ADVERTISEMENT

Culture Change was Directed to the entire state of Iowa....

There is nothing wrong with the culture in Iowa. It is never going to be an inner city urban culture and it is idiotic to think it will be.

Nothing is going to change. Politicians, coaches, players etc are going to give lip service to this. What I want to know why didn't Jerry Nadler kneel with the rest of his buddies?

You have not confessed your White Privilege and thrown yourself prostate at the altar of BLM. Some self flagellation thrown in may help as well.

Except I believe in white privilege. And think Black Live Matter. I just want to know the extent of being equal. What is needed to justify the change.

When I worked in the inner city, I was told by black and white colleagues that I was too laid back and talked funny as I was the one that was from the smaller town Iowa. I tried to build relationships and was told that is not a good idea, I would ask questions and push kids when coaching and when I asked for help the black coaches would step in and say the same things and the kids would listen to them...... I changed in that sense to try for more understanding. But it has to start going both ways. I could reach some but not others. I think that also is taught in the home. There is a resentment from athletes that have no fathers when a male figure tries to be authoritative in their coaching.

I respect the process of all of this, but why is the change being demanded for one way and if we ask why we cannot come together and talk more we are then labeled racist? Take the DJK stuff. He would view the rules as an insult? why? He thought he could be the man and center of attention. Why? It is because he was taught that way and brought up that way to an extent.

I am well centered on this topic and know that I can always learn and do things differently. But at the same time. How much more do I need to change me to fit in with the crowd? I have expectations, much like KF that things need to be a certain way in all walks of my life. I am excepting of other cultures and respect them. I also work along side of many different ethnicities.

How is wondering why it is ok for some African American athletes to be treated one way but not others a bad thought? That is why KF is opening the dialog. Because we just want to understand why. That being said, it is fair for KF to compromise and be willing to change but he should not have to change his philosophy altogether to appease the masses.
Do you notice how there is an assumption that black players don’t have a strong family, work ethic or drive? These men, and they are adults, made it to a top program. It’s foolish to assume they are lazy or undirected.

I suggest people start treating them like adults. All this paternalistic talk about needing to mold their character needs to die. Coaches are there to teach the game, not life. If a player doesn’t do what is required to play the game, then they are released and the program recruits another. The program needs to act more professionally in my opinion.

Do you notice how there is an assumption that black players don’t have a strong family, work ethic or drive? These men, and they are adults, made it to a top program. It’s foolish to assume they are lazy or undirected.

I suggest people start treating them like adults. All this paternalistic talk about needing to mold their character needs to die. Coaches are there to teach the game, not life. If a player doesn’t do what is required to play the game, then they are released and the program recruits another. The program needs to act more professionally in my opinion.

I have had the same issue with all races pertaining to no father or lack of father figure in the home, and coaching is all about molding. You think Andy Reid isn't a father figure to his team? Look into that a little more.

Treatment like an adult is what most players have a hard time with. Have you ever coached in an inner city and rural setting?

I have had the same issue with all races pertaining to no father or lack of father figure in the home, and coaching is all about molding. You think Andy Reid isn't a father figure to his team? Look into that a little more.
I don’t think coaches should be father figuring. I think that’s a problem.

Why? All coaches are like that in a sense. They promise to take care of college aged kids to their parents every single year.
Not all. I had several coaches that were just about teaching the game. No yelling, no breaking people down and building them back up like they are in the military. No trying to control the lives of the players off the field. There are other ways to coach.

Reactions: millah_22
Not all. I had several coaches that were just about teaching the game. No yelling, no breaking people down and building them back up like they are in the military. No trying to control the lives of the players off the field. There are other ways to coach.

That isn't a father figure mentality you listed, but simple code of conduct stuff. Military is style not father figure. Do you have a relationship with said coaches after you leave the program?

Reactions: hawkosx
This, I view BLM sort of like a toddler jumping up and down screaming that he does not want to go to bed. You can demand respect all you want, you have to earn it for it to be real. Change needs to come from both sides. Black folks need to take a long hard look in the mirror about what is wrong with their culture before they try to force it on everyone.
Very good point and then they can start with pulling their dam pants up above their asses. If they want changes then they have some changes to do on their part as well. No person should have to walk around and fear for their lives but to some degree it is their actions that bring it on themselves. Our ignorance is right up there too.

Reactions: hawkosx
Were you good at Tee-Ball?

Reactions: naturalmwa
Nothing is going to change. Politicians, coaches, players etc are going to give lip service to this. What I want to know why didn't Jerry Nadler kneel with the rest of his buddies?
He stood so he could get a better view of Nancy’s a##!

List the positive things about Black Culture.

Why would anyone do that? You'd simply pick each one apart with opposite examples and feel superior. Same as could be done with white culture, Asian culture, Latino culture. All these cultures have more similarities, hopes, and fears than they have differences. I'm sure you would disagree.

Reactions: millah_22
Family is the center point of it
Music has influenced a new style of country and rock music
Dance
Clothing
Athletics
Religion
Art

Do you think it is all bad?
So we all have that to varying degrees. Well White people cannot dance, but no one says they do not impact these areas and that their contribution can be positive.

Now, what are the negatives of Black Culture that hold them back?

Why would anyone do that? You'd simply pick each one apart with opposite examples and feel superior. Same as could be done with white culture, Asian culture, Latino culture. All these cultures have more similarities, hopes, and fears than they have differences. I'm sure you would disagree.

Unfortunately, the big things with White culture are career driven. I have seen studies on it.

So we all have that to varying degrees. Well White people cannot dance, but no one says they do not impact these areas and that their contribution can be positive.

That is a whole different can of worms. opportunity to excel is basically find a scholarship or just remain status quo. Why is that different for the white culture? if you do not get a scholarship how can you make it to college or a different career path? They are caught up in a cycle that needs to be changed.

Can you name a positive of black culture?

Reading this thread makes me seriously wonder how Iowa can be so highly ranked as a place to live. The ignorance and willingness to double down is astonishing. Our entire state would be better off taking a deep breath and finding a way to be more willing to learn from others and make changes. Denying there are any racial issues is a huge part of white culture that we should all be seeking to change.

Reading this thread makes me seriously wonder how Iowa can be so highly ranked as a place to live. The ignorance and willingness to double down is astonishing. Our entire state would be better off taking a deep breath and finding a way to be more willing to learn from others and make changes. Denying there are any racial issues is a huge part of white culture that we should all be seeking to change.

Agreed, but there needs to be common ground. Why do some black people like it and some do not? Just like why do some people hate country folks and prefer the city life? I seriously want to know that answer. I have experienced both here. I have a heavy opinion that white people that do not experience different races have not business telling anyone what to do one way or the other.

Reactions: citizenHawk
Ha. Just saw Colt Ford at the driving range last week. Think he was in town visiting.

Doesn't look like a golfer! Thought he'd be a typical hack, but wasn't much concerned either. Then I start hearing repeatedly a nice heavy hit and WOOSH. A conversation had begun between he and the guy between us. CF is dropping names and fabulous golf courses every other sentence, but not boastfully of course.

That's when I put his name to his face. In another life, he had played on the, then, Ben Hogan Tour. Guess he had a good backup plan.

Seemed quite nice and very genuine.

That is a whole different can of worms. opportunity to excel is basically find a scholarship or just remain status quo. Why is that different for the white culture? if you do not get a scholarship how can you make it to college or a different career path? They are caught up in a cycle that needs to be changed.
60% of black girls are sexually abused prior to age 15, Culture of Silence perpetuates this and is one of the biggest things that needs to be changed in order for blacks to move forward. Addiction to drugs and alcohol increase as a result. Also, molestation survivors tend to have less self-esteem and are more promiscuous, which leads to children being born out of wedlock. But I am an asshole for pointing this out. Respect your daughters, respect your women. If the BLM people would put as much effort into fixing this one point as they are making themselves out to be victims, they might actually fix something.

https://www.apa.org/pi/about/newsletter/2014/11/child-sexual-abuse

Last edited:
60% of black girls are sexually abused prior to age 15, Culture of Silence perpetuates this and is not one of the biggest things that needs to be changed in order for blacks to move forward. Addiction to drugs and alcohol increase as a result. Also, molestation survivors tend to have less self-esteem and are more promiscuous, which leads to children being born out of wedlock. But I am an asshole for pointing this out. If the BLM people would put as much effort into fixing this one point as they are making themselves out to be victims, they might actually fix something.

https://www.apa.org/pi/about/newsletter/2014/11/child-sexual-abuse

How do you break that cycle? Just let them figure it out? How do we as white people become better athletically? Just figure it out?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT