ADVERTISEMENT

Current Olympic Redshirt Qualifiers

Yankeefan33

Rookie
Sep 22, 2014
Hey, noticed the FloWrestling guys discussing Olympic redshirts yesterday and thought I should post this. I currently have 19 guys already qualified for the Olympic redshirt, assuming criteria will be the same as last time. Some guys have qualified/will qualify multiple ways (Daton Fix was a junior medalist and past national team member), but I just list the way they first qualified for the redshirt.

From USA Wrestling from 2015:

There are four ways to qualify for an Olympic redshirt year:

1) Past National Team members (Top 3 from the World or Olympic Team Trials)

2) Top 8 at the 2019 Senior World Team Trials

3) Top 3 at the 2019 NCAA Wrestling Championship or NCAA Champion from a previous year AND top 2 from the 2019 University National Championships (must accomplish both)

4) Previous Junior or University World Medalist

Qualifiers of #1- Past National Team members (Top 3 from the World or Olympic Team Trials)

Mason Manville, Penn State- 2017 Greco-Roman World Team Member at 75kg

Nick Reenan, NC State- 2018 World Team, 2nd Place at 86kg

Jaydin Eierman, Missouri- 2018 World Team, 3rd Place at 65kg

Qualifiers of #4- Previous Junior/University World Medalist

Spencer Lee, Iowa- Gold Medal, 2016 Junior World Championships

Mark Hall, Penn State- Gold Medal, 2016 Junior World Championships

Daton Fix, Oklahoma State- Bronze Medal, 2016 Junior World Championships

Taylor LaMont, Utah Valley- Bronze Medal, 2016 Junior World Championships (Greco)

Mitch McKee, Minnesota- Silver Medal, 2017 Junior World Championships

Ryan Deakin, Northwestern- Silver Medal, 2017 Junior World Championships

Zahid Valencia, Arizona State- Silver Medal, 2017 Junior World Championships

Kollin Moore, Ohio State- Bronze Medal, 2017 Junior World Championships

Gable Steveson, Minnesota- Gold Medal, 2017 Junior World Championships

Cevion Severado, Missouri- Silver Medal, 2017 Junior World Championships (Greco)

Cohlton Schultz, Arizona State- Bronze Medal, 2018 Junior World Championships (Greco)

Andrew Berreyesa, Cornell- Silver Medal, 2018 Junior World Championships (Greco)

Aaron Brooks, Penn State- Silver Medal, 2018 Junior World Championships

Zach Elam, Missouri- Silver Medal, 2018 Junior World Championships

Mekhi Lewis, Virginia Tech- Gold Medal, 2018 Junior World Championships

Brady Berge, Penn State- Bronze Medal, 2018 Junior World Championships

Hey, noticed the FloWrestling guys discussing Olympic redshirts yesterday and thought I should post this. I currently have 19 guys already qualified for the Olympic redshirt, assuming criteria will be the same as last time. Some guys have qualified/will qualify multiple ways (Daton Fix was a junior medalist and past national team member), but I just list the way they first qualified for the redshirt.

3) Top 3 at the 2019 NCAA Wrestling Championship or NCAA Champion from a previous year AND top 2 from the 2019 University National Championships (must accomplish both)

Qualifiers of #1- Past National Team members (Top 3 from the World or Olympic Team Trials)

Taylor LaMont, Utah Valley- Bronze Medal, 2016 Junior World Championships (Greco)

Cevion Severado, Missouri- Silver Medal, 2017 Junior World Championships (Greco)

Cohlton Schultz, Arizona State- Bronze Medal, 2018 Junior World Championships (Greco)

Andrew Berreyesa, Cornell- Silver Medal, 2018 Junior World Championships (Greco)

Great work on this.

With all the success of the junior teams lately, I wonder if that criterion doesn’t get updated this time. Maybe only make it from the past year?

With all the success of the junior teams lately, I wonder if that criterion doesn’t get updated this time. Maybe only make it from the past year?

Good question. There were 16 wrestlers that qualified in 2016, with 5 choosing to use the redshirt (Valencia, Thielke, Beazley, Medbery, and Micic).

Using the last year is tricky, because that would disqualify upperclassmen most of the time (for example, Mark Hall and Zahid Valencia are no longer Junior eligible). They could go to something like only Junior world champs, but I'm unsure if that's the answer either. I'd think between 25-30 guys will end up qualifying; that seems like too much, but I rather like the criteria they used in 2016 and wouldn't change it besides a couple things (swapping U23s for Universities, for example).

Good question. There were 16 wrestlers that qualified in 2016, with 5 choosing to use the redshirt (Valencia, Thielke, Beazley, Medbery, and Micic).

Using the last year is tricky, because that would disqualify upperclassmen most of the time (for example, Mark Hall and Zahid Valencia are no longer Junior eligible). They could go to something like only Junior world champs, but I'm unsure if that's the answer either. I'd think between 25-30 guys will end up qualifying; that seems like too much, but I rather like the criteria they used in 2016 and wouldn't change it besides a couple things (swapping U23s for Universities, for example).
You’re right about Hall and Valencia, but my argument would be that if they’ve been out of juniors for over a year they’ve had other opportunities to qualify. Valencia would for making the national team. Hall could have attempted to make a national team or U23, or been an NCAA champ. The only reason you should leave last year’s juniors in is because they maybe didn’t try any of the other qualifiers because they were young enough to focus on junior.

You’re right about Hall and Valencia, but my argument would be that if they’ve been out of juniors for over a year they’ve had other opportunities to qualify. Valencia would for making the national team. Hall could have attempted to make a national team or U23, or been an NCAA champ. The only reason you should leave last year’s juniors in is because they maybe didn’t try any of the other qualifiers because they were young enough to focus on junior.

Something like this criteria would be okay and cut 5 or so guys:

1. Previous world teamer (top 3)
2. Top 8 at 2019 WTT
3. Top 3 at 2019 NCAA + Top 2 University Nationals
4. 2018/2019 Junior/U23 world medalist

Reactions: crablegs1
If Hall loses again this year to Valencia I could see him taking an Olympic shirt to allow Valencia to graduate next season and give himself a shot at his second title the following year.

If Hall loses again this year to Valencia I could see him taking an Olympic shirt to allow Valencia to graduate next season and give himself a shot at his second title the following year.
Just a consideration, he still has his regular redshirt left and also Valencia will be using his oly rs. Not sure what you are saying makes much sense.

Reactions: Gobblin
This begs the same question from the medical Shirt thread that I didn’t see answered. If, for example, Lee took an Olympic Year, how does that impact scholly monies? If you don’t use one for Lee in 2020, does it carry over for when he comes back or does that eliminate one altogether?

This begs the same question from the medical Shirt thread that I didn’t see answered. If, for example, Lee took an Olympic Year, how does that impact scholly monies? If you don’t use one for Lee in 2020, does it carry over for when he comes back or does that eliminate one altogether?
You get 9.9 scholarships to use anyway you want.Imagine if he took a Olympic RS he would stay in school so it would be up to Iowa if they paid for that year or not.

Just to clarify, an example could be that Lee gives some of his scholly money back the shirt year so they have a little more to pass around? I know there is some science behind all the partial rides and recruiting but wasn’t clear on how a shirt would impact the 9.9. Seems like the athlete would have a big decision to make in terms of staying in school or not.

http://content.themat.com/forms/2020-Olympic-Redshirt-Criteria.pdf

So I found this today digging around, and it would be pretty important. New criteria would be:

1. Past national team (top 3) member
2. Top 8 at 2019 US Open
3. Top 3 at 2019 NCAAs (or previous champ) and top 2 at 2019 U23 WTT
4. Previous Cadet, Junior, or U23 medalist.

This would be quite the change, and by my count would almost double the number of wrestlers (17) eligible for the redshirt (Jordan Wood, Owen Webster, Jacob Warner, Daniel Kerkvliet, Gavin Hoffman, Abe Assad, Travis Wittlake, Aaron Brooks, Will Lewan, David Carr, Yianni D, Jarod Verkleeren, Jacori Teemer, Vito Arujau, Kurt McHenry, and Matt Ramos).

Last edited:
Just to clarify, an example could be that Lee gives some of his scholly money back the shirt year so they have a little more to pass around? I know there is some science behind all the partial rides and recruiting but wasn’t clear on how a shirt would impact the 9.9. Seems like the athlete would have a big decision to make in terms of staying in school or not.

I thought most athletes take a year off of classes to train during the Olympic year. That is a large benefit of the Olympic redshirt.

Reactions: choosenuetral

Bump

Reactions: neiarugbyhawk
USA wrestling is stacked for 12 more years. This is the greatest time in the history to be a part of USA wrestling. IMHO of course

I agree. & withthe exception of 1-2 weights, it will be extremely difficult for any of those College guys to make the team.

Hey everybody, a little update and a request for help. The new 2020 Olympic redshirt qualifications changed qualifier #2 from Top 8 at the Trials to Top 8 at the Open. Therefore, I believe we had more names added to the list today and will have even more tomorrow.

My current list added Matthew Schmitt (West Virginia), Dylan Gregerson (Utah Valley), Leonard Merkin (Princeton), Tyler Dow (Wisconsin) and Haydn Maley (Stanford) to the list, but I feel like I am possibly missing people. So if anyone notices a name (current D1 athlete with eligibility left) that finishes top 8 at the Open (Greco or Freestyle) please message me/comment here. Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
Looks like four other names added theirselves to the list: Kanen Storr and Logan Massa (Michigan), Matt Finesilver (Duke), and Max Dean (Cornell). That's probably going to be the complete list unless someone like Vincenzo Joseph shows up at U23 trials.

The Olympic RS makes is an upgrade for college wrestling fans. One more year of serious training for the wrestlers, and we get to watch the improvement.

Especially if they are taking a year away from class work.
Gilman stated in an interview one of the big differences to training now vs. in college was not having to juggle academics and wrestling.

The more who qualify the better, as it helps build strong world and Olympic teams

After watching yesterday though, seems to me that the elite younger guys coming out of a college season do pretty damn well only a month after the NCAAs. I think the constant competition/peaking and getting used to wrestling after weigh ins is a plus versus just working out and getting up for 2-3 tourneys a year.

ADVERTISEMENT