ADVERTISEMENT

Covid 19 Vaccine goal is to be 50% effective

Just as a clarification to the thread title...50% effective isn't the goal, it's the minimum acceptable level for approval.
What you say is true. But me calling the 50% figure a goal I dont feel is wrong either. You can have a goal of 100%(completely unattainable) and a 50% as also a goal. More of a realistic goal.

The OP is the perfect example of who needs educated lol

Maybe, but Dr. Faucci calls the vaccine just a tool. This was after months of just wait till the vaccine. Did I expect 100% absolutely not? But he seems to be downplaying how effective it will be as we get closer to a vaccine being released to the public.

Maybe, but Dr. Faucci calls the vaccine just a tool. This was after months of just wait till the vaccine. Did I expect 100% absolutely not? But he seems to be downplaying how effective it will be as we get closer to a vaccine being released to the public.

He's hedging for his reputation.

Reactions: Finance85

Just read your thread...you are complaining that something that would normally take years to a decade to accomplish is gonna be done in months but not to a decades worth of research/data standards

Just read your thread...you are complaining that something that would normally take years to a decade to accomplish is gonna be done in months but not to a decades worth of research/data standards
There has never been a laser like focus on getting a vaccine for a virus from the whole world.

Most people seem to have never thought this through. When you ask them, ‘how long will we need to wear masks and physically distance?’
They say, ‘until there is a vaccine’.
Apparently not realizing there will still be plenty of active cases when a vaccine exists.

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan
Immunity should last as long as most other virus immunities, from one to three years.

I linked some recent articles here:

https://iowa.forums.rivals.com/thre...-are-we-getting-each-day.325022/#post-7975737

Yes, more seems to be coming out on probably longer term T-Cell (I think) response. Frankly I am starting to think (hope) C19 is going to get 1 shot of doing lasting damage to those that get it and once our immune system is familiarized with it the chance of sever outcomes will be greatly diminished (provided it didn’t do lasting damage the first time...which frankly is a big wild card of unknown right now).

This is also why not allowing the virus to run wild now while a vaccine is likely not that far off (5-8 months away) bc during this first round of infection it isn’t developing herd immunity but rather it is culling of the herd and I think that is an awful approach to take, the proof is the nearly 160k dead in the US which looks like could be around 300k by years end.

Got to give the vaccine approach a shot before just pushing chips all in on herd immunity via active infection...that doesn’t mean full lockdowns but it does mean bars, in dining restaurants, movie theaters, schools, etc are likely effed or better put, under constant disruption based on level of the current immunity spread.

We don’t need to throw away members of our society for Riblets and Chicken Fingers Fingers.

Reactions: Kenneth Griffin
Most people seem to have never thought this through. When you ask them, ‘how long will we need to wear masks and physically distance?’
Apparently not realizing there will still be plenty of active cases when a vaccine exists.

Ahhhhh, if you have been vaccinated and the vaccine is as effective as what some are indicating then even if you do get it your body knows how to deal with it and negative outcomes plummet...that is what the vaccine is for, there will likely always be active cases w C19 it’s just that vaccinations take the teeth out of it.

Reactions: Kenneth Griffin
This is disappointing news. I know that the virus is mutating, if ever so slowly. We could hope that it mutates itself into some far less dangerous. But it could also get more dangerous. Even if it does the former, it could take years for it to mutate into a more inert form.

Ahhhhh, if you have been vaccinated and the vaccine is as effective as what some are indicating then even if you do get it your body knows how to deal with it and negative outcomes plummet...that is what the vaccine is for, there will likely always be active cases w C19 it’s just that vaccinations take the teeth out of it.

Lots of people will not get vaccinated.

If the vaccine brings the r(t) to < than 1 masks will not be needed

This is where education is so damn crucial.

Lots of people will not get vaccinated.

Right, but that doesn’t mean the vaccine won’t be effective in those that do get it. Like the flu vaccine it might not keep you from contracting the virus but rather will limit the impact of the illness.

I am glad they are bringing this to light on how vaccines work. I wish they started earlier because 99.9% of America are not vaccine experts. We will obviously see the Joe Blows use this as a way to score political points and say the vaccine is pointless, since they are sell acclaimed experts in all things medical now. Our medical community and governments (local, state, federal) need to do a way better job on the education piece of the vaccine and continue to educate because that will be the biggest hurdle on average Americans and the social media turds understanding the actual science behind it.

We need to educate, educate, educate!! #vaccinate #dontbeanantivaxxerdouchebagterrorist

We don't have a reliable source for the public to gain information. How could any level of government be the voice when the Orange Turd has the microphone, spewing nonsense and bullshit while experts within the government agencies having the knowledge and expertise are throttled, and influence silenced.

It is pathetic, in that this is life and death situation to thousands. It is not over, and this crisis is continuing. The Orange Turd, by his control and direct ownership of information flow and testing is responsible for this American crisis.

This had to have been entrusted to the scientific community which has the facilities and communication networks to handle it. The CDC is the world leader in this field, and it has been relegated to the equivalent of a parking lot.

This will be the worst of the many boils on the Orange Turd corpse.

We don't have a reliable source for the public to gain information. How could any level of government be the voice when the Orange Turd has the microphone, spewing nonsense and bullshit while experts within the government agencies having the knowledge and expertise are throttled, and influence silenced.

It is pathetic, in that this is life and death situation to thousands. It is not over, and this crisis is continuing. The Orange Turd, by his control and direct ownership of information flow and testing is responsible for this American crisis.

This had to have been entrusted to the scientific community which has the facilities and communication networks to handle it. The CDC is the world leader in this field, and it has been relegated to the equivalent of a parking lot.

This will be the worst of the many boils on the Orange Turd corpse.
As pessimistic as you are sounding on this, we do have a reliable source to gain this knowledge. We have to depend on our local governments and community health professionals to educate.

I do agree Trump has screwed the pooch hard with his leadership on this but Democrats shouldn’t escape the blame either. They all deserve blame as they tried to turn this into a political shit show for their own gain but I guess that’s what happens during election year. Just trash from leadership all around

Reactions: hawkcub and unIowa
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT