ADVERTISEMENT

Covid and Iowa high school football.

Any positive tests or just contact tracing/exposure? You’re posting schools, but no facts about cases.
At L-S High School (they do not wear masks in school, or at least it isn't required), a volleyball player, a cross country runner, and a football player all tested positive for Covid. With contact tracing, that put about half the school in quarantine. Sounds like the superintendent wants to go hybrid when they return, he says social distancing isn't possible when everyone is in attendance.

At L-S High School (they do not wear masks in school, or at least it isn't required), a volleyball player, a cross country runner, and a football player all tested positive for Covid. With contact tracing, that put about half the school in quarantine. Sounds like the superintendent wants to go hybrid when they return, he says social distancing isn't possible when everyone is in attendance.
Wonder what kind of scheduling they’re on. We’re in blocking scheduling with the same 4 classes everyday. Our school also has a mask mandate but that doesn’t matter with contact tracing. They try to limit the movement of all the kids, and all high school kids have open campus for lunch spread over 4 lunch period. Very few stay and eat in the school. Of course we’re a smaller school work 300 +/-.

We've been lucky. I only know of one positive. 2000+ students. Our K-6 went full time this week, rest go full middle of October.

I am crossing my fingers. We've been fairly pro-active and non-negotiable when it comes to masks and distancing. It has been a constant battle though and the kids are tiring of it. I'm not expecting our "success" to last.

Wonder what kind of scheduling they’re on. We’re in blocking scheduling with the same 4 classes everyday. Our school also has a mask mandate but that doesn’t matter with contact tracing. They try to limit the movement of all the kids, and all high school kids have open campus for lunch spread over 4 lunch period. Very few stay and eat in the school. Of course we’re a smaller school work 300 +/-.
I am not sure on that, but they are even smaller with around 150 high school students, I believe. Where my wife teaches, masks are required and the students stay in the same room all day, the teachers rotate from room to room. Also the cafeteria is completely closed, students go in groups to pick up their lunches and then eat in the same classroom each day. It sounds miserable for the teachers.

Much to the chagrin of @MitchLL , another 290 teams successfully played a game this past week. Thats 5 straight weeks of ~90% + games being played.
Hopefully you’re not counting IC and DM schools not playing. It’s not due to actual exposure or positive tests.

The virus is still spreading and the State of Iowa is still considered a "hot spot". And I'll tell you one of the reasons... the Covid guidelines are being very loosely enforced and the high school athletes are helping spread.

This was handled poorly from the start of Kimmy's weak response. I seriously doubt people thought in March that the virus would still a problem heading into the winter sports season.

And just for context... the reason more schools/games haven't been cancelled is because the various County Health Boards/Schools don't have the available employees to do accurate contact tracing. They are overwhelmed and are letting stuff go unchecked. Add in the fact that the temperature checks are voluntary and it's a "don't ask/don't tell" approach.

Doesn't help that the IHSAA is a bunch of corrupt pricks.

The virus is still spreading and the State of Iowa is still considered a "hot spot". And I'll tell you one of the reasons... the Covid guidelines are being very loosely enforced and the high school athletes are helping spread.

This was handled poorly from the start of Kimmy's weak response. I seriously doubt people thought in March that the virus would still a problem heading into the winter sports season.

And just for context... the reason more schools/games haven't been cancelled is because the various County Health Boards/Schools don't have the available employees to do accurate contact tracing. They are overwhelmed and are letting stuff go unchecked. Add in the fact that the temperature checks are voluntary and it's a "don't ask/don't tell" approach.

Lol

Reactions: Hammer93
You don't have to believe me, but I know certain things about certain situations which make my opinions valid.

Too many people still downplay the problem for selfish reasons. Just observe next time you go out in public.

...hero in his own mind.

Who is? If you're referring to me... you're way off.

I love watching high school sports, but how some teams/kids are eligible and some aren't is a freaking joke !
Yes, I'm absolutely referring to you. You speak in absolutes, but when questioned, or shown legitimate contradictory info, you simply ignore or go off on a borderline conspiracy theorist tangent.
Whether you recognize it or not, your replies to this thread at this point are nothing more than outlandish claims taken for entertainment purposes only.

Yes, I'm absolutely referring to you. You speak in absolutes, but when questioned, or shown legitimate contradictory info, you simply ignore or go off on a borderline conspiracy theorist tangent.
Whether you recognize it or not, your replies to this thread at this point are nothing more than outlandish claims taken for entertainment purposes only.
Uh, no. We've gone back and forth , so I don't know when I mentioned it, but my daughter has gone back and forth with County Health and school officials regarding my grandson's quarantine and she says she gets a different explanation every time she talks to someone. So my info comes from personal knowledge of one, specific situation. So, yes... I do have first hand info.

You, on the other hand... continually quote some random stats from CDC or IDPH that has potentially been manipulated and falsified from the WH or Iowa's Governor.

So I know I'm not full of shit. But you ... not so sure? Tell me your personal dealings with Covid and quarantines.

You, on the other hand... continually quote some random stats from CDC or IDPH that has potentially been manipulated and falsified from the WH or Iowa's Governor.

So I know I'm not full of shit. But you ... not so sure? Tell me your personal dealings with Covid and quarantines.
Only in your world do annicdoctal experiences trump state, national and international verifiable datasets.

Additionally, you can't discount data from orgs like the CDC or IDPH while simultaneously claiming those same sources when the numbers fit your narrative. They're either legitimate or illegitimate, in your eyes, can't be both.

Last edited:
Uh, no. We've gone back and forth , so I don't know when I mentioned it, but my daughter has gone back and forth with County Health and school officials regarding my grandson's quarantine and she says she gets a different explanation every time she talks to someone. So my info comes from personal knowledge of one, specific situation. So, yes... I do have first hand info.

All counties are different in how they handle this. Not really their fault it is different. If your grandson was around someone that tested positive, then yes, contract tracing says you need to quarantine for 14 days. It is what it is. If he was around them for 15 minutes or more that is how it is. Hope I helped you and your daughter understand it better.

This is not true. If contract tracing is unable to be done by an individual county, then they let the state know and the state takes care of it. Things are not going 'unchecked'. Stop spreading lies.

All counties are different in how they handle this. Not really their fault it is different. If your grandson was around someone that tested positive, then yes, contract tracing says you need to quarantine for 14 days. It is what it is. If he was around them for 15 minutes or more that is how it is. Hope I helped you and your daughter understand it better.
There is no justification for this to be handled differently from County to County. This all flows down from the Gov's office and State entities.

Citizens expect leadership and equitable treatment. That's not asking too much. What the State has done is basically "washing their hands" on enforcement. The same principles that came back in March/April with Reynold's "I trust Iowans to do the right thing".

My grandson is back to practicing now, but with no guarantees that the exact same scenario can't play out again.

If Kimmy can't lead... resign and let someone else do it.

This is not true. If contract tracing is unable to be done by an individual county, then they let the state know and the state takes care of it. Things are not going 'unchecked'. Stop spreading lies.
There is a giant backlog. You can't believe a Reynold's backed IDPH is equipped to handle this? They can't handle testing. They surely aren't capable of contact tracing. The State has tried to push all responsibility to others.

That's not a lie. It's reality. Ignorance doesn't make the problem go away.

You're better than this.

That is not true. Many counties want to do their own contact tracing. They've been able to use federal money to hire and pay for additional help. Those that don't want to do contract tracing or can't, just let the state know and they handle the contract tracing for those counties. With help that they have hired and paid for with federal money.
Trust me, I have a better understanding of what is actually happening here, than what your daughter and grandson are telling you.

Why is your grandson even at school or playing sports? Far too dangerous for others according to you...just not for your own family I guess.

Does your grandkids know you sit on message boards and complain about everything all day long? If so I'm sure they are very proud.

Does your grandkids know you sit on message boards and complain about everything all day long? If so I'm sure they are very proud.
Why would you what I bitch about? This Covid thing has highlited some leadership problems with the IHSAA, the IDPH, and most profoundly, Kim Reynolds.

Regarding my grandkids... they all know the support they get from my wife and me.

I have free time on my hands and I like to debate. What better place than message boards?

We can't travel on vacations, my wife still won't go to theatres or restaurants. That's because of weak Republican leadership at multiple levels. So here I am.

That is not true. Many counties want to do their own contact tracing. They've been able to use federal money to hire and pay for additional help. Those that don't want to do contract tracing or can't, just let the state know and they handle the contract tracing for those counties. With help that they have hired and paid for with federal money.
Trust me, I have a better understanding of what is actually happening here, than what your daughter and grandson are telling you.

Why is your grandson even at school or playing sports? Far too dangerous for others according to you...just not for your own family I guess.
Please explain to me what your qualifiations are or your position. Otherwise, I'm calling bullshit.

Why would you what I bitch about? This Covid thing has highlited some leadership problems with the IHSAA, the IDPH, and most profoundly, Kim Reynolds.

Regarding my grandkids... they all know the support they get from my wife and me.

I have free time on my hands and I like to debate. What better place than message boards?

We can't travel on vacations, my wife still won't go to theatres or restaurants. That's because of weak Republican leadership at multiple levels. So here I am.

"debate" infers some level cognitive accord. What you are is a partisan troll.

"debate" infers some level cognitive accord. What you are is a partisan troll.
Recognizing inadequate leadership hardly qualifies as a partisan troll. Even supposedly non political departments such as the IHSAA and IDPH, and CDC have been corrupted.

Recognizing inadequate leadership hardly qualifies as a partisan troll. Even supposedly non political departments such as the IHSAA and IDPH, and CDC have been corrupted.
Which state leaders do you feel have done, in your twisted world view opinion, a good job? And by which metric(s) do you form that opinion? I know you already mentioned DeWine, and we debunked that by the most common measures, so who else?

Please explain to me what your qualifiations are or your position. Otherwise, I'm calling bullshit.

I can tell you that tomorrow the Governor will be making an announcement regarding a big change to the quarantine guidelines. Which will virtually eliminate the need for most schools and football teams needing to quarantine anymore.
It is going to make you very mad. But, it is based in data from Iowa and other states.
If what I say turns out to be true, then you can be assured that I know far more about this than you do.

The business owners that I know thank God for Kim Reynolds for giving them the ability to run business' safely. They praise her for giving them the ability to open and operate safely. They also understand that she takes a lot of heat when she could have taken the safe route and closed everything up.

I can tell you that tomorrow the Governor will be making an announcement regarding a big change to the quarantine guidelines. Which will virtually eliminate the need for most schools and football teams needing to quarantine anymore.
It is going to make you very mad. But, it is based in data from Iowa and other states.
If what I say turns out to be true, then you can be assured that I know far more about this than you do.
Just as an aside... my daughter works for one of the two largest hospitals in CR and had been DIRECTLY involved with Covid cases and treatments since March. So you can cease the demeaning comments insinuating some uneducated, uninformed parent in this instance.

Your prediction for Tuesday is "too little/too late". Reynolds and her minions are likely making a political statement resulting from Biden's surge in Iowa polling. So you can understand why there will be much skepiticism with this "marvelous" announcement. Relaxing guidelines would be just another change to her famous "metrics" that changed weekly last spring.

This prediction has all the markings of DeSantis in Florida relaxing restrictions.

Talk about a political hack.

BTW: Still waiting for your position or qualifications?

Last edited:
The business owners that I know thank God for Kim Reynolds for giving them the ability to run business' safely. They praise her for giving them the ability to open and operate safely. They also understand that she takes a lot of heat when she could have taken the safe route and closed everything up.
List of those business owners you know?

Which state leaders do you feel have done, in your twisted world view opinion, a good job? And by which metric(s) do you form that opinion? I know you already mentioned DeWine, and we debunked that by the most common measures, so who else?
You didn't debunk anything. Political pressure from the WH and the Iowa Statehouse have watered down most data.

Or in your President's world... Fake news!

You didn't debunk anything. Political pressure from the WH and the Iowa Statehouse have watered down most data.

Or in your President's world... Fake news!
Again, which states do you feel have done a good job and by which metric(s)?

And for the fourth time, I have no affiliation w/ the republican party. Stop thinking youre the smartest person in the room.

I manage shopping centers for a living. I am not providing you jack.
Which makes your claim that you know business owners that praise Reynolds irrelevant. Make a claim and don't back it up.😏 I put that one in the same column as Trump promising a vaccine by election day.

Which makes your claim that you know business owners that praise Reynolds irrelevant. Make a claim and don't back it up.😏 I put that one in the same column as Trump promising a vaccine by election day.
You dont see the hypocrisy and irony? No one has made more unfounded claims in this thread than you have.

Reactions: Hammer93
You dont see the hypocrisy and irony? No one has made more unfounded claims in this thread than you have.
And you're the one posting "doctored" CDC/IDPH data. You see why I'm skeptical of everything you post? The WH has pressured the health agencies with every move.

Once the WH realized the pandemic was the #1 voter issue for this fall, guidelines changed, testing was reduced, ,,, they even went as far as to say death counts were exaggerated. The only good part about the "Exaggerated Death Claims" is that is is now in campaign attach ads against our Joni.

You are equally guilty of politicizing the issues.

And you're the one posting "doctored" CDC/IDPH data. You see why I'm skeptical of everything you post? The WH has pressured the health agencies with every move.

Once the WH realized the pandemic was the #1 voter issue for this fall, guidelines changed, testing was reduced, ,,, they even went as far as to say death counts were exaggerated. The only good part about the "Exaggerated Death Claims" is that is is now in campaign attach ads against our Joni.

Do you acknowledge how constantly referring to the only banks of comprehensive data as "doctored", "manipulated", etc can easily be thought of as conspiracy theories and it takes any semblence of credibility you had on page 1 of this thread and completely destroyed it?

For the 3rd time, which state leaders have done a good job, in your eyes and by which metric(s)?
And just to save time knowing it takes at least 4x asking to get an answer; which state leaders have done a good job, in your eyes, and by which metric(s)?

What data can you provide to show testing has decreased? According to Johns Hopkins (do you have a problem w/ Johns Hopkins now too?), testing has remained flat or increased in 72% of the states WoW.

In fact, here is a nice graph showing national testing numbers. Looks like testing is trending up. So keep making your claims with ZERO evidence to backup it up, and ill keep showing you all the data that refutes every point you try to make.

Reactions: Pinehawk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT