ADVERTISEMENT

COVID BA.5 Takes Over In US - This Is NOT Trivial

Nope

Just north of 1M Americans.
Something those mocking Covid claimed "could never happen" back in 2020.
To be fair to @artradley, he was only arguing that it wouldn't happen in the first year or so. Back then, we didn't expect the pandemic to last this long.

But, yeah, an order of magnitude worse than the worst nay-sayers like Trump were forecasting.

We have had a ton of folks get the new Covid in our office. I’m pretty sure we all have it to be honest. The folks that were confirmed just had a sore throat for a couple days.

Yesterday there were 5 or 6 of us with the same issue. Popped cough drop and went about our business.

Reactions: Gimmered
To be fair to @artradley, he was only arguing that it wouldn't happen in the first year or so. Back then, we didn't expect the pandemic to last this long.

But, yeah, an order of magnitude worse than the worst nay-sayers like Trump were forecasting.

We're still on an average pace of >100,000 deaths per year from Covid

>2000/week
And that's basically the "background" level, excluding the typical increases that occur around "flu/cold season"

While I agree, we're hitting the "endemic phase" here, and everyone's gonna get it, vaccines are going to eventually knock the numbers down. Covid is mutating much more frequently than early estimates, which is why early vaccines aren't as effective. We will probably get annual or semi-annual Covid shots, just like annual flu shots. Only Covid is ~5x to 10x more likely to kill you than flu is; a typical flu season kills 15-25k people, and Covid will easily be >5x that number. Probably well north of 10x w/o the vaccines.

We have had a ton of folks get the new Covid in our office. I’m pretty sure we all have it to be honest. The folks that were confirmed just had a sore throat for a couple days.

Yesterday there were 5 or 6 of us with the same issue. Popped cough drop and went about our business.
If no one had a positive test, then you really don't know what they had, do you?

Nope

Just north of 1M Americans.
Something those mocking Covid claimed "could never happen" back in 2020.

I never thought we would reach 1M either...I severely underestimated the stupidity of Americans.

It's ok, bro

Mid-summer is "flu and cold season" in America. These increases are seasonal, and totally normal....
🙄

Our hosp is low to none admitted...dont know the breakdown of location of current inpts..but would assume mostly in the south... this is the "covid season" for the south right now... indoors with AC, too hot for outdoor activities... seems to be following precious spikes

better have the owner call a temp agency, you’ll all die soon.

Our hosp is low to none admitted...dont know the breakdown of location of current inpts..but would assume mostly in the south... this is the "covid season" for the south right now... indoors with AC, too hot for outdoor activities... seems to be following precious spikes

The trends (again) are going to be Trump Country (unvaccinated)

The ratio of Covid deaths for the Least Vaccinated counties vs. the Most Vaccinated counties is ~3:1
Same ratio as in the highest decilesof Trump voters vs. the lowest decile.

deaths_vaxx_rate_071422.jpg

covid_deaths_red_blue_050121_071422.jpg

Previous infection is turning out to be far less protective than it is perceived to be.

And if he didn't go for a run and eat a good breakfast I guess he would pass that heart disease on to me if I sat next to him on an airplane right?
Just wondering what precautions he is taking for something that is twice as deadly to Americans than Covid.

If you are that worried why are you on the airplane?

Just wondering what precautions he is taking for something that is twice as deadly to Americans than Covid.

His decision; his outcome

What he eats doesn't affect anyone else.
Passing Covid on to someone else absolutely can affect their health and life.

You keep trying to equate things that aren't remotely the same.

Another important point here, is that "viral inoculum" is a thing.

Wearing a mask indoors when you're exposed to people infected may not prevent you from getting it, but it can/will absolutely lower your exposure level, which is far more likely to result in a less severe infection.

• Haha
Reactions: Pinehawk

You act like people are actively trying to spread Covid to you during what the rest of us call living normal life.

Are you sure your not a little grumpy that you followed all the "rules" like double masked quad vaxed and either still got covid, still living with anxiety/fear and looking for someone to blame?

Does everyone in your office live alone? By downplaying the virus you put others in your office, family members, and the general public at risk. If you're a person who doesn't care about others, then I would expect you to do exactly what you did.

Does everyone in your office live alone? By downplaying the virus you put others in your office, family members, and the general public at risk. If you're a person who doesn't care about others, then I would expect you to do exactly what you did.
Maybe there is middle ground; for those with Covid who basically can go about their business with little side effects; maybe have them wear a cowboy hat with a 12’ circumference in public.

Another important point here, is that "viral inoculum" is a thing.

Wearing a mask indoors when you're exposed to people infected may not prevent you from getting it, but it can/will absolutely lower your exposure level, which is far more likely to result in a less severe infection.
That's funny because I was at a rather large conference last week for two days and didn't see one mask.

The kicker is the much larger group in the other convention space was healthcare professionals 500-1000 of them and not a single one of them was in a mask.

You act like people are actively trying to spread Covid to you during what the rest of us call living normal life.

Are you sure your not a little grumpy that you followed all the "rules" like double masked quad vaxed and either still got covid, still living with anxiety/fear and looking for someone to blame?
Anyone who knows they're sick but continues be around coworkers/family/public is not living a normal life. If I had any contagious disease I would limit my interactions with others. Why would you ever want to pass something to anyone? The only people who do that are the people who don't care about others (including family) and are trying to prove a point. It's childish.

Reactions: Obviously Oblivious
Maybe there is middle ground; for those with Covid who basically can go about their business with little side effects; maybe have them wear a cowboy hat with a 12’ circumference in public.

Not that I'm against it but I think you'll get kickback in the south because what you're proposing isn't a cowboy hat but rather a sombrero.

• Haha
Reactions: Joes Place

I'm not "living in fear" of Covid
Nor do I "double mask"

I do come in contact with people who are at high risk, so I take modest precautions to don an N95 mask when I'm in busy indoor areas. That's not any "infringement on my rights", it's being considerate of others.

Is it a pain? Sure. But it's not so horribly overbearing for me to do something that might prevent someone else from getting really sick.

• Haha
That's funny because I was at a rather large conference last week for two days and didn't see one mask.

The kicker is the much larger group in the other convention space was healthcare professionals 500-1000 of them and not a single one of them was in a mask.

Maybe all the "healthcare professionals" are getting regular vaccine boosters.

• Haha
Anyone who knows they're sick but continues be around coworkers/family/public is not living a normal life. If I had any contagious disease I would limit my interactions with others. Why would you ever want to pass something to anyone? The only people who do that are the people who don't care about others (including family) and are trying to prove a point. It's childish.

seriously. I wouldn’t go to work if I just had a cold, why would you go to work if you are sick?

We have folks that have had it 3 times now. They simply Don’t care anymore.

I'm not "living in fear" of Covid
Nor do I "double mask"

I do come in contact with people who are at high risk, so I take modest precautions to don an N95 mask when I'm in busy indoor areas. That's not any "infringement on my rights", it's being considerate of others.

Is it a pain? Sure. But it's not so horribly overbearing for me to do something that might prevent someone else from getting really sick.

He pry doesn't wash his hands after using the bathroom either

• Haha
Reactions: Joes Place

If you really think hard about it, what you'll probably find is that people who are concerned about Covid will probably stay away from the conference.

For the other convention, did you by chance wonder over and ask if they required a recent negative test or were screening people as well.

The fact is, Covid is not gone. There are many reasons for someone to be concerned about Covid. Just because you might not have a reason to be concerned, that doesn't make others wrong.

seriously. I wouldn’t go to work if I just had a cold, why would you go to work if you are sick?

Sure, there are a lot of people who go to work to try and prove that they are "tough"

BUT

There are probably a lot more people who go to work sick because they can't afford to take a day off work.

Reactions: dgordo and ihhawk
We have folks that have had it 3 times now. They simply Don’t care anymore.

And I've had a cold multiple times, but I tend to care about others and stay away. If people in your office cared, then maybe they wouldn't have passed it to each other 3 times. Again when you pass it to someone, it tends to impact the whole family and not just the person you work with. In many situations people don't care until something bad happens. You've been lucky to this point, hopefully your luck will continue.

Sure, there are a lot of people who go to work to try and prove that they are "tough"

BUT

There are probably a lot more people who go to work sick because they can't afford to take a day off work.

I'm guessing that everyone in ihhawks office has sick or vacation days. ihhawk seems to have an office of "tough" guys.

It actually does when we all have to pay insurance that rises due to claims.

It actually does when we all have to pay insurance that rises due to claims.
But that's actually even worse with an infectious disease, that increases claims for many many more people.

Probably didn't think about that before posting this, did you?

Reactions: SB_SB
ADVERTISEMENT