ADVERTISEMENT

Covid and Iowa high school football.

Our Governor has chosen to "pick and choose" where to enact restrictions. We've discussed this, at length, many times.
There's a reason Kim Reynold's is sitting at 26% approval rating on the handling of Covid19. It all started with her famous "I trust Iowans to do the right thing" proclamation.

Your comment about bigger cities is misleading. Perhaps you are unaware that small town Iowans go to those bigger cities for healthcare, groceries, and the trips to Walmart/Target. Then... they return home and mingle with friends and family and the local schools.

Fast forward to the current chaos.
What’s your definition of bigger cities? Mt. Pleasant, Washington, Tipton, Centerville etc.? All of these and similar have Walmart’s and even Hy-Vee, some have hospitals.

Pause: You say each situation is different and ever evolving, but are upset because the response to those ever changing and evolving situations is different?

Iowa has one of the biggest virus problems in the country? based on which metric? Last I looked (yesterday), Iowa had cut its positivity rate by 44% over the last 3 weeks. Seems Iowa is actually doing pretty well. But theres no room for positive news in your world, is there?
You call me negative. I classify it as a realist.

The next problem, or a continuation of an old unaddressed issue, Iowa and the IDPH are now refusing to assist LTC facilities with testing. That goes to the Republican view that less testing makes things look better.

Our drunken, partisan hack State leader is just following orders, tho.

Reactions: obfuscating
What’s your definition of bigger cities? Mt. Pleasant, Washington, Tipton, Centerville etc.? All of these and similar have Walmart’s and even Hy-Vee, some have hospitals.
Ask "CalmHawk" what he considers "bigger cities". He mentioned it first.

I merely explained that Iowans are traveling to larger areas for daily living needs. Thus... they're mingling. Then they return home to Mediapolis, Osage, Marengo, Ida Grove, and similar sized areas.

But I realize why you choose to join the conservatice circle jerk. You support our Governor.

The next problem, or a continuation of an old unaddressed issue, Iowa and the IDPH are now refusing to assist LTC facilities with testing. That goes to the Republican view that less testing makes things look better.

woah woah, back up and answer my question: What metric(s) justify the statement, "Iowa has one of the biggest virus problems in the country"? I already showed you a very key metric that would suggest the opposite. I can also point to a 7 day average of deaths per day at the end of August being 10.1 and now being 2.1. I can show you a graph dating back 7 weeks that says ICU patients has been flat. I can show you data that says ventilator usage has been flat since mid July. Where is your data that shows this "chaos" as you to choose to put it. C'mon "realist" show me some "real" data....

Next, to address your vendetta against the republican party (of which, im not affiliated, so you can shelve that assumption). If "they" are suppressing testing, you would then agree with me that the Positivty % is even more important and obviously a key, if not the main, indicator of progress or regression, yea? 35 positives out of 500 tests or 1120 out of 16000, it doesnt matter, they both tell the same story. (unless of course, youre just a headline reader, but you're more educated than that im sure).

Reactions: shank hawk
Maybe if Reynold's and the IDPH has chosen to spend Federal $$$ on testing capabilities instead of salaries, they could meet DHSS requirements. This is just another example of "dereliction of duties" from Kimmy.

Reynolds always has an excuse for things that go south. The SHL has been "kneecapped" by the IDPH and her decisions. Now... LTC facility employees will pay the price.

I merely explained that Iowans are traveling to larger areas for daily living needs. Thus... they're mingling. Then they return home to Mediapolis, Osage, Marengo, Ida Grove, and similar sized areas.

But I realize why you choose to join the conservatice circle jerk. You support our Governor.
Where did I say I support the governor? That’s your inference? Based on what evidence? I actually think she’s a bumbling idiot just like most of the other Iowa politicians and most at the federal level, but carry on telling me who I support.

Maybe if Reynold's and the IDPH has chosen to spend Federal $$$ on testing capabilities instead of salaries, they could meet DHSS requirements. This is just another example of "dereliction of duties" from Kimmy.

Reynolds always has an excuse for things that go south. The SHL has been "kneecapped" by the IDPH and her decisions. Now... LTC facility employees will pay the price.

You a union boy too? Just want to see how far left you are? Anti-gun, pro choice and the works?
As I said... the exact scenario happened at another program that suspended for two weeks... Osage. If we're depending on each County health dept to administer equitably... this isn't the way to do it.

The whole thing is "don't ask/don't tell".

Can you believe some may not remember or not be honest when that is required for contact tracing to be consistent?? Hard to believe.

Our Governor has chosen to "pick and choose" where to enact restrictions. We've discussed this, at length, many times.
There's a reason Kim Reynold's is sitting at 26% approval rating on the handling of Covid19. It all started with her famous "I trust Iowans to do the right thing" proclamation.

Your comment about bigger cities is misleading. Perhaps you are unaware that small town Iowans go to those bigger cities for healthcare, groceries, and the trips to Walmart/Target. Then... they return home and mingle with friends and family and the local schools.

Fast forward to the current chaos.

So your very own Joe Biden has stated a mask mandate is not constitutional. But somehow our Governor was gonna enforce and get cops to write tickets for it? What a joke.

Also, in my experience 95% are wearing masks.

Reactions: MitchLL

Everyone in politics is a partisan hack.

College towns like Sioux City, Des Moines, Davenport, Waterloo, Cedar Falls, Cedar Rapids, Council Bluffs, Ames, Iowa City..... those are considered bigger cities in Iowa.

So your very own Joe Biden has stated a mask mandate is not constitutional. But somehow our Governor was gonna enforce and get cops to write tickets for it? What a joke.
My issues with the Governor are way more than mask wearing. My "picking/choosing" comment was directed at such thngs as the Tyson bullshit, selectice bar closings in certain counties, the data collection fiasco where "glitches" occur on a regular basis, and the list goes on.

Reynolds has a current virus response approval rating of 26%... after bottoming out at 18%. Think about that. That's lower than Trump. In a State that is probably 55/45 Republican leaning. That means that nearly 30% of her own Party don't think she's qualified to lead the Covid fight.

My issues with the Governor are way more than mask wearing. My "picking/choosing" comment was directed at such thngs as the Tyson bullshit, selectice bar closings in certain counties, the data collection fiasco where "glitches" occur on a regular basis, and the list goes on.

Reynolds has a current virus response approval rating of 26%... after bottoming out at 18%. Think about that. That's lower than Trump. In a State that is probably 55/45 Republican leaning. That means that nearly 30% of her own Party don't think she's qualified to lead the Covid fight.
Iowa’s registered voters breakout to 33.7% Democrat, 34.1% Republican, 32.2% no party/other.

Iowa’s registered voters breakout to 33.7% Democrat, 34.1% Republican, 32.2% no party/other.
Picking nits again, I see. If anyone doesn't believe a State with a Republican Governor and two Republican Senators isn't a GOP leaning State...

Picking nits again, I see. If anyone doesn't believe a State with a Republican Governor and two Republican Senators isn't a GOP leaning State...
Did you not see my post? Let me re-post it:

woah woah, back up and answer my question: What metric(s) justify the statement, "Iowa has one of the biggest virus problems in the country"? I already showed you a very key metric that would suggest the opposite. I can also point to a 7 day average of deaths per day at the end of August being 10.1 and now being 2.1. I can show you a graph dating back 7 weeks that says ICU patients has been flat. I can show you data that says ventilator usage has been flat since mid July. Where is your data that shows this "chaos" as you to choose to put it. C'mon "realist" show me some "real" data....

Next, to address your vendetta against the republican party (of which, im not affiliated, so you can shelve that assumption). If "they" are suppressing testing, you would then agree with me that the Positivty % is even more important and obviously a key, if not the main, indicator of progress or regression, yea? 35 positives out of 500 tests or 1120 out of 16000, it doesnt matter, they both tell the same story. (unless of course, youre just a headline reader, but you're more educated than that im sure).

Did you not see my post? Let me re-post it:

Check Ciggy's thread on HROT regarding Iowa's race to be #1. It'll explain to you better than I can. Iowa, and other Midwestern States, are almost universally trending up.

Check Ciggy's thread on HROT regarding Iowa's race to be #1. It'll explain to you better than I can. Iowa, and other Midwestern States, are almost universally trending up.
Are you just ignoring the data? What do you not understand about the positivity % dropping from 14.5% to 7.7% the past 3 weeks? How about average deaths a day dropping from 10.1 to 2.1 in that same time frame? What backwards world do you live in where that is "trending up"?

I think it means independents, like myself, would rather the Democratic party return to what it used to be instead of so extreme on the liberal ideas.
You mean like increasing funding to education and pro choice issues? Extreme legislation would be the religious zealots on the right.

I think you might have your "extreme" mixed up. Please list what issues you think Iowa Dems are extreme on.

Are you just ignoring the data? What do you not understand about the positivity % dropping from 14.5% to 7.7% the past 3 weeks? How about average deaths a day dropping from 10.1 to 2.1 in that same time frame? What backwards world do you live in where that is "trending up"?
How would you explain why the WH Coronavirus Task Force has listed Iowa as a problem? Hell, that group even urged Iowa to go to a mask mandate. Is Iowa one of those evil Blue States that warps the data?

You mean like increasing funding to education and pro choice issues? Extreme legislation would be the religious zealots on the right.

I think you might have your "extreme" mixed up. Please list what issues you think Iowa Dems are extreme on.
Gun control

How would you explain why the WH Coronavirus Task Force has listed Iowa as a problem? Hell, that group even urged Iowa to go to a mask mandate. Is Iowa one of those evil Blue States that warps the data?
Do you mean the report published just under 3 weeks ago? The report that doesnt include the most recent data that im referring to because its outdated? That report?

So again, how is a falling positivty % and falling death numbers the past 3 weeks "trending up"?

Reactions: Pinehawk
From the CDC website: shows "overall decrease"....

Key Points
  • Nationally, since mid-July, there has been an overall decreasing trend in the percentage of specimens testing positive for SARS-CoV-2 and a decreasing or stable (change of ≤0.1%) trend in the percentage of visits for ILI and CLI; however, there has been some regional variation.
  • Using combined data from the three laboratory types, the national percentage of respiratory specimens testing positive for SARS-CoV-2 with a molecular assay decreased from 5.2% during week 36 to 4.8% during week 37.
    • Regionally, the percentage of respiratory specimens testing positive for SARS-CoV-2 increased slightly in Regions 2 (New Jersey/New York/Puerto Rico) and 8 (Mountain) and decreased or remained stable in the remaining eight regions.
    • The highest percentage of specimens testing positive for SARS-CoV-2 were seen in Regions 4 (South East, 7.5%), 6 (South Central, 8.3%), and 7 (Central, 8.9%), but the percentage is decreasing in all three regions.
  • The percentage of outpatient or ED visits to ILINet providers for ILI is below baseline nationally and in all 10 regions of the country.
    • Compared with week 36, the percentage of visits for ILI during week 37 remained stable (change of ≤0.1%) nationally and decreased or was stable in seven of 10 regions. Regions 2 (New Jersey/New York/Puerto Rico), 5 (Midwest), and 6 (South Central) reported a slight increase in the percentage of visits for ILI.
  • The percentage of visits to EDs for CLI decreased nationally for the ninth consecutive week and, compared with the previous week, decreased or remained stable (change of ≤0.1%) in all 10 HHS regions. The percentage of visits to EDs for ILI was stable nationally and decreasing or stable in nine of the 10 regions. Region 7 (Central) reported a slight increase in the percentage of visits to EDs for ILI.
  • The overall cumulative COVID-19-associated hospitalization rate was 170.4 per 100,000; rates were highest in people 65 years of age and older (460.7 per 100,000) followed by people 50–64 years (255.1 per 100,000).
    • From the week ending August 1 (MMWR week 31) to the week ending September 12 (MMWR week 37), weekly hospitalization rates declined for all adult age groups. However, over this same time period, weekly rates remained steady for the pediatric age groups. Data for the most recent weeks may change as additional admissions occurring during those weeks are reported.
    • Hispanic or Latino persons, non-Hispanic American Indian or Alaska Native persons, and non-Hispanic Black persons all had age-adjusted hospitalization rates approximately 4.6 times that of non-Hispanic White persons.
  • Based on death certificate data, the percentage of deaths attributed to pneumonia, influenza, or COVID-19 (PIC) for week 37 was 6.2%, lower than the percentage during week 36 (9.3%), but above the epidemic threshold. These percentages will likely increase as more death certificates are processed.
  • All surveillance systems aim to provide the most complete data available. Estimates from previous weeks are subject to change as data are updated with the most complete data available.

Are you saying you're a single issue voter?

If it was up to me... I'd confiscate every semi auto and go door to door.
Stop deflecting and answer the question at hand; How is a dropping positivity % and dropping ave. deaths/day "trending up". If you are ignorant on the subject and dont look at the daily data to see the trends for yourself, only read headlines and/or old articles/reports, just take responsibility and say that. Ill drop it after that.

But its nice to know you don't value the Bill of Rights. I couldve guessed as such, but I don't like to assume.

Who has died from CO2 from a mask? You people are nuts. America is free, but wearing a mask? holy crap that is infringing on rights during a pandemic. Other countries are doing this to make America look bad right? The flu efficacy changes from year to year. So going by past data is irrelevant to say the least.
We know the Left wants to cancel all history that speaks negatively against their narrative (efficacy included). the results are current and over time as a baseline.

Where did you get CO2 from? We are free, but if masks work why are they not keeping prisoners in prison and giving them masks? Why not just give masks and enforce in-person schooling? Seems the Left wants their cake and be able to eat everyone else's too.

Reactions: unclesammy
And.... there was a vaccine for H1N1, and it was not as deadly as Covid. Pretty pointless to bring up.
When was that vaccine available? 6 mths after...

Death toll in the US would be near bottom of the world if it weren't for NYC and it's flacid mgmt...

When was that vaccine available? 6 mths after...

Death toll in the US would be near bottom of the world if it weren't for NYC and it's flacid mgmt...
Well, it has been 6 months of covid, no vaccine, and shutdowns and quarantines and cancellations. None of which happened for H1N1 and way more deaths.

We know the Left wants to cancel all history that speaks negatively against their narrative (efficacy included). the results are current and over time as a baseline.

Where did you get CO2 from? We are free, but if masks work why are they not keeping prisoners in prison and giving them masks? Why not just give masks and enforce in-person schooling? Seems the Left wants their cake and be able to eat everyone else's too.
So, no one has died from CO2 exposure from wearing a mask. Not sure where this other defection argument came from. And I am an independent. The prison stuff is confusing isnt it.

Well, it has been 6 months of covid, no vaccine, and shutdowns and quarantines and cancellations. None of which happened for H1N1 and way more deaths.
Let's not forget a few key differences about that pandemic.
1) we were in the midst of the worst economic collapse any of us have lived through, you pile this on top, (and it sounds hyperbolic to say) we may not recover
2) a large population of elderly had an immunity to it. The death rates look quite similar outside of that upper quintile
3) as much as we wish there wasn't a political angle to this, we all know what party was in charge at that time

Reactions: unclesammy
Let's not forget a few key differences about that pandemic.
1) we were in the midst of the worst economic collapse any of us have lived through, you pile this on top, (and it sounds hyperbolic to say) we may not recover
2) a large population of elderly had an immunity to it. The death rates look quite similar outside of that upper quintile
3) as much as we wish there wasn't a political angle to this, we all know what party was in charge at that time
point #2..... why does it matter if some had immunity to it? Isnt that the point in the difference between the 2? No one has immunity to Covid or we at least do not know who does if they do.

point #2..... why does it matter if some had immunity to it? Isnt that the point in the difference between the 2? No one has immunity to Covid or we at least do not know who does if they do.
It matters because approximately 11% of the current US population is at an elevated risk (about 5% IFR). The other 89% would react roughly the same to covid as they did H1N1. Hence the entire question of "why ruin the global economy when 90% of the population has no real risk instead of protecting the vulnerable and letting everyone else deal with it just like we did w/ H1N1?" Or at the very least, begs the question, "why the hysteria for the heathy population that wasn't there for H1N1?"

Last edited:
Reactions: Pinehawk

You do know what a semi auto weapon is, right? Tell us how the view defines them. I do pity miserable people like you.

You are not a realist. Iowa has never shut down never had a mask mandate and outside of Johnson county has been business as normal and with all of that is 23rd in deaths per 100k. Interesting fact New York, New Jersey, Michigan, and Illinois are all in the top 10. Hell California might still be locked down 6 months later and they are right under Iowas 40 with 37. There is one reason why so many Californians are leaving for Texas, New Yorkers leaving for North Carolina and Illni are becoming Hawkeyes. Thank god we have a strong governor who doesn't cave to crybabies like you.

Oh mitchy, I've noticed you ignored my question twice, so I'll ask a third time: how is a dropping % positive rate and a falling ave deaths/day "trending up".
Everyone here has already seen your failed logic time and again, so you don't really have much to lose by trying to answer, so give it a shot.

Reactions: Hendy hawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT