ADVERTISEMENT

Covid and Iowa high school football.

Easy answer on the baseball/football comparison. Most bleachers in baseball were blocked off. Plus, we always sit beyond the RF fence. The comparison of volleyball/basketball is also a bit hinky. Volleyball players are, for the most part, stationary with minimal movement from players. And fan support is way less than basketball. I've seen volleyball players wear masks, but I can't imagine basketball players wearing then running up and down the court.

This is political. Has been from the start. When the President publically downplays the virus and does a 180 in the Woodward interview, you can see why it's an issue.

I'm tired of Republicans kowtowing to the WH. Reynolds is one of the worst.

American media made it this way. Both sides are guilty. Not sure how other countries can just do what they are told and Americans are 1 way or no way. It is also an election year. Democrats do not want Trump in but it is really hard to pull for a Democratic candidate when there is no platform other than beat Trump. Seriously what is the Democratic platform? in 2016 the media blew up about Kaepernick, this year it is a huge BLM push. Which I understand to an EXTENT. But that movement has lost me because of the blame game.

I know this is a football topic, but I am ready for this election to be over. America will not explode if Trump is elected.

My 88 y/o brother is one of them. Thanks for not making me feel better.

But hey he was old, so he was ready to go I guess according to your post. Nothing could be further from the truth in his case.
So you are like 80 years old and posting on a message board...... I guess it is 2020

Easy answer on the baseball/football comparison. Most bleachers in baseball were blocked off. Plus, we always sit beyond the RF fence. The comparison of volleyball/basketball is also a bit hinky. Volleyball players are, for the most part, stationary with minimal movement from players. And fan support is way less than basketball. I've seen volleyball players wear masks, but I can't imagine basketball players wearing then running up and down the court.

This is political. Has been from the start. When the President publically downplays the virus and does a 180 in the Woodward interview, you can see why it's an issue.

I'm tired of Republicans kowtowing to the WH. Reynolds is one of the worst.

volleyball is stationary?

Plus there are 12 players on an 1800 sq/ft court vs 10 on a 4700 sq/ft court. In regards to fan support, that probably has more to do with the individual school. At my former high school, the basketball team was average, but the Vball was state tourney good. They packed the stands while bball had friends/family only for the most part.

Only in the US can high school sports somehow be a pawn in partisan politics.

Reactions: CalmHawk

But hey he was old, so he was ready to go I guess according to your post. Nothing could be further from the truth in his case.

Sorry to hear that, but he lived a very full life. Hopefully he wouldn't want others to suffer so he could squeeze out another six months.

Reactions: tigerguy_
volleyball is stationary?

Plus there are 12 players on an 1800 sq/ft court vs 10 on a 4700 sq/ft court. In regards to fan support, that probably has more to do with the individual school. At my former high school, the basketball team was average, but the Vball was state tourney good. They packed the stands while bball had friends/family only for the most part.

Only in the US can high school sports somehow be a pawn in partisan politics.
You know a lot of volleyball players that run the length of the court?

You're ridiculous.

You're ridiculous.
Stop while your not ahead. Volleyball screams after every spike, ace, whatever, and are right next to each other along the net. sometimes hitting each other. basketball does not scream like volley ball

Reactions: Pinehawk
Stop while your not ahead. Volleyball screams after every spike, ace, whatever, and are right next to each other along the net. sometimes hitting each other. basketball does not scream like volley ball
I've seen volleyball players wearing masks. Not sure we'll see that in basketball.

Do we continue to limp thru the sports seasons like we are or do we completely shut down and drastically reduce the spread?

We lift the quarantine rules and we move forward.
We're not shutting down again. You can forget about that.

Reactions: Mattski
I've seen volleyball players wearing masks. Not sure we'll see that in basketball.

Do we continue to limp thru the sports seasons like we are or do we completely shut down and drastically reduce the spread?
So you want to ruin the economy and peoples livelihood because 10% of football teams and volleyball teams are impacted?

How do we reduce it if we are already in school? What would sports matter?

You're ridiculous.
So now spread is predicated by linear distance ran?
Here I thought it was duration and proximity to expelled respiratory droplets (like those expelled from yelling, heavy breathing, cheering,etc in a confined setting like a small court in a building and close proximity like bumping, spiking, blocking, etc)

What else can you teach us?

(P.s. would you like me to add this to your list of blunders so we can keep a running tab of your outlandish claims or would you prefer a new list so we can reference them like imbelcilic time capsules throughout?)

His goal (and some others here) is to shut everything down. He will say anything and spread misinformation in an attempt to scare people into agreeing with him.

Sorry for your loss. Did his death have anything to do with high school kids playing football? Genuinely curious since @MitchLL has spent almost 3 weeks now trying to convince everyone high school football will lead to more deaths.

Sorry for your loss. Did his death have anything to do with high school kids playing football? Genuinely curious since @MitchLL has spent almost 3 weeks now trying to convince everyone high school football will lead to more deaths.
Of course spreading the virus leads to more deaths. How could it not?

Not everyone that catches Covid will make a complete recovery and we don't even know about long term effects.

I guess we have lots of Trumpsters here that think it will magically disappear.

Of course spreading the virus leads to more deaths. How could it not?

Not everyone that catches Covid will make a complete recovery and we don't even know about long term effects.

I guess we have lots of Trumpsters here that think it will magically disappear.
5 positives at my kid's schools so far. None were fall sport athletes. What do you suggest we do? School wasn't shut down for 2 weeks.
You're getting owned in this thread for a number of reasons, the biggest being your unproven assertion kids playing fall football will automatically mean more covid and more death.
The fact is, teenage kids are going to be around each other no matter what, especially if we're sending them to school. Taking away something they love and for the majority something they'll never be able to do again bc hyperpartisans think it'll cause more covid is ridiculous... especially given what we actually do know about the virus at this point. Thankfully the adults in Iowa realized this and have made mostly the right decisions.

Since we know ICU patients are a lagging indicator followed by deaths as the laggiest indicator, its interesting (although not surprising given the age demo) to see following the "college bar spike" in cases of late august has not resulted in a cooresponding spike of ICU patients. In fact, ICU patients are trending down now. Looks to fly in the face of the "Athletes will pass it to the susceptible" crowd.

5 positives at my kid's schools so far. None were fall sport athletes. What do you suggest we do? School wasn't shut down for 2 weeks.
You're getting owned in this thread for a number of reasons, the biggest being your unproven assertion kids playing fall football will automatically mean more covid and more death.
The fact is, teenage kids are going to be around each other no matter what, especially if we're sending them to school. Taking away something they love and for the majority something they'll never be able to do again bc hyperpartisans think it'll cause more covid is ridiculous... especially given what we actually do know about the virus at this point. Thankfully the adults in Iowa realized this and have made mostly the right decisions.
My niece's husband(nepher thru marriage) contacted Covid in July and spent two weeks in the hospital in DM and five days on a vent. Talked with him last week and he says he's about 80% back. He's 42 and has no other conditions. Says he gets fatigued and has no energy. We don't know the long term fallout of "recovered" victims in terms of future health issues.

There's some mysterious opinions from people like you that just because no one dies... there's no risk. Let's rule out grandparents and just concentrate on those parents aged 35-50 of these teenaged athletes you're referring to. My 42 year old nephew has high school aged athletes in the home. He's been affected and may never get back to 100%.

This would be a wonderful world if everyone recovered fully. That's not the real world.

The Iowa Governor effed this up from the beginning with her "I trust Iowans" approach. We're no better off today than we were four or five months ago. Yeah, we're playing sports, so it's all good.

We're no better off today than we were four or five months ago. Yeah, we're playing sports, so it's all good.
Actually, you'll see from the graph posted above, we're much better now than we were 4-5 months ago. We actually have right at half as many ICU patients now vs then. Quite an improvement.

Reactions: KFSuperStar
Actually, you'll see from the graph posted above, we're much better now than we were 4-5 months ago. We actually have right at half as many ICU patients now vs then. Quite an improvement.
The various death projections back in April/May were anywhere from 600-800 and people were astounded by those estimates. As of today, we're pushing 1,300 with some new estimates in the 1,800-2,000 range.

Yeah, I don't think I'd classify that as "quite the improvement".

Any positive tests or just contact tracing/exposure? You’re posting schools, but no facts about cases.
That is usually protected information. Some schools give info, most don't.

I hope you're just trying to increase your post count, because the content sux.

That is usually protected information. Some schools give info, most don't.

I hope you're just trying to increase your post count, because the content sux.
You like to post that teams aren’t playing. Provide some facts as to why they are not otherwise it’s pointless.

Also, use the ignore feature if you don’t like my posts or content.

The various death projections back in April/May were anywhere from 600-800 and people were astounded by those estimates. As of today, we're pushing 1,300 with some new estimates in the 1,800-2,000 range.

Yeah, I don't think I'd classify that as "quite the improvement".
Actually, early estimates went as high 1.7 million deaths. So what metric(s) would you like to use to qualify your contention that we "are not in a better place than we were 4-5 months ago"? I'll be happy to mine whatever you think will satisfactorily justify your claim. Testing? Deaths per day? Hospitalization rate? What do you base your claim on?

(Give it some time, think it through. If you end up being wrong, again, I'll be adding it to that growing list of bullet point summizing your false claims )

Actually, early estimates went as high 1.7 million deaths. So what metric(s) would you like to use to qualify your contention that we "are not in a better place than we were 4-5 months ago"? I'll be happy to mine whatever you think will satisfactorily justify your claim. Testing? Deaths per day? Hospitalization rate? What do you base your claim on?

(Give it some time, think it through. If you end up being wrong, again, I'll be adding it to that growing list of bullet point summizing your false claims )
Stay on point... we're talking State of Iowa. Why are you moving the goalposts?

Stay on point... we're talking State of Iowa. Why are you moving the goalposts?
True, that's my bad, I thought you were talking about daily rates nationwide.
Back to my question, which metric(s) do you want to see that would satisfy your claim that were are no better off today than we were 4-5 months back?

And FWIW, the CDC publishes a cumulative graph of all death projections about weekly. Back on May 6 the forecast for Iowa showed that by June 1 deaths could be up to 1400 with the average being about 900. So I would very much appreciate your source of data if it's better than a cumulative report from the CDC. So obviously were well past June 1, and still under 1400, so again, doing pretty good.

Last edited:
Covid casualty... Linnville Sully games cancelled
Which is why every school makes the playoffs. Kind of like baseball. Were you as weird about that as football? IHSAA is doing the right thing this year. Our season is half over and we are on our way to playoff time in the next month. 2 weeks off for precautions is exactly what the CDC and IPHD want us to do. Wear a mask, stay away from people, regulate entry, quality food service, outside venue...... I think you are losing it.

True, that's my bad, I thought you were talking about daily rates nationwide.
Back to my question, which metric(s) do you want to see that would satisfy your claim that were are no better off today than we were 4-5 months back?

And FWIW, the CDC publishes a cumulative graph of all death projections about weekly. Back on May 6 the forecast for Iowa showed that by June 1 deaths could be up to 1400 with the average being about 900. So I would very much appreciate your source of data if it's better than a cumulative report from the CDC. So obviously were well past June 1, and still under 1400, so again, doing pretty good.
Before our discussion goes further... can you tell me the city or county where you reside?

Why are people cheering cancelations? It baffles me honestly. We all knew, know there will be cancelations of games due to Covid.

No cheering ... this was purely a Notre Dame joke. :)

notre-dame

We're no better off today than we were four or five months ago. Yeah, we're playing sports, so it's all good.

For the group, here are some key metrics. You can judge for yourself if "we're no better off today than we were four or five months ago"

All of these stats were compared using a 7 day rolling average. I split the difference b/w "four and five months" and used May 13th as the comparison.

Deaths per day: 5/13 = 13.9. 9/24=3.6. Thats a drop of 74%
Tests per day: 5/13 = 2170. 9/24 = 6910. Thats an increase of 218%
% of tests returned positive: 5/13 = 13.9%. 9/24 = 8.7%. Thats a drop of 37%

AHSTW vs. St Albert. Our neighbor has two boys on the team. Said that two kids in at AHSTW tested positive for COVID yesterday. She said that neither of them were on the football team, but one was a volleyball player. Not sure how that correlates into canceling tonight's game. It was going to be a easy win for St Albert as AHSTW is down. Doesn't leave much time for SA to find a game.

AHSTW vs. St Albert. Our neighbor has two boys on the team. Said that two kids in at AHSTW tested positive for COVID yesterday. She said that neither of them were on the football team, but one was a volleyball player. Not sure how that correlates into canceling tonight's game. It was going to be a easy win for St Albert as AHSTW is down. Doesn't leave much time for SA to find a game.
Contact tracing must of hit a lot of kids for exposure. Otherwise no reason to cancel a game when no football players tested positive.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT