ADVERTISEMENT

Covid and Iowa high school football.

Do you understand that 7 teams is not "substantially"? I first thought it was English that was your downfall, but perhaps it is arithmetic?
Stay tuned. As I said... there are teams that are not reporting and/or keeping quiet.

Anyone know if it’s due to going full online, if it’s due to positive tests or school board decision? Depending on the county and if it’s due to positive tests then there would have to be a lot of positive tests. In Des Moines county it’s only the positive test and those directly linked. If teams are following proper protocols then it would be the whole team.
The Iowa City schools are having their sports shut down for two weeks because they are planning for 100% online schooling. The Governor's mandate shut them down.

Stay tuned. As I said... there are teams that are not reporting and/or keeping quiet.

There are likely many, many sports teams across the country that are agreeing internally to not get tested for COVID as the rules in place stating 1 positive case effectively shuts down entire teams. So you have HS teams in other states where the entire team agrees to go online only school (where it's allowed) so they aren't taken out by the arcane rules that require automatic 14-day quarantine for anyone in proximity to a positive test. They don't want to have their season cancelled due to a random student in social studies they happened to sit next to test positive.

I'm not saying that this approach is wrong or right, but people will do what they can to be able to have their seasons.

The Iowa City schools are having their sports shut down for two weeks because they are planning for 100% online schooling. The Governor's mandate shut them down.

It's too bad. I'm sure from the governor's side they would argue that the school's decision to go online only is what shut them down. But now it's semantics. either way, they should be figuring out a way to let sports teams play. If it is ultimately about the kids, then do what's right for them.

Reactions: pmtdc
Teams I have heard shut down, Mason City, Osage, Charles City, Beckman, Mid Prairie, Dunkerton and Maquoketa. Im sure we will have more as the season goes on just like in the summer survive and hope your healthy for the post season. The Iowa city community schools as well as Ames are still playing this week but then they are going to a 2 week on line classes so according to the Govener if you go all on line you cant have sporting events during that time. This should be local control not the gov telling each district what they have to do.
Thank you for the actual list.

By my count, there are 331 high schools that play football in the state of Iowa.

There are likely many, many sports teams across the country that are agreeing internally to not get tested for COVID as the rules in place stating 1 positive case effectively shuts down entire teams. So you have HS teams in other states where the entire team agrees to go online only school (where it's allowed) so they aren't taken out by the arcane rules that require automatic 14-day quarantine for anyone in proximity to a positive test. They don't want to have their season cancelled due to a random student in social studies they happened to sit next to test positive.

I'm not saying that this approach is wrong or right, but people will do what they can to be able to have their seasons.

Except it is local county public health determining everything. If reported to public health. So as we saw with summer sports. each county has different rules to this

Teams I have heard shut down, Mason City, Osage, Charles City, Beckman, Mid Prairie, Dunkerton and Maquoketa. Im sure we will have more as the season goes on just like in the summer survive and hope your healthy for the post season. The Iowa city community schools as well as Ames are still playing this week but then they are going to a 2 week on line classes so according to the Govener if you go all on line you cant have sporting events during that time. This should be local control not the gov telling each district what they have to do.
Insofar as Mason City is concerned, our ‘shutdown” consists of not playing this week’s and next week’s game. Our situation was exposure amongst a subgroup of the coaching staff (no kid are positive or were exposed). The ill are in isolation, while the non-exposed are leading practice. Plan is to resuming competitive play in 2 weeks, subject to no new positives.

Des Moines schools will be the same next week.

Summer sports were a huge success in Iowa. Very little issues and nobody (to my knowledge) had any major issues. Football should be fine as well. As long as everyone is really trying to make it work and not trying to be political.

The difference is school is in session now so lots more kids are getting in close proximity now in school.

Personal story.....a certain relative of mine, who is a varsity football player at an Iowa high school, was sent home from school on Tuesday for being in the same class as a kid who showed sympthoms and eventually tested positive. At that time was told no practice /games for 14 days. OK... makes sense. Something like 60 students and 10 volleyball/football players in the same boat.

Then after a few parents started raising holy hell, the County BOH gets involved. Then the State BOH gets involved. By Thursday afternoon, vast majority all return to school and practice with no restrictions and life goes on.

My point.... this is a giant CLUSTER$#@% and is apparently being handled differently at each high school. The high school office is in chaos and the phones are ringing off the hook with questions from parents asking who's calling the shots and who's in charge?

Personal story.....a certain relative of mine, who is a varsity football player at an Iowa high school, was sent home from school on Tuesday for being in the same class as a kid who showed sympthoms and eventually tested positive. At that time was told no practice /games for 14 days. OK... makes sense. Something like 60 students and 10 volleyball/football players in the same boat.

Then after a few parents started raising holy hell, the County BOH gets involved. Then the State BOH gets involved. By Thursday afternoon, vast majority all return to school and practice with no restrictions and life goes on.

My point.... this is a giant CLUSTER$#@% and is apparently being handled differently at each high school. The high school office is in chaos and the phones are ringing off the hook with questions from parents asking who's calling the shots and who's in charge?
The school is supposed to work with the county department of health to contact trace. And it depends on how that particular school is handling classes. Are they full in person every day? Are they A/B day with half each day? Do they require masks? Are they spread out?

Reactions: WSC72
Ugh... I am a teacher in the ICCSD and said this in a thread on the off topic board. The school board did NOT shut down sports by going all online. The governor also granted us a waiver to start online due to an over 20% positivity rate in the county. Here are some things to consider.

1- All sports can still compete this week because we aren't in school yet anyway.

2- The school board does not want to shut sports down. They said as much in the school board meeting Saturday. The state's policy is that if you are online then you can't play sports.

3- The district, along with others, are in court today against Gov. Reynolds to gain local control and make decisons for our district on a local level. If we win, there will be sports.
If it is not safe to be in school part time it isn't safe to be playing sports. Sorry that Iowa City thinks they can have it both ways.

Ugh... I am a teacher in the ICCSD and said this in a thread on the off topic board. The school board did NOT shut down sports by going all online. The governor also granted us a waiver to start online due to an over 20% positivity rate in the county. Here are some things to consider.

1- All sports can still compete this week because we aren't in school yet anyway.

2- The school board does not want to shut sports down. They said as much in the school board meeting Saturday. The state's policy is that if you are online then you can't play sports.

3- The district, along with others, are in court today against Gov. Reynolds to gain local control and make decisons for our district on a local level. If we win, there will be sports.
I saw Des Moines Public Schools, which start Tuesday online, will have no more football after tonight, unless they get back to in person or hybrid school at some point.

As far as the in class verses on-line, guess the governor is pulling an old rule from the iahsaa book. Don’t know if it is still a rule or not, but in order for an athlete to participate in that evening’s event, the athlete HAD to be in class during that school day. The exception was a Saturday event which meant that the athlete had to be in class on Friday.

Reactions: MitchLL
If it is not safe to be in school part time it isn't safe to be playing sports. Sorry that Iowa City thinks they can have it both ways.

I would disagree. Would you rather sit in my class with 35 kids breathing the same recycled air for 45 minutes or would you rather be outside? There have been studies done showing how unlikely it is to contract the virus outside with the spread of droplets and the lack of in person contact for more than 15 minutes at a time. It also gives kids an insentive to follow protocol and social distance. It would also do wonders for social/emotional health of these athletes and families. Finally, there are kids going to online school all over the state that are playing sports in the hybrid model.

Not accurate. City and West play tonight. An appeal is in to allow ICCSD High schools to continue after tonight’s game.

Sorry, I know that. I thought the original poster was refering to COVID in the program, not the legislation. Unfortunately, we will not get the results of the lawsuit until next week. At this time the games, meets, etc... are still being played until we have further notice.

I saw Des Moines Public Schools, which start Tuesday online, will have no more football after tonight, unless they get back to in person or hybrid school at some point.

That was a decision that they made. They could have played this Friday still. Des Moines has been really conservative in it's approach to handling COVID. They seem t

it’s obvious there is a good chunk of society that are miserable people, they were before Covid, and they are upset when people are not as miserable as they are. These are the people in your neighborhood that you avoid on your walks because all they do is complain about life in general.
Mr%20Rodgers%20bullshit%20before.jpg

LOL.....I agree with you statement. ;)

well well we will see that in public records then.
You really think if Reynold's reps are strong arming the Athletic Associations that it will be public record?

I can almost guarantee it was likely a personal meeting or something that wouldn't leave a trail. You forget who Kimmy's mentor was.

Nanc was on national tv 3 hours after her little salon trip saying how people have to follow rules and wear their masks. OMFG. She is the gift that keeps on giving.
Off the subject, but NP is the one person that triggers the cons and yet still can intimidate the WH. Arguably, the most powerful person in D.C.

WTF does that comment have to do with the current discussion?

What Pelosi does has nothing to do with high school sports in Iowa. What Kimmy does is relevant, tho.

We get it. You're a Trumpster.

It has to do with the fact that the poster to whom I was responding had previously responded to another poster who said, "
Why aren't all efforts being put into primarily protecting the high risk population?
Did I miss something?

By stating

"Well, they are.........."

Except allowing 80 year olds into salons without masks while banning 20 year olds from entering those same salons is clearly not putting all efforts into protecting the high risk population. In fact, it's the exact oppostie.

Try to follow along next time.

It has to do with the fact that the poster to whom I was responding had previously responded to another poster who said, "

By stating

"Well, they are.........."

Except allowing 80 year olds into salons without masks while banning 20 year olds from entering those same salons is clearly not putting all efforts into protecting the high risk population. In fact, it's the exact oppostie.

Try to follow along next time.
Go to Page one and reread the topic being discussed.

Then follow your own advice.

TIA.

You don't DGAF about an 80 yr ld woman, but are convinced that all efforts are being put into protecting the vulnarable? And more importantly, one of the most powerful totalitarians who regularly advocates for exploiting the little people, while ignoring the rules herself, but want others to have some decency?

Maybe you outght to learn a little decency yourself.
you are quite the drama queen . lol

I would disagree. Would you rather sit in my class with 35 kids breathing the same recycled air for 45 minutes or would you rather be outside? There have been studies done showing how unlikely it is to contract the virus outside with the spread of droplets and the lack of in person contact for more than 15 minutes at a time. It also gives kids an insentive to follow protocol and social distance. It would also do wonders for social/emotional health of these athletes and families. Finally, there are kids going to online school all over the state that are playing sports in the hybrid model.

Sorry, I know that. I thought the original poster was refering to COVID in the program, not the legislation. Unfortunately, we will not get the results of the lawsuit until next week. At this time the games, meets, etc... are still being played until we have further notice.

That was a decision that they made. They could have played this Friday still. Des Moines has been really conservative in it's approach to handling COVID. They seem t
Here is the part that I want the IC Board to explain. You think it is so unsafe to have any kids in school. You have been bitching for 2 months that you just can't go back because it is not safe. Now IC is blowing up with COVID because of the university. So tell me why it would be safe to have kids playing sports coming into contact with others when you think it is life and death with school? If it is not safe then you can't play that simple. Explain your way out of it. I think IC could have found a way to do the part time school with the online and play sports. They don't want to even try so no sports because of the safety factor.

Here is the part that I want the IC Board to explain. You think it is so unsafe to have any kids in school. You have been bitching for 2 months that you just can't go back because it is not safe. Now IC is blowing up with COVID because of the university. So tell me why it would be safe to have kids playing sports coming into contact with others when you think it is life and death with school? If it is not safe then you can't play that simple. Explain your way out of it. I think IC could have found a way to do the part time school with the online and play sports. They don't want to even try so no sports because of the safety factor.

I suspect the various differences will be noted as a starting point. A couple hundred kids in sports the majority of which are played outdoors versus nearly a couple thousand students confined indoors in fairly close proximity. A couple of hours of practice time per day versus seven hours a day in classrooms. Learning can occur remotely versus sports being impossible in a remote environment. That’s where I’d start anyway.

It's only your problem that you imagine an 80 year old women without a mask in a closed salon that is off limits 20 year olds with masks is an exaple of how to proect the most vulnerable.
quit being a little bitch. Wear a mask if the place asks. Sorry if that was blunt but man, you sure seem to believe this will end with normacly

Reactions: papabeef

Did the schools tell them "you, the parents are in charge"?......

Bet that'll shut them up........or really piss them off. :cool:

I suspect the various differences will be noted as a starting point. A couple hundred kids in sports the majority of which are played outdoors versus nearly a couple thousand students confined indoors in fairly close proximity. A couple of hours of practice time per day versus seven hours a day in classrooms. Learning can occur remotely versus sports being impossible in a remote environment. That’s where I’d start anyway.
So you are saying it is safe. Also your points don't add up. If school is not safe then sports are not safe either. It is also nor fair to have any kids ruled ineligible because if they are not really in school how can they ineligible for any reason?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT