ADVERTISEMENT

Curbello gone

Seems that Underwood had enough of his antics and turnovers. Limited minutes down the stretch. Curbelo probably saw the writing on the wall.

Curbelo has a ton of game. He's just too wild and has to reign it in
Didn't Kofi enter the portal last year only to return? I could be wrong on that. May just be seeing what other NIL offers are out there.

Didn't Kofi enter the portal last year only to return? I could be wrong on that. May just be seeing what other NIL offers are out there.
Kofi did, but Illinois fans turned on Curbelo and he was benched for the entire second half in their last game. Illinois just met with 4/5* PG Skyy Clark on Friday and are supposedly the front runner for him.

Seems that Underwood had enough of his antics and turnovers. Limited minutes down the stretch. Curbelo probably saw the writing on the wall.

Curbelo has a ton of game. He's just too wild and has to reign it in
This is not correct. Underwood did not run him out of town. It sounds mutual from what is being reported. Yes, I know these reports happen so no one comes off looking bad.

There was no writing on the wall as you allege. He was benched in the second half of the Houston game as evidently there was a verbal disagreement between Andre and the staff.

He does have a ton of game and it's a big loss for the Illini any way you slice it.

Reactions: IlliniHoops91
Would not have predicted this after his fr. year. I would think a lot of teams would be interested. Illinois will look a lot different last year. I honestly thought Kofi could have made some good money coming out last year.

This is not correct. Underwood did not run him out of town. It sounds mutual from what is being reported. Yes, I know these reports happen so no one comes off looking bad.

There was no writing on the wall as you allege. He was benched in the second half of the Houston game as evidently there was a verbal disagreement between Andre and the staff.

He does have a ton of game and it's a big loss for the Illini any way you slice it.
Use whatever euphemism you’d like, but it’s highly likely that Underwood had a tough conversation with Curbelo and told him that minutes are going to be tough to come by going forward. Andre’s shooting and offensive productivity as a whole (PER, OWS, TS%, 3pt%) are all through the floor and he doesn’t do nearly enough at the other end to make up for it

It’s not an indictment on Underwood, as this conversation is commonplace and is possibly the same one occurring between Fran and a couple of guys within Iowa’s program. The only thing “mutual” about it is that Curbelo and Underwood “mutually” decided that if Andre wants to play next year, he needs to go somewhere else

Orlando Antigua isn't at Illinois any more, either. Could that be a big factor? Plus he played high school ball on Long Island, so Champaign isn't close to home.

Orlando Antigua isn't at Illinois any more, either. Could that be a big factor? Plus he played high school ball on Long Island, so Champaign isn't close to home.
They were going to give his NIL money to Skyy Clark. His playing time was going to be very limited next year given how awful he was this year.

They were going to give his NIL money to Skyy Clark. His playing time was going to be very limited next year given how awful he was this year.
So hold on. You’re saying they were taking away current NIL money he was already making to give to someone else? Link?

Reactions: Hendy hawk
So hold on. You’re saying they were taking away current NIL money he was already making to give to someone else? Link?
The money he was hoping to make next year was not going to be there and they are recruiting skyy Clark with that incentive.

Would not have predicted this after his fr. year. I would think a lot of teams would be interested. Illinois will look a lot different last year. I honestly thought Kofi could have made some good money coming out last year.
It’s been reported that Kofi is making a LOT of money, FTR. His NIL deal is “allegedly” more than he would have made as a rookie anywhere. I’m obviously just taking that from “insiders” on message boards, but I don’t find it hard to believe considering other NIL figures I’ve seen.

Iowa State here we come....
They just lost Brockington who bypassed his extra year to play pro ball but I figure Curbello looks somewhere else. Assuming Kofi goes pro Illinois will have a lot of new faces getting minutes next year. Had fair share of seniors and minus Frazier who I know was 5th year guy not sure how many are eligible to come back.

The money he was hoping to make next year was not going to be there and they are recruiting skyy Clark with that incentive.
Clearly that is a violation of the NIL rules. NIL deals are not to be used to recruit new players.
Underwood left a scandal at Ok. St.so cheating appears to be his approach to recruiting.
Jimmy Collins would approve.

Clearly that is a violation of the NIL rules. NIL deals are not to be used to recruit new players.
Underwood left a scandal at Ok. St.so cheating appears to be his approach to recruiting.
Jimmy Collins would approve.
Well you can be naive and think that this only happens in certain places. Or you could realize that every school and I mean every school (including iowa) is using NIL money as a recruiting point. If they aren't using NIL as recruiting pitch then they will not get any good players.

Well you can be naive and think that this only happens in certain places. Or you could realize that every school and I mean every school (including iowa) is using NIL money as a recruiting point. If they aren't using NIL as recruiting pitch then they will not get any good players.
Fran is not the greatest coach around but he does follow the rules, I believe.
Underwood? Not so much.

They just lost Brockington who bypassed his extra year to play pro ball but I figure Curbello looks somewhere else. Assuming Kofi goes pro Illinois will have a lot of new faces getting minutes next year. Had fair share of seniors and minus Frazier who I know was 5th year guy not sure how many are eligible to come back.
It felt like Frazier played at Illinois most of this century…a la ‘Gramps’ Settles and J-Bo…;)

I didn’t see much of Curbelo this season, but he was definitely a talent based on what I did see of him while at Illinois.

ADVERTISEMENT