ADVERTISEMENT

Cutting jobless benefits didn't work in Missouri, either.

Huey Grey

HR King
Jan 15, 2013
It continues to blow my mind that Republicans did this. Leave billions on the table all of spite. And in the meantime, all the Democratic lead states raked it in. Stupid stupid stupid.

It is stupid. Rs promised that cutting bennies would force people into work. It didn't. It was a misguided notion that had less to do with reality and more to do with wanting to stick it to working class people and denying Biden any sort of wins.

Well, I was in favor of them cutting unemployment benefits. Why should the federal government continue to shell out that kind of money for people fully capable of working?

Because the pandemic upended the whole job market and trying to force the wrong jobs onto workers is a sure fire way of making things even worse.

Oh bullshit.

Right now, you can practically get any job you want, EVERYWHERE is looking.

No one is forcing anyone to get a job, but I fail see why the government should have to pay the way, especially as hot as the market is right now

I just got off the phone with a guy in CB who is offering 18 dollars an hour, plus a kicker for appointments set, to people with zero liscencing and letting them work from home and the 3rd person in the last 2 months just left for another job. (Benefits) if you can't find a job right now you are not looking.

Im getting tired of seeing KCRG’s spotlights of employers who are complaining about having trouble finding employees since Kimmie solved that problem a few weeks ago.

At least i havent heard of anybody doing the “wOnT sUmBoDy ThInK oF tHe FaSt FuUd JoInTz” schtick as I dont feel sorry for an industry whose workers have repeatedly been told for years that those jobs aren’t meant to support a family/its a job for college, high school kids for spending money etc when they have a hard time hiring people

Reactions: Moral
Oh bullshit.

Right now, you can practically get any job you want, EVERYWHERE is looking.

No one is forcing anyone to get a job, but I fail see why the government should have to pay the way, especially as hot as the market is right now
Lol. Clearly you have no idea how jobs work. Each worker has a specific skillset and specific hours and locations that they can work out of. Finding suitable jobs to fulfill these requirements takes time. If you try shoehorning a worker into a job they aren't suited for, they will wind up leaving it. And then you will have wasted everyone's time and resources.

And once again, the reason why we need extra benefits is because the entire job market was upended due to covid. This is just a measure to give help to those who have been affected.

Lol. Clearly you have no idea how jobs work. Each worker has a specific skillset and specific hours and locations that they can work out of. Finding suitable jobs to fulfill these requirements takes time. If you try shoehorning a worker into a job they aren't suited for, they will wind up leaving it. And then you will have wasted everyone's time and resources.

And once again, the reason why we need extra benefits is because the entire job market was upended due to covid. This is just a measure to give help to those who have been affected.

I have been in charge of hiring at my company for years, so yes I do have an idea how jobs work.

From Janitor, to CEO, Everywhere is looking for people, if you can't find a job that fits your skill level, you're not trying.

I have been in charge of hiring at my company for years, so yes I do have an idea how jobs work.

From Janitor, to CEO, Everywhere is looking for people, if you can't find a job that fits your skill level, you're not trying.
Then you should know better than anyone that filling positions with workers who will last takes time. 10 million people lost their jobs. Finding replacement jobs won't happen overnight. Our work economy has been vastly restructured. Thinking that the market can fix this in just a few weeks is absurd. This is why we need the benefits. They buy time for those who have to restructure.

Well, I was in favor of them cutting unemployment benefits. Why should the federal government continue to shell out that kind of money for people fully capable of working?
It's money going to regular people who are going to spend it and put it back into the economy, this isn't hard. And as the statistics show, cutting it off has little or no effect on the job market.

I continue to be blown away by people who get angry about money going to regular middle and lower income type people while they ignore the government money cannon that showers the rich and powerful endlessly with goodies.

It's money going to regular people who are going to spend it and put it back into the economy, this isn't hard. And as the statistics show, cutting it off has little or no effect on the job market.

I continue to be blown away by people who get angry about money going to regular middle and lower income type people while they ignore the government money cannon that showers the rich and powerful endlessly with goodies.

I'm not angry and am not in favor of corporate welfare. I'm all for boosting the middle class. It sounds like what you're proposing is UBI. Is that it?

Reactions: l.todd
So, what's your proposal? When should federal unemployment benefits end?
No clue. I just know that cutting them off like Reynolds has is like cutting off Iowa's nose to spite our faces. It cost us some $300 million, not to mention made it way harder for workers still trying to find the right fit to make ends meet. And that hurts all of us. Now landlords can't depend on their tenants to make rent, bills won't get paid, and food won't get put on the tables. Just a horrible horrible decision.

Reactions: sob5 and ping72

And, because of that, lots of people are vying for the best jobs. Places that are having trouble hiring now are not attractive places to work and will have to wait for the better jobs to make their picks first.

I'm not angry and am not in favor of corporate welfare. I'm all for boosting the middle class. It sounds like what you're proposing is UBI. Is that it?
I would be fine with a modified version that would be affordable but that I'm sure nobody would support. I would provide UBI to people with no income or low income up to the point where they would receive the equivalent of a living wage. But I think you would have to couple that by jacking up the minimum wage to $15.00 an hour because otherwise it would just be another subsidy for corporations who don't pay their employees appropriately. And like I said, I know it's never going to happen anyway.

I am really happy about the new child care credit/payments, I think that it at least to a certain extent provides a UBI for children, the most vulnerable people in the population.

These things weren’t just about jobs. How many additional jobs were saved because businesses stayed open because unemployed people still had money?

People get so pissed about a few people loafing off the government that they don’t think about all the good hardworking people that get screwed trying to punish others.

If people stop getting this money, the entire economy suffers.

So if a person has a specific skill set and specific hours and locations that they are unable to find a job with how long should they be allowed to suck off they governments teat? Alot of jobs are available that really require 2 skill sets. The ability to show up to work and the ability to put in the time.

Then you should know better than anyone that filling positions with workers who will last takes time. 10 million people lost their jobs. Finding replacement jobs won't happen overnight. Our work economy has been vastly restructured. Thinking that the market can fix this in just a few weeks is absurd. This is why we need the benefits. They buy time for those who have to restructure.
But how much time is enough?

Look, you and I can agree to disagree,.

What I can tell from my experiences, once the benefits were announced that they were ended, we were FLOODED with applications, and I have since found 4 employees, who appear will work out.

I cannot understate how critical this employee shortage is right now, I know everyone likes to think it's just restaurants, but it's so much more than that. Manufacturing, transportation, construction, EVERYWHERE is short handed, and it's going to create massive product shortages nation wide, shortly.

We have to figure out a way to resolve this, one way or another.

These things weren’t just about jobs. How many additional jobs were saved because businesses stayed open because unemployed people still had money?

People get so pissed about a few people loafing off the government that they don’t think about all the good hardworking people that get screwed trying to punish others.

If people stop getting this money, the entire economy suffers.
Yet Democrats want to brag how great the recovery is. You can't have it both ways.

• Haha
Reactions: sob5
All this shows is that many people made out so well with extra bennys that they are not in any great hurry to get back to the grind. I mean, what do you want to do, keep on showering them w cash indefinitely while they wait for their "dream job"? I got news for ya, most people are slaving away at jobs they cant stand. Why should these people be any different? I mean if we all had the perfect work situation there would be many many jobs that would never get filled...

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
But how much time is enough?
A few weeks sure isn't enough. Things really didn't start opening up in Iowa until May. And almost instantly, Reynolds announces an end to benefits. Certainly more than 3-4 weeks is warranted.

All this shows is that many people made out so well with extra bennys that they are not in any great hurry to get back to the grind. I mean, what do you want to do, keep on showering them w cash indefinitely while they wait for their "dream job"? I got news for ya, most people are slaving away at jobs they cant stand. Why should these people be any different? I mean if we all had the perfect work situation there would be many many jobs that would never get filled...
Indefinitely? Reynolds gave people like 3 weeks after we reopened. Thats completely unreasonable.

Indefinitely? Reynolds gave people like 3 weeks after we reopened. Thats completely unreasonable.

Stop.

Reynolds lifted the mask mandate and most restrictions in the beginning of Feb.

MOST everything has been open for 3-6 months.

Published: Feb. 5, 2021 at 4:37 PM CST

DES MOINES, Iowa (KCRG) - Iowa Governor Kim Reynolds signed a new public health proclamation on Friday rolling back all COVID restrictions on Iowa businesses.

Reactions: sob5 and RileyHawk

This is silly. Many employees have no specific skillset, flexible hours and locations. They are not trained to any high degree of specialty in anything, have the ability to quickly learn a new job, have the flexibility to work different hours if they need to pay the bills and can either work multiple locations near their residence or have the flexibility to leave. What you are saying is that someone who is a stocker at a local Wal-Mart, at night because he likes to sleep in late, and in Dubuque because, well, that's where he grew up and where his buds are, should be paid to not work until he finds another stocking job at Wal-Mart (because that's his skillset and he knows the layout of Wal-Marts), at night (those are the specific hours he can work, because, you know, he likes to sleep late) and in Dubuque (cuz, you know, that's where his buds are). Capitalism is a system of creative destruction. It is absolutely necessary for progress (you know, the root word of Progressive) in an economy. Otherwise, you end up with gray haired 50 year old women in babushkas waiting an hour to buy stale bread at a local shop. I don't know how old you are Huey, but if you are old enough, you saw it in the Eastern Bloc. Lots of stablehands lost their jobs when we made the transition from horses to the automobile. If we followed your thinking, they would still be shoveling shit in a stable instead of enjoying high paid jobs as mechanics.

Thanks for missing the point.

Most business's in Iowa have been open for MONTHS, not weeks like you're saying.
At least where I live, it’s only been in the past month or so that local businesses really started fully reopening, regardless of whenever Kim decreed.

I agree. However, it also happens that the majority of employers "bitching" about not finding employees have one of the 3 traits:

1) they pay like shit compared to others
2) they treat their employees like shit
3) they are located in a rural area

I am a manager and I hire. My wife (no pic) is in HR. Neither of us are having trouble finding qualified employees.

Look, you and I can agree to disagree,.

What I can tell from my experiences, once the benefits were announced that they were ended, we were FLOODED with applications, and I have since found 4 employees, who appear will work out.

I cannot understate how critical this employee shortage is right now, I know everyone likes to think it's just restaurants, but it's so much more than that. Manufacturing, transportation, construction, EVERYWHERE is short handed, and it's going to create massive product shortages nation wide, shortly.

We have to figure out a way to resolve this, one way or another.
Well - it's over now. Right? :rolleyes:

Reactions: srams