ADVERTISEMENT

Critics hammered us for hiring a politician to lead Florida State University. They were wrong

NoleATL

HB Legend
Gold Member
Jul 11, 2007
I figured this would be of great interest to all HROTers during this Thanksgiving season...

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/opinio...607U2hKXuh_sqJD5Tz7ZIWmgsAH_19InWetKCpj6r_s8o

As we approach the Thanksgiving holiday, it is also time to thank John Thrasher for his five years as President of Florida State University. He, along with his administrative team, have been able to accomplish so much for FSU.

As a member of the Board of Trustees when he was hired, we, as a board, got plenty of criticism for hiring a politician and not an academic, even though, during his time in both the Florida House of Representatives and the Florida Senate, President Thrasher championed higher education, including the establishment of the Florida State University Medical School. Upon taking the helm as President, his first order of business was to earn the respect of the faculty by working closely with them and listening to their academic advice.

The Board of Trustees had adopted what many considered a “Quixotic” goal of making FSU among the nation’s Top 25 public universities. It was then ranked 46th. Today, it’s ranked 18th, according to the latest report on public universities from U.S. News & World Report.

The process for advancing is very difficult. We, as a board, set out to reach our goal by focusing on the following metrics: greatly improving the GPA and test scores of our incoming students, improving the faculty to student ratios and size of classes, which can be very costly, and enhancing the reputation among peers, improving the retention of your students by not letting them flunk out, increasing the graduation rate and increasing the alumni giving.

With funding support from the Florida Legislature, leadership from former Gov. Rick Scott and current Gov. Ron DeSantis, and the encouragement of the State University System of Florida Board of Governors, FSU accomplished its goal this year.

Most importantly, with the help of our faculty, our students have the best graduation rate among public universities in Florida and ninth overall in the U.S.

FSU is among the top two most efficient universities in the nation and a Kiplinger’s Best Buy in higher education.

Under President Thrasher’s leadership, along with hard work and generosity of many others, The FSU Capital Campaign exceeded its $1 billion goal, including the record-setting $100 million donation from the family of South Florida entrepreneur Jim Moran, to establish the Jim Moran School of Entrepreneurship.

FSU is also widely recognized by its diversity, friendly and beautiful campus. Athletics finished #7 in the Director’s Cup Standings, led by the National Championship in Women’s Soccer, a Baseball College World Series appearance with Coach Mike Martin retiring with more wins than any coach in any sport in NCAA history, and the Sweet Sixteen in men’s basketball.

Economic vitality is crucial for Florida’s future, with the educational system being the most critical component. For the last few years, U.S. News & World Report has ranked the State University System of Florida as the very best.

Again, during this Thanksgiving season the citizens, taxpayers and leaders of Florida merit a big thank you, along with the FSU students, faculty, staff, volunteers, donors, and administrators led by President Thrasher.

Good for them, I hadn't heard about much of that. Certainly sounds like it's working better than UI, when the Board of Regents hired our current president, who had zero experience working with or championing education at all.
Its been quite the story. I was skeptical when they hired the "politician"... little did I know... Here's what they implemented to increase graduation rates so drastically:

McRorie said the university has embraced six standards, or pillars, it uses toward student success:
  • Every student is placed with a “success team” which includes academic, career and College Life counselors and peer mentors.
  • Expansion of Learning Communities targeting students beginning in their first year.
  • A redesign of curriculum that challenges students to work together in and out of the classroom. The hiring of 125 new faculty last year also has helped lead to no more than 20 students in over half of classes offered.
  • Engaging students in internships, study-abroad opportunities, and undergraduate research
  • Expanding recreation, counseling a wellness programs

Is hiring a politician to be president abnormal for large universities? Purdue made Mitch Daniels their president several years ago.

I can't rate his leadership as I'm not part of the Purdue community. But I thought it was relatively normal.

Reactions: goldmom
Is hiring a politician to be president abnormal for large universities? Purdue made Mitch Daniels their president several years ago.

I can't rate his leadership as I'm not part of the Purdue community. But I thought it was relatively normal.

It's not unheard of, but the majority of university presidents are people who began as academics at a university and moved into academic administration and worked their ways up the administrative ladders by moving between a number of different universities.

While not common, other states have hired politicians as well. Janet Napolitano at UC/ Berkeley is another example. Oklahoma hired former U.S. Senator David Boren.

While not common, other states have hired politicians as well. Janet Napolitano at UC/ Berkeley is another example. Oklahoma hired former U.S. Senator David Boren.

And this lovely lady in South Florida:

4d9132cfd4ee99bb1f6818f9e537f42c.jpeg

Not a public University

William and Mary does it the smart way, we have a Chancellor who is basically a part-time figurehead who does all of the capital financing campaigns, important political campaigns etc... And then we have a President who handles the day to day operation of the university. Which is why the last five Chancellors at Bill and Mary are Robert Gates, Sandra Day O’Connor, Henry Kissinger, Margaret Thatcher and Warren Burger and the Presidents are no one you have ever heard of.

Reactions: NoleATL
Quick, riddle me this. Which political party is John Thrasher affiliated with?

Thrasher has accomplished more than I thought he would. At the time, I was highly critical of hiring a politician and not an academic but it has worked out fairly well.

Reactions: NoleATL
You said taint.
So yesterday it's fücking cold, need a break from the office, I want coffee but something sweet, too. So I go get a mocha at one of the local coffee shops.

Cute lesbian barista girl gives me this. I tell her if I didn't know her I would think she might be propositioning me… I get a good laugh from her and then, "leave, pervert."

coffee-1.jpg

I decide to drink from the taint…

coffee-2.jpg

With every sip it gets bigger.

coffee-3.jpg

/csb

Thrasher has accomplished more than I thought he would. At the time, I was highly critical of hiring a politician and not an academic but it has worked out fairly well.
A politician at least understands people......and can probably find things in common to accomplish...........
Iowa went outside of the academic field as it was the Governor's last chance to say "Eff You" to the UIowa and its faculty. Now he is in China guiding my President's tariff/trade war against Red China.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT