ADVERTISEMENT

Craigslist and eBay gripes

Feb 9, 2013
I know we’ve discussed before, but geez....

If you’re selling something either respond or take down the post. People want to give you money for your castoffs...let them!

And on eBay...why people price a used item in good condition at the same price I could get new on Amazon Baffles me. I, the buyer, am taking a risk buying used. You, the seller, should recognize that and price accordingly. Everybody thinks their stuff is worth big bucks.

I’ve used Craigslist and eBay 5-6 times in my life, and almost every time I’m reminded what a cluster**** it is and then I just order what I want new.

Yeah, I know, CSB.

Reactions: FSUTribe76

If you’re selling something either respond or take down the post. People want to give you money for your castoffs...let them!

And on eBay...why people price a used item in good condition at the same price I could get new on Amazon Baffles me. I, the buyer, am taking a risk buying used. You, the seller, should recognize that and price accordingly. Everybody thinks their stuff is worth big bucks.

I’ve used Craigslist and eBay 5-6 times in my life, and almost every time I’m reminded what a cluster**** it is and then I just order what I want new.

Yeah, I know, CSB.
what are you trying to buy ?

craigslist has more scam artists than real posters.

Reactions: UIHerk and GOHOX69

Yeah, I know, CSB.
I can find new items cheaper on eBay than amazon most times. Wouldn't buy higher end items from either though.

Nobody buys sells on cl anymore....

Reactions: GOHOX69
Craigslist selling:
"Is it still available?"
"Yes, it is still available"
-seller vanishes

Hey, will you take this on trade.
Yes.
-vanishes

Selling guitar for $300
"Would you take $60?"

Selling Fender guitar also open for instrument trades.
"Will you take a squier for your fender?"

If you are open to trades you better brace for a gaslighter that max values all of his stuff and minimum values all of yours.

Also, brace yourself for lonely boomers that just string you along to chat.

Then there are the people that try to negotiate during the transaction after you already did online. Although, everytime they have been like "how about etc price" I have been like "no how about what we agreed on" then they take the rest of the money out of their front pocket.

Don't even get me started on ebay buyers. Ebay essentially always side with buyers, so if one of them gets cold feet, and makes up a reason to return you have to accept even if no returns are accepted. Which is brutal when you sell guitars and shipping can reach $80 and have to pay it both ways.

Last edited:
I've bought and sold lots of stuff. Easy to spot scams. Always meet at a gas station or other public place with security cams, etc.

They recently changed something in their software. For a week or two now I have been unable to delete ads. I've only sold 1 thing, but I have to keep apologizing that it is sold.

I've had great success on eBay, Etsy, Reverb.com, and Craigslist. I've been on eBay for 22-23 years. Reverb has been a godsend because it focuses on musical instruments- which I specialize in and know best. Etsy allows me to sell my art and it's awesome. I use CL as mostly a source to buy items. I've only had problems on CL with people who refuse to post their mobile # and then the emails go to their spam folder and they don't respond. Other than that, they work like a charm for me. There have been a few snags over the years, but overall they're perfect. It was even easier and more awesome before the internet tax finally showed-up.

I've had great success on eBay, Etsy, Reverb.com, and Craigslist. I've been on eBay for 22-23 years. Reverb has been a godsend because it focuses on musical instruments- which I specialize in and know best. Etsy allows me to sell my art and it's awesome. I use CL as mostly a source to buy items. I've only had problems on CL with people who refuse to post their mobile # and then the emails go to their spam folder and they don't respond. Other than that, they work like a charm for me. There have been a few snags over the years, but overall they're perfect. It was even easier and more awesome before the internet tax finally showed-up.
If you resend an email do you think it’ll get caught again? I wonder if that’s what I’m encountering.

If you resend an email do you think it’ll get caught again? I wonder if that’s what I’m encountering.
Ive had a lot go to spam and one guy said he emailed me six times. I never got any, even in spam, junk, promos, etc.

I think if you put your own, original subject line it has a lot better chance of getting through.

Craigslist selling:
"Is it still available?"
"Yes, it is still available"
-seller vanishes

Thanks for adding this.

I tried recently to sell some new headers in Marketplace. Got asked this by at least 25 buyers and never sold them. They all vanished. Thought I was the worst salesman in the world. Finally pulled the add.

Well, that sums up the buyer gripes. Try selling on either to get some really interesting stories.
I've sold plenty of high end astronomy gear on ebay. Never had a single bad transaction now in 22 years. Good luck to all.

I bought a car on craigslist once. It was a good deal and good transaction, but I had to go through a handful of scammers first.

Selling guitar for $300
"Would you take $60?"

This annoys me. The last time I tried selling on cl, I put in my posting that the price was the lowest I was willing to accept. I still got the douche that would offer me 25% of what I was asking for, so I counter offered by raising my original price by $10. He told me I was baiting and switching. I responded that his offer was insulting and we can just agree to the price I originally posted as I would rather donate it or throw it away than sell it to him for the price he offered.

as far as eBay, I deleted my eBay account last time I tried buying something for $250. Item bought. Paid through PayPal and was giving a tracking number with an estimated delivery time of 2 weeks from the day I received the tracking. reviews were positive on the account.

There was no movement on the tracking. Meanwhile, the user changed his name and all of a sudden negative reviews starting filtering through of people not receiving their stuff. After 4 attempts to message the user with no response, I tried to file a claim with eBay. eBay had me wait until the estimated delivery time on the tracking to fill out a claim and then they gave the seller 5 days to respond. I told them they could look at my number inquiries to see they weren't going to get.a response. I waited the 5 days, finally got my money back and deleted my eBay account.

Reactions: Moral
I dunno for sure. It's just been my experience. Itdoesn't happen often. Usually people allow their mobile numbers to be revealed in the listing.
Thx. Yeah, he/she didn’t give a mobile number in the ad.
My original reply was basically “Hello, I’d like to purchase the X you have for sale. Can you please tell me a good number to call to arrange a time and place to meet. If easier you can call or text me at ————.”

I think that’s about as good a reply as a seller can hope for?

People who will only use email on CL need beaten with a sock full of spark plugs.

I use ebay a little bit but I almost always purchase new on there when I do. I don't shop amazon or craigslist ever. They are both equally scam artists that are ultimately bad for the consumer.

People who will only use email on CL need beaten with a sock full of spark plugs.
Ive had good luck with CL, but there is NO WAY Im putting my phone # out there. If I have had 2 or 3 good email exchanges and I determine they are local and legit, then maybe I will give out my phone #.

Thx. Yeah, he/she didn’t give a mobile number in the ad.
My original reply was basically “Hello, I’d like to purchase the X you have for sale. Can you please tell me a good number to call to arrange a time and place to meet. If easier you can call or text me at ————.”

I think that’s about as good a reply as a seller can hope for?
Oh, absolutely. That's professional and polite If someone is so paranoid about sharing their number, or convinced that a criminal is plotting to target them while try to sell a laptop or mountain bike, then take it to a pawn shop.

You have to be careful. I've bought my (4) Nikon used cameras on Ebay. But from dealers or sellers with high ratings. All units have been solid and dependable. Likewise with several lenses. Saved thousands and no regrets.

I haven't sold on Reverb yet. Do you prefer it over eBay? I do like the USPS discount on eBay and how easy making labels is. Is it similar on Reverb or no?

This annoys me. The last time I tried selling on cl, I put in my posting that the price was the lowest I was willing to accept. I still got the douche that would offer me 25% of what I was asking for, so I counter offered by raising my original price by $10. He told me I was baiting and switching. I responded that his offer was insulting and we can just agree to the price I originally posted as I would rather donate it or throw it away than sell it to him for the price he offered.

as far as eBay, I deleted my eBay account last time I tried buying something for $250. Item bought. Paid through PayPal and was giving a tracking number with an estimated delivery time of 2 weeks from the day I received the tracking. reviews were positive on the account.

There was no movement on the tracking. Meanwhile, the user changed his name and all of a sudden negative reviews starting filtering through of people not receiving their stuff. After 4 attempts to message the user with no response, I tried to file a claim with eBay. eBay had me wait until the estimated delivery time on the tracking to fill out a claim and then they gave the seller 5 days to respond. I told them they could look at my number inquiries to see they weren't going to get.a response. I waited the 5 days, finally got my money back and deleted my eBay account.

That happened to me once. Bought something for 300. Seller put on a tracking number, no movement, my seller actually answered when I asked him and said he already shipped it. It still wasnt moving. Seller relists same item, I call him out on it. Says he shipped mine. Had to get with eBay and it took over a week to close and get my money back. Which was annoying because it was very obvious what was going on. He also sold the repost so someone else got to deal with that fun.

Reactions: dirtypool
I use ebay a little bit but I almost always purchase new on there when I do. I don't shop amazon or craigslist ever. They are both equally scam artists that are ultimately bad for the consumer.

Amazon scam artists? Geez, that's a first. It is inevitable that major retail stores will go by the wayside, or at least be minimized as an unnecessary layer of cost the consumer must absorb.

Local brick and mortar will continue as convenience. But online retail such as Amazon is the future and benefits the consumer. It is a matter of restructuring the retail industry, the infrastructure, logistics and marketing. This reset is similar to what took place with the shopping mall industry in the 50s and 60s.

For audio guys, Audiogon, US Audio Mart and Canuck Audio Mart are good places to find quality audio equipment. I've been able to make several great deals on the Canuck site due to the dollar vs the "loonie".

I haven't sold on Reverb yet. Do you prefer it over eBay? I do like the USPS discount on eBay and how easy making labels is. Is it similar on Reverb or no?

That happened to me once. Bought something for 300. Seller put on a tracking number, no movement, my seller actually answered when I asked him and said he already shipped it. It still wasnt moving. Seller relists same item, I call him out on it. Says he shipped mine. Had to get with eBay and it took over a week to close and get my money back. Which was annoying because it was very obvious what was going on. He also sold the repost so someone else got to deal with that fun.
Reverb is the way to go, man! They even offer a shipping protection option that's second-to-none. If you purchase the shipping protection, and the guitar or bass or amp is damaged... they cover it. You keep your sale price, the buyer is reimbursed, and they handle the mess with whatever shipping service broke the item. You can decline that and just get a shipping discount, but it's definitely worth it for high-dollar items. Reverb is the best!

• Love
Reverb is the way to go, man! They even offer a shipping protection option that's second-to-none. If you purchase the shipping protection, and the guitar or bass or amp is damaged... they cover it. You keep your sale price, the buyer is reimbursed, and they handle the mess with whatever shipping service broke the item. You can decline that and just get a shipping discount, but it's definitely worth it for high-dollar items. Reverb is the best!

Awesome! I'm sold. I have been sitting on a few guitars that I have wanted to sell because I was worried about the potential for neck breaks that Gibson and other guitars with an angle on the headstock have.

I bought a guitar off reverb and didn’t get what the ad said (ad listed acoustic/electric and I received a straight acoustic). I didn’t care all that much but called Reverb anyway to ask if they could help. Reverb said contact the seller and if they didn’t fix it to call back. The seller was great - offered a return/refund at no charge or $50 off (took the latter). I felt like Reverb would’ve gotten involved if the seller hadn’t stepped up.

Using a credit card on PayPal is a must. The credit card company will side with the buyer if the buyer has a reasonable reason to want their money back.

Over the past 30 years I've used it successfully at least 4 times, all successfully. Each time I had precise reason for wanting my money back.

Amazon scam artists? Geez, that's a first. It is inevitable that major retail stores will go by the wayside, or at least be minimized as an unnecessary layer of cost the consumer must absorb.

Local brick and mortar will continue as convenience. But online retail such as Amazon is the future and benefits the consumer. It is a matter of restructuring the retail industry, the infrastructure, logistics and marketing. This reset is similar to what took place with the shopping mall industry in the 50s and 60s.
Amazon now allows the Chinese sellers (like the AliExpress kind). So sometimes your item will ha e the prime logo by it but it's set to arrive 4-6 weeks later. Also, they've figured out how to update pictures, descriptions and prices so if you're looking for an item it will have 4.5-5 stars but if you click in and read reviews they're for a different product entirely. It can't work for too long but since they take 4-6 weeks to deliver, they can take a lot of orders before anyone realizes they purchased cheap crap.

Awesome! I'm sold. I have been sitting on a few guitars that I have wanted to sell because I was worried about the potential for neck breaks that Gibson and other guitars with an angle on the headstock have.
I had some very suspicious stuff going on on eBay over the last year or so. It was really strange. I sold a Gibson Thunderbird bass, A Gibson Explorer guitar, and a Gibson Firebird guitar on eBay, all at different times during the last 12-18 months, okay? All three were problematic, but very similar, suspicious problems, with a common twist. The Thunderbird was sold to a buyer internationally, if my memory serves. It was the first one that was peculiar. I sent it to their international shipping hub in Kentucky. I was informed, by email, that it was undeliverable due to an unstated reason, I assumed it was maybe the package size (they are huge basses) or maybe an uncertainty due to the CITES regulations, which are now no longer enforced for musical instruments. I get to keep my sale price, they cover the loss... I guess. By coincidence, I happen to see THAT BASS for sale by another seller a few months later! That has me wondering! But, I'm not going to create waves due to the outcome. I sell a Firebird (that I did a specialized relic/aging process on, to make it look like a vintage 60s Firebird, it looked amazing and played great)... SAME THING happens! It sells internationally, they say they can't deliver it... AGAIN I see it for sale, this time by two different sellers!!! Last January, I sell an Explorer to a buyer in Michigan. I get a notice the day after I ship it notifying me of suspicious/unverified activity on the buyer's account. They ask if I have shipped it, which I had. That was a very alarming situation. I was allowed to keep the payment, however. Then, in April or May, the buyer emails me (which I hadn't heard from the buyer at ALL since the sale and payment in January) asking if I was ever going to ship the guitar! This is 3 months later! I just ignored it and never heard back.

Now, I've sold a few high-dollar guitars since on eBay, but those 3 Gibsons were VERY odd situations! As I think back now, I'm sorta surprised I still list my higher-priced guitars on there simultaneously as Reverb. But, there are eBay die-hards that don't like Reverb. But, seeing the guitar and bass that I sold being RESOLD was very odd! I guess they farm-it-out to recoup a loss.

I bought a guitar off reverb and didn’t get what the ad said (ad listed acoustic/electric and I received a straight acoustic). I didn’t care all that much but called Reverb anyway to ask if they could help. Reverb said contact the seller and if they didn’t fix it to call back. The seller was great - offered a return/refund at no charge or $50 off (took the latter). I felt like Reverb would’ve gotten involved if the seller hadn’t stepped up.
They would have!

I had some very suspicious stuff going on on eBay over the last year or so. It was really strange. I sold a Gibson Thunderbird bass, A Gibson Explorer guitar, and a Gibson Firebird guitar on eBay, all at different times during the last 12-18 months, okay? All three were problematic, but very similar, suspicious problems, with a common twist. The Thunderbird was sold to a buyer internationally, if my memory serves. It was the first one that was peculiar. I sent it to their international shipping hub in Kentucky. I was informed, by email, that it was undeliverable due to an unstated reason, I assumed it was maybe the package size (they are huge basses) or maybe an uncertainty due to the CITES regulations, which are now no longer enforced for musical instruments. I get to keep my sale price, they cover the loss... I guess. By coincidence, I happen to see THAT BASS for sale by another seller a few months later! That has me wondering! But, I'm not going to create waves due to the outcome. I sell a Firebird (that I did a specialized relic/aging process on, to make it look like a vintage 60s Firebird, it looked amazing and played great)... SAME THING happens! It sells internationally, they say they can't deliver it... AGAIN I see it for sale, this time by two different sellers!!! Last January, I sell an Explorer to a buyer in Michigan. I get a notice the day after I ship it notifying me of suspicious/unverified activity on the buyer's account. They ask if I have shipped it, which I had. That was a very alarming situation. I was allowed to keep the payment, however. Then, in April or May, the buyer emails me (which I hadn't heard from the buyer at ALL since the sale and payment in January) asking if I was ever going to ship the guitar! This is 3 months later! I just ignored it and never heard back.

Now, I've sold a few high-dollar guitars since on eBay, but those 3 Gibsons were VERY odd situations! As I think back now, I'm sorta surprised I still list my higher-priced guitars on there simultaneously as Reverb. But, there are eBay die-hards that don't like Reverb. But, seeing the guitar and bass that I sold being RESOLD was very odd! I guess they farm-it-out to recoup a loss.

That is odd. I have always just turned off my international shipping option on ebay. I just never trusted that long of a shipping process in general.

I recently got a epiphone thunderbird pro with case, came in a 60 x 8 x 20 box. Pretty massive.

That is odd. I have always just turned off my international shipping option on ebay. I just never trusted that long of a shipping process in general.

I recently got a epiphone thunderbird pro with case, came in a 60 x 8 x 20 box. Pretty massive.
And, then I see them for sale by other people!!! I was like "WTF are you people doing? Looking for deals and reselling them???"

I get a little anxious when shipping internationally, but I've had good luck. I have patient buyers and they're always more patient than I am! I guess they're used to it, perhaps.

Amazon now allows the Chinese sellers (like the AliExpress kind). So sometimes your item will ha e the prime logo by it but it's set to arrive 4-6 weeks later. Also, they've figured out how to update pictures, descriptions and prices so if you're looking for an item it will have 4.5-5 stars but if you click in and read reviews they're for a different product entirely. It can't work for too long but since they take 4-6 weeks to deliver, they can take a lot of orders before anyone realizes they purchased cheap crap.

I guess it depends on what you are buying. My wife and I purchase on Amazon all the time and don't think twice. Some name brand products and others. It sounds like the marketer is the issue.

I have purchased electronic products from China dealers I couldn't find on the U.S. market. Nervous to do it, but Ebay ensured protection, and I was able to have things I couldn't have otherwise. So, why not use the resource? It is not practical to allow bias limit availability.

I guess it depends on what you are buying. My wife and I purchase on Amazon all the time and don't think twice. Some name brand products and others. It sounds like the marketer is the issue.

I have purchased electronic products from China dealers I couldn't find on the U.S. market. Nervous to do it, but Ebay ensured protection, and I was able to have things I couldn't have otherwise. So, why not use the resource? It is not practical to allow bias limit availability.
Totally agree, I've bought a fair number of things from China, but the quality you traditionally get from Amazon is much better than what you get from AliExpress or those kinds of sellers (who almost all are in China). When they use tactics I describe though, that raises red flags... Those folks are almost without fail from China (you can see by looking), just a fact.

Totally agree, I've bought a fair number of things from China, but the quality you traditionally get from Amazon is much better than what you get from AliExpress or those kinds of sellers (who almost all are in China). When they use tactics I describe though, that raises red flags... Those folks are almost without fail from China (you can see by looking), just a fact.

I try to avoid purchasing from international firms. That import hurdle always seems there whether it's a hurdle or not. Like I posted, the item I bought was a specialty item, not expensive but kept unavailable to ensure repairs to camera lenses were performed by "certified dealers".

These certified dealers could not get these parts other than the branded lens company. No 3rd party parts company were producing this specific part, which was a front lens ring on a 150-600mm lens. The brand company required the lens to be shipped to them. The replacement ring was to cost $450, labor was $220, and shipping to and from Des Moines and California was $100. That was going to be $770.00. A replacement lens would have been a few hundred more.

I looked at alternatives and found the ring from a Chinese manufacturer for $40. So, I ordered it, after 20 minutes of my own labor, and a total of around $75, after shipping and taxes I have a repaired long lens that works perfectly. A long story, but it goes to show how companies gouge consumers, and how some footwork and ingenuity can save some bucks. Their intent was to incite the consumer to replace the lens. No way.

Last edited:
Today I got a really great eBay message. Guitar sold on the 13th and I shipped on the 13th. Worth noting the USPS is behind with Prime Day and ballots:

"After the 19th of October I will give you negative feedback if guitar doesn't get delivered and report you to my credit card"

I just sent back:

"Unfortunately, USPS seems to be slowed up currently. All of my shipments are running behind. Probably a combination of ballots and Amazon Prime Day slowing the system up. The guitar was sent with priority and shipped on the same day you bought it. Hopefully, it gets moving again and gets to you quickly."

Regards,

Moral

I'm about done selling.

I've been buying and selling a lot of stuff recently, including some fairly expensive electronics (TVs). Just came back from selling something today in fact. Been using Facebook Marketplace and the Offerup app as well as CL, and the best I can tell, CL is totally dead. Bought and sold a few things on both FB and Offerup, which generated no response on CL. It makes sense, because of just how anonymous and unmoderated CL is. With FB they at least have a profile, and Offerup rates buyers and shows you how long they've been on.

Honestly, I love buying stuff second hand and getting deals, and selling stuff, but CL was just so much hassle as to almost not be worth it. FB and Offerup have been very solid for me so far.

I'm an Ebay guy from way back in the beginning, done hundreds of transactions I'm sure, with almost all of them positive. But the shipping and fees are such a hassle, I use them now mainly for selling blu rays, or something that's too niche to be likely to find a buyer locally.

I did have a convo with someone selling something on FB though...was selling his item for $100, and had been listed for three months. The same item was $90 new at Microcenter, or $80 refurb online straight from the manufacturer. I offered him $75 for his used item, which seems reasonable for something that would be $90 new. I mentioned it to him in case he didn't realize, and he was like, "then you should buy that one because I'm trying to get $100."

Ok...well good luck with that. Who doesn't even google to make sure they're not holding out for more than the item costs brand new in store with warranty. Or don't care? The product was already a very niche electronics product, it's not like it was an iphone. Just to find someone that wanted to buy one like I was has to be rare enough...but then to hope that potential buyer is also too stupid to know what the item costs in the store? What's the point.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT