ADVERTISEMENT

Culture Win

hexumhawk

HR Legend
Sep 24, 2003
North Liberty
I think what you saw Saturday was a culture win for this Iowa team. Most programs would have thrown in the towel on the season after the OSU game and the onslaught of negativity in the press. Got to give credit to KF and staff for keeping them focused and tuned in for the resto of the season. We might end up with a mediocre record looking back, but it could have went downhill real quick.

I think what you saw Saturday was a culture win for this Iowa team. Most programs would have thrown in the towel on the season after the OSU game and the onslaught of negativity in the press. Got to give credit to KF and staff for keeping them focused and tuned in for the resto of the season. We might end up with a mediocre record looking back, but it could have went downhill real quick.
Agreed good post. Combo of Iowa tinkering with Oline and it working, healthy WRs, not playing Top 15 defenses and Iowa sick of tired of being a punching bag! Plus, the Purdue revenge factor of 1-4 in last 5 games, the Jones and Tracy stuff, etc, etc.
Hawks were dialed in and Kaleb J is the now the bellcow and future superstar. You mix all these together and it's better football but should NOT supercede Iowa making offseason changes on offense/OC and getting portal help. That said, Richman and Colby playing well on left side, we have our 4 for next year, Plumb graduates and plug in Proctor...done!

Unless...Davidkov comes back and/or Britt is healthy and gets a Guard spot. Good times.

Last edited:
Agreed good post. Combo of Iowa tinkering with Oline and it working, healthy WRs, not playing Top 15 defenses and Iowa sick of tired of being a punching bag! Plus, the Purdue revenge factor of 1-4 in last 5 games, the Jones and Tracy stuff, etc, etc.
Hawks were dialed in and Kaleb J is the now the bellcow and future superstar. You mix all these together and it's better football but should NOT supercede Iowa making offseason changes on offense/OC and getting portal help. That said, Richman and Colby playing well on left side, we have our 4 for next year, Plumb graduates and plug in Proctor...done!

Unless...Davidkov comes back and/or Britt is healthy and gets a Guard spot. Good times.
I believe Colby is right side guard next to Plumb. Stephens left side guard next to Richman.

yep... gotta give Brian Ferentz a lot of credit for turning this thing around.

he's a football genius and he's turned a band of misfits into a strong offensive unit.
and the best is yet to come.

I do think the line is playing better somewhat, especially in pass pro, but KJ is still way more productive than the Williams duo with the same line. Gives the defense a lot to think about now.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
yep... gotta give Brian Ferentz a lot of credit for turning this thing around.

he's a football genius and he's turned a band of misfits into a strong offensive unit.
and the best is yet to come.
I honestly can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not with the genius comments. Regardless, not a single game of over 400 yards isn't indicative of a strong offensive unit. Again if this is sarcastic my apologies for not picking it up.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
no.. I'm not sarcastic... at all
I'm not a negtard.

the offensive player of the week goes to a guy from Iowa... that's not enough?

winning by 23 points is not enough?

there are so many negtards dominating this message board so I get the suspicion..
but I appreciate what all the coaches and players have done this season...
to me, its really impressive and fun to see these guys grow... to go from zero to hero.

and now the reward for their hard work is paying off..
they are now is a position to win the Big Ten West and play for a Championship.

you gotta be excited for these guys.. that is, if you are a fan of the Hawkeyes.
It's a start and something to be excited about. But it also wreaks of recency bias. If we're here talking about steady, continued offense improvement 2-3 years from now, then we're about half way toward reversing 6plus years of not even being in the top 80.

I don’t know if this conflicts with what you’re saying or not… but there seem to be 2 scenarios which seem to result in the most prepared and motivated KF teams:

1: KF is feeling his seat getting a little warm.

or

2: KF has a beef with the opposing head coach / coaching staff.

I think the Purdue game fit scenario #2.

Last edited:
Reactions: hexumhawk
The Iowa offense while better, is not ideal. Petras stil makes some head scratching throws, and the o-line is still shaky at times. But, overall the offense is trending up. I personally feel if this offense from the last few games was there from the beginning, this team is 6-2. I am cautiously optimistic for the next few games.

no.. I'm not sarcastic... at all
I'm not a negtard.

the offensive player of the week goes to a guy from Iowa... that's not enough?

winning by 23 points is not enough?

there are so many negtards dominating this message board so I get the suspicion..
but I appreciate what all the coaches and players have done this season...
to me, its really impressive and fun to see these guys grow... to go from zero to hero.

and now the reward for their hard work is paying off..
they are now is a position to win the Big Ten West and play for a Championship.

you gotta be excited for these guys.. that is, if you are a fan of the Hawkeyes.
Drop the name calling. Especially any iteration of that word. Be better.

Great post. The same thought went through my mind Saturday as I watched the game: players could have looked at the season as a lost cause … “Appeared” the camaraderie is still there. The high-fiving, the energy … players could easily have phoned it in …

Reactions: hawkhockey
It's a start and something to be excited about. But it also wreaks of recency bias. If we're here talking about steady, continued offense improvement 2-3 years from now, then we're about half way toward reversing 6plus years of not even being in the top 80.
we won the West Division last season.. we might very well win that this season and the Big Ten Championship... in 2020 we were the 2nd best offense in the Big Ten.

whatever standard you are putting on the Hawkeyes... it will never be satisfied.
its an impossible standard.

and I'm curious to know... did you support Greg Davis as the OC ?
or are you just bored of complaining about the current OC... and looking forward to a new OC to bitch about ?

are you honest enough to answer that question?

Reactions: hawkhockey
why?
they are toxic negative retards.
and they zap the fun out of the college football season.
you want me to be better... but not the negtards?
are you calling them out to be better?
its ok to criticize players and coaches... but not the negtards?
and obviously... you know who I am referring to.
I'm not going to bother engaging with this any further. Find a better word.

we won the West Division last season.. we might very well win that this season and the Big Ten Championship... in 2020 we were the 2nd best offense in the Big Ten.

whatever standard you are putting on the Hawkeyes... it will never be satisfied.
its an impossible standard.

and I'm curious to know... did you support Greg Davis as the OC ?
or are you just bored of complaining about the current OC... and looking forward to a new OC to bitch about ?

are you honest enough to answer that question?

My first response is: Huh?!

My second response to what I think you're asking is this: below are yards per game rankings compiled by Tampa Hawk Fan. I don't care who the OC is, but would like see these numbers meaningfully higher for multiple years before I'd claim this thing being "turned around." Call that whatever socially inappropriate word you will, but that's my take.

2017 - 117/130 (Brian Ferentz)
2018 - 92/130 (Brian Ferentz)
2019 - 99/130 (Brian Ferentz)
2020 - 88/128 (Brian Ferentz)
2021 - 124/130 (Brian Ferentz)

Reactions: BurgHawk87
My first response is: Huh?!

My second response to what I think you're asking is this: below are yards per game rankings compiled by Tampa Hawk Fan. I don't care who the OC is, but would like see these numbers meaningfully higher for multiple years before I'd claim this thing being "turned around." Call that whatever socially inappropriate word you will, but that's my take.

2017 - 117/130 (Brian Ferentz)
2018 - 92/130 (Brian Ferentz)
2019 - 99/130 (Brian Ferentz)
2020 - 88/128 (Brian Ferentz)
2021 - 124/130 (Brian Ferentz)
yea... lets see... Bill Belichick says "statistics are for losers."
those rankings don't mean anything as evidenced of the fact that Iowa went 43-18 during that same stretch.

2017: 8-5 (OC Brian Ferentz)
2018: 9-4 (OC Brian Ferentz)
2019: 10-3 (OC Brian Ferentz)
2020: 6-2 (OC Brian Ferentz)
2021: 10-4 (OC Brian Ferentz)

this includes being the 2nd best Offense in the Big Ten in 2020
and winning the West Division Title in 2021

you gotta be a Grade A Moron to not see this is consistent success.

Brian Ferentz is a football genius
you are a football moron

how's that for "socially inappropriate" ?

btw... apparently you are not honest enough to answer my question

Q: "and I'm curious to know... did you support Greg Davis as the OC ?
or are you just bored of complaining about the current OC... and looking forward to a new OC to bitch about ?"

I’m

not sold on Colby yet. Don’t see much nasty there,,,but he is young and physically could be much different next year.

ADVERTISEMENT