and everybody I think is very misguided on this thread well. We are all still on the same side in the end
LOL - Thank you, and I hope that you're right.

I think Trump will lose, but not because of covid. I think the social justice movement is a bigger threat to him (and the push to get people to vote that didn’t vote in 2016 assuming he wasn’t going to win)

I think Trump will lose, but not because of covid. I think the social justice movement is a bigger threat to him (and the push to get people to vote that didn’t vote in 2016 assuming he wasn’t going to win)

this

Edit- If you are old enough you were definitely a "Bush Lied People Died" Guy... If you are not, you will realize that they all suck to a degree, and right now (Only due to Media and Tech bias) Republicans tend to be a little less corrupt because they can't get away with it.....ONLY due to one sided media scrutiny...lol
I voted for both Bush presidents. Voted for Richard Nixon also. Been a republican for over 50 years. All of those presidents would have handled Covid in a much better way.

I do not think Trump cost lives by lying. He cost lives by not acting on the information that he had. If he lied, but still led on getting testing, ppe, respirators, and followed scientific advice, many lives would have been saved. It is not what he said that caused the problems, it is what he did(or what he did not do) that caused so many deaths. Trump even had a head start by observing what Europe and other countries did with Covid. All he had to do is copy what the others did and maybe improve somethings.

This goes completely against all of the polling. Biden is actually under-performing Clinton (who herself already significantly under-performed) with Black, Latino, and young voters. His poll lead is because seniors in the suburbs have abandoned Trump in droves since the pandemic began.

The vast majority of voters have little interest or knowledge about "the social justice movement." In fact, Biden has gone to great lengths to distance his campaign from it, both in the primary and now.

If Trump loses, it will be because older voters want a return to normalcy (might as well be the slogan of the Biden campaign). The pandemic is just the chaos that pushed that desire over the top.

Look whose talking about distorted views. It's a guy who gets news from Fox. I'm just living my life too, but I'm watching things fall apart under this moran.
Pass on Fox too. if I remember correct you are the same guy that downplays peace in the Middle East, so it's easy to see why you panic over everything CNN tells you.

Reactions: Gobblin

I’ve pretty much given up fighting the cult. They like what their leader has been doing for most of four years.

Reactions: grapplefann
Pass on Fox too. if I remember correct you are the same guy that downplays peace in the Middle East, so it's easy to see why you panic over everything CNN tells you.
Having a couple of the richest Arab countries play nice with Trump's crony in Israel does not amount to peace in the MIddle East. It's just another stunt to get them both reelected. No, Rump leads the panic party: panic over invading foreigners, panic over removing statues, panic over socialism, panic over antifa, panic over mask-wearing, panic over everything, and then he pretends to care about not starting a panic about Covid. Don't believe it.

Reactions: Sara Henryson

There is criticism to go around, I agree, and I would never make the claim that Trump is responsible for 200,000 deaths.

But at the same time, in fairness to the various governors of different states, they've never had the resources, power, voice or the very best information on what is happening compared to the U.S. president. NY got absolutely clobbered early on, but they were the place that so many folks returning from Europe (and China) came to. So a lot of people died early on. The treatment of covid then was nowhere near as good as it is now. Given the hand he was dealt, I think Gov Cuomo has done a decent job since then.

And since those early months.... well, I would still maintain that Trump's continuing behavior - encouraging rallies, shoulder to shoulder, no masks, open all schools now, liberate Mich, Minn, Virginia, pushing quack or unproven therapies, ignoring or contradicting his own CDC (Messenier, Fauci, and just a couple of days ago, Redfield) - it's making it hard to get over the hump in controlling covid.

Olivia Troye, a top aide to VP Pence, on the coronavirus task force resigned in July. She has gone on record as saying Trump was more concerned about covid hurting his reelection chances than dealing with it. Despite her being a republican, she has endorsed Biden.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT