ADVERTISEMENT

#24 Ranked 2021 Class After Deavin Hilson & OL Michael Myslinski COMMIT.

And the thing is they've had highly rated running backs in the program. Granted, quite a few of them flaked out for various reasons, but it's not like the running back room has been void of talent the last twenty years.
Right.

Just the way we go about everything in trying to win football games...

...our focus is so greatly on defense that our offense plays a far second 'fiddle' in overall strategy.

Every game it's "let's let our defense go out there and dominate while hoping we can muster up some touchdowns allowing us to win the game."

Iowa has been winning a good chunk of football games and it's great but, after a lot of (overwhelming majority) those wins it's "man the defense played LIGHTS OUT but why does our offense struggle so bad? We should have steamrolled those guys but whew, at least we won."

Winning is great but I wish we had more of an offensive-minded way of winning is all.

Right.

...our focus is so greatly on defense that our offense plays a far second 'fiddle' in overall strategy.

Every game it's "let's let our defense go out there and dominate while hoping we can muster up some touchdowns allowing us to win the game."

Iowa has been winning a good chunk of football games and it's great but, after a lot of (overwhelming majority) those wins it's "man the defense played LIGHTS OUT but why does our offense struggle so bad? We should have steamrolled those guys but whew, at least we won."

Winning is great but I wish we had more of an offensive-minded way of winning is all.

I understand what you're saying and I agree the offense is frustrating to watch at times, but I disagree the strategy, at least the last couple years, has been to go into a shell on offense and let the defense win the game. Remember, Petras had fifty pass attempts against Northwestern, and many on here voiced not running the football cost Iowa the game. Maybe. The other issue is your offensive coordinator has his hands tied calling plays when the quarterback is erratic and inaccurate. I mean, what do you dial up when your quarterback is consistently missing open receivers by a country mile?

For me, I think they need to reconsider the zone blocking scheme and if it's effective anymore. We have had too many studs on the offensive line for the running game to be as putrid as it has been. There are just too many run plays that go for no gain or a loss, and when your offense is consistently looking at 2nd and 10 or 2nd and 12 that puts you behind the chains. Not a lot of offenses can thrive in that scenario. I think if they were willing to change blocking schemes that would hopefully improve the running game which would open everything else up. One thing is for sure, though: between our receivers and running backs, there was too much talent for the offense to struggle as much as they did this last season.

Reactions: NoSwampDonkeys
Only one that I know of was Estime and that was a longshot. Maybe I'm mistaken tho.
Yeah my I am not remembering right. I thought there is a couple others but now am second guessing myself. Maybe I was thinking of Jaylin White? Either way. It does seem like you are right they should have been going after guys before waiting both at DB and RB

Reactions: millhawk
Right.

To me a lot of it is personnel. If they had the RBs Wisconsin has had for the last 10 years, I think people would think differently of Iowa's offensive ability. Offense could have also been helped by a mobile QB.

It is good that signs are pointing to Myslinki to Iowa. At least one person thinks Sanders to Iowa so they still have a shot. I like the fact that is someone from Arizona that made that call as he likely has talked to people in the know. Would be a huge late signing period to get Myslinski, Sanders and the transfer from UNI.

Reactions: BigOHawk
Yeah, we often wonder why 5 star TE's and RB's aren't lining up in droves to play at Iowa but it's not always that simple. It's a two-way street of interest, kids have to meet the needs of this program and the culture, have the work ethic and drive and of course meet the academic requirements. Plus recruiting competition is always there and the pandemic has eliminated on campus visits, which limits the talent pool and interest from prospects outside the state/region.

Yeah, we often wonder why 5 star TE's and RB's aren't lining up in droves to play at Iowa but it's not always that simple. It's a two-way street of interest, kids have to meet the needs of this program and the culture, have the work ethic and drive and of course meet the academic requirements. Plus recruiting competition is always there and the pandemic has eliminated on campus visits, which limits the talent pool and interest from prospects outside the state/region.
All good considerations.

But let's take Eli Sanders for example...We want him. Iowa State wants him. He visits both campuses. The kid is from Arizona, no ties to either staff or conference (at least that I've read).

Why in the world would he consider Iowa State over Iowa? They have been getting the ball to their playmakers as of late and their RBs are going to the league AND succeeding. Surely, Breece Hall is well on his way to an NFL roster.

Iowa needs to change something. Brian throwing the ball 50 times with an inadequate QB? Grossly bad coaching. Also agree with blackNgoldbleeder that the zone scheme needs to go bye-bye.

ISM was a tremendous player and played ALL 4 YEARS. Result: something like 111 catches.

Devonta Smith: 105 receptions this season alone.

I know Alabama is on a different level, but, ISM could outrun anyone. 111 catches in 4 years for him? Unaccepatable IMO. 3rd year (2019) of being a starter and playmaker = 44 catches - his highest total...

...some guy named Xavier Hutchenson for ISU just caught 64 balls in his first year accumulating stats.

Coaching...offensive strategy... QB recruiting...something's gotta give.

**That was a horribly long post, and for that i'm sorry.

Last edited:
All good considerations.

But let's take Eli Sanders for example...We want him. Iowa State wants him. He visits both campuses. The kid is from Arizona, no ties to either staff or conference (at least that I've read).

Why in the world would he consider Iowa State over Iowa? They have been getting the ball to their playmakers as of late and their RBs are going to the league AND succeeding. Surely, Breece Hall is well on his way to an NFL roster.

Iowa needs to change something. Brian throwing the ball 50 times with an inadequate QB? Grossly bad coaching. Also agree with blackNgoldbleeder that the zone scheme needs to go bye-bye.

ISM was a tremendous player and played ALL 4 YEARS. Result: something like 111 catches.

I know Alabama is on a different level, but, ISM could outrun anyone. 111 catches in 4 years for him? Unaccepatable IMO. 3rd year (2019) of being a starter and playmaker = 44 catches - his highest total...

...some guy named Xavier Hutchenson for ISU just caught 64 balls in his first year accumulating stats.

This Xavier Hutchinson?

All good considerations.

Well, it helps that Purdy ended up throwing the ball 120 more times than Petras for starters, with 4 more games. Our receivers numbers would have gone up some. While Hall is tremendous, he averaged 5.8 yards from scrimmage, just like Goodson. Sargent averaged 5.7.
It also matters what defenses you are playing.
YPG defense rankings
Wisconsin 5
PSU 17
NW 22
Okie 29
TCU 30
Okie St 45
Baylor 49
Nebraska 51
MSU 55
Purdue 57
Texas 64
Minny 72
KSU 97
Tech 99
KU 108
Illinois 114
If our coaches could somehow make the other big ten defenses suck more, that would really help.

Well, it helps that Purdy ended up throwing the ball 120 more times than Petras for starters, with 4 more games. Our receivers numbers would have gone up some. While Hall is tremendous, he averaged 5.8 yards from scrimmage, just like Goodson. Sargent averaged 5.7.
YPG defense rankings
Wisconsin 5
PSU 17
NW 22
Okie 29
TCU 30
Okie St 45
Baylor 49
Nebraska 51
MSU 55
Purdue 57
Texas 64
Minny 72
KSU 97
Tech 99
KU 108
Illinois 114
If our coaches could somehow make the other big ten defenses suck more, that would really help.
YPG defense doesn’t tell you everything. Need to look at defensive efficiency.

Reactions: Jim4edwards
YPG defense rankings
Wisconsin 5
PSU 17
NW 22
Okie 29
TCU 30
Okie St 45
Baylor 49
Nebraska 51
MSU 55
Purdue 57
Texas 64
Minny 72
KSU 97
Tech 99
KU 108
Illinois 114
Purdy throwing 120 more times than Petras...with 4 more games...not sure what you're getting at here lol. He had 4 more games to log pass attempts.

Eli Sanders, although listed as an athlete on 247, is most certainly a running back.

Eli seems to be in love with the Cyclones for some reason
Iowa State is putting offensive skill positions in the NFL recently. Lazard, Montgomery, and soon to be Hall. Running behind Iowa's line should sound like a comforting proposition to most RB recruits but Iowa State has produced tangible pro results too, so Iowa fans should not be surprised if Sanders picks Iowa State. Iowa has a less clear #2 behind Goodson so that could be a positive for Iowa's chances.

Iowa State is putting offensive skill positions in the NFL recently. Lazard, Montgomery, and soon to be Hall. Running behind Iowa's line should sound like a comforting proposition to most RB recruits but Iowa State has produced tangible pro results too, so Iowa fans should not be surprised if Sanders picks Iowa State. Iowa has a less clear #2 behind Goodson so that could be a positive for Iowa's chances.
Their offensive lines are ranked in barely the top 70's. I think the ability of the backs is much better, and at Iowa, I'd be willing to bet they would rack up more yards, unless it is do to their offensive schemes.

