ADVERTISEMENT

Covid Kim's push to reopen schools descends into chaos

Fill an outsider in... I thought it was being left up to the school districts and they’re offering full online. I know both my brother and sister (no pics) school districts in Iowa are hybrid with option to go full online. Just as they are doing in Minnesota from what I gather.

Students can now be within social distancing guidelines without a mask if it’s for less than 15 minutes.

Reactions: Pinehawk
On Covid 19 schools and daycare opening up nobody mentions the economic and financial side of things. What about the single mom who has to decide between staying home with their kid(s) or getting paid?

Local hospital in my area has all time high covid patients. They’re full so if you come in they’ll treat you and ship you out to another smaller hospital that has some room. Not a good time to be starting in person school.

tenor.gif

Fill an outsider in... I thought it was being left up to the school districts and they’re offering full online. I know both my brother and sister (no pics) school districts in Iowa are hybrid with option to go full online. Just as they are doing in Minnesota from what I gather.
Nope.

Schools HAVE to offer in school options or the educators licenses can be revoked and zero credit will be given to the students. UNLESS, the county the school in rises above 15% positive cases for 14 straight days. Using the states data that we know has not been collected or reported accurately.

And keep in mind, the CDC recommends a 5% threshold, not 15%.

She is treating this just like she did packing plants. “Sure, there’s COVID around you but you go in there anyway, or I’ll punish you”.

Meanwhile......In "experiences earlier this year"

ISRAEL
  • Mid-May: <20 new cases per day, nationwide.
  • June 3: 130 cases reported in a single school, only 2 weeks after schools fully reopened.
  • July: 1000+ new cases per day nationwide, roughly matching per capita case rates in the US and erasing the progress gained from strict containment measures. Discussions of another lockdown are in progress.
  • In the US, safety guidelines around testing typically suggest that positivity rates must be below 5%. Israel was well below 0.5% in May.
ENGLAND
INDIANA, US
  • In Greenfield, Indiana, a junior high school opened for in-person learning on July 30. They reported their first positive COVID-19 test the first day.
GEORGIA, US

TEXAS, US
As the number of cases in a community increase, so does the likelihood of a school outbreak. This puts the health and lives of our children, teachers, families, and neighbors at risk, and poses further risks to communities that are already struggling to contain the virus.

See a spreadsheet which details more than 400 articles about Covid-19-related school closures, cases, and deaths in the K-12 school system in the US (as of 14 Aug. 2020).

https://www.endcoronavirus.org/schools

I'm simply baffled at the stupidity.

I haven't heard any teachers bitch about things the way you guys do. Most would be fine without masks. Then again I teach in the high school so I don't too often run into the dumber than a box of rocks unionized teachers in the elementary who can't think for themselves.

Reactions: anon_89hvcc2uyzmki
Teachers are already quitting. And expect sick outs early and often.
I don't know about the sick outs. I think we will feel guilty missing time because of the burden it will put on the rest of the staff. We will already be covering for each other due to lack of subs. We are short a teacher already because she is having cancer treatments and we can't find a sub for her to start the year.

Thats unpossible. The state gov only offers help when the local gov requests it. Thats what im told on FB after derecho.

I don't know about the sick outs. I think we will feel guilty missing time because of the burden it will put on the rest of the staff. We will already be covering for each other due to lack of subs. We are short a teacher already because she is having cancer treatments and we can't find a sub for her to start the year.
Good on ya. Be safe man.

One of the teachers that quit was teaching tender age kids, and she said it would kill her to watch a kid scrape their knee, start crying and want a hug. She said she couldn’t tell a kid “Sorry, but I just can’t, now get behind that line”.

Reactions: Tom Paris
We’re in Ankeny and decided to do all virtual learning for our 3rd grader and kindergartener for the 1st semester. Reason being my 6 year-old has mild asthma and spent a week in the PICU 2 years ago fighting a different coronavirus strain. Was hell.

Anyway, not sure how many elementary aged kids are in Ankeny (guessing around 3000 or so), but found out tonight there are a little over 700 elementary kids there doing all virtual learning for the 1st semester.

I think/hope we made the right call.

We’re in Ankeny and decided to do all virtual learning for our 3rd grader and kindergartener for the 1st semester. Reason being my 6 year-old has mild asthma and spent a week in the PICU 2 years ago fighting a different coronavirus strain. Was hell.

Anyway, not sure how many elementary aged kids are in Ankeny (guessing around 3000 or so), but found out tonight there are a little over 700 elementary kids there doing all virtual learning for the 1st semester.

I think/hope we made the right call.
We are doing the same thing nearby school district for simliar aged kids. If anything, we can help the ones who don't have a choice/go back in person to possibly be able to space out etc. We will see how things are going after 9 weeks and hopefully opt in, but I fear this will be a shit show and everyone will be joining us at home sooner or later.

On Covid 19 schools and daycare opening up nobody mentions the economic and financial side of things. What about the single mom who has to decide between staying home with their kid(s) or getting paid?
What about the mom whose kid comes home and gets her too sick to care for her kid for weeks? Why don't people mention this? :)

Reactions: SB_SB and Tom Paris
We are doing the same thing nearby school district for simliar aged kids. If anything, we can help the ones who don't have a choice/go back in person to possibly be able to space out etc. We will see how things are going after 9 weeks and hopefully opt in, but I fear this will be a shit show and everyone will be joining us at home sooner or later.
Our kids are older (10th and 7th). We are sending them for the hybrid model them giving it the old college try. reduced capacity with masks and 50% in person seems like a good balance. I think it is probably 50/50 schools are eventually fully remote for period and would like them to get some socialization with friends before the plug is pulled. They've been pretty isolated since mid march. Very happy to have my son back in football where he gets to be with peers, and it has been good for his soul. It is outside and he's a defensive back so if there is a position other than kicker/punter that is going to be less exposed it would be him...

Will someone please let me know when it’s safe to come out of my house? TIA

Who says you can't leave your house?

Just don't go into crowded school buildings, bars, or stores that allow people to run around unmasked. I was out drinking at a couple craft brew places last weekend; outdoors, masks, distancing. Just Fine.

I suspect when push comes to shove... Kimmy will back down on those threats that she's currently making.

She's setting herself up for failure just to keep the WH and a few influential donors happy.

Reynolds............on behalf of all Iowans... GET YOUR SHIT TOGETHER!

I suspect when push comes to shove... Kimmy will back down on those threats that she's currently making.

She's setting herself up for failure just to keep the WH and a few influential donors happy.

Reynolds............on behalf of all Iowans... GET YOUR SHIT TOGETHER!
I bet she doesn’t back down at all.

She is a denier. She doesn’t think it’s is a big deal.

I bet she doesn’t back down at all.

She is a denier. She doesn’t think it’s is a big deal.
School administrators and educators, in general, are a pretty tight knit community. Reynolds and the BOE start suspending licenses and you'll have a mutiny.

Kimmy has been exposed as a rather weak Governor and I doubt many people respect her, personally.

The guidelines that she's stretching are beyond ridiculous. 3X the CDC numbers is asking for trouble.

A lot of hysteria in this thread. Costs of keeping kids out of school far exceed the risks. Most of my family works in education. We are all either already back in the classroom teaching kids or will be shortly.

Costs.

That’s what your driver is? Not kids? Not teachers? Not families? But cost?

OK then.

Costs in terms of academic achievement for kids in the short and long term. Increased depression, anxiety, and suicide. Increased abuse. Malnutrition. Lack of life opportunities as a result of being deprived of an education. Inadequate services for kids with special needs. You know, little things like this.

Costs in terms of academic achievement for kids in the short and long term. Increased depression, anxiety, and suicide. Increased abuse. Malnutrition. Lack of life opportunities as a result of being deprived of an education. Inadequate services for kids with special needs. You know, little things like this.

More kids' lives are going to be profoundly impacted in a negative way by keeping schools closed than will ever be impacted by covid.

ADVERTISEMENT