ADVERTISEMENT

Credit should go to the Richmond coach for his game plan.

Hawk68

HR MVP
Oct 1, 2001
For at least the first ten minutes of the game, whenever the Spiders took a shot, they made no attempt for an offensive rebound. They headed directly down court forcing Iowa to play a half-court game. The coach knew Iowa built-up large scores in their transition game, and he stopped it. Iowa took too many wild shots and looked like they had very few set plays. Richmond, on the hand, exposed Iowa's weak D by using cutters for many easy lay-ups. Iowa had the better players while Richmond had the better game plan.

Forcing Iowa to miss wide open shots and to forget that they had a first team all American posted up for long stretches of the game? Kudos to you, Richmond coach for your mental telepathy.
I'll give Richmond credit for having a game plan and sticking to it, but if Iowa played and shot at all like they did the last month and a half, they would've won by a comfortable margin regardless.

Whether it was coaching or execution, it all seemed off and no one steadied the ship. The senior guards were nonexistent and provided little leadership, and no one took over the game or acted emboldened by the coaching staff to do so. A lot of wasted potential.

I'll give Richmond credit for having a game plan and sticking to it, but if Iowa played and shot at all like they did the last month and a half, they would've won by a comfortable margin regardless.

Whether it was coaching or execution, it all seemed off and no one steadied the ship. The senior guards were nonexistent and provided little leadership, and no one took over the game or acted emboldened by the coaching staff to do so. A lot of wasted potential.
Playing JBo 33 minutes in a game against athletic guards was a big part of the debacle...

• Love
Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
Playing JBo 33 minutes in a game against athletic guards was a big part of the debacle...
I never, and will never, quite understand why JBo played so many minutes. In this game or his career.

My only thought is Fran was willing to ride or die with JBo and Connor this year thinking they would come through when it mattered most... and it didn't happen. It didn't happen last year in the tournament against Oregon either so I don't understand his logic this time around.

Reactions: TJFant
I love watching Princeton cutters. The back door cut is a thing of beauty when ran well. They got about 5 easy buckets from it. You have to appreciate their PG; he was fantastic. The Fulton kid was a menace and was getting into our guys’ heads. That’s why Joe T ran him over and got the offensive foul call. We looked tired and tight all game. The bottom line is we didn’t deserve to win. They missed a ton of bunnies in the first half. We were lucky to be down by just one at halftime.

Reactions: whampas
For at least the first ten minutes of the game, whenever the Spiders took a shot, they made no attempt for an offensive rebound. They headed directly down court forcing Iowa to play a half-court game. The coach knew Iowa built-up large scores in their transition game, and he stopped it. Iowa took too many wild shots and looked like they had very few set plays. Richmond, on the hand, exposed Iowa's weak D by using cutters for many easy lay-ups. Iowa had the better players while Richmond had the better game plan.
And what plan did the Dean of Dumb have to combat the other HC making 10x less money???

Agree with everything except the better players point. Iowa had the best player, but after that the talent levels seemed pretty even.

Agree with everything except the better players point. Iowa had the best player, but after that the talent levels seemed pretty even.

Iowa played the season without a post player. Rebraca--Big heart,good effort.... but too short, moderate athlete, zero offensive game, not a rim protector, so-so rebounder. .JBO can score, if he is left open....but pretty easy to take his offense completely away because he is 1-dimensional player, small, slow vs any other pg in ncaa.

Keegan carried this team and when he had an 8-15 game which for normal humans is a good game, it wasn't enough.

In the end, the team had too many flaws, got exposed by team that played smarter and played with more effort. The poor shooting affected everyone's confidence. PMAC did make some shots...his defense was not very good.

I never, and will never, quite understand why JBo played so many minutes. In this game or his career.

My only thought is Fran was willing to ride or die with JBo and Connor this year thinking they would come through when it mattered most... and it didn't happen. It didn't happen last year in the tournament against Oregon either so I don't understand his logic this time around.
Pretty much every team at the dance has a good all around point guard to run the show. Teams that have one trick ponies normally don't fare too well. The difference in PG play yesterday was easily 15 points----hard for the rest of the team to make up.

For me, this was the first time that it was so painfully obvious to even me that JBo has super-slow footspeed. The Richmond players ran around him like he was a statue. They also closely guarded him all the way out to half court so he didn't get very many uncontested opportunities. It is just one reason why the Hawks lost, but for a team that was picked to finish 9th or 10th in the B1G, they accomplished a lot and gave great entertainment along the way. JBo gave Hawk fans a lot of good memories over the years and some spirit-boosting wins. That's the way I choose to remember him.

Reactions: Hawk68
ADVERTISEMENT