ADVERTISEMENT

Cumulative scoring

I'm sure this has been asked and answered, but why aren't the mats a couple feed wider? That 'step out onto the basketball court' thing seems like it could be eliminated pretty easily

Which is weird, because in Junior wrestling and High School wrestling we always put an extra little gymnast mat on four sides to give an extra ten feet of padding. Why this isn't done in college is beyond me.

Reactions: just_somebody
Agree with most of your points. As far as rules that favor passive wrestling, I'd start with the large gap between decision and Major, and between Major and Tech. As I said earlier, if a wrestlers gets a 2 or 3 point lead in the 3rd period there is little hope of scoring a Major, so they have incentive to sit on the lead. If five points were a Major, they would have incentive to try to score more points.

I also believe riding parallel with a leg in should be stalling. They're parallel for cripes sake. The rule allowing parallel riding because a leg is in gives incentive to kids to learn to ride legs so they can clamp on and rack up riding time.
While I don't disagree with your examples, I don't know if they will make a meaningful impact in wrestlers being more aggressive. Most guys are happy to win a bout, and getting the major is literally bonus. Think Dean Heil. You think he is going to expend any more energy for any reason? Are their more than 50 guys wrestling right now who are actively going for bonus each match?

The thing many of you are missing about removing RT from a 1-1 match, is that it STILL most likely is 1-1 and could drag out FOREVER if you remove the RT aspect. These guys ARE NOT wrestling 1-1 matches HOPING to get RT. RT is really the one way to hopefully END these matches faster. You may not like it, but there are many situations where RT saved you from watching a 30 minute match!
Bring back referee OT decisions. If the wrestlers can't decide it on the mat let the ref decide it based upon which wrestler was most active for the entire match. I think Harold Nichols used his powerful influence to get the rule changed after Minny's Evan Johnson won a title by beating their future HOFer Frank Santana in ot.

I agree. I just think you shouldn't forfeit your right to earn six points once you've crossed some numerical barrier. I've seen guys, down by 13 or 14 in neutral, fall to their belly to stop the match and save a team point.

At the college level, a pin and a tech fall should be worth the same because both demonstrate the ultimate goal of folkstyle wrestling...control. Either that or remove the tech. The tech in hs was put in place largely as a mercy rule, and originally was worth the same as a pin (the superior decision stayed). No need for a mercy rule in college. Put superior back in at 12, drop major to 6.

Reactions: artradley
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT