ADVERTISEMENT

Crazy how irrelevant Iowa State basketball has become

I really thought Iowa State had developed a "solid program" - something Iowa has been trying to achieve (and maybe they finally have). A place where a winning record is assumed, a regular entry into the Dance, flirting with conference championships or tourney championships every so often. You lose some guys, you get some new guys and keep it going.

I'm not trying to compare ISU to Duke or MSU, but maybe somebody like Purdue (who seems to never suck).

It's kind of surprising.

Reactions: Pepperman
Prohm was good with Hoiberg's guys the first 2 years. Freddy left him with a great junior class and had 1 year with Niang as a senior. Prohm has actually brought in talent but hasn't translated well onto the court. The one good year he had in the previous 3 he still under performed in my opinion with the talent he had on the roster 2 years ago. Went 9-9 in conference and knocked out in the first round of the tourney. Things aren't off to a great start either this year with a loss to South Dakota St. already. Basically Hoiberg built up the program and left in great shape and it has slowly been crumbling underneath him now with what looks to be 3 out of 4 years with no tourney.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
Too bad ISU missed out on TJ Fliegelflugelborgen (or whatever the UNLV coach's name is). I think at the very least he'd be keeping the program afloat. The ship is slowly sinking under Prohm's watch. Which is too bad - while ISU is not a traditional hoops powerhouse, it's a rock solid program and with the exception of the past couple of years, has been generally a lot more entertaining to watch than UI.

Lots of fun memories in the early 90s watching ole Doc Tom vs. Johnny Orr chess matches.

069 Moo U
169 IOWA

original.gif
They a football school now😊

I really thought Iowa State had developed a "solid program" - something Iowa has been trying to achieve (and maybe they finally have). A place where a winning record is assumed, a regular entry into the Dance, flirting with conference championships or tourney championships every so often. You lose some guys, you get some new guys and keep it going.

I'm not trying to compare ISU to Duke or MSU, but maybe somebody like Purdue (who seems to never suck).

It's kind of surprising.
Me too. It's a really nice surprise though :D

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
I don't think I've ever seen the basketball board so quiet the eve of the Iowa State/Iowa game. Their fans are conspicuously absent and there are no threads referencing the Ames or Story County police blotter.

Strange days.

Iowa State 68
Iowa 102
This is what happens when for years you restock your talent pool with very little but misfit transfers. At some point that pool dries up for a year or two, and your left with an empty cupboard. Frankly I'm surprised it took this long....

This is what happens when for years you restock your talent pool with very little but misfit transfers. At some point that pool dries up for a year or two, and your left with an empty cupboard. Frankly I'm surprised it took this long....

Actually Prohm is bad at recruiting transfers. That's the problem. When he misses on guys he can't get good transfer stopgaps.

When they had success with transfers, they were one of the few power conference teams doing it.

It is much more competitive now.

It's kind of surprising.

Let's win tonite before we start pleasuring each other,ok?
If we go cold or Luka gets in foul trouble, we could find ourselves in a dogfight.
This game truly will be ISU's Super Bowl.
Go Hawks!
Yep. They do play the games for a reason, and the outcome is unknown until that actually happens.

Iowa beat Nebraska in Football, so we know weird shit happens......... ;)

I don't think I've ever seen the basketball board so quiet the eve of the Iowa State/Iowa game. Their fans are conspicuously absent and there are no threads referencing the Ames or Story County police blotter.

Strange days.

Iowa State 68
Iowa 102

They think they’re a football school now! 😂

• Haha
Reactions: BlackNGoldBleeder
Let's win tonite before we start pleasuring each other,ok?
If we go cold or Luka gets in foul trouble, we could find ourselves in a dogfight.
This game truly will be ISU's Super Bowl.
Go Hawks!

Of course. Goes without saying. My point is normally a bastion of their fans are over here talking shit. Not so much now.

It's kind of odd, too, how much both programs changed trajectories after Foster's commitment. It's especially unique given how dejected Iowa fans were at the time. People were literally talking about Iowa heading back toward Lickliter level ineptness.

Of course. Goes without saying. My point is normally a bastion of their fans are over here talking shit. Not so much now.

It's kind of odd, too, how much both programs changed trajectories after Foster's commitment. It's especially unique given how dejected Iowa fans were at the time. People were literally talking about Iowa heading back toward Lickliter level ineptness.
Excuse me, but nothing whatever changed after Foster's commitment. Well, one player ISU hoped would contribute left the team for family reasons, went back to Florida. But everybody knew that Iowa was going to be loaded and ISU was going to be a collection of newbies. There was no optimism among any Cyclone fans that I know. A lot of criticism of the coach.

Excuse me, but nothing whatever changed after Foster's commitment. Well, one player ISU hoped would contribute left the team for family reasons, went back to Florida. But everybody knew that Iowa was going to be loaded and ISU was going to be a collection of newbies. There was no optimism among any Cyclone fans that I know. A lot of criticism of the coach.

Who went back to FL?

Malarkey.

Iowa State fans were here in droves thumping their chests about Foster and all their Top 100 recruits while poking fun at the Murray twins' schollies and other Iowa commits. After Iowa took Iowa State took to the woodshed in Ames, that talk certainly fizzled out, but don't pretend it wasn't there prior to that. I can't remember the precise timing, but the Foster commitment was right around the time of the DePaul loss. Iowa State fans very much were gloating, even on Fanatic.

Regardless, no one was expecting an Iowa W at Hilton, which included you.

Malarkey.

Iowa State fans were here in droves thumping their chests about Foster and all their Top 100 recruits while poking fun at the Murray twins' schollies and other Iowa commits. After Iowa took Iowa State took to the woodshed in Ames, that talk certainly fizzled out, but don't pretend it wasn't there prior to that. I can't remember the precise timing, but the Foster commitment was right around the time of the DePaul loss. Iowa State fans very much were gloating, even on Fanatic.

Foster committed to ISU the morning of the Iowa/DePaul game last season.

Malarkey.

This right here is spot on. Foster committed same day as DePaul game on 11/11. Isu fans rubbing Iowa’s nose in on losing him and the blowout loss. No one including Iowa fans knew that Garza was in store for a year he had or even guys like Fredrick, Connor or touissant would play as well as they did. Not 100% sure but I believe Iowa was the under dogs according to Vegas in Hilton last year.

This right here is spot on. Foster committed same day as DePaul game on 11/11. Isu fans rubbing Iowa’s nose in on losing him and the blowout loss. No one including Iowa fans knew that Garza was in store for a year he had or even guys like Fredrick, Connor or touissant would play as well as they did. Not 100% sure but I believe Iowa was the under dogs according to Vegas in Hilton last year.
I went on a week vacation to Mexico when that all happened. Couldn’t have been better timing. Losing Foster and getting housed by DePaul was a low point for Iowa basketball under Fran and there were a lot of grumblings on Frans future. Man things have changed in our program and world in such a short amount of time.

If they had Halliburton and had been able to work out as usual this year, we would be pretty excited about the season. A couple of big "ifs," but as a longtime ISU fan, I can attest that it's been a whole lot worse at times in the past.

And it's still early. Yes, Iowa will probably win by a bigger margin than ever before in the series, and that will smart. But after the Louisiana football game his year, a lot of fans wondered if the team would win more than a couple of games. The big difference is that Campbell's record provided reason for optimsm, and Prohm's doesn't.

LC - What is your thinking about the possibility that "The Mayor" would jump at the chance to swap Lincoln for Ames if it was offered to him now? Another year or two of the last year or two and Fred might look like the returning hero.

LC - What is your thinking about the possibility that "The Mayor" would jump at the chance to swap Lincoln for Ames if it was offered to him now? Another year or two of the last year or two and Fred might look like the returning hero.
Who was it who said you can't go home again? I think Fred would come back to ISU as AD, but not as basketball coach again. He would be compared to an idealized, exaggerated memory of his first time. Which ended, as most forget, with a first round NCAA loss to a double-directional school whose name escapes me at the moment.

He will win games at Lincoln.

Who was it who said you can't go home again? I think Fred would come back to ISU as AD, but not as basketball coach again. He would be compared to an idealized, exaggerated memory of his first time. Which ended, as most forget, with a first round NCAA loss to a double-directional school whose name escapes me at the moment.

I wouldn’t be so sure. Transfer market is a lot more competitive than when he was in Ames.

Reactions: iahawkeyes17

I can't for the life of me understand why Fred came back to the college game. It was no secret he hates recruiting. And with his bad ticker, I don't get it.

AD would be a good job for Fred or back to the NBA front office.

Pretty much the standard, normal situation is that ISU typically has one breakout season every decade in most of their sports programs. Johnny Orr and Hoiberg were the exception to that rule.

That pretty much explains the boasting when they do have a good year. MBB hasn't had much sustained success since Prohm arrived. In a non Covid year... he's on the hot seat, but most ADs don't have the $$$ to can guys under contract in the current scenario.

UAB?

Iowa St - haven't seen them play this year so dont really know a ton about them. I know they lost some of their better players. If they play defense they can make it a hard game for Iowa but probably an Iowa win by 10+

Pretty much the standard, normal situation is that ISU typically has one breakout season every decade in most of their sports programs. Johnny Orr and Hoiberg were the exception to that rule.

That pretty much explains the boasting when they do have a good year. MBB hasn't had much sustained success since Prohm arrived. In a non Covid year... he's on the hot seat, but most ADs don't have the $$$ to can guys under contract in the current scenario.
Orr coached ISU 14 years. ISU finished over .500 in conference play twice in those years. 6 NCAA appearances. Four times out in first round. Prohm has won as many NCAA tournament games as Orr.

• Wow
I wouldn’t be so sure. Transfer market is a lot more competitive than when he was in Ames.

this true. It’s like with chip Kelly and the spread hurry up offense. Ahead of his time first one doing it at Oregon. When he comes back to UCLA so many teams have implemented it and it’s no where effective as it was in his Oregon days. Same with hoiberg he utilized the regular and grad transfer market before most schools would rarely do more than 1 a year. Now schools are routinely doing it. As we’ve seen with Nebraska get transfer but not the high quality ones he got when he was at isu.

Reactions: EpenesaEpenesa
ADVERTISEMENT