ADVERTISEMENT

Covid and Iowa high school football.

MitchLL

HR Legend
Dec 26, 2018
The list is growing, substantially, for Iowa high school programs cancelling for the next two weeks.

Who didn't see this coming?

I didn’t figure all schools would play every game.

damn them for trying.

amazing all the kids that died from high school baseball and all the travel leagues this past summer.

it’s obvious there is a good chunk of society that are miserable people, they were before Covid, and they are upset when people are not as miserable as they are. These are the people in your neighborhood that you avoid on your walks because all they do is complain about life in general.

Last edited:

The school board shut fall sports down because they were online only, not because of players testing positive. People on here want hs football to fail. They are leftist pussies.

Ugh... I am a teacher in the ICCSD and said this in a thread on the off topic board. The school board did NOT shut down sports by going all online. The governor also granted us a waiver to start online due to an over 20% positivity rate in the county. Here are some things to consider.

1- All sports can still compete this week because we aren't in school yet anyway.

2- The school board does not want to shut sports down. They said as much in the school board meeting Saturday. The state's policy is that if you are online then you can't play sports.

3- The district, along with others, are in court today against Gov. Reynolds to gain local control and make decisons for our district on a local level. If we win, there will be sports.

Ugh... I am a teacher in the ICCSD and said this in a thread on the off topic board. The school board did NOT shut down sports by going all online. The governor also granted us a waiver to start online due to an over 20% positivity rate in the county. Here are some things to consider.

1- All sports can still compete this week because we aren't in school yet anyway.

2- The school board does not want to shut sports down. They said as much in the school board meeting Saturday. The state's policy is that if you are online then you can't play sports.

3- The district, along with others, are in court today against Gov. Reynolds to gain local control and make decisons for our district on a local level. If we win, there will be sports.

I dont believe what this school board and most of the district's teachers say at this point. Sorry

Teams I have heard shut down, Mason City, Osage, Charles City, Beckman, Mid Prairie, Dunkerton and Maquoketa. Im sure we will have more as the season goes on just like in the summer survive and hope your healthy for the post season. The Iowa city community schools as well as Ames are still playing this week but then they are going to a 2 week on line classes so according to the Govener if you go all on line you cant have sporting events during that time. This should be local control not the gov telling each district what they have to do.

Last edited:
Teams I have heard shut down, Mason City, Osage, Charles City, Beckman, Mid Prairie, Dunkerton and Maquoketa. Im sure we will have more as the season goes on just like in the summer survive and hope your healthy for the post season. The Iowa city community schools as well as Ames are still playing this week but then they are going to a 2 week on line classes so according to the Govener if you go all on line you cant have sporting events during that time. This should be local control not the gov telling each district what they have to do.

So which is it? "The list is growing substanitally" as the OP claimed, or 7 schools have shut down as you claimed?

Somebody has their wires crossed.

Edit: Also, just curious what has caused those who shut down to shut down? Was it because half the football team tested positive, and they can't play football? Or because a overall school/community outbreak that wasn't the result of football, and would have occurred in the absence of football?

So which is it? "The list is growing substanitally" as the OP claimed, or 7 schools have shut down as you claimed?

Edit: Also, just curious what has caused those who shut down to shut down? Was it because half the football team tested positive, and they can't play football? Or because a overall school/community outbreak that wasn't the result of football, and would have occurred in the absence of football?
[/QUOTE

These schools have canceled games for this week based on team or schools notifacation. It does not specify if football players were positive or under quarenteen because of contact with an in fected person. I know based on twitter that Regina as of last night is traveling up to Clear Lake to play as both their opponants in Mid Prairie and Osage have positive tests. Might just get used to this happening all year with differnt teams. Your hope is it doesnt happen in week 6 because if it does your season is over.

By "growing", the number of schools not playing or players in quarantine continues to rise. This is actually an understated figure.

You know damn well there's people with sympthoms not reporting. No one said players were dying. But this is about a weak response from the State and not enforcing mitigation efforts. Go watch the student section at any game.

By "growing", the number of schools not playing or players in quarantine continues to rise. This is actually an understated figure.

You know damn well there's people with sympthoms not reporting. No one said players were dying. But this is about a weak response from the State and not enforcing mitigation efforts. Go watch the student section at any game.

I have pretty severe fall allergies every year. My scratchy throat and cough are allergies. as is my runny nose. I take a allergy pill and things are better. If you have 2 symptoms, and mainly a fever and shortness of breath, then you go get tested.

Mid Prairie v Regina cancelled. This is Regina’s 2nd game being cancelled. They have rescheduled with Clear Lake.

Anyone know if it’s due to going full online, if it’s due to positive tests or school board decision? Depending on the county and if it’s due to positive tests then there would have to be a lot of positive tests. In Des Moines county it’s only the positive test and those directly linked. If teams are following proper protocols then it would be the whole team.

I'm definitely not a right winger, but I'm glad Iowa high schools are at least trying to play Fall sports and I'm glad they tried Summer sports. Seems like they have a plan to both try and play and keep the people involved safe.
Didn’t just try summer sports, they were successful. 95% of teams finished the year and 90% were not impacted at all. They even had stricter rules on positives than fall sports does.

Reactions: SPGroth and NI hawk
Didn’t just try summer sports, they were successful. 95% of teams finished the year and 90% were not impacted at all. They even had stricter rules on positives than fall sports does.
While I'm glad they're playing fall sports, baseball and softball were successful in large part because the players weren't in school everyday around hundreds of others. Having the kids in school is a huge reason why a lot of these football (and maybe volleyball) teams either have to cancel or have a chunk of their players out. I saw where ADM had 17 players out last week due to quarantine. They didn't have to cancel but that is a huge impact for a school of that size.

So the substantially part of "growing substantially" was hyperbole, and nobody has any evidence that the actual act of playing football has had any impact on the closures?

So the substantially part of "growing substantially" was hyperbole, and nobody has any evidence that the actual act of playing football has had any impact on the closures?

Football will be cancelled by the local health department. The decision is not the schools decision at all.

Do you understand all the determinations that weigh on shutting down various teams? Some are due to coaches/players as is the case with those previously mentioned. Then you have those situations where some varsity players are in quarantine even though the team might yet be shutdown.

There's no "hyperbole" about it. I know for a fact some programs that should be shut down through "contact tracing" that are going to be playing Friday nite.

For the upteenth time... this is not about players/coaches dying. It's about the family contacts those players/coaches have. We're one week into the season. If you think there won't be spread by practicing/playing... then keep that head in the sand.

Reactions: papabeef
I'm definitely not a right winger, but I'm glad Iowa high schools are at least trying to play Fall sports and I'm glad they tried Summer sports. Seems like they have a plan to both try and play and keep the people involved safe.

Summer sports were a huge success in Iowa. Very little issues and nobody (to my knowledge) had any major issues. Football should be fine as well. As long as everyone is really trying to make it work and not trying to be political.

Do you understand all the determinations that weigh on shutting down various teams? Some are due to coaches/players as is the case with those previously mentioned. Then you have those situations where some varsity players are in quarantine even though the team might yet be shutdown.

There's no "hyperbole" about it. I know for a fact some programs that should be shut down through "contact tracing" that are going to be playing Friday nite.

For the upteenth time... this is not about players/coaches dying. It's about the family contacts those players/coaches have. We're one week into the season. If you think there won't be spread by practicing/playing... then keep that head in the sand.

Do you understand that 7 teams is not "substantially"? I first thought it was English that was your downfall, but perhaps it is arithmetic?

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
Football will be cancelled by the local health department. The decision is not the schools decision at all.

Did you intentionally respond by ignoring my question, or was your response meant as a reply to another poster?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT