ADVERTISEMENT

Cuba Advice?

Brian_Fantana

HB All-American
Feb 9, 2006
Wife, probably a pic somewhere on here, and I decided to take a week long trip to Cuba to check it out the first week of November. She is doing plenty of research on things to do; but seems folks on here have been everywhere and i have appreciated some advice on Hawaii, London and Paris in the past, so thought I’d check in to see if anyone has been since they opened up to easier access to Americans.

We are staying in an Airbnb in Havana overlooking the bay; but will have to travel outside the city for decent beaches. The Airbnb host will plan “day trips” to a beach; but they appear to be anywhere from 45 min to 2 hours away, so curious if anyone has an opinion on best option on that. Wife will want one or 2 days of beach, so may check out a couple, especially if one is close to sleepy little beach town.

The Airbnb is also giving us a hotspot to use for internet while in the place and out and about and it sounds like we should download a VPN for that. I don't know shit about technology, so can anyone explain that in layman’s terms? We don’t really care about not having the internet; but I will have some work to do and don’t want my CPU/Phone to get hacked.

I think a week is plenty; but I’m sure there is a lot to see and do. Anyone that have been, any recommendations?

Going to a communist country is not on my bucket list.
Hah. Fair enough. Admittedly it was very random idea. I have to be in Miami for a conference a few days before at the Fontainebleau and the wife is coming down to hang at the pool (yes, she’d probably just rather stay there for a week; but I can’t stand the crowd that stays there). We had always planned to do a trip the week after that; and randomly decided to take a puddle jumper over to Cuba to check it out. It may suck, but figured, why not. We tend to stick to “popular” vacation spots, so will be interesting to try something different.

The people and culture are amazing there, and you’ll have a great time! Credit cards won’t work so bring cash. I’ve only spent a few days in Havana so can’t help a ton, as I go there to fly fish in northeast part. Famous bar Hemingway frequented and a 4-5 story hotel with a rooftop bar/restaurant were highlights for me as well as just walking around. If you like cigars get them from the stores that only sell stuff from main factory they are by far the best

Hah. Fair enough. Admittedly it was very random idea. I have to be in Miami for a conference a few days before at the Fontainebleau and the wife is coming down to hang at the pool (yes, she’d probably just rather stay there for a week; but I can’t stand the crowd that stays there). We had always planned to do a trip the week after that; and randomly decided to take a puddle jumper over to Cuba to check it out. It may suck, but figured, why not. We tend to stick to “popular” vacation spots, so will be interesting to try something different.
Just extend your stay at the Fountainbleu an extra few days. One of my favorite hotels in the world. I honestly wouldn't be going to Cuba while Russia is a pariah country. I wouldn't feel comfortable that Cuba is not going to make me a political prisoner at tye direction of Russia.

Wife, probably a pic somewhere on here, and I decided to take a week long trip to Cuba to check it out the first week of November. She is doing plenty of research on things to do; but seems folks on here have been everywhere and i have appreciated some advice on Hawaii, London and Paris in the past, so thought I’d check in to see if anyone has been since they opened up to easier access to Americans.

We are staying in an Airbnb in Havana overlooking the bay; but will have to travel outside the city for decent beaches. The Airbnb host will plan “day trips” to a beach; but they appear to be anywhere from 45 min to 2 hours away, so curious if anyone has an opinion on best option on that. Wife will want one or 2 days of beach, so may check out a couple, especially if one is close to sleepy little beach town.

The Airbnb is also giving us a hotspot to use for internet while in the place and out and about and it sounds like we should download a VPN for that. I don't know shit about technology, so can anyone explain that in layman’s terms? We don’t really care about not having the internet; but I will have some work to do and don’t want my CPU/Phone to get hacked.

I think a week is plenty; but I’m sure there is a lot to see and do. Anyone that have been, any recommendations?
Bring cash (lots of singles & 5’s). Plan for zero internet upon landing and have all logistics and access info/directions for your AirBnB saved to your phone for offline use and/or hardcopies. Get some power converters as well to charge your stuff. Then drink some rum, smoke a cigar, and take your wife to el Ciudad de la Pound!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT