ADVERTISEMENT

COVID taste and smell question

comp_sci_hawk

HR MVP
Jun 28, 2002
For those who have COVID and lost taste and smell, how long did it last? I'm going on ten days, kinda sucks. I feel fine just can't smell or taste anything.

Any recommendations on helping to get it back? I've read a bit about mint, ginger, and other strong flavors help retrain nose but hasn't help me a bit

I'm going on a good year and a half of a screwed up sense of smell.

Taste came back a month or so after, but smell never came back the same. I can still smell but it's hard to explain the difference what it was before.

Taste came back a month or so after, but smell never came back the same. I can still smell but it's hard to explain the difference what it was before.

If you hated Cilantro before, you should for sure give it a shot again!

Reactions: ggmditka
For those who have COVID and lost taste and smell, how long did it last? I'm going on ten days, kinda sucks. I feel fine just can't smell or taste anything.

Any recommendations on helping to get it back? I've read a bit about mint, ginger, and other strong flavors help retrain nose but hasn't help me a bit
👅🍆 will fix it

I lost mine is the fall of 2020 and it took 2 weeks to get it back at maybe 75%.

Still today though I still think it’s maybe 90% of what I used to be able to taste.

Taste was back in about two weeks and it was about a month before the sniffer started working properly.

I didn't lose my taste at all and neither did my wife. My mother's taste and smell got completely rewired. She says nothing tastes right and everything smells like garbage (literally the smell of rotten trash) and it's been going on for 6+ months. Her best friend said things she liked before, she doesn't and vise versa. COVID is like rolling the dice.

I saw a story on the news about a pain clinic that was giving stellate ganglion blocks to patients suffering from loss of taste and smell due to covid. I can't find the story, but it supposedly works almost immediately. Google has lots of articles about it. Here is one from a pain clinic:

It took about 4 months for my smell to come back. Taste came back after a month.

Reactions: Moral
Took about 2 months... feel like it's not totally back yet though, especially the smell. Also, more sour/acidic tasting are tough to eat now, never had that issue before.

Same here. Had COVID 16 months ago and both senses aren’t what they used to be. My sense of smell is almost gone and sense of taste is especially off - very similar to when you’ve burned your tongue on hot coffee and can’t really taste much for a few days.

I had Covid in January and still could not smell the barbecue on the 4th of July.

It took me about 3 months to get my taste and smell back after having Covid.

I was under the impression that loss of taste and smell was less of a factor with the newer variants.

Same here. Had COVID 16 months ago and both senses aren’t what they used to be. My sense of smell is almost gone and sense of taste is especially off - very similar to when you’ve burned your tongue on hot coffee and can’t really taste much for a few days.

This is just so weird. I assume it is a side effect of the virus and not an intentional aspect of the "viral planning or evolution". But it is just weird.

I had about a month where I could smell, but there was just a constant off smell to everything. Not bad per se, but just off. It is hard to describe. Luckily it came back though. I've read people describe it as a smokey smell. Eh, maybe slightly smokey but not really.

Im on year 2. Not 100% back with either. I can’t smell human farts but I can smell animal shit going by a farm. I can tell there’s an odor, but it doesn’t stink when it comes to humans farts or poo. A lot of things don’t taste the same as they used to. Very hard to describe because I can’t. Nothing to compare how things taste as it’s all new or different in some cases. I don’t know if I’ll ever be 100% back at this point.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT