ADVERTISEMENT

CPS Energy uses a college student for weather forecasting (texas).

alaskanseminole

HR Legend
Oct 20, 2002
So apparently, this is the latest scapegoat. I don't have a meteorology degree either and I knew it (the storm) was coming. What I didn't know was our infrastructure was not adequate. This isn't on a college kid.

If you have a kid who loves weather and is good with math and computers, meteorology is a solid gig. Every graduate in the country gets a job (unemployment is well under 1%) and median pay is around $100K.

If you have a kid who loves weather and is good with math and computers, meteorology is a solid gig. Every graduate in the country gets a job (unemployment is well under 1%) and median pay is around $100K.
We have two meteorologists in our FSU Booster Club here in SATX...it's a good gig...one was actually our local weekend weatherman.

My point was, not to chase after some poor college kid for CPS failures. Everyone with internet/news access knew it was going to be below freezing for a week. What we (the citizens) didn't know was we had a $hitty energy grid ill-equipped to handle the cold and we'd be sitting in our homes with no power.

We have two meteorologists in our FSU Booster Club here in SATX...it's a good gig...one was actually our local weekend weatherman.

My point was, not to chase after some poor college kid for CPS failures. Everyone with internet/news access knew it was going to be below freezing for a week. What we (the citizens) didn't know was we had a $hitty energy grid ill-equipped to handle the cold and we'd be sitting in our homes with no power.
Definitely not the kid's fault. I doubt he considered himself their sole source of weather information.

If I could go back, it might have been my major - weather and climate fascinate me. Course, back then the coding was done on cards and the computers filled rooms.

Reactions: alaskanseminole

The Fox morning guy is a FSU grad. We have a really good meteorology program.

• Love
Holy cow...that poor kid. I have a feeling that was his first/last broadcast.

No he actually broadcasted professionally for a little while.

Was looking it up and he was basically put in the worst possible situation.

It's the nightmare of any news anchor – a teleprompter malfunction. The person working the teleprompter was also new to the job and scrolled through the script at too fast of a pace for Collins to read.

He did have a copy of the script right in his hands, but the pages were out of order – a classic rookie mistake.

At the 22 second mark you hear Collins say "oh no," and the next three minutes would leave the college newsroom speechless. At one point, Collins even mouths the words "I'm so sorry."

Joe Thomas, the meteorologist of the same newscast, told Ball State Daily News that, "We all just kind of were stunned to be honest... No one really knew what to say. We all felt really bad for what happened."

Brian Collins thought he could just leave it behind and let time heal all wounds. Unfortunately for him, someone from the Newslink@9 show took the clip and uploaded it onto eBaum's World on April 1, 2005.

The video caught fire and became the most painful, but hilarious 3-minutes to spend on the Internet.

Just like Ghyslain Raza ("Star Wars Kid"), Brian Collins was upset that the video was being circulated around the web for the world to see. However, after speaking to several Ball State faculty members, Collins learned to move past the incident.

I mean I have to say kudos to him, he had one of the worst moments of his life broadcasted to the entire world and came out ok in the end.

No he actually broadcasted professionally for a little while.

Was looking it up and he was basically put in the worst possible situation.

It's the nightmare of any news anchor – a teleprompter malfunction. The person working the teleprompter was also new to the job and scrolled through the script at too fast of a pace for Collins to read.

He did have a copy of the script right in his hands, but the pages were out of order – a classic rookie mistake.

At the 22 second mark you hear Collins say "oh no," and the next three minutes would leave the college newsroom speechless. At one point, Collins even mouths the words "I'm so sorry."

Joe Thomas, the meteorologist of the same newscast, told Ball State Daily News that, "We all just kind of were stunned to be honest... No one really knew what to say. We all felt really bad for what happened."

Brian Collins thought he could just leave it behind and let time heal all wounds. Unfortunately for him, someone from the Newslink@9 show took the clip and uploaded it onto eBaum's World on April 1, 2005.

The video caught fire and became the most painful, but hilarious 3-minutes to spend on the Internet.

Just like Ghyslain Raza ("Star Wars Kid"), Brian Collins was upset that the video was being circulated around the web for the world to see. However, after speaking to several Ball State faculty members, Collins learned to move past the incident.

I mean I have to say kudos to him, he had one of the worst moments of his life broadcasted to the entire world and came out ok in the end.

Not only that, but he wasn't supposed to even be on. The sports guy got sick and he agreed to go on. So...guy who doesn't go on camera is thrown on unexpectedly...and then the teleprompter runs way too fast. Awful.

• Wow
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT