ADVERTISEMENT

Covid and Iowa high school football.

I haven't seen too many kids wearing masks during games. A few do.

So you have close contact with an asymptomatic player on another team and the chance to spread the virus to your own family and friends. The coaches of my grandson's team are expecting kids to self report. They are also not temperature checking kids. So, no one knows.

My logic is fine. And yes... the vast majority of players/teams will be fine. But I continue to look at the smaller percentage of cases that are potentially the issue.

We aren't going to have a vaccine by basketball season and that's an indoor sport. I expect more issues come November/December.
You completely and utterly missed my point. Is their vulnerable family on the field with them? No. Are the athletes otherwise confined and cutoff from society? No. Until they're completely isolated from regular day to day to life, the risk of contraction and spread is much higher from going to the grocery store, restaurants, car rides, movie theaters, malls/retail, weddings, holidays, parties, etc.

Lastly, why would you hurt the majority in favor of the minority? Would it not be more logical for the minority to remove themselves from compromising situations so the majority of society can continue to grow?

YOu remind me of an imbecile who posts hyperbolic gibberish, then when confronted with your hyperbolic gibberish, doubles down by posting my hyperbolic gibberish.

The list of high school teams cancelling games is "growing substantially". Except when it's not. The COVID data released by the Iowa Health Department is not to be beleived. Except when it is.

You were born "done", and have been falling further behind the rest of humanity every day since. Seriously, have you ever wondered what you'd do with a brain if you had one?
You realize you do the same thing with the data to fit what you want right? You are no better than anyone else. You arent even smart enough to move to a place that better fits your narrative and stay where you vote in people that make the decisions you do not like. Not sure how you are "smart" if that is the case.

You realize you do the same thing with the data to fit what you want right? You are no better than anyone else. You arent even smart enough to move to a place that better fits your narrative and stay where you vote in people that make the decisions you do not like. Not sure how you are "smart" if that is the case.

Yeah, I'm sure this time you finally got something right after consistently getting nearlye verything wrong throughout htis lengthy thread, and in spite of your inability to cite a single example of posting innacurate predictions or agreeing with data except when I don't agree with data.

Buy a clue, Cletus.

Yeah, I'm sure this time you finally got something right after consistently getting nearlye verything wrong throughout htis lengthy thread, and in spite of your inability to cite a single example of posting innacurate predictions or agreeing with data except when I don't agree with data.

Buy a clue, Cletus.

Come on down off the high horse and if things are so miserable for you in Ill, move to a place that supports your values. It is not that hard to figure out. You have used data to help your argument as much as a person that is totally opposite of you. The funny thing is it is all in the interpretation. Not in the "facts". There are no facts with Covid, just that it is deadly, more deadly than H1N1, the Flu, etc. As can be seen by the deaths from Covid compared to these other diseases.

Come on down off the high horse and if things are so miserable for you in Ill, move to a place that supports your values. It is not that hard to figure out. You have used data to help your argument as much as a person that is totally opposite of you. The funny thing is it is all in the interpretation. Not in the "facts". There are no facts with Covid, just that it is deadly, more deadly than H1N1, the Flu, etc. As can be seen by the deaths from Covid compared to these other diseases.

Using data is not what the OP was called out. It was using data from a source who the OP turned around and immediately called unreliable.

Take another lap around HR in your pointy white cap. It's the one thing you excel at. Well, that and being dumb enough to imagine there is no data about COVID, but you've wrong about essentially everything else, so why not keep your streak alive, right?.

Using data is not what the OP was called out. It was using data from a source who the OP turned around and immediately called unreliable.

Take another lap around HR in your pointy white cap. It's the one thing you excel at. Well, that and being dumb enough to imagine there is no data about COVID, but you've wrong about essentially everything else, so why not keep your streak alive, right?.
Just move, then you will be happier

Just move, then you will be happier

No doubt, lots of people are moving out of places like New York, New Jersey, Illinois, California and other similar jurisdictions. However, unlike you, I am not happy knowing fellow Americans are being viciously attacked by totalitarians, even if the victims aren't my neighbors. To really make me happy requires all citizens to respect the individual liberty of fellow citizens. Boot-lickers like you preclude that from happening.

No doubt, lots of people are moving out of places like New York, New Jersey, Illinois, California and other similar jurisdictions. However, unlike you, I am not happy knowing fellow Americans are being viciously attacked by totalitarians, even if the victims aren't my neighbors. To really make me happy requires all citizens to respect the individual liberty of fellow citizens. Boot-lickers like you preclude that from happening.
I am not happy either with overreacting temporary mandates, and no one respects anyone but themselves or those around them. I do not want to get into that argument with you.

And........the inconsistencies continue.

Just found out my grandson learned that he's ineligible for 14 days because a teammate/claasmate tested positive. Yet, the team still eligible to play this week. Pretty sure that's not what was intended when the IHSAA drew up their requirements. He practiced up until Wednesday, but was sent home from school yesterday.

I know for a fact that other programs were shut down for the exact same situation.

He's pissed but understands.

Just found out my grandson learned that he's ineligible for 14 days because a teammate/claasmate tested positive. Yet, the team still eligible to play this week. Pretty sure that's not what was intended when the IHSAA drew up their requirements. He practiced up until Wednesday, but was sent home from school yesterday.

I know for a fact that other programs were shut down for the exact same situation.

It is all about contact tracing. If he sat by the kid in class or at lunch or on the bus, then that is how they do it. and the local Health dept along with the contact tracing guidelines determine it.

It is all about contact tracing. If he sat by the kid in class or at lunch or on the bus, then that is how they do it. and the local Health dept along with the contact tracing guidelines determine it.
As I said... the exact scenario happened at another program that suspended for two weeks... Osage. If we're depending on each County health dept to administer equitably... this isn't the way to do it.

The whole thing is "don't ask/don't tell".

As I said... the exact scenario happened at another program that suspended for two weeks... Osage. If we're depending on each County health dept to administer equitably... this isn't the way to do it.

IHSAA can only do so much.

Also, you are probably getting half the story. You are not able to disclose any information unless you are the person it is happening to. And I have personally seen these stories get twisted a lot in the last few weeks.

As a teacher and coach who has personally had to deal with a shutdown already, I guarantee you the contact traced to the positive was either:

A) Not a teammate

or

B) Could be reliably traced to a specific player/group of players

The guidelines change every ****ing day and make zero sense.

Suffice it to write, there are plenty of situations where significant pressure is being exerted on kids aged 15-18 by their peers and their coaches to (a) not report symptoms and (b) not get tested. These kids can't stay off their phones and sending messages to one another. All it is going to take is one really bad outcome (and I'm not referring to a death) and a pissed off family to retain legal counsel and that legal counsel could find a treasure trove of material in kids' phones. While coaches and administration are likely savvy enough not to put anything in writing, high school aged kids aren't thinking in such a fashion.

Suffice it to write, there are plenty of situations where significant pressure is being exerted on kids aged 15-18 by their peers and their coaches to (a) not report symptoms and (b) not get tested. These kids can't stay off their phones and sending messages to one another. All it is going to take is one really bad outcome (and I'm not referring to a death) and a pissed off family to retain legal counsel and that legal counsel could find a treasure trove of material in kids' phones. While coaches and administration are likely savvy enough not to put anything in writing, high school aged kids aren't thinking in such a fashion.

The coach should follow things to the T because of this, but I have seen teams sharing water bottles, not sanitizing, etc. Those are put into place for the IHSAA to back their backside. Coaches and ADs should not assume everything will be fine because all it takes is 1 person to sue for protocol not being followed.

As a teacher and coach who has personally had to deal with a shutdown already, I guarantee you the contact traced to the positive was either:

A) Not a teammate

or

B) Could be reliably traced to a specific player/group of players

The guidelines change every ****ing day and make zero sense.

Same here. It is crazy stuff. and now that we are essential workers it makes things more complicated.

The coach should follow things to the T because of this, but I have seen teams sharing water bottles, not sanitizing, etc. Those are put into place for the IHSAA to back their backside. Coaches and ADs should not assume everything will be fine because all it takes is 1 person to sue for protocol not being followed.

Which programs are sharing water bottles?

You have no way of knowing if it's the "exact" same situation because you don't know who/how many positives nor their interactions.
Not to mention, the grapevine is natorious for conflating stories.

Reactions: CalmHawk
You have no way of knowing if it's the "exact" same situation because you don't know who/how many positives nor their interactions.
Not to mention, the grapevine is natorious for conflating stories.
You can go ahead and think of all the excuses you desire... but it's clear to me there are some inconsistencies in the administration of the guidelines. Don't know where to lay the blame, but not every case is being handled the same.

As an aside... my grandson's team had a team meal before last Friday nite's game and they were closer than six feet for twenty minutes. Guaraneffingteed.

You can go ahead and think of all the excuses you desire... but it's clear to me there are some inconsistencies in the administration of the guidelines. Don't know where to lay the blame, but not every case is being handled the same.

As an aside... my grandson's team had a team meal before last Friday nite's game and they were closer than six feet for twenty minutes. Guaraneffingteed.
I think you need to look into the contract tracing guidelines.

Another program becomes a victim of Covid.

Independence CSD reports cases and the cancellation of Friday's game against Crestwood.

There will be more.

If anyone is curious, the CDC released updated IFRs for several age brackets a week back. The death rate for the 0-19 age bracket is .00003

I think you need to look into the contract tracing guidelines.

You will get a different explanation from nearly every person you talk to. My daughter just finished, this afternoon, talking to 1. a school nurse, 2. a high school principal, 3. two different County Dept of Health officials... and each entity had a different explanation.

Tell me again about consistency?😏😏

It's a complete cluster%#@%

You will get a different explanation from nearly every person you talk to. My daughter just finished, this afternoon, talking to 1. a school nurse, 2. a high school principal, 3. two different County Dept of Health officials... and each entity had a different explanation.

Tell me again about consistency?😏😏

It's a complete cluster%#@%
Well I wouldn't trust a school nurse nor principal to know that.

After dealing with this for 3-4 weeks? Why wouldn't they?
Dude, how in the world are they supposed to know all of that, while maintaining order in the school, calling the IDPH for assistance, the IDPH changing weekly and telling admin and nurses things are changing. For instance. Temp checks were mandatory before practice for a while then stopped cold turkey. Everything changes day to day. And schooling right now is A LOT more than just following guidelines.

Because they're not policy makers.
I just love the excuses from people. It's like an art form.

This Covid case enforcement is so scattershot. You know it. I know it.

Much of it trickles down from the Statehouse. Metrics and guidelines change all the time.

BTW: Policy "enforcement" and policy "making" are directly connected. So, school nurses and school administration better know what those policies are. It's no different than enforcing sports participation as it relates to school attendance.

I eagerly await your next excuse. 😄

Much of it trickles down from the Statehouse. Metrics and guidelines change all the time.

BTW: Policy "enforcement" and policy "making" are directly connected. So, school nurses and school administration better know what those policies are. It's no different than enforcing sports participation as it relates to school attendance.

How do you treat every situation the same, if every situation is different?

Dude, how in the world are they supposed to know all of that, while maintaining order in the school, calling the IDPH for assistance, the IDPH changing weekly and telling admin and nurses things are changing. For instance. Temp checks were mandatory before practice for a while then stopped cold turkey. Everything changes day to day. And schooling right now is A LOT more than just following guidelines.
If you really believe what you just posted... than maybe we agree on the most obvious point. Leadership at the State level has been absolute dogshit.

If you really believe what you just posted... than maybe we agree on the most obvious point. Leadership at the State level has been absolute dogshit.
It is not at the state level or federal level. This is at the election level.

Reactions: Legs94
It is not at the state level or federal level. This is at the election level.
State and Federal level. And it's why the argument is political. It's one of the reasons Iowa has one of the biggest virus problems in the country.

This Governor is so entrenched with fighting school districts, specifically the Des Moines CSD. And it's leaked down to the IHSAA.

I know why local officials can't give clear answers. They're afraid of legal liability.

State and Federal level. And it's why the argument is political. It's one of the reasons Iowa has one of the biggest virus problems in the country.

This Governor is so entrenched with fighting school districts, specifically the Des Moines CSD. And it's leaked down to the IHSAA.

I know why local officials can't give clear answers. They're afraid of legal liability.

why is the virus so bad in Iowa? It is in the bigger cities in Iowa because people are not following restrictions.

why is the virus so bad in Iowa? It is in the bigger cities in Iowa because people are not following restrictions.
Our Governor has chosen to "pick and choose" where to enact restrictions. We've discussed this, at length, many times.
There's a reason Kim Reynold's is sitting at 26% approval rating on the handling of Covid19. It all started with her famous "I trust Iowans to do the right thing" proclamation.

Your comment about bigger cities is misleading. Perhaps you are unaware that small town Iowans go to those bigger cities for healthcare, groceries, and the trips to Walmart/Target. Then... they return home and mingle with friends and family and the local schools.

Fast forward to the current chaos.

Pause: You say each situation is different and ever evolving, but are upset because the response to those ever changing and evolving situations is different?

Iowa has one of the biggest virus problems in the country? based on which metric? Last I looked (yesterday), Iowa had cut its positivity rate by 44% over the last 3 weeks. Seems Iowa is actually doing pretty well. But theres no room for positive news in your world, is there?

You still pissed about that beatdown last week?

You men the one where I chased you off the board and into solitude for a few days? That one? Please Libby. You're the one living w/ tunnel vision. I do admire your ability get back up off the mat after being pancaked and take another swing only to get kicked in the teeth again. Quite noble indeed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT