ADVERTISEMENT

Current Recruiting Targets

I still don't understand how we aren't loaded every year with 4 star CBs and OL.

Edit: Add TE to that list.

Isn't is possible that the Coaches might like some 3 Stars a lot better than some of the 4-5 Stars out there? We all know that Ferentz and his staff value certain things (both tangible and intangible) in their recruits. Just because a rating service has them as a player as a 4 star and the person Iowa is recruiting is a 3 star, maybe on Iowa's board they have that 3 Star as lot on higher of a priority for whatever reason.

Especially regarding, CB's, TE's, and OL. The track record for those positions are outstanding. I think it is a good assumption that if Ferentz, Parker, and staff are offering people at those positions, they know what they are doing. I don't worry about those positions at all. As has been discussed many time, it is some of the other position groups where we have some issues (with WR being the most glaring). But I don't really care if they they aren't getting what recruiting sites are labeling as 4 Star players at the positions discussed above.

I still don't understand how we aren't loaded every year with 4 star CBs and OL.

Edit: Add TE to that list.

This is the eternal question for KF's tenure at Iowa. Simple answer is Iowa's recruiting game is extremely mediocre.Literally have two 1/2 RD picks at TE including the Mackey winner and we don't have a 4 star TE recruit coming in this class.

Another question is how you don't win more games considering all the NFL guys the school puts in the league. I am thinking KF has a great knack for identifying talent, but is not real good at reeling it in or using it.

Just one 4* on this entire list. Come on!

209kroi.jpg

This is the eternal question for KF's tenure at Iowa. Simple answer is Iowa's recruiting game is extremely mediocre.Literally have two 1/2 RD picks at TE including the Mackey winner and we don't have a 4 star TE recruit coming in this class.

Another question is how you don't win more games considering all the NFL guys the school puts in the league. I am thinking KF has a great knack for identifying talent, but is not real good at reeling it in or using it.

According to rivals there are 17 4 star tight ends in 2019, only 1 from mid west (from Illinois). And he is committed to Alabama. Only 1 commitment from a school of similar recruiting make up (Wisconsin) and that guy doesn’t have exactly a stunning offer list, is only 8 spots higher than Logan lee on the list, and his tape isn’t exactly eye popping.

Again, I see that said a lot "why don't we win more games considering all of the talent we put in the NFL". But I think this is pretty easily explained. I am not sticking up for Ferentz, so much as trying to show that the NFL numbers pretty much add up to what Iowa has been and is currently as a program.

I pulled the numbers below (it is as of September when the 53 man rosters were released, so likely varies a little as of now but you get the idea).

RANK FBS SCHOOL PLAYERS
1 Alabama 44
2 LSU 40
3 Florida 38
4 Miami 36
4 Ohio State 36
6 Florida State 33
7 Southern Cal 32
8 Clemson 29
9 Auburn 28
9 Georgia 28
11 Stanford 27
11 UCLA 27
11 Tennessee 27
14 Michigan 26
14 Notre Dame 26
16 Iowa 25
17 Texas 24
17 Penn State 24
17 Texas A&M 24
20 Oklahoma 23
21 Wisconsin 22
21 California 22
21 Washington 22
21 Mississippi 22
21 South Carolina 22

Iowa comes in at #16 on the list. I think it can be argued that at this point and over the last 6 years (which is pretty relevant to who is in the NFL right now), that is about where Iowa has been nationally. Overall, they are a 15 - 30 type program (yes I know can talk about finishing in Top 25 and whatever) and a 51-27 record the past 6 seasons comes out to an 8.5 - 4.5 record.

Also, a lot of the players that Iowa has in the NFL tend to be OL, TE, DL, LB. Besides the CB's they have, most of them are not "skill players" and I think that can be attributed as to why Iowa is an 8.5 game a year winner and not a 10 game a year winner (and thus a Top 10 program). In addition, a lot of these guys that make the NFL are not really finished products until they reach their 4th or 5th years in the program. Iowa's program BUILDS a lot of these guys up from raw 2 and 3 star players to NFL players over those 4-5 years. That is what they do and what they are best at. But a lot of these guys aren't ready to contribute at a high level their first 2-3 years in the program. There was an article on Kittle recently pointing this exact thing out. So while Iowa might have current guys on roster in their first or second year who ultimately become NFL players, they probably aren't ready or able to make that kind of impact right now.

Looking at that list, the question I am asking is why schools like USC, UCLA, Tennessee, and Texas haven't been a ton better based on the number of players they have in the NFL.

Dude who cares what they are rated??
Rivals has miamen as a 3*(borderline 2*)!
Assuming his offer list is correct, I'll put more into offers from mi, msu, psu, nd, wi over what any recruiting service decides!
According to rivals, lee also has mi/msu/wi offers!
If you want to complain about this years class, I'd pick a different position ;)

Reactions: David1979
Enlighten me on how "going harder" will magically increase our recruiting levels.

This isn't some static ability that is or isn't there. They're dealing with human beings dude, there has to be mutual interest. It's pretty difficult to land guys when they're not interested in the first place.
Who’s fault is it the recruit has no interest? Recruiting in college is just as important and I think considered an ability the same as getting a first down. We run a pro-style offense that uses tight ends more than any other school in the country and put them consistently in the NFL. And we can’t get any interest from high level high school tight ends? Are you kidding me?

Who’s fault is it the recruit has no interest? Recruiting in college is just as important and I think considered an ability the same as getting a first down. We run a pro-style offense that uses tight ends more than any other school in the country and put them consistently in the NFL. And we can’t get any interest from high level high school tight ends? Are you kidding me?

Both Tony Moaeki and CJ Fed were #2 ranked TE’s nationally by 247. Moaeki was great when not hurt, which was a lot. CJ underachieved at Iowa (for whatever reasons you want to point to). So they have got the best of the best TE’s. But the point is regardless of if they are high ranked or not, Iowa churns out NFL TE’s like no other. So if they are recruiting a TE hard, then it’s safe to say the coaching staff likes what they see no matter how many stars they have and there is a pretty good chance that player is going to be in position to make the NFL if they put in the time and take the coaching they get.

Again, I see that said a lot "why don't we win more games considering all of the talent we put in the NFL". But I think this is pretty easily explained. I am not sticking up for Ferentz, so much as trying to show that the NFL numbers pretty much add up to what Iowa has been and is currently as a program.

16 Iowa 25
17 Texas 24
17 Penn State 24
17 Texas A&M 24
20 Oklahoma 23
21 Wisconsin 22
21 California 22
21 Washington 22
21 Mississippi 22
21 South Carolina 22

Also, a lot of the players that Iowa has in the NFL tend to be OL, TE, DL, LB. Besides the CB's they have, most of them are not "skill players" and I think that can be attributed as to why Iowa is an 8.5 game a year winner and not a 10 game a year winner (and thus a Top 10 program). In addition, a lot of these guys that make the NFL are not really finished products until they reach their 4th or 5th years in the program. Iowa's program BUILDS a lot of these guys up from raw 2 and 3 star players to NFL players over those 4-5 years. That is what they do and what they are best at. But a lot of these guys aren't ready to contribute at a high level their first 2-3 years in the program. There was an article on Kittle recently pointing this exact thing out. So while Iowa might have current guys on roster in their first or second year who ultimately become NFL players, they probably aren't ready or able to make that kind of impact right now.

I think you hit the nail on the head. And it real starts in the QBs and WRs. Ricky Stanzi was a lucky recruit for Iowa as he blossomed after he got here and beat out Jake Christensen ( Army AA/ 4 star QB recruit) who could not hit water falling out of a boat in Lake MacBride. Jake Rudock was nothing special as he had Barney Fife arm strength beyond 10 yards and Iowa was lucky to get CJ Beathard. Stanley was almost fast tracked ahead of Tyler Weigers (4 star/ Elite 11 camper) from Day 1 here. I am sorry to say this but Iowa HSs fail to produce top D-1 QB regularly and I'm betting Duggan is another Iowa HS QB bust in college. Kurt Warner improved by working in arena ball before returning to the NFL. He really one played one year at UNI.

Hope Iowa can see what Petras and Mansell can do, but they will never be allowed to unseat Stanley. THis is the frustrating part about KF and his mindset. Stanley was hurt and was making bad plays and losing games. If he is hurt, rest him and roll the dice with another Qb. Play to win. WRs flow to where good passing QBs and teams are effective and winning. Stanley will never have Beathard's ability to scramble and buy time in the pocket. Stanley locks on to one receiver and defenses are becoming better at knowing where he is going to throw it.

Reactions: Wadzinator
I'm ultra pumped about LaPorta and want to see a commit from him real soon. Love the numbers and there is no doubt he is nearly a carbon copy of Hockenson in terms of his size, position in high school and receiving numbers. I'm putting him on the commit list already.

Logan Wolf got the late offer today. Is he yet another TE prospect in the making or will he remain at WR?

Seems like a pretty good athlete wherever he ends up. I wonder if they would take both LaPorta and Wolf? Also wonder if these two are guys they are looking to sign early or the later period?

That LaPorta kid should have more offers. Kid reminds me of Hockenson for sure in HS. One of the benefits of saving some scholarships is that you have kids like this who emerge during their senior year.

Reactions: BigOHawk
FYI, if they keep Jacobs and were to sign Wolf, LaPorta Adams and Jeudy it would move them up to about 35th in the team rankings on Rivals.

Recruiting isnt an exact science. I have seen plenty 3 star kids that look better by the eye than 4 star kids. All you need to do is look at Kittle and his recruitment. The stars are usually about pure physical athletic testing and who is recruiting you.

LaPorta at TE and Wolf at WR. Iowa wants to get both signed next week if they can.

Wolf’s situation is going to be very interesting. He was planning on playing basketball and football at UNI. He is an exceptional athlete but that is a pretty tall task. Not a dig at UNI, but there is very little energy in the area for football or men’s basketball. They just played a playoff game in front of 4000 people at the Dome and if not for A.J. Green, man, I don’t know that there would be any interest at all for basketball.

I’m not going to make the obvious white guy comparisons, but Logan is an absolute baller. Dowling doubled him all game in the state title game, but other than that, he lit up 4A football. He has good speed and size at right around 6’5”. He is a very good leader and versatile as well, playing some quarterback this year. He is excellent is special teams as well. He has enough wiggle to put his foot in the ground and take a punt to the house.

I am biased. I have watched him play football and basketball the last few years and he is a tough competitor and a great athlete. This would be a big get IMO, recruiting services be damned. If he was from Chicago, Dallas, or Tampa, Iowa fans would be salivating. I hope he ends up wearing black and gold.

I pulled the numbers below (it is as of September when the 53 man rosters were released, so likely varies a little as of now but you get the idea).

RANK FBS SCHOOL PLAYERS
1 Alabama 44
2 LSU 40
3 Florida 38
4 Miami 36
4 Ohio State 36
6 Florida State 33
7 Southern Cal 32
8 Clemson 29
9 Auburn 28
9 Georgia 28
11 Stanford 27
11 UCLA 27
11 Tennessee 27
14 Michigan 26
14 Notre Dame 26
16 Iowa 25
17 Texas 24
17 Penn State 24
17 Texas A&M 24
20 Oklahoma 23
21 Wisconsin 22
21 California 22
21 Washington 22
21 Mississippi 22
21 South Carolina 22

Iowa comes in at #16 on the list. I think it can be argued that at this point and over the last 6 years (which is pretty relevant to who is in the NFL right now), that is about where Iowa has been nationally. Overall, they are a 15 - 30 type program (yes I know can talk about finishing in Top 25 and whatever) and a 51-27 record the past 6 seasons comes out to an 8.5 - 4.5 record.

Looking at that list, the question I am asking is why schools like USC, UCLA, Tennessee, and Texas haven't been a ton better based on the number of players they have in the NFL.
Blue blood?

Wolf’s situation is going to be very interesting. He was planning on playing basketball and football at UNI. He is an exceptional athlete but that is a pretty tall task. Not a dig at UNI, but there is very little energy in the area for football or men’s basketball. They just played a playoff game in front of 4000 people at the Dome and if not for A.J. Green, man, I don’t know that there would be any interest at all for basketball.

I’m not going to make the obvious white guy comparisons, but Logan is an absolute baller. Dowling doubled him all game in the state title game, but other than that, he lit up 4A football. He has good speed and size at right around 6’5”. He is a very good leader and versatile as well, playing some quarterback this year. He is excellent is special teams as well. He has enough wiggle to put his foot in the ground and take a punt to the house.

I am biased. I have watched him play football and basketball the last few years and he is a tough competitor and a great athlete. This would be a big get IMO, recruiting services be damned. If he was from Chicago, Dallas, or Tampa, Iowa fans would be salivating. I hope he ends up wearing black and gold.

As you may recall, from prior posts, I'm a big fan of Wolf ever since I saw him in the state title BB game earlier this year. Superb athlete and if he works hard he could get to the next level pretty easily I'd think. I really hope he considers the Iowa offer seriously and joins us here.

LaPorta at TE and Wolf at WR. Iowa wants to get both signed next week if they can.

Wolf’s situation is going to be very interesting. He was planning on playing basketball and football at UNI. He is an exceptional athlete but that is a pretty tall task. Not a dog at UNI, but the is very little energy in the area for football or men’s basketball. They just played a playoff game in front of 4000 people at the Dome and if not for A.J. Green, man, I don’t know that there would be any interest at all.

I am biased. I have watched him play football and basketball the last few years and he is a tough competitor and a great athlete. This would be a big get IMO, recruiting services be damned. If he was from Chicago, Dallas, or Tampa, Iowa fans would be salivating. I hope he ends up wearing blac
As you may recall, from prior posts, I'm a big fan of Wolf ever since I saw him in the state title BB game earlier this year. Superb athlete and if he works hard he could get to the next level pretty easily I'd think. I really hope he considers the Iowa offer seriously and joins us here.

Agreed. He is such a fluid athlete, especially on the football field. Iowa has a couple factors working against them. His dad, Paul, played at UNI and he really wants to play with A.J. on the hardwood.

I think Panther fans are suffering from Farley fatigue and as I said, both programs are stale right now. IMO, if Wolf comes to Iowa he sees the field next year.

I think those questions and the meaning of life are the Top 3 questions for most people on the board.....

According to Rivals, visitors for this weekend are:
Shadrick Byrd
Logan Wolf
Sam LaPorta
Chris Reames
Sebastian Castro

It'd be interesting to hear an honest self evaluation of recruiting from the Iowa staff. It seems as though there are a lot of tools at Iowa's disposal (e.g., facilities, player development) that you'd think Iowa could recruit better.

A couple months ago an article was published with quotes from Josh Jackson talking about when Phil Parker recruited him. Jackson said that it was unlike other recruiting visits because Phil Parker spent most of the time telling Jackson the things he needed to work on and that if he came to Iowa, Phil would help him improve. Jackson said that is what sold him on Iowa. However, I would suspect that this type of pitch doesn't work as well with most recruits. I imagine that most recruits like the coaches that tell them how good they are and make promises for playing time, etc. I also imagine that those are the types of players that the Iowa coaching staff doesn't want to spend too much time chasing/appeasing because those recruits then get to campus expecting starting positions to be handed to them because of their natural abilities, rather than having to earn playing time by showing commitment and attention to detail.

The reality is that our ability to consistently beat blue bloods for players is and has been very low. Kirk would rather "Search" for under valued players than play the traditional recruiting game against far "sexier" programs like Michigan, Ohio State, Oregon, Notre Dame, etc. Whether you finish 2nd or 22nd for a player is almost irrelevant as it amounts to a huge use of time and energy. The sentiment on the board is that we should tweak that strategy at least with historically strong positiions like OL, LB, DB and TE.

In my opinion, I cannot stand the "aw shucks, we are not sexy" positioning of the program. Now, we cannot be intellectually dishonest and pretend we are similar to Oklhahoma, Clemson, etc. but...we should play up that we are all about player development, strength/conditioning or something that will resonate with 17/18 year olds but is also authentic. Kirk has to use those opportunities in interviews to accentuate what we ARE vs what we ARE NOT. Now I am sure some of this happens in the 1 on 1 recruiting, but our overall program perception/equity needs to be elevated.

Weather and extremely low population/talent base are the biggest obstacles. This makes the geographic strategy of paramount importance. I do like the under the radar search strategy in SEC country, but do feel like we need to battle for more of the 4/5 stars in midwest.

Reactions: Broadhead81
It'd be interesting to hear an honest self evaluation of recruiting from the Iowa staff. It seems as though there are a lot of tools at Iowa's disposal (e.g., facilities, player development) that you'd think Iowa could recruit better.

A couple months ago an article was published with quotes from Josh Jackson talking about when Phil Parker recruited him. Jackson said that it was unlike other recruiting visits because Phil Parker spent most of the time telling Jackson the things he needed to work on and that if he came to Iowa, Phil would help him improve. Jackson said that is what sold him on Iowa. However, I would suspect that this type of pitch doesn't work as well with most recruits. I imagine that most recruits like the coaches that tell them how good they are and make promises for playing time, etc. I also imagine that those are the types of players that the Iowa coaching staff doesn't want to spend too much time chasing/appeasing because those recruits then get to campus expecting starting positions to be handed to them because of their natural abilities, rather than having to earn playing time by showing commitment and attention to detail.

Great post. I read the same thing. It goes back to the fact that I doubt Iowa’s staff recruits to much based on stars. They have a certain type of player - not just physically but in work ethic, mentality, approach - that they want. That probably doesn’t go over too well with all the highly rated recruits that are hearing how great they are on a daily basis. For better or worse, they want someone who can handle hat things aren’t going to be handed to them and be easy.

I can’t stand hearing the coaches say it’s hard because we aren’t a “sexy” program. No we aren’t Ohio State but we have awesome facilities, big crowd with a supportive fan base, tons of guys going to the NFL, stable coaching staff. It just seems they could be selling the product a little better. Iowa City is a great college town. Yes the weather sucks but it’s cold at every Big Ten school.

Reactions: hawkhorn

I think your second paragraph hits the nail on the head.

The reality is that our ability to consistently beat blue bloods for players is and has been very low. Kirk would rather "Search" for under valued players than play the traditional recruiting game against far "sexier" programs like Michigan, Ohio State, Oregon, Notre Dame, etc. Whether you finish 2nd or 22nd for a player is almost irrelevant as it amounts to a huge use of time and energy. The sentiment on the board is that we should tweak that strategy at least with historically strong positiions like OL, LB, DB and TE.

In my opinion, I cannot stand the "aw shucks, we are not sexy" positioning of the program. Now, we cannot be intellectually dishonest and pretend we are similar to Oklhahoma, Clemson, etc. but...we should play up that we are all about player development, strength/conditioning or something that will resonate with 17/18 year olds but is also authentic. Kirk has to use those opportunities in interviews to accentuate what we ARE vs what we ARE NOT. Now I am sure some of this happens in the 1 on 1 recruiting, but our overall program perception/equity needs to be elevated.

Weather and extremely low population/talent base are the biggest obstacles. This makes the geographic strategy of paramount importance. I do like the under the radar search strategy in SEC country, but do feel like we need to battle for more of the 4/5 stars in midwest.

When you think about it though, why should Iowa tweak their recruiting for those historically strong positions? Doesn’t the fact that they are historically strong positions mean that the Iowa staff knows what they are looking for there?

Reactions: td77 and bojihawk44
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT