ADVERTISEMENT

Crazy how irrelevant Iowa State basketball has become

Oh you just wait for the “regular season champions” shirts they will all be wearing in a few weeks 😂
If one is available, I'll buy it. The fact that the league plays a round-robin makes all the difference in the world. It is, in principle and in fact, exactly the same situation as basketball. Every team plays every other team during the season. Then there is post-season play instituted solely to make money and set up NCAA tournament selection.

I have never considered ISU's tournament titles to be league championships. Their most recent league championships were the two Tinsley teams.

I realize there is no trophy for having the best record in regular season play. In my house, ISU won the league this year.

this true. It’s like with chip Kelly and the spread hurry up offense. Ahead of his time first one doing it at Oregon. When he comes back to UCLA so many teams have implemented it and it’s no where effective as it was in his Oregon days. Same with hoiberg he utilized the regular and grad transfer market before most schools would rarely do more than 1 a year. Now schools are routinely doing it. As we’ve seen with Nebraska get transfer but not the high quality ones he got when he was at isu.
Fred got some really, really good transfers, but he also recruited some really, really good preps. Niang, Morris, Thomas, Ejim, Naz .... the list is long.

If one is available, I'll buy it. The fact that the league plays a round-robin makes all the difference in the world. It is, in principle and in fact, exactly the same situation as basketball. Every team plays every other team during the season. Then there is post-season play instituted solely to make money and set up NCAA tournament selection.

I have never considered ISU's tournament titles to be league championships. Their most recent league championships were the two Tinsley teams.

I realize there is no trophy for having the best record in regular season play. In my house, ISU won the league this year.

I sort of get it but let’s say in basketball the rule was the top two teams play for the championship... then you’d never have a 3-seed or worse winning the tournament.

Oh by the way I don’t even want to speculate on how many pages this thread will be if somehow ISU wins tonight!!!

I sort of get it but let’s say in basketball the rule was the top two teams play for the championship... then you’d never have a 3-seed or worse winning the tournament.
No, you wouldn't, but the regular season champion would still be the conference champion.

What's weird is that technically, officially, the tournament champion is the conference champion in every conference. The NCAA gives an automatic bid to the conference champion, leaving it up to the conferences to determine which team that is. The conferences designate the tourney winner to get the automatic bid.

But everybody knows the real champion is the one that had the best record in the regular season -- at least, in conferences that have a full round-robin.

Fred got some really, really good transfers, but he also recruited some really, really good preps. Niang, Morris, Thomas, Ejim, Naz .... the list is long.
Yea he did but he won because of those transfers, which was actually a brilliant strategy. What amazed me is that Prohm has continued that strategy. He's not as good at it as Hoiberg was.

I think Prohm's big problem has been that the 2019 class was basically a disaster. These are guys that would likely be sophs so you will have an entire class that will likely not be contributing to the program. He has also had a ton of busts. Conditt and to some extent Solomon Young lately. You combine that with guys leaving early and no surprise you that the program is in a tough way right now.

The question becomes how quickly can Prohm dig his way out and will Pollard give him the time needed?

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
I don't think I've ever seen the basketball board so quiet the eve of the Iowa State/Iowa game. Their fans are conspicuously absent and there are no threads referencing the Ames or Story County police blotter.

Strange days.

Iowa State 68
Iowa 102
I'd recommend how "Glorious" it is in your thread title over strange:)

• Haha
Reactions: BlackNGoldBleeder
Fred got some good players because it was quite well known that Fred was ok with players doing stuff at ISU that got them kicked out of other schools.

Reactions: BBHawk and M&Shawk
I'd recommend how "Glorious" it is in your thread title over strange:)

BonySaltyIndochinahogdeer-max-14mb.gif

Reactions: Chishawk1425
Yea he did but he won because of those transfers, which was actually a brilliant strategy. What amazed me is that Prohm has continued that strategy. He's not as good at it as Hoiberg was.

I think Prohm's big problem has been that the 2019 class was basically a disaster. These are guys that would likely be sophs so you will have an entire class that will likely not be contributing to the program. He has also had a ton of busts. Conditt and to some extent Solomon Young lately. You combine that with guys leaving early and no surprise you that the program is in a tough way right now.

The question becomes how quickly can Prohm dig his way out and will Pollard give him the time needed?
The ironic thing is that the guys leaving early aren't flunking out or transferring. They're going pro. In the old days, before early departures were permitted. Wigginton would be a senior on this year's team and both THT and Halliburton would be juniors.

I am guessing the folks in Ames are getting itchy to get their guy back from Nebraska.

Given the financial hit imposed by the virus, I don't believe the Clones can afford to release Prohm this season. Gonna be a bitter taste in the mouths of Clown fans if he goes winless in the conference and they may start passing the hat.

Given the financial hit imposed by the virus, I don't believe the Clones can afford to release Prohm this season. Gonna be a bitter taste in the mouths of Clown fans if he goes winless in the conference and they may start passing the hat.

This is the best part, they cannot afford to fire Prohm.

Campbell is going to need a raise and they will not be able to buy Prohm out and hire a new coach.

Their best cases scenario is Prohm pulls a McDermott and takes a different job.

and that is why clown fans and isu are laughed at. They celebrate a self-proclaimed championship.
Let me know when the conference recognizes the regular season championship and not the winner of the Big 12 Championship games as the Conference’s Champions.

This ISU basketball team does not play hard and appears completely disorganized. How can they keep Prohm around? They have individual talent, but it is poorly coached.

Reactions: HerkyFan

Campbell is going to need a raise and they will not be able to buy Prohm out and hire a new coach.

One can hope but that seems very unrealistic. Given his performance who is going to say we need to hire that guy away from ISU we will pay him more, the only way I see him leaving is he just can't handle the stress and takes a lower paying job somewhere. If it were me I'd keep making big dollars and stay until they canned me, as others have said not likely to happen this year. I mean he does seem like a decent guy, but he isn't getting the job done, given the success ISU was having before him it makes it hard to watch. Even though they didn't win all the time under Hoiberg they were fun to watch. As much as it nauseates me to say it LOL the Hawkeyes are fun to watch...

• Haha
Reactions: TrianglePlace

Campbell is taking a pay cut of about $1 million this year. His assistants are taking significant pay cuts. It puts Jamie in a bad spot. But unless there were a scandal of some kind, he wouldn't fire Prohm after this year, anyway.

Campbell is taking a pay cut of about $1 million this year. His assistants are taking significant pay cuts. It puts Jamie in a bad spot. But unless there were a scandal of some kind, he wouldn't fire Prohm after this year, anyway.

Of course he wouldnt with the lost revenue due to Covid.

But do you honestly think he wouldnt be fired after back to back 20 loss seasons if the AD didnt lose tens of millions in revenue?

Of course he wouldnt with the lost revenue due to Covid.

But do you honestly think he wouldnt be fired after back to back 20 loss seasons if the AD didnt lose tens of millions in revenue?
I wouldn't bet on it. Jamie has been reluctant to fire coaches he hired. But last year was pretty brutal, and this year is starting worse.

If it were just a question of not playing well, I'd think things might get better as the season progresses. But I don't like the way the team looks.

I largely stayed away from pissing on ISU’s grave after the tough week they just had. They have enough raw talent to scrape together a couple wins if they get their shots to fall. Some poster predicting they’ll go 0-18 was idiotic.

Having said that, WV looks pretty lousy tonight.

ISU’s shot selection has been pretty bad the last few mins.

W Virginia in fairness should be going to the post more to get fouled.

And now the block/charge call goes against ISU.

One can hope but that seems very unrealistic. Given his performance who is going to say we need to hire that guy away from ISU we will pay him more, the only way I see him leaving is he just can't handle the stress and takes a lower paying job somewhere. If it were me I'd keep making big dollars and stay until they canned me, as others have said not likely to happen this year. I mean he does seem like a decent guy, but he isn't getting the job done, given the success ISU was having before him it makes it hard to watch. Even though they didn't win all the time under Hoiberg they were fun to watch. As much as it nauseates me to say it LOL the Hawkeyes are fun to watch...

Don't worry, I say the same about Iowa St. football. I am actually glad Iowa St. is better because we have to play each other every year so this game will get more national publicity. The only negative is that eventually recruiting will be a battle. Your team is talented, well coached and hard working. I respect them.

Your basketball team is hot garbage right now.

Don't worry, I say the same about Iowa St. football. I am actually glad Iowa St. is better because we have to play each other every year so this game will get more national publicity. The only negative is that eventually recruiting will be a battle. Your team is talented, well coached and hard working. I respect them.

Your basketball team is hot garbage right now.

Big 12 basketball is garbage like Big 12 football. And the Clones still can't win.

Big 12 basketball is garbage like Big 12 football. And the Clones still can't win.

They could tomorrow. They could, and deserve to, win the conference. It isn't their fault they are good and the traditional powers aren't this year. I agree that the Big 12 is way down but it's not as bad as the Pac 12. It also doesn't take anything away from them for winning.

I would take Iowa winning a Big Ten title with Ohio St., Wisconsin and Penn St. down. Our problem is when one team goes down, the conference has a team that will surprise.

They could tomorrow. They could, and deserve to, win the conference. It isn't their fault they are good and the traditional powers aren't this year. I agree that the Big 12 is way down but it's not as bad as the Pac 12. It also doesn't take anything away from them for winning.

I would take Iowa winning a Big Ten title with Ohio St., Wisconsin and Penn St. down. Our problem is when one team goes down, the conference has a team that will surprise.

Iowa is 6-2 and hasn't lost to the Ragin Cagins.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT