ADVERTISEMENT

Crazy Point Guard idea just for fun

hooper56

HR Legend
Gold Member
Oct 1, 2001
I wonder if there is any chance at all that Fran redshirts Sapp (or even Mike) so that they can lead the team next season? This would give Williams or a committee the backup spot this year. Then in two years Conner comes in and takes the reigns. Is there a remote chance this could happen? Probably not unless there is an injury, but just thought I would throw it out there. I have NOT been drinking so no need to ask. Here I am already arguing with myself....

Reactions: CoachKirk
I wonder if there is any chance at all that Fran redshirts Sapp (or even Mike) so that they can lead the team next season? This would give Williams or a committee the backup spot this year. Then in two years Conner comes in and takes the reigns. Is there a remote chance this could happen? Probably not unless there is an injury, but just thought I would throw it out there. I have NOT been drinking so no need to ask. Here I am already arguing with myself....
No. One of the big strengths of the team this year is the depth at PG. For the future of recruiting, it's more important to make this year count.

I agree with CanadaHawk.

I also think it is worth being patient and seeing what kind of handles some of our new guys have. We probably won't see Williams after the exhibition games, of course.

Reactions: rillo 62
Interesting idea but won't happen for a variety of reasons (see also the "An argument why I wouldn't want Charlie Moore" thread). Fran already essentially dispelled this notion in recent comments where he effectively said that the final starting spot was between Clemmons and Uhl.

We need to get Williams as much game time experience as possible this year as it appears he's going to get significant PG minutes next year. Not only non-conference but also B1G games in the 1st half when the game is in doubt so he gets some experience in pressure situations and of course B1G game blow-outs.

I could see it happening with Sapp, but not with Mike. I think I read that Mike had graduated and was finishing up his final season of eligibility. Now, I know that Mike has not used a red shirt and could sit out a season, but it doesn't seem too logical that he would want to sit while he's waiting to start his life after school.

Sapp's situation is a little more intriguing and there is precedence within the Iowa program with this scenario. Brad Lohaus took a red shirt after his junior year (Raveling's last season if I recall correctly) and almost walked away from basketball. When he came back for his senior season under Tom Davis, Brad was a very rejuvenated player and impressed enough to end up in the NBA with a very nice career. I could see where Sapp could benefit with a late red shirt. I think the chances are slim at best, however.

Hasn't this already been discussed in another thread?

I could see it happening with Sapp, but not with Mike. I think I read that Mike had graduated and was finishing up his final season of eligibility. Now, I know that Mike has not used a red shirt and could sit out a season, but it doesn't seem too logical that he would want to sit while he's waiting to start his life after school.

Sapp's situation is a little more intriguing and there is precedence within the Iowa program with this scenario. Brad Lohaus took a red shirt after his junior year (Raveling's last season if I recall correctly) and almost walked away from basketball. When he came back for his senior season under Tom Davis, Brad was a very rejuvenated player and impressed enough to end up in the NBA with a very nice career. I could see where Sapp could benefit with a late red shirt. I think the chances are slim at best, however.
Too early to panic about Moore dissing Iowa. I think the coaches are counting on Sapp and Mike both being in the rotation, and that experience at PG is one of Iowa's biggest strengths entering the season. Besides, redshirting Sapp would make it even harder to recruit a PG. I think that there is almost no chance of either redshirting, unless one of them gets seriously injured early in the season (knocking on wood).

Not happening. Mid way through article he talks about either sapp or uhl in starting lineup. If Fran wants his best team next year can't afford to RS either. Even if he doesn't start need good quality depth off the bench.

http://www.thegazette.com/subject/s...newcomers-starting-lineups-and-depth-20150824

No chance and no way I'd want it to happen. Clemmons gave us some GREAT minutes down the stretch last year. He came off the bench a few different times while our opponent was putting together a run and he knocked down some big shots and disrupted things defensively. If he doesn't start this year he'll still get starter minutes. It'd be great to have both him and Mike together on the floor a lot against smaller teams.

How about this offensively against zone? Gesell/Clemmons trading 1/2. Jok/Uthoff at 3 (where Jok doesn't try to pass or dribble against the zone and instead he keeps moving and spotting up). Uthoff/Uhl work the baseline and Woody looks for assists from the high post when he's not trying to seal a guy in the low post for an entry pass off of a ball reversal.

Reactions: RocknRollface
I apologize profusely and beg for mercy from the HR court. God forbid we say the same thing twice. Again I apologize for wasting everyone's time. I realize how extremely busy you all are.

Now we both need an HR Lawyer. Do you know any good ones?

No such thing as a good lawyer

You'll disagree if/when you're in a position where you need legal counsel. Then it's the same thing as bitching about the mechanic. "I need to pay some greaseball a lot of a money to do something I can't do the right way."

I'm staying at the Holiday Inn tonight so by morning I can represent anyone as a lawyer tomorrow :).

I'm staying at the Holiday Inn tonight so by morning I can represent anyone as a lawyer tomorrow :).

Ok, I plead temporary insanity for getting ticked off at Charlie Moore....sort of. I want off on a technicality and then we counter-sue in a surprise reversal but don't say anything to give it away.

Definitely Dan, you will win the insanity plea. Especially with your latest BADGER topic posting, lol. For counter-sue, I will need you to pick up tomorrow night's Holiday Inn tab, they won't know what hit them. Like the Derrick Rose's recent attempt to be like Bill Cosby, ouch, too soon?!!!

Really bad idea.

Fran needs to go all in on this year. That's what's best for the program.

Next year will likely be a rebuilding type year with or without Clemmons.

Reactions: BuckRussel
Definitely Dan, you will win the insanity plea. Especially with your latest BADGER topic posting, lol. For counter-sue, I will need you to pick up tomorrow night's Holiday Inn tab, they won't know what hit them. Like the Derrick Rose's recent attempt to be like Bill Cosby, ouch, too soon?!!!

BadgerbadgerbadgerbadgerbadgerbadgerbadgerbadgerMUSHROOMMUSHROOM

ADVERTISEMENT