ADVERTISEMENT

Covid 19 Vaccine goal is to be 50% effective

We're never gonna be able to get rid of Fauci.
giphy.gif

Sounds like many in the know think their vaccine might be i the 90% effective range.
Also, once the body knows what it is (vaccine is the safe way to this learning) we will be better at fighting it on our own.

If 50% of the population is immune to it and we continue improving identification and treatment doesn’t this just become like the flu except we have to monitor for outbreaks?

Seems like that would allow a return to normal, but maybe no handshakes, close indoor stuff and lots of hand sanitizer

And not a new normal. God damnit I hate that phrase

If 50% of the population is immune to it and we continue improving identification and treatment doesn’t this just become like the flu except we have to monitor for outbreaks?

Seems like that would allow a return to normal, but maybe no handshakes, close indoor stuff and lots of hand sanitizer

And not a new normal. God damnit I hate that phrase
There's been quite a few studies that show immunity only lasts for so long. So I think it's a bit more complicated than that.

With that said, it's a new virus so the doctors are learning new stuff all the time. Hopefully the temporary immunity thing isn't accurate.

There has never been a mRNA vaccine before. Previous trials killed the animals and they stopped the trial

for this one they “skipped the animal trials”

you first

After reading this it doesn't give me confidence. Now the vaccine is just a tool and the goal is to get out of pandemic territory. So does this mean no mass gatherings forever or at least the next few years. Is it going to be masking up for years now.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/08/07/cor...f-it-being-highly-effective-is-not-great.html

With the current R(t) 60% would pry be enough to get herd immunity. Granted that's if 100% take the vaccine ...but even though we know that won't happen... combined with current primate data showing effective titers after anribodies depleted, enough people infected to get close to herd immuntiy.

Think it will be flu/covid season from now on...but will pretty much be back to normal is by next summer.

There's been quite a few studies that show immunity only lasts for so long. So I think it's a bit more complicated than that.

With that said, it's a new virus so the doctors are learning new stuff all the time. Hopefully the temporary immunity thing isn't accurate.

No plenty of studies that show antibodies last so long..not same thing as immunity

Reactions: Finance85
No plenty of studies that show antibodies last so long..not same thing as immunity
Do we know immunity lasts though? I know they're not the same thing, but I've seen articles about both. Not being a smartass here, serious question.

Do we know immunity lasts though? I know they're not the same thing, but I've seen articles about both. Not being a smartass here, serious question.

I know primate studies have looked promising...which isn't a guarantee...but its promising (I think most animal studies have looked promising) ... you will still get "infected" but with memory B cells will be able to fight off before serious....

Reactions: McLovin32
There has never been a mRNA vaccine before. Previous trials killed the animals and they stopped the trial

for this one they “skipped the animal trials”

you first
Wow! That's scary!! Could you post a link to your credible source for this? I'd love to see the research.

Sounds like many in the know think their vaccine might be i the 90% effective range.
Also, once the body knows what it is (vaccine is the safe way to this learning) we will be better at fighting it on our own.
The body already knows: T-cell immunity.

We don’t need a vaccine. Or lockdowns. Or masks. Or hysteria. :confused:

The vaccine was never going to be highly effective. We struggle to get one that works for the flu each season.
Add to that a population that may, on the high end, get vaccinated at maybe a 60% rate.
People are going to have to start getting used to coexisting with this virus, and not being hysterical.
We’re going to need to build herd immunity. The sooner, the better.

Immunity should last as long as most other virus immunities, from one to three years.

I linked some recent articles here:

https://iowa.forums.rivals.com/thre...-are-we-getting-each-day.325022/#post-7975737

Last edited:
The vaccine was never going to be highly effective. We struggle to get one that works for the flu each season.
Add to that a population that may, on the high end, get vaccinated at maybe a 60% rate.
People are going to have to start getting used to coexisting with this virus, and not being hysterical.
Need to concentrate on vaccinating old people.

Reactions: Pinehawk
Need to concentrate on vaccinating old people.

Unfortunately, the Israeli version of Fauci has pointed out that vaccines are typically most effective for those folks who aren’t particularly prone to dying from the virus. The vaccine’s main contribution is going to be psychological. But as out current hysteria is based on psychology more than genuine risk, I am good with that.

Unfortunately, the Israeli version of Fauci has pointed out that vaccines are typically most effective for those folks who aren’t particularly prone to dying from the virus. The vaccine’s main contribution is going to be psychological. But as out current hysteria is based on psychology more than genuine risk, I am good with that.
Keeping those people for whom the vaccine is effective virus free offers protections to those for whom a vaccine is problematic. A vaccine that doesn't prevent an infection in a particular individual will also often mitigate it's effects.That's not "psychology", that's science.

Reactions: 86Hawkeye
I am glad they are bringing this to light on how vaccines work. I wish they started earlier because 99.9% of America are not vaccine experts. We will obviously see the Joe Blows use this as a way to score political points and say the vaccine is pointless, since they are sell acclaimed experts in all things medical now. Our medical community and governments (local, state, federal) need to do a way better job on the education piece of the vaccine and continue to educate because that will be the biggest hurdle on average Americans and the social media turds understanding the actual science behind it.

We need to educate, educate, educate!! #vaccinate #dontbeanantivaxxerdouchebagterrorist

We don't really struggle to get one that works with the flu though. It actually works quite well...we struggle predicting which strain will be needed.

Reactions: BrunoMars420
ADVERTISEMENT