ADVERTISEMENT

Covid and Iowa high school football.

So you are saying it is safe. Also your points don't add up. If school is not safe then sports are not safe either. It is also nor fair to have any kids ruled ineligible because if they are not really in school how can they ineligible for any reason?

None of it’s 100% safe. I’m not going to engage in an argument with you about it. I just threw out the points that could be used to distinguish the differences between school and athletics.

quit being a little bitch. Wear a mask if the place asks. Sorry if that was blunt but man, you sure seem to believe this will end with normacly

You sure seem dumb enough to imagine totalitarians can save you from yourself. How many laps around HR in your pointy white cap do you intend to take?

Here is the part that I want the IC Board to explain. You think it is so unsafe to have any kids in school. You have been bitching for 2 months that you just can't go back because it is not safe. Now IC is blowing up with COVID because of the university. So tell me why it would be safe to have kids playing sports coming into contact with others when you think it is life and death with school? If it is not safe then you can't play that simple. Explain your way out of it. I think IC could have found a way to do the part time school with the online and play sports. They don't want to even try so no sports because of the safety factor.

I am not disagreeing with you on if we could/couldn't operate under the current guidelines. I think we absolutely could given the numbers that decided to go online. The argument the board is making is for the local control to make the call themselves instead of the state. (Bizarro reverse political ideology here, right?)

I will say it again, playing sports outside is entirely different than sitting in a room for 45-50 minutes at a time. The study's show that the droplets spread differently outside than inside. They show the safety of being in contact for less than 15 minutes is probably okay. We know it is better for the emotional health of our kids. We know it gives kids a reason to socially distance themselves from others and sacrifice social aspects of life for the team. In fact, if you remove the in person portion from school, your kids would be virtually safe by following distancing protocol.

Here is a big thing though the ICCSD School board keeps sweeping under the rug.
In a survey sent out, about 57% of the parents (high school age) send they would send their kids back to the classroom. Make math simple, and say 50%. So, if they went on a hybrid schedule, that would divide THAT number in half, so classes would be at a 25% capacity.
Think we can't safely socially distant at that??
And, where I teach, throw in we made masks MANDATORY, (not ready to start a huge argument about that, but our Admin said if you want back in school, this has to happen, so everyone agreed) so it can be done.

In a survey sent out, about 57% of the parents (high school age) send they would send their kids back to the classroom. Make math simple, and say 50%. So, if they went on a hybrid schedule, that would divide THAT number in half, so classes would be at a 25% capacity.
And, where I teach, throw in we made masks MANDATORY, (not ready to start a huge argument about that, but our Admin said if you want back in school, this has to happen, so everyone agreed) so it can be done.
That is my argument, IC didn't even come up with a plan to even try that. Pretty much they just drug their feet and said we ain't going back and you can't make us.

That is my argument, IC didn't even come up with a plan to even try that. Pretty much they just drug their feet and said we ain't going back and you can't make us.

I'm actually impressed with my school district so far. We started with half classes, moving to full classes Tuesday. Mandatory masks. Classrooms do not interact with other classrooms. Hand washing made a priority. Handles cleaned constantly.

You can tell it is libville there, 75% was the number in my kids school.

No, not when you're in 8 different room s each day...

SIAP, but it Looks like CR Kennedy can be added to the list.....

CEDAR RAPIDS — A positive case of COVID-19 will force the Cedar Rapids Kennedy football team to quarantine for 14 days.

“We’ve been made aware of a situation that created a risk of significant exposure to our varsity team,” said Kennedy athletics director Aaron Stecker, who was made aware of the situation Monday morning.

The quarantine began immediately after Kennedy’s 28-21 loss to Cedar Rapids Washington last Friday and will end at 10 p.m. Sept. 18.

Kennedy (1-1) was forced to cancel its varsity game Friday at Kingston against Cedar Rapids Jefferson. The sophomore game is still on, and the J-Hawks (0-2) will follow with a varsity game against Class 4A second-ranked Southeast Polk.

The Cougars are scheduled to play at Dubuque Senior on Sept. 18, and Stecker said he is “holding out some hope” that game can be played at some point. He also said no other Kennedy sports are currently impacted.

CEDAR RAPIDS — A positive case of COVID-19 will force the Cedar Rapids Kennedy football team to quarantine for 14 days.

“We’ve been made aware of a situation that created a risk of significant exposure to our varsity team,” said Kennedy athletics director Aaron Stecker, who was made aware of the situation Monday morning.

The quarantine began immediately after Kennedy’s 28-21 loss to Cedar Rapids Washington last Friday and will end at 10 p.m. Sept. 18.

Kennedy (1-1) was forced to cancel its varsity game Friday at Kingston against Cedar Rapids Jefferson. The sophomore game is still on, and the J-Hawks (0-2) will follow with a varsity game against Class 4A second-ranked Southeast Polk.

The Cougars are scheduled to play at Dubuque Senior on Sept. 18, and Stecker said he is “holding out some hope” that game can be played at some point. He also said no other Kennedy sports are currently impacted.
SEP vs Jeff will be continuous clock before halftime.

Well, well. I think any REASONABLE person would look at those stats and say the COVID hasn't really impacted the state deaths so far. Which lends credence to to the theory that flu deaths are being counted as covid deaths quite often. The flu hasn't magically disappeared has it???
You would think so but check out the Covid thread on the wrestling forum. This Rossel nut case says wait until Aug and Sept death counts come out. He's expecting a spike due to the spike in cases. He is one of the people saying wait until next month every month.

You sure seem dumb enough to imagine totalitarians can save you from yourself. How many laps around HR in your pointy white cap do you intend to take?

My kids have been free to go to school with a mask and are doing just fine. Not sure why a mask mandate in public places, to help make things normal and to get us to do more normal, makes you think puns from the 60s are whitty and funny while ignoring the facts.

My kids have been free to go to school with a mask and are doing just fine. Not sure why a mask mandate in public places, to help make things normal and to get us to do more normal, makes you think puns from the 60s are whitty and funny while ignoring the facts.

Maybe it has something to do with the "mandate". Do you expect you'll ever be allowed to cross a street without someone holding your hand?

You can tell it is libville there, 75% was the number in my kids school.

Our kid's parochial school has same enrollment as last year. Think it picked up some kids from other public schools around the area. Going full days in person. Masks worn. Staff there has been great.

SEP vs Jeff will be continuous clock before halftime.

Bellevue West (suburban Omaha) was looking to possibly play Southeast Polk after their opponent for this week also had to cancel due to COVID. Would have been a fun matchup to see, but it appears SEP has found someone in-state to play.

Reactions: DogBoyRy
Bellevue West (suburban Omaha) was looking to possibly play Southeast Polk after their opponent for this week also had to cancel due to COVID. Would have been a fun matchup to see, but it appears SEP has found someone in-state to play.
Won’t matter in a couple weeks. All the teams playing will be dead.

You are basically saying you would rather have no football than simply wearing a mask until this thing get sorted out and playing football. Why?

No, I am basically saying some of us have brains and can think for outselves, while some of you are brainless and require a totalitarian to tie your velcro shoes.

And the thing of it is, I don't even care that you need a totalitarian to tie your velcro shoes. I only care that you think others should be forced to suffer by virtue of your incompetence.

The list is growing, substantially, for Iowa high school programs cancelling for the next two weeks.

Who didn't see this coming?
Grow up and get a life. Better idea, let’s shut the whole world down. You guys are incredible! If they had done the same with H1N1, you would be shocked with what the numbers would have looked like.

Grow up and get a life. Better idea, let’s shut the whole world down. You guys are incredible! If they had done the same with H1N1, you would be shocked with what the numbers would have looked like.
This whole thing is political and it oozes from the Governor's office. Kimmy is being erratic in her decisions and she's not showing any consistency. Shutting down bars in only six counties? Yet she's fighting mask mandates and changing metrics on a weekly basis. Knowingly releasing incorrect cases data, then lying when caught.

She's the most corrupt Governor since her mentor.

Reactions: Obviously Oblivious
This whole thing is political and it oozes from the Governor's office. Kimmy is being erratic in her decisions and she's not showing any consistency. Shutting down bars in only six counties? Yet she's fighting mask mandates and changing metrics on a weekly basis. Knowingly releasing incorrect cases data, then lying when caught.

She's the most corrupt Governor since her mentor.
Uh. CNN is obviously your home page on your Chrome browser right. Rachel Maddow ur fav bro?

Point out anything in my post that is incorrect.

I'll hang up and listen.

Ostrich Syndrome?

Corrupt because she doesn't fit your obvious political narrative?

Why don't we all admit that EVERYONE got it wrong at the Covid-19 outset. From Fauci to Cuomo to Trump to Pelosi. Fair Enough?

I am likely obtuse, but seriously 1 case causes the entire team to quarantine for 2 weeks? How does this make sense?

ADVERTISEMENT