I'm also not an Iowa state hater, but Lazard was a 5* guy by many and the top WR in the class. He wasn't even drafted, I think this says alot.

Their offensive lines are ranked in barely the top 70's. I think the ability of the backs is much better, and at Iowa, I'd be willing to bet they would rack up more yards, unless it is do to their offensive schemes.

I'm also not an Iowa state hater, but Lazard was a 5* guy by many and the top WR in the class. He wasn't even drafted, I think this says alot.
Lazard is playing in the NFL though and playing well. I think he wasn't drafted because people thought he was a tweaner but teams obviously made a mistake.

I think that's a fair point but wouldn't you argue that Iowa runningbacks typically far underperformed this past decade for the O-line talent that was there? The scheme and playcalling also dictate the success of the RBs. Only until the past couple years has Iowa gone away from the completely obvious and incorporated different looks with the jet sweeps, wildcat, etc. That's where I want Iowa to continue to adapt because then the offense can be really effective. Iowa State's offense allows its players to make plays in spite of potential weaknesses up front. I guess the point I'm trying to make is both schools can make strong cases for Sanders.

I think that's a fair point but wouldn't you argue that Iowa runningbacks typically far underperformed this past decade for the O-line talent that was there? The scheme and playcalling also dictate the success of the RBs. Only until the past couple years has Iowa gone away from the completely obvious and incorporated different looks with the jet sweeps, wildcat, etc. That's where I want Iowa to continue to adapt because then the offense can be really effective. Iowa State's offense allows its players to make plays in spite of potential weaknesses up front. I guess the point I'm trying to make is both schools can make strong cases for Sanders.
I agree that scheme, "belly left, and belly right" is part of Iowa's primary problem with backs in the past. I don't know that they underperformed though. Look at the guys that excelled, Canzeri was a lowly rated recruit, Wadley wasn't highly rated. Wegher was in the league after all of his personal problems, and I think had stuff not hit the fan with Coker it would have been similar. Goodson will be the deal breaker IMO, I think he makes the league with his speed.

With that said, if I'm a running back, I'm not looking at Iowa State because of their offensive line.

Lazard is playing in the NFL though and playing well. I think he wasn't drafted because people thought he was a tweaner but teams obviously made a mistake.
Lazard is 6'5" and ran a 4.55 40 time at the combine. He did not have great hands, especially when it counted. Many of these are developmental traits, that he has sured up now in the league, but reports of senior bowl practices would indicate differently.

1/12 update: Looks like Auburn just offered Hunter, might be tough to pull this kid out of SEC country even if Iowa is interested/offers...

Another name at RB....3 star RB Jarquez Hunter from Mississippi hearing from Iowa. I count at least 4-5 names at RB so contingency plans definitely in place...are we up to take more than 1 RB? He has offers from Ole Miss, MS State and Tennessee.

Update: just watched a few highlights....WOW! Not sure of competition size, however he has game breaking speed...highlight#1 runs a kid down to make a tackle with a 10-15 yard head start...my goodness. Runs angry like another former Hawk RB, Jewel Hampton.

Video

Last edited:
Right.

To be fair, I'm pretty sure Iowa was 2nd in the B1G in scoring this year only behind Ohio State.

Looks like Iowa has a few other RBs it is courting in the event (likelihood?) that Sanders doesn't commit.

Another name at RB....3 star RB Jarquez Hunter from Mississippi hearing from Iowa. I count at least 4-5 names at RB so contingency plans definitely in place...are we up to take more than 1 RB? He has offers from Ole Miss, MS State and Tennessee.

Update: just watched a few highlights....WOW! Not sure of competition size, however he has game breaking speed...highlight#1 runs a kid down to make a tackle with a 10-15 yard head start...my goodness. Runs angry like another former Hawk RB, Jewel Hampton.

Video

Awesome posts.

I watched his tape and wow. Akrum Wadley moves with lesser Tavian Banks speed. Me likey.
I wanted to make the same comparison (Wadley) but hesitated typing that name given all that happened in 2020. But yes, he has wiggle and probably speed on par (or maybe faster than Goodson). As I said above, he has a few SEC offers (now including Auburn) so might be tough to pull out of there even if we offer (and we might have 3 RB's higher on the big board right now).

Reactions: Franisdaman
ADVERTISEMENT