ADVERTISEMENT

Covid's impact on college age students

GunnerHawk

HR All-American
Mar 16, 2014
In South Carolina here are recent stats:

11% cases under age 20 - 0 deaths
36% between 21 and 50 - 0 deaths under 30, 2% between 31 and 50 (preexisting conditions)
37% cases between 51 and 70, 30% of the deaths, once again preexisting conditions big factor)
16% over age 70 - 68% of deaths

Under age 30 you may get Covid but it won't kill you
Under age 50 still very few deaths and preexisting conditions are a key factor
Over 50 much more risk, over 70 significant jump in deaths.

Under age 50 risks are greatly reduced.

Thought I would share. I think our youth, fortunately are at a much lower risk.

Reactions: obfuscating
NJ has, as of today, 11,339 deaths. of that 0.4% are 0-29. that's 45 deaths under age 29

NYS has 23,643 deaths , 102 are under age 29.

Of course there are exceptions, but, for the most part, if you are young and healthy you are unlikely to get Covid and are almost never going to die from it

https://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2020/may/25/you-are-not-going-to-die-from-covid-19/

Those numbers are contrary to what the CDC reported. Granted, the numbers were from May 20th when 70,000 total had died but only 88 people 24 and under had died nationwide at that time.

Those numbers are contrary to what the CDC reported. Granted, the numbers were from May 20th when 70,000 total had died but only 88 people 24 and under had died nationwide at that time.

I took those numbers directly from the NJ & NYS covid tracker websites. Both states document 0.4% death rate in people 29 & younger. 88 people under 29 in the whole country sounds absurdly low.

NJ.. Scroll to the bottom for the tracker.. Click the demographic tab
https://covid19.nj.gov/

NYS fatalities by age group

https://covid19tracker.health.ny.go...ker-Fatalities?:embed=yes&:toolbar=no&:tabs=n

I took those numbers directly from the NJ & NYS covid tracker websites. Both states document 0.4% death rate in people 29 & younger. 88 people under 29 in the whole country sounds absurdly low.

NJ.. Scroll to the bottom for the tracker.. Click the demographic tab
https://covid19.nj.gov/

NYS fatalities by age group

https://covid19tracker.health.ny.gov/views/NYS-COVID19-Tracker/NYSDOHCOVID-19Tracker-Fatalities?:embed=yes&:toolbar=no&:tabs=n

I have no idea which site is right or wrong. Just stating what is on the CDC website.

Sure athletes are unlikely to have symptoms, let alone get seriously ill. But they will still test positive. It's likely many will. Athletes won't be allowed to practice/play while positive and COVID stays in your system for weeks. So many players could be infected it could force teams to forfeit games - especially smaller roster sports like basketball. I believe this is the biggest threat to having sports in the Fall.

Reactions: David1979
85% to 95% of all deaths have been 60 years and older. Those under 60 most likely already had a condition that COVID facilitated in (not caused) the death.

Iowa's info per the state government: https://coronavirus.iowa.gov/pages/case-counts

Most of those getting it are under 40. Very few over 60 relatively are getting it. Many of those over 60, again relatively, are dying from it. Where do you think they are getting it? Not from people over 60. It's the younger, infected people who are spreading it.

55% of the positive cases in Iowa are ages 40+. 18-40 is the largest segment of cases, with 42%.

To your question of where those 60 and over are getting it, the answer is it's going to vary. In the very elderly, it's likely from each other (think nursing homes). But taking this further, are you advocating that everyone must stay sheltered in place to protect everyone 60 and over? How about we focus all resources on supporting the older people so that they don't HAVE to go out and mingle in public if they don't want to.

Reactions: Simbahawk4
55% of the positive cases in Iowa are ages 40+. 18-40 is the largest segment of cases, with 42%.

To your question of where those 60 and over are getting it, the answer is it's going to vary. In the very elderly, it's likely from each other (think nursing homes). But taking this further, are you advocating that everyone must stay sheltered in place to protect everyone 60 and over? How about we focus all resources on supporting the older people so that they don't HAVE to go out and mingle in public if they don't want to.
You are cherry picking here. 78% of those infected are between 18 - 60. 42% are between 18 - 40, while only 19% are over 60. 87% of those killed by COVID-19 are in the over 60 group.

What I am saying is that the under 40 crowd does not appear to be considering the risk they pose to the rest of the population. The 41- -60 crowd is not much better. You may survive it but you might kill older people with your carelessness. Too many people just don't seem to care whether they hurt others. Selfishness at its worst.

NJ has, as of today, 11,339 deaths. of that 0.4% are 0-29. that's 45 deaths under age 29

NYS has 23,643 deaths , 102 are under age 29.

Of course there are exceptions, but, for the most part, if you are young and healthy you are unlikely to get Covid and are almost never going to die from it

https://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2020/may/25/you-are-not-going-to-die-from-covid-19/

They are just as likely to get it, it is just that you would never know it because they don't get hit hard enough to end up getting tested or go to doctor. Even if my kids got something right now, unless they showed severe symptoms I would not take them to the doctor. Would be a waste of time and money. If symptoms reached severe then yes we would go to doctor. Just like with any other virus.

You are cherry picking here. 78% of those infected are between 18 - 60. 42% are between 18 - 40, while only 19% are over 60. 87% of those killed by COVID-19 are in the over 60 group.

What I am saying is that the under 40 crowd does not appear to be considering the risk they pose to the rest of the population. The 41- -60 crowd is not much better. You may survive it but you might kill older people with your carelessness. Too many people just don't seem to care whether they hurt others. Selfishness at its worst.

This is the deal where if one person can't do something then no one should be able to (kind of liking being a kid again and having parents that did that). Most of those in the upper reaches of age should be retired or otherwise able to avoid going to work. They should be able to even avoid groceries stores or pharmacy pick ups. They don't have to go inside to get gas in car. Does it suck for them, it sure does. But anyone at risk or not comfortable should stay home and stay isolated.

Reactions: LarryMullenJr.
How many professors aren't washing their hands, or teaching from a safe distance, etc. Be smart, protect yourself/others as needed, stay away if you don't feel well, and live life.
That’s what we’re doing at my home. There’s no reason to congregate in a classroom when a computer and a camera gets the job done safely.

Reactions: BBHawk
How many professors aren't washing their hands, or teaching from a safe distance, etc. Be smart, protect yourself/others as needed, stay away if you don't feel well, and live life.

Assuming U of I will have masks and face shields required in classes since that is a U of I study that keeps getting out in the media about an increase in cases unless everyone does those two things specifically, masks and face shields.

Assuming U of I will have masks and face shields required in classes since that is a U of I study that keeps getting out in the media about an increase in cases unless everyone does those two things specifically, masks and face shields.

While not disagreeing with you, more just to point out the many things we can all cite (and misinformation), it's like everyone's hero Dr. Fauci said; the masks are questionable because then everyone is fiddling with them and touching their faces exponentially more often.
And as has been questioned; are the mortality statistics correct because are we being told that 100k died FROM the virus or died WITH the virus.
We can all go back-and-forth with numbers and such and it does suck because nobody trust anyone else anymore, and many times with good reason. At some point we need to count those who have lost income and committed suicide BECAUSE of the effects FROM the virus, or the violence committed by desperate folks, or the kids who don't have lunches because they aren't in school, etc. Those things matter too.

Like I said, we can go back-and-forth all day, each making solid points.

In South Carolina here are recent stats:

11% cases under age 20 - 0 deaths
36% between 21 and 50 - 0 deaths under 30, 2% between 31 and 50 (preexisting conditions)
37% cases between 51 and 70, 30% of the deaths, once again preexisting conditions big factor)
16% over age 70 - 68% of deaths

Under age 30 you may get Covid but it won't kill you
Under age 50 still very few deaths and preexisting conditions are a key factor
Over 50 much more risk, over 70 significant jump in deaths.

Under age 50 risks are greatly reduced.

Thought I would share. I think our youth, fortunately are at a much lower risk.

Any idea on the hospitalization rates? While deaths are obviously the worst outcome, you can still go through hell if you get hospitalized with this virus.

While not disagreeing with you, more just to point out the many things we can all cite (and misinformation), it's like everyone's hero Dr. Fauci said; the masks are questionable because then everyone is fiddling with them and touching their faces exponentially more often.
And as has been questioned; are the mortality statistics correct because are we being told that 100k died FROM the virus or died WITH the virus.
We can all go back-and-forth with numbers and such and it does suck because nobody trust anyone else anymore, and many times with good reason. At some point we need to count those who have lost income and committed suicide BECAUSE of the effects FROM the virus, or the violence committed by desperate folks, or the kids who don't have lunches because they aren't in school, etc. Those things matter too.

The deaths are under represented.

I get it. For some reason the local tv outlets grabbed on to that U of I research study. Have any of those researchers ever had grade school age kids for crying out loud. You ain't keeping a mask and face shield on them. Nature now has to work its course. We can't have young kids missing another year of school hoping for a vaccine and the kids will bring it home to parents. The elderly/at risk need to remain vigilant and stay in as much as possible.

from my standpoint just the focus on hand washing has been a huge improvement over the past. If that stays up there the next cold and flu season should be a lot milder, although again the grade school ages really spread the stuff and they tend to do the 2 second hand wash and don't cover coughs and sneezes, etc.

Not trying to be a Richard, but the number of unreported "I had it and didn't even know it because I thought it was the regular flu, or I was just plain old sick" is massively more under-represented.

Could be quite the opposite. Since Covid, flu deaths suddenly dropped in half or more. Here is a quote from CDC for 201920:
The number of hospitalizations estimated so far this season is lower than end-of-season total hospitalization estimates for any season since CDC began making these estimates.

Funny how Covid deaths are jumping up and flu going down, isn't it. Maybe misreporting?

Sure athletes are unlikely to have symptoms, let alone get seriously ill. But they will still test positive. It's likely many will. Athletes won't be allowed to practice/play while positive and COVID stays in your system for weeks. So many players could be infected it could force teams to forfeit games - especially smaller roster sports like basketball. I believe this is the biggest threat to having sports in the Fall.
Do you think the risk is low for a 330lb lineman?

You are making way too many assumptions about what is or is not motivating people. I am not killing anyone with carelesness. How exactly are you determining that the under-40 crowd is not considering the risk? By doing what, exactly? Breathing? You do realize that it's not possible for every single person in society to stay locked in their homes for 18 months. Food doesn't magically appear on shelves or get to a home. Income isn't magically earned. Some people work at jobs that cannot be done at home.

I haven't seen my elderly parents in person in 2+ months, nor have I been in the same place with other elderly family members or friends in the same time. So you can stick your chastisement for what my motivations are in a deep hole. There is enough data now to know who is at most risk from this. Spend our resources on protecting those people. The economy needs to be allowed to continue, or there will be nothing to take care of the sick, the elderly or to feed/clothe people. Just because a person advocates that the economy be re-opened doesn't mean I want people to die. Quite the opposite, actually.

You are making way too many assumptions about what is or is not motivating people. I am not killing anyone with carelesness. How exactly are you determining that the under-40 crowd is not considering the risk? By doing what, exactly? Breathing? You do realize that it's not possible for every single person in society to stay locked in their homes for 18 months. Food doesn't magically appear on shelves or get to a home. Income isn't magically earned. Some people work at jobs that cannot be done at home.

I haven't seen my elderly parents in person in 2+ months, nor have I been in the same place with other elderly family members or friends in the same time. So you can stick your chastisement for what my motivations are in a deep hole. There is enough data now to know who is at most risk from this. Spend our resources on protecting those people. The economy needs to be allowed to continue, or there will be nothing to take care of the sick, the elderly or to feed/clothe people. Just because a person advocates that the economy be re-opened doesn't mean I want people to die. Quite the opposite, actually.
I am talking about the numbers.
Wear a mask when you aren't alone or at home.

Practice social distancing.

Wash your hands frequently.

This is what I am asking. The 18-60 group appears to be responsible for most of the spread. Fix that and we go on.

Reactions: mariner67
I am talking about the numbers.
Wear a mask when you aren't alone or at home.

Practice social distancing.

Wash your hands frequently.

This is what I am asking. The 18-60 group appears to be responsible for most of the spread. Fix that and we go on.

We are basically in agreement. People are doing those things already. It is a virus. It spreads. That's why there is seasonality in the regular flu, and they it's the same with corona virus. It's why the hospitalizations, deaths, etc. are trending downward as the weather gets better.

We are basically in agreement. People are doing those things already. It is a virus. It spreads. That's why there is seasonality in the regular flu, and they it's the same with corona virus. It's why the hospitalizations, deaths, etc. are trending downward as the weather gets better.
Not necessarily trending downward. Almost 500 new cases and 20+ deaths yesterday.

And when I drove past Pizza Ranch on my way back from getting curbside, it was packed. People just aren't acting responsibly. Gonna see another wave of infections, probably worse that March/April, sometime starting in June.

As I posted elsewhere, there are 76 deaths for ages 15-24, out of what??? 100,000 Much more dangerous to drive than that.
Exactly, 11 kids die each day from texting and driving and they haven't done much to stop that.

I will say, the COVID might have been what this country needed to get it's ass in shape and start being healthy - bikes are freaking everywhere!

Not necessarily trending downward. Almost 500 new cases and 20+ deaths yesterday.

And when I drove past Pizza Ranch on my way back from getting curbside, it was packed. People just aren't acting responsibly. Gonna see another wave of infections, probably worse that March/April, sometime starting in June.

"Packed"? I would think the owner is following state rules that does not allow "packing". They can only go to a certain capacity. And they can't have buffets or self serve soda deals.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT