ADVERTISEMENT

COVID BA.5 Takes Over In US - This Is NOT Trivial

I wouldn’t even introduce social distancing guidelines.

no point. Classroom sizes, restaurants, and countless other things suffer too greatly.

it’s obvious people can completely unplug from society and become hermits. I say if that comforts them, let them.

I saw something yesterday suggesting that the newest Omicron variants - BA.4 and BA.5 - are not only more contagious but are particularly scary for 2 reasons.

1. They are much more effective at evading the antibodies produced by vaccines and the antibodies resulting from having caught COVID.

2. These variants seem to be targeting the lower lungs again. If you recall, the early variants through Delta hit the lower lungs hard, increasing hospitalizations and deaths. But Omicron tended to settle in the upper respiratory passages. So despite higher infectivity, we had lower hospitalization and death rates. But that could change with BA.4 and BA.5.

It's starting to look like the vaccines we'll have this fall will be tailored to Omicron. But which Omicron? If BA.1 and it's subvariants - which is what it looks like we'll get - that may be only slightly better than the original vaccines, if at all.
Thank God for Trump for getting those vaccines developed quickly.

• Haha
Reactions: ICHerky and torbee
I got my second booster last weekend on the advice of my doctor. She didn't want us traveling to Europe without it. I had intended to wait until the more targeted vaccines come out. Hopefully it protects me. My bff just let me know that her son and nephew just tested positive today. She started getting sick yesterday. Oh, and the son just got married last Friday so his wedding was probably a super spreader event. So that is fun.

Ditto here. I generally tend to take a while clearing out my chest after a cold as it is. This took a little longer than normal.
This. I had it at the beginning of June. Felt like the flu and then felt like a bad cold for a few days. Tested negative June 11 but still hanging around. Just did a full day of pretrial up in Waco and my voice would get horse and I lost my voice a few times. Trial is going to be a lot of fun

I saw something yesterday suggesting that the newest Omicron variants - BA.4 and BA.5 - are not only more contagious but are particularly scary for 2 reasons.

1. They are much more effective at evading the antibodies produced by vaccines and the antibodies resulting from having caught COVID.

2. These variants seem to be targeting the lower lungs again. If you recall, the early variants through Delta hit the lower lungs hard, increasing hospitalizations and deaths. But Omicron tended to settle in the upper respiratory passages. So despite higher infectivity, we had lower hospitalization and death rates. But that could change with BA.4 and BA.5.

It's starting to look like the vaccines we'll have this fall will be tailored to Omicron. But which Omicron? If BA.1 and it's subvariants - which is what it looks like we'll get - that may be only slightly better than the original vaccines, if at all.
How TF does a virus know if its in the upper or lower lung?

Reactions: Funky Bunch
In related news I saw a list of the 5 worst places to go if you are trying to be safe from COVID. I've forgotten the order of the last 3 but the first 2 were

PRISONS
GYMS

And the other 3 were

BARS
MOVIES
RESTAURANTS

So . . . who should we lock up? Use prisons to thin the herd?
Ok now, I go to the gym 3+ times a week. I have since 4 months into the pandemic when the gyms opened back up. I also go to bars and to restaurants. I have yet to get it (knock on wood) but I am there.. So I doubt this

The OP’s post is solid info.
FYI Pfizer has said they’re updating their vaccine to evolve with the variants.
Yours truly will get that Booster as soon as it’s available.

I'm just hoping my employer (and CMS) doesn't require me to get the Wuhan booster before the new and improved Omicron booster comes out.

So does this mean we are all going to die?

Wait you still think this started from
A bat?

That is what the science tells us. It's related to bat coronaviruses.
You could read some science on it and learn something, but I suspect that is beyond your level of critical thinking capability.

• Haha
Reactions: ICHerky

Can anyone explain to me the difference between a variant and a subvariant?

In related news I saw a list of the 5 worst places to go if you are trying to be safe from COVID. I've forgotten the order of the last 3 but the first 2 were

PRISONS
GYMS

And the other 3 were

BARS
MOVIES
RESTAURANTS

So . . . who should we lock up? Use prisons to thin the herd?
Hopefully, many in the trump criminal enterprise will be locked up in those prisons.

That is what the science tells us. It's related to bat coronaviruses.
You could read some science on it and learn something, but I suspect that is beyond your level of critical thinking capability.
So it didn't come from the bat coronavirus lab that studies and stores bat coronavirus? It would be strange if it showed up first in the city where the bat coronavirus lab was.

Note that death rate remains fairly low and flat. I read a week or two ago that BA.4 & BA.5 were comprising 70% of all new cases. If we don't see a spike in the death rate over the next 2-3 weeks I'd say this new "threat" is relatively toothless.

Reactions: EasyHawk
It actually is trivial. For all intents and purposes, Covid is done
Can't be done yet.

There are still old people and fat people and people with comorbidities. How are we going to be able to afford the best health care system in the world when we have so many vulnerable people left?

I mean that's why China and Fauci invented COVID, isn't it? To thin the herd?

Can't be done yet.

There are still old people and fat people and people with comorbidities. How are we going to be able to afford the best health care system in the world when we have so many vulnerable people left?

I mean that's why China and Fauci invented COVID, isn't it? To thin the herd?

Phuck em, life goes on,... or it doesn't.

You realize this means that covid is very prevalent, but it is not making people sick enough to get tested, get treatment, be hospitalized, or die from covid right?

I think this proves the point that America is moving on and covid is not that dangerous anymore.
Unless you are old, young or have comorbidities.

And who cares about those folks, amirite?

Party on!

"Two of America's top health agencies are reportedly hemorrhaging staff as poor decision-making, described by staff as 'bad science,' has led to low morale.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the National Institutes of Health (NIH) are both suffering staff shortages, according to Dr. Marty Makary, a top public-health expert at Johns Hopkins University, writes at Common Sense, the Substack run by former New York Times columnist, Bari Weiss.

Major decisions made by the agencies that hurt morale included support for masking in schools, school closures during the pandemic and the authorization of COVID-19 vaccines for children four and under."

Initial data showed children suffered limited risk when they contracted the virus, though, and that it was mainly the elderly and severely immunocompromised that bore the virus's burden.

Despite the evidence, the CDC still recommended schools stay closed until the end of the 2019-2020 school year."

You realize this means that covid is very prevalent, but it is not making people sick enough to get tested, get treatment, be hospitalized, or die from covid right?
Won't know that fully until 2-3 weeks into their current wave.

You treat it just like the meteorite that could drop out of the sky at any moment and kill you,.. You forget about it and go on with your life.

Lol... "don't look up"

"increasing hospitalizations and deaths" - of course, as the CDC stated, 75% of all deaths were people with 4 co-morbidities - so protect those that need protection, don't force most into holes.

Unfortunately the average American fits this category

The maximum efficacy of boosters is only running about 8 weeks before waning dramatically.

Even the new bivalent boosters??

Whatever happened with that US Army-led research into a COVID vaccine that would be universal against sub-variants?

That seems to me to be our best shot at putting this thing behind us once and for all.

Moderna and Pfizer will come out with a pan coronavirus first

Do you hang anything that says hospital and death rates are up?

Do you hang have anything that says hospital and death rates are up?

Yes

Iowa is >3x higher hospitalizations since early April

FL is about 4x higher hospitalizations since early April

Both are about 4x higher ICU inpatients than early April

ADVERTISEMENT