ADVERTISEMENT

Creative Outlets

jellyfish10

HR Legend
Aug 10, 2009
Anyone on the board use art as a creative outlet? I enjoy drawing, not a picture necessarily, but a feeling or mood. I draw on my calendar, in my journal or sketch book, make cards for family/friends, or just random tripped out sketches. I’m currently working on, well, I really don’t know what you would call it. I took a wooden hoop about the size of a basketball that I am turning into a Rasta man. I took all kinds of old clothes, seat covers, a shirt I found in a lake, ripped them and tied them for hair. I used the butt of an old pair of hemp pants that I used for the face and eyes. I am tying beads into the hair currently, using wooden Chilula lids which I drilled holes through and using hemp rope to bring it together. I am not talented at all but I do enjoy the experience and seeing where it will go.

Does anyone else use art as a form of expression? If so, what medium or types of art do you enjoy?

Reactions: Scott559 and Torg
yes. I draw. paint. I want to start sculpting clay figures. I like drawing crude almost stick figure comics. I give them to friends and family at birthdays, holidays, and such. Just comics of funny things we have done together.

yes. I draw. paint. I want to start sculpting clay figures. I like drawing crude almost stick figure comics. I give them to friends and family at birthdays, holidays, and such. Just comics of funny things we have done together.
I like to paint as well but not in the traditional sense. I had some old, shitty blonde wood end tables and a high top bar stool that I did abstract painting on. Just bizarre, hippie shit with bright colors that I put my house plants on. Looking forward to find some new painting subjects.

A few years ago my wife (no pics) found a painted rock and got my into doing that. I like to find positive quotes to write on the back but I'm not creative enough to come up with pictures on my own but I can freehand good from an existing image, so I tend to find images online and paint those on a rock and just set them out for people to find.

I was bored last night and tried a drawing that came to mind from a John Muir quote. So maybe I'm developing a creative side.

I was talking with the owner of a local coffee shop who went to art school and sells his paintings on the side who told me the only difference between professional artists and people like you and me is ego. Maybe he's right.

I like to paint as well but not in the traditional sense. I had some old, shitty blonde wood end tables and a high top bar stool that I did abstract painting on. Just bizarre, hippie shit with bright colors that I put my house plants on. Looking forward to find some new painting subjects.
that's great. my art is pretty abstract as well. I can draw really well, but it doesnt come easy. it can be frustrating and take a lot of concentration. The art I like now I just do without trying to make it perfect. It's much more therapeutic.

Everyone in my life thought I would be an artist and some were disappointed when I didn't pursue it professionally. But it got to be tiresome trying to make it perfect.

A few years ago my wife (no pics) found a painted rock and got my into doing that. I like to find positive quotes to write on the back but I'm not creative enough to come up with pictures on my own but I can freehand good from an existing image, so I tend to find images online and paint those on a rock and just set them out for people to find.

I was bored last night and tried a drawing that came to mind from a John Muir quote. So maybe I'm developing a creative side.

I was talking with the owner of a local coffee shop who went to art school and sells his paintings on the side who told me the only difference between professional artists and people like you and me is ego. Maybe he's right.
That’s gnarly dude. I really enjoy stacking rocks or making rock cairns. The resident squirrels get a real chuckle watching me spend hours out in the sun to create the perfect cairn, only to play on them and tip the fvckers over.

Regarding you last paragraph, I went to an amateur art show years ago. Much of it was abstract painting, and I was blown away by the prices affixed to the paintings. Hey man, I like to get stoned and play with paint too, but I’m not asking someone to pay a couple grand bc I ate shrooms and fvcked around with some paint! Regardless I do love doing it.

Thought this thread was going to be about a "progressive" competitor taking on Hobby Lobby....

Leaving disappointed.

funny-electrical-outlet-327x512.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT