ADVERTISEMENT

Starting 5/Rotation given CURRENT Roster? Is SCHEDULE Toughest in History? IOWA #16(USA Today)

Will Iowa have the most unathletic team in the Big Ten next year?

tenor.gif

Reactions: naturalbornhawk
who's gonna back up Weezy if PMac doesn't?

Can you imagine if Weezy would have stayed in the NBA Draft? LOL

Yeah, we need a PG AND a shooting guard right now

CMac? Don't knock it until you try it.... Or our newest scholarship player, Riley Till? He is a SF.

Other than that I got nobody. I dread the thought of Fran playing Nunge at the 3 again. Might as well as play Ellingson at PG. Oh wait...

Yes, we need a PG and SG. Probably two of each actually, considering the potential for injury.

CMac? Don't knock it until you try it.... Or our newest scholarship player, Riley Till? He is a SF.

Other than that I got nobody. I dread the thought of Fran playing Nunge at the 3 again. Might as well as play Ellingson at PG. Oh wait...

Yes, we need a PG and SG. Probably two of each actually, considering the potential for injury.
I thought our 11 scholarship roster was set in stone. Now with JBo out, I wonder if there is a grad transfer PG or SG out there, still available, who might see an opportunity at Iowa.

Leistikow: How would 2019-20 Hawkeyes look if Jordan Bohannon Redshirts?

Chad Leistikow,
Hawk Central
May 21, 2019
https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/s...ry-redshirt-joe-touissant-recruit/3752260002/

Where does Fran McCaffery’s Iowa basketball team go from here?

Its latest offseason blow is the biggest one yet.

There’s a good chance the three-year starting point guard and the most prolific 3-point shooter in program history will elect to redshirt for the 2019-20 season.

While detailing the pain he’s played through the past two seasons, Jordan Bohannon told me he expects to be out five to nine months while recovering from hip surgery he has scheduled for Wednesday. If he’s not ready to go once the season begins, he’ll elect to take his redshirt season. Do the math, and it’s easy to see that at best, he’ll be cutting it close.

Before we get to the potential outlook of the 2019-20 Hawkeyes without Bohannon, let’s take a moment to understand where Bohannon is coming from.

Here’s a life-long Hawkeye fan who played through painful plantar fasciitis as a sophomore, then pain in his hip from Game 1 through Game 35 as a junior.

Even though he’s been a dynamic scorer at times — already No. 1 in Hawkeye history with 264 3-pointers; No. 7 in assists; and No. 22 in points — Bohannon doesn’t feel like he’s been putting his best self on the floor.

“I felt like I could have played better in some games, maybe,” Bohannon said, “but at the end of the day, I tried to make the most of what I had.”

McCaffery sounded more optimistic about Bohannon's recovery in a university-released statement. Of course, the last thing a head coach wants to do is publicly rule out a return.

"This is an unfortunate setback for Jordan, but he will work hard during his rehab and is expected to make a full recovery,” the statement said. "He has the support of his teammates and coaches, and we look forward to having a healthy Jordan back when he is given clearance from our medical staff."

It was clear in our conversation, Bohannon craves to be healthy for a full season. That's his goal. Maybe he’ll be back on the court in four months and be in game shape by early November. Maybe.

But maybe he won’t be until sometime after the 2019-20 season begins. Anyone who's had a hip operation will tell you that the recovery is often tricky and unpredictable. If the rehab has any hiccups, Bohannon will be ready to take a redshirt.

If that scenario unfolds, how does next season shape up?

The graduation of Nicholas Baer, the NBA departure of Tyler Cook and the transfers of Maishe Dailey and Isaiah Moss … those losses already left a mark. But there were pretty obvious replacement plans in place for each.

Losing Bohannon? There is no warranty, no good backup plan on one of the most clutch players in Hawkeye history.

According to the UI, Bohannon was among the nation's leaders with 85 points last season in the last two minutes of regulation and of overtime periods. He shot 19 of 35 (54.2%) in those moments and was 41-for-47 (87.2%) from the foul line.

If you're looking for good news today: Certainly, Bohannon’s revelation is happening early enough that it should send out beacons across the country to any potential graduate-transfer point guards. There is a potential major vacancy in Iowa City, and — in case you missed it — the Hawkeyes have two open scholarships.

There’s room at the inn.

McCaffery, in a recent interview with the Register, said he was still open to taking on an immediately-eligible transfer. He surely knew then what we know now — that there could be a gaping backcourt need. He had a large packet of transfer-portal names handy as we spoke, and more will be added to the list as summer graduations approach.

If the Hawkeyes don’t bring in a one-year stopgap, then … welcome to the white-hot spotlight, Connor McCaffery. And true freshman Joe Toussaint.

They would no longer be point guards of the future; they’d be Iowa’s point guards of the present. And with Connor planning to play summer-league baseball in New York, Toussaint has even more of an opening to shine upon his arrival.

Redshirting forwards Jack Nunge and Cordell Pemsl figure to backfill Cook’s vast production, and active big man Ryan Kriener (who, without Bohannon, would be the lone senior player) should see an increased role in a frontcourt needing Baer-like grit.

Center Luka Garza’s minutes should rise from 23.6 to about 30.6. He and sophomore Joe Wieskamp (assuming he returns as expected after getting NBA feedback) will share the team's featured scoring roles, and both are ready for that spotlight.

CJ Fredrick was going to unseat some of Moss’ shooting-guard minutes, anyway, so he’ll be on the fast track to a robust redshirt freshman year. I think he'll be a good one. He could also play some point guard, if needed.

A Bohannon-less starting five might look like this: McCaffery at the 1, Fredrick at the 2, Wieskamp at the 3, Kriener/Pemsl/Nunge (take your pick) at the 4, Garza at the 5.

“They have a lot of guys that are willing to step up, no matter what happens," Bohannon said. "CJ. Joe stepping in. Connor. There are a lot of pieces that will fit together."

The schedule is daunting, one that the head coach called maybe the toughest in program history. Without four of last year's top six (Bohannon, Moss, Baer, Cook), the Hawkeyes would be hard-pressed to make the NIT, let alone the NCAAs.

Maybe all this attrition answers the Patrick McCaffery quandary, too. The talented incoming freshman forward needs time to bulk up, and maybe this settles it — that he would benefit from a redshirt year while the Hawkeyes build for another run (perhaps with a healthier Bohannon) in 2020-21.

Hawkeyes columnist Chad Leistikow has covered sports for 24 years with The Des Moines Register, USA TODAY and Iowa City Press-Citizen. Follow @ChadLeistikow on Twitter.

gotta agree with leistikow.

Connor
Fredrick
Wieskamp
Nunge
Garza

first off the bench

Pemsl
Kriener
Toussiant

Although, Toussiant will sub early I look for him to play the least minutes of the eight. Riley Till and P Mac will also provide some minutes. Till will play if there is foul trouble, and P Mac will spell Wieskamp as needed. I expect to see Connor and Wieskamp on the floor the most, by far. If Fran cannot find a 6'5 - 6'6 F/G transfer, I do not see how P Mac can redshirt at this point.

Reactions: perryhawk
With DePaul being announced as Iowa's Gavitt Game opponent, here is an update on the 31 game, 2019-2020 Regular Season Schedule:

11 game nonconference schedule:

1. S. Illinois
2. Prelim Las Vegas Invite home game
3. Prelim Las Vegas Invite home game
4. Creighton, Las Vegas Invite
5. SD State or Texas Tech, Las Vegas Invite
6. Iowa State
7. Oral Roberts
8. Cincinnati (played in Chicago)
9. Kennesaw St
10. B1G / ACC Challenge game
11. DePaul (part of Gavitt Games)

And here is our 20 GAME CONFERENCE SCHEDULE:

CLICK ON IMAGE FOR LARGER VIEW
D4YI3DdWwAA6ol-.jpg

Last edited:
I agree with starting five I think that’s a lock. I also believe RK has a huge year. I think Till surprises and plays a defensive, hustler, role player and gets more minutes than any of us believe he will as of today.

This is my wild guess.....PG Connor SG CJ Wing Joe W. 4 Nunge 5 Garza

Joe T
Pemsl
Ryan K
Patrick

Till occasionally
i think you are right. and we are down to that 9 man rotation everyone wants!

:)

right now, i think it would be hard to redshirt PMac simply because we are running out of bodies.

As Moss is in Iowa City taking classes & finishing his undergrad degree, I wonder if he regrets his decision about leaving, where he has a move to Arkansas in his near future. Iowa obviously could have used him.

right now, i think it would be hard to redshirt PMac simply because we are running out of bodies.

As Moss is in Iowa City taking classes & finishing his undergrad degree, I wonder if he regrets his decision about leaving, where he has a move to Arkansas in his near future. Iowa obviously could have used him.

Get over it already. Fran didn't push Moss out, he left on his own accord. Obviously he felt that he needed a change of scenery so off he went. I for one am not going to regret his leaving and as a fan there's not a lot that we can do about it anyway. He was at Iowa for 4 years and in Fran's world that has been the limit that most all of his recruits have stayed at Iowa.
I'm ready to see this new Iowa team whether it's improved or not.
Fran could go out and recruit the best player(s) in the nation and the finished result would be the same as during his first 9 years. He's an average recruiter and an average coach with an average coaching staff, no more no less. An Iowa specialty.

I disagree an average recruiter, average coach, with an average coaching staff does. It beat a Mick Cronin team basically a home game for the Bearcats as anyIowa fan their will tell you the place was packed with Cincinnati fans. Then take arguably the best team in the country to overtime isn’t fine if your just average!

I disagree an average recruiter, average coach, with an average coaching staff does. It beat a Mick Cronin team basically a home game for the Bearcats as anyIowa fan their will tell you the place was packed with Cincinnati fans. Then take arguably the best team in the country to overtime isn’t done if your just average!

I would think that both Maishe and Isaiah would have given making a move some extra thought had they known about JBO and the other transfering....Moss at the 2G and Joe W wing or Maishe/Joe W 2/3 I think are both athletic and talented 2/3 line ups. I think Maishe, given more playing time, had the ability to be a strong contributor. I think Moss would have played more minutes if he had stayed....but, it just doesn't matter now.

With till getting a scholly, I am starting to think Fran will use him to spell joe w. This will allow Fran to still be able to redshirt pmac. Till would be somebody quick enough to guard the 3.

I would think that both Maishe and Isaiah would have given making a move some extra thought had they known about JBO and the other transfering....Moss at the 2G and Joe W wing or Maishe/Joe W 2/3 I think are both athletic and talented 2/3 line ups. I think Maishe, given more playing time, had the ability to be a strong contributor. I think Moss would have played more minutes if he had stayed....but, it just doesn't matter now.
Is Moss in Iowa City taking summer classes or is he in Arkansas taking the courses online? I just think he got bad advice (from his dad, for starters); he has one more year & he's leaving his buddies and his starting job at Iowa for a lot of unknowns in Arkansas (will he like his coach? will he start? will his minutes and ppg go up?)

If everyone came back and we avoided injuries, I could see us as a top 25 team. But losing Cook, Moss, and if we lose JBo for 2019/2020, we probably aren't even a tourney team. With all of the losses that other Big Ten teams have had to the draft, the conference will be down and so will our strength of schedule.

Unfortunately, I think JBo redshirts because of his surgery.

our nonconf SOS should be much better this year; it will be interesting to see how the B1G teams perform out of conference; will the B1G perform like 2017/2018 (few NCAA Tourney bids) or 2018/2019 (a lot more NCAA Tourney bids)?

I am lousy at predictions, but I think if it's 31 regular season games....then it's something like 17-14 which includes a 9-11 B10 record.

A lot is dependent on the guard play as I think Iowa's bigs can play with anyone.

June 6, 2019 Schedule Update (Syracuse will be the B1G/ACC Challenge opponent):

The 2019-2020 Schedule:

Read these 2 tweets. Note that Fran says the schedule will be toughest ever in the history of Iowa basketball. Do you agree?

Looks like this is our 11 game nonconference schedule:

1. S. Illinois
2. Prelim Las Vegas Invite Home game
3. Prelim Las Vegas Invite Home game
4. Creighton, Las Vegas Invite
5. SD State or Texas Tech, Las Vegas Invite
6. at Iowa State
7. Oral Roberts
8. Cincinnati (played in Chicago)
9. Kennesaw St
10. at Syracuse--B1G / ACC Challenge game
11. DePaul--Big East team (part of Gavitt Games)

And here is our 20 GAME CONFERENCE SCHEDULE:

CLICK ON IMAGE FOR LARGER VIEW
D4YI3DdWwAA6ol-.jpg

Starting five, no idea. The only starters that I think you can say for sure are going to be Garza and Wieskamp. Connor appears to be the starter, but new comer Toussiant appears to have what Connor doesn't. CJ appeared to be the starter at the 2 spot, but Bakari will be giving him a run for his money. With Nunge coming back getting all the praise for his ability to put on weight, he appears to be the starter. What is Pemsl comes back pain free and is consistently elevated to play better than we saw him against ISU. The 1,2, and 4 positions are going to see some serious competition. For this reason, I do not think Fran will have a problem redshirting PMac this coming year. My guess:
As the year begins:
Connor
Fredrick
Wieskamp
Nunge
Garza

January:
Connor's numbers on the floor start to dwindle with the emergence of Joe T. but still starts.
Bakari
Wieskamp
Pemsl is given the nod about every other game
Garza

June 10, 2019 ROSTER UPDATE:

The 2019-2020 Roster:

On May 2, Moss
announced he was transferring.

Tyler Cook is skipping his senior year to pursue his NBA dreams.

On May 15, Riley Till was put on scholarship.

On June 9, 6'2" PG/SG Bakari Evelyn (***), a Valparaiso Grad Transfer, committed to the Hawkeyes. He has one year of eligibility with Iowa.

BEFORE THE MOSS TRANSFER & WHEN I WAS STILL HOPING COOK WOULD COME BACK, I was thinking preseason that we were looking at a top 10 team. Our 13 man (minus Dailey but including Cook and Moss) scholarship roster WAS loaded with talent and experience. Could we stay in the top 10 WAS the question.

With the addition of Evelyn, we are now up to 12 on scholarship.

Current Roster (12 currently on scholarship; 1 scholarship available):

2023 (when scheduled to graduate): 3 players

6'4" SG CJ Fredrick (***); in early Nov, 2018, was decided CJ would redshirt the 2018-2019 season

6'6" SF Patrick McCaffery (****)

5'10" PG Joe Toussaint (***)

2022 (when scheduled to graduate): 3 players

6'5" SG Joe Wieskamp (****)

6'5" SG Connor McCaffery (****; announced on Apr 28, 2017 that he will play baseball in the Spring of 2018 and redshirt in basketball in the fall of 2017; ended up, however, playing in 4 games in Dec 2017 as a true freshman, mostly because of the Christian Williams departure; however, after missing two games due to a sprained ankle, eight contests due to mononucleosis, and 19 games after undergoing a tonsillectomy in December, 2017, he was granted a hardship waiver on March 26, 2018, where he will have 4 years of basketball eligibility remaining; on April 11, 2018, Connor was put on scholarship).

6'9" F Jack Nunge (***); in early Nov, 2018, was decided Jack would redshirt the 2018-2019 season

2021 (when scheduled to graduate): 3 players

6'10" C Luke Garza (****)

6'8" SF Cordell Pemsl (***); had surgery on his knee Dec 18, 2018, which caused him to miss the remainder of the 2018-2019 season; was scheduled to graduate in 2020; since he played in just two games in the 2018-2019 season (logging a total of just 31 minutes), he will be granted a medical redshirt for an additional year.

6'6" Riley Till (redshirted in 2016-2017)

2020 (when scheduled to graduate): 3 players

6'9" PF Ryan Kriener (***)

6'0" PG Jordan Bohannon (***)

6'2" PG/SG Bakari Evelyn (***); a Valparaiso Grad Transfer; committed to the Hawkeyes on June 9, 2019 and has one year of eligibility with Iowa.

Notable Walk on players:

2021 (when scheduled to graduate): 1 player

6'2" Guard Austin Ash

Starting five, no idea. The only starters that I think you can say for sure are going to be Garza and Wieskamp. Connor appears to be the starter, but new comer Toussiant appears to have what Connor doesn't. CJ appeared to be the starter at the 2 spot, but Bakari will be giving him a run for his money. With Nunge coming back getting all the praise for his ability to put on weight, he appears to be the starter. What is Pemsl comes back pain free and is consistently elevated to play better than we saw him against ISU. The 1,2, and 4 positions are going to see some serious competition. For this reason, I do not think Fran will have a problem redshirting PMac this coming year. My guess:
As the year begins:
Connor
Fredrick
Wieskamp
Nunge
Garza

January:
Connor's numbers on the floor start to dwindle with the emergence of Joe T. but still starts.
Bakari
Wieskamp
Pemsl is given the nod about every other game
Garza

I think that's a legit guess......just based on what we've heard I would guess Jack ahead of Cordell but who knows. In this lineup you start experience at guard. Regardless of who does start it is clear that it will be a very different team since there are at least three starters (Cook-Moss-JBO) not playing. It will be interesting.

In case you missed it, the following comes from the front page of Hawkeye Report. Watch/listen as Fran gives an update on the roster.

As you will see, among other things:

* RIGHT NOW, the plan is to play PMac.

* Nunge is around 250 lbs & really shooting the ball well.

* After this video, there is a Garza video & a Weezy video.

Thanks, @TomKakert

LINK: https://iowa.rivals.com/news/mccaffery-updates-iowa-hoops

Last edited:
Reactions: Hawksfor3
In case you missed it, the following comes from the front page of Hawkeye Report. Watch/listen as Fran gives an update on the roster.

Thanks, @TomKakert

Caught those vids yesterday. Good viewing. Fran said Pat is really hitting the weights. Good stuff.

Reactions: Franisdaman

Thanks, @TomKakert

In non-Moss related news . . .Pat likely to play this year

I would expect him to fit a Baer-type role. I know there's weight concerns, but we probably need him coming off the bench. I don't know who else could play the three 3 when Joe needs a break.

See post #310 above.

Feel free to give Kakert some love for the reporting, too ;)

G C.McC / Toussaint
G Evelyn / Fredrick
F Wieskamp / P.McC
F Pemsl / Kriener
C Garza / Nunge

The two guard sports are virtually interchangeable. We will have two guys who can play the point on the floor at all times.

I think Nunge is re-inventing himself as a center — maybe a “stretch 5,” and will see most of his time there, with Kriener sliding to the 4.

Now that we are up to 12 on scholarship....

If I were to guess right now:

Starters:
JoeT
CJF
Weezy
Nunge
Garza

First off the bench (next wave?):
Connor
Bakari
PMac
Pemsl