ADVERTISEMENT

COVID wave is rising in U.S. because immunity is down and precautions have grown lax

Kenneth Griffin

HR Legend
Jan 13, 2012
Over recent weeks, since before Thanksgiving, there has been a significant and steep rise in COVID-19-related hospitalizations for Americans 70 and older. Nationally, that rate now exceeds the peak of the BA.5 summer wave and the Delta wave in the summer of 2021 — and this surge is still in sharp ascent. This is a signal that we are in for some trouble.

The new wave is largely being missed, with scant media coverage. The case numbers, of about 50,000 per day, represent a gross underestimate because home rapid antigen tests are not centrally reported and because some people with symptoms or exposure are not getting tested. Nevertheless, tests of wastewater are finding levels of SARS-CoV-2 quickly rising, which tracks with the increase in hospitalizations among seniors. So does the rate of COVID test positivity, which has risen 35% in the past two weeks.

This is part of a global COVID wave, being seen throughout much of Europe, South America and the Middle East and in China, Japan, South Korea, Australia and New Zealand. The only continent that appears to be spared to date is Africa.

Why is this happening yet again, after 13 billion doses of vaccines have been administered and after more than 650 million confirmed infections? Shouldn’t enough people have enough immunity to stave off a wave of infections at this point? Unfortunately no, principally because our immune system protection against the virus wanes over time, especially as it evolved to Omicron and its multiple subvariants. By four to six months after vaccination or a booster shot, there is a substantial drop-off of neutralizing antibodies and protection against hospitalization — though that protection is largely restored by a new booster shot.

A second factor is that mitigation measures have largely been abandoned. Few people are masking, especially with N95 or KN95 masks, and there are more indoor gatherings occurring because of colder weather and the holidays. Testing is no longer as common to screen people who are exposed to the virus. Little to no attention is being paid to ventilation or air filtration. The pervasive attitude is that the pandemic is over.

It is not. Denial of circulating virus will not make it go away or reduce its toll of ill effects.

The third factor is the BQ.1.1 variant that is on a path to dominance. In the week ending Dec. 3, it constituted 32% of cases. This strain has an additional key mutation beyond BQ.1 that makes it more evasive of our immune system, so there is still more to expect of BQ.1.1’s impact as it continues to spread.

Notably, BQ.1.1 and another variant, XBB, are the two strains most effective at escaping our immune response, so effective that they resist all commercially available monoclonal antibodies and Evusheld, a combination antibody used to prevent the toll of infections in the immunocompromised.

So what can impede this growing wave? First, more people need to get the bivalent booster that is effective against Omicron variants. Only one in three seniors has had a booster over the past six months or longer; less than 15% of all Americans eligible have had the bivalent shot. In many peer countries the rate of recent boosters for seniors is 80% or higher. We are doing a pathetic job of protecting our elders here.

Newly posted data from the CDC show an 80% reduction of hospitalizations for people of all ages who had two booster shots compared with the unvaccinated. The bivalent booster, available since the first week in September, has shown a fivefold to tenfold increase in antibodies to BQ.1.1. This is fortunate; while we expected the booster would broaden the immune response to other variants, it was unknown whether it would help against BQ.1.1.

Second, mitigation factors — such as high-quality masks, distancing, testing and attention to air quality — should be used in places that pose a high risk of transmission. Anyone who doesn’t take seriously the risk of COVID infection is in denial about the risk of long COVID and its potentially disabling effects. And people should be taking precautions not only for their own sake but also out of respect for the immunocompromised and aged among us.

Now that vaccines and boosters don’t help reduce infection very much, or for very long, we have to go back to the basics for protection against respiratory viruses. That is not only a COVID precaution. Consider the high rate of influenza hospitalizations in the United States, the worst in the past decade, and RSV, which is also hitting children and older adults hard right now.

Beyond waning immunity and relaxed precautions, a third factor in this new wave is that we have failed to keep up with the virus. We’ve lost the powerful monoclonal antibodies as effective treatment backstops or for helping bolster protection for more than 7 million Americans who are immunocompromised. There are no backup pills yet to Paxlovid, which has been highly effective in reducing hospitalizations and deaths. Unlike other countries, the United States has shown no leadership for aggressively pursuing nasal vaccines, with their promise of blocking infections and transmission, or more durable, broadly effective, variant-proof vaccines.

We don’t know how severe the new COVID wave will be. With all the infections and vaccinations we’ve had here, there’s an immunity wall built that should reduce the severity of symptoms compared with some prior waves. But our relatively low rate of booster shots and our waned immunity leave the U.S. particularly vulnerable.

The new COVID wave is talking to us. Let’s listen and take action.

Eric J. Topol is a professor of molecular medicine at Scripps Research and author of the newsletter Ground Truths.

The number of Covid deaths from vaccinated persons now exceeds deaths from the unvaccinated. Per the WSJ.
THAT is horrible.

Over recent weeks, since before Thanksgiving, there has been a significant and steep rise in COVID-19-related hospitalizations for Americans 70 and older. Nationally, that rate now exceeds the peak of the BA.5 summer wave and the Delta wave in the summer of 2021 — and this surge is still in sharp ascent. This is a signal that we are in for some trouble.

The new wave is largely being missed, with scant media coverage. The case numbers, of about 50,000 per day, represent a gross underestimate because home rapid antigen tests are not centrally reported and because some people with symptoms or exposure are not getting tested. Nevertheless, tests of wastewater are finding levels of SARS-CoV-2 quickly rising, which tracks with the increase in hospitalizations among seniors. So does the rate of COVID test positivity, which has risen 35% in the past two weeks.

This is part of a global COVID wave, being seen throughout much of Europe, South America and the Middle East and in China, Japan, South Korea, Australia and New Zealand. The only continent that appears to be spared to date is Africa.

Why is this happening yet again, after 13 billion doses of vaccines have been administered and after more than 650 million confirmed infections? Shouldn’t enough people have enough immunity to stave off a wave of infections at this point? Unfortunately no, principally because our immune system protection against the virus wanes over time, especially as it evolved to Omicron and its multiple subvariants. By four to six months after vaccination or a booster shot, there is a substantial drop-off of neutralizing antibodies and protection against hospitalization — though that protection is largely restored by a new booster shot.

A second factor is that mitigation measures have largely been abandoned. Few people are masking, especially with N95 or KN95 masks, and there are more indoor gatherings occurring because of colder weather and the holidays. Testing is no longer as common to screen people who are exposed to the virus. Little to no attention is being paid to ventilation or air filtration. The pervasive attitude is that the pandemic is over.

It is not. Denial of circulating virus will not make it go away or reduce its toll of ill effects.

The third factor is the BQ.1.1 variant that is on a path to dominance. In the week ending Dec. 3, it constituted 32% of cases. This strain has an additional key mutation beyond BQ.1 that makes it more evasive of our immune system, so there is still more to expect of BQ.1.1’s impact as it continues to spread.

Notably, BQ.1.1 and another variant, XBB, are the two strains most effective at escaping our immune response, so effective that they resist all commercially available monoclonal antibodies and Evusheld, a combination antibody used to prevent the toll of infections in the immunocompromised.

So what can impede this growing wave? First, more people need to get the bivalent booster that is effective against Omicron variants. Only one in three seniors has had a booster over the past six months or longer; less than 15% of all Americans eligible have had the bivalent shot. In many peer countries the rate of recent boosters for seniors is 80% or higher. We are doing a pathetic job of protecting our elders here.

Newly posted data from the CDC show an 80% reduction of hospitalizations for people of all ages who had two booster shots compared with the unvaccinated. The bivalent booster, available since the first week in September, has shown a fivefold to tenfold increase in antibodies to BQ.1.1. This is fortunate; while we expected the booster would broaden the immune response to other variants, it was unknown whether it would help against BQ.1.1.

Second, mitigation factors — such as high-quality masks, distancing, testing and attention to air quality — should be used in places that pose a high risk of transmission. Anyone who doesn’t take seriously the risk of COVID infection is in denial about the risk of long COVID and its potentially disabling effects. And people should be taking precautions not only for their own sake but also out of respect for the immunocompromised and aged among us.

Now that vaccines and boosters don’t help reduce infection very much, or for very long, we have to go back to the basics for protection against respiratory viruses. That is not only a COVID precaution. Consider the high rate of influenza hospitalizations in the United States, the worst in the past decade, and RSV, which is also hitting children and older adults hard right now.

Beyond waning immunity and relaxed precautions, a third factor in this new wave is that we have failed to keep up with the virus. We’ve lost the powerful monoclonal antibodies as effective treatment backstops or for helping bolster protection for more than 7 million Americans who are immunocompromised. There are no backup pills yet to Paxlovid, which has been highly effective in reducing hospitalizations and deaths. Unlike other countries, the United States has shown no leadership for aggressively pursuing nasal vaccines, with their promise of blocking infections and transmission, or more durable, broadly effective, variant-proof vaccines.

We don’t know how severe the new COVID wave will be. With all the infections and vaccinations we’ve had here, there’s an immunity wall built that should reduce the severity of symptoms compared with some prior waves. But our relatively low rate of booster shots and our waned immunity leave the U.S. particularly vulnerable.

Eric J. Topol is a professor of molecular medicine at Scripps Research and author of the newsletter Ground Truths.

Where's this wave?

It’s from a Monday article that said recently the number of deaths from Covid among vaccinated persons exceeded the number of deaths among the unvaccinated.

HINT: This is because MOST people now have had a vaccine. The RATES for vaccinated vs unvaccinated are still HEAVILY tilted towards those not vaccinated.

And I posted this "concept" for people probably a year ago. It's literally how the math works.

Reactions: Obviously Oblivious
So if out of 100 people, 98 were vaccinated and 2 were not, and 2 of the vaccinated died and 1 of the unvaccinated died, would THAT still be horrible?

Math is hard.
Exactly what is now happening.

And the definition of "vaccinated" should be clarified as to whether people had bi-valent boosters, or not. Because the original doses aren't well-matched to circulating strains and are less effective.

This is quite similar to annual flu vaccines, and that's how many projected it was going to play out. They were correct.

• Haha
Reactions: Pinehawk
Where's this wave?

FjOVpnaUoAAUoSb

So if out of 100 people, 98 were vaccinated and 2 were not, and 2 of the vaccinated died and 1 of the unvaccinated died, would THAT still be horrible?

Math is hard.
Any unnecessary or somewhat untimely death is hard on those left behind.
I’m vaccinated and hope that if I do contract the virus I’ll recover.
That’s not math, but perhaps that’s hard as well.

Some of you still really upset we are getting back to living our lives without fear?
LOLWUT?

I don't "fear" my car. But I wear my seatbelt.
Neither "fear" the flu or Covid. But I'm up to date on vaccines, and I don a mask in places that request me to do it, for the protection of others.

LOLWUT?

I don't "fear" my car. But I wear my seatbelt.
Neither "fear" the flu or Covid. But I'm up to date on vaccines, and I don a mask in places that request me to do it, for the protection of others.
I’m surprised that a virtue-signaling scientist that posts condescending stuff like this....
He's too dumb to understand, that even "just" 19% effective (preventing ~1 in 5 infections) reduces the disease burden ~10-fold over 10 generations of infections.

That's nearly 150k infections vs 15k. But because he doesn't understand "geometric growth", that "19%" looks too small to be doing much. It actually can do quite a lot...

.....And this.....
Anything >0% has a positive effect.

...wouldn’t just wear a mask when they’re ‘requested’ to but would wear them EVERYWHERE! I mean, if it stops just one case, right?

You might even want to consider double masking. Like Fauci said, it just makes common sense that two is better than one.

So if you’re not doing these things to help the cause please spare us any further lectures. Your words are falling short.

I’m surprised that a virtue-signaling scientist that posts condescending stuff like this....
He's too dumb to understand, that even "just" 19% effective (preventing ~1 in 5 infections) reduces the disease burden ~10-fold over 10 generations of infections.

This is precisely what the math shows.

Are you too uneducated to understand it?

Over Thanksgiving (no pics of anyone) my wife, my 88 year old Mother In Law and myself all had Covid (I assume I had it although I did not test-had mild cold/flu symptoms-the others actually tested positive and felt the same). We hunkered down a few days and I was back to work by Monday. Why is this even post worthy?

Over Thanksgiving (no pics of anyone) my wife, my 88 year old Mother In Law and myself all had Covid (I assume I had it although I did not test-had mild cold/flu symptoms-the others actually tested positive and felt the same). We hunkered down a few days and I was back to work by Monday. Why is this even post worthy?
Because most people in America are not up to date on their boosters.

This is precisely what the math shows.

Are you too uneducated to understand it?
I’m not questioning the math (though to be fair, using .02 for mask efficacy instead of .19 in your equation would be more accurate) I’m talking about your silly ‘rules-for-thee-but-not-for-me’ hypocrisy.

If you actually believe what you say about masking then you would mask up everywhere - every time. NOT just when requested. You obviously don’t believe it.
Classic virtue signaler.

Good riddance. 🙋‍♂️

getty_962466980_405772.jpg

Reactions: goldmom
Any unnecessary or somewhat untimely death is hard on those left behind.
I’m vaccinated and hope that if I do contract the virus I’ll recover.
That’s not math, but perhaps that’s hard as well.
Annnnnd she still doesn't get the point, not that it should surprise anyone.

Annnnnd she still doesn't get the point, not that it should surprise anyone.
I’m here in support of OP’s original post because I believe in trying to do what we can to minimize risk of illness and death.
Beyond that is there a reason why I should care at all about your opinion?

Reactions: dgordo
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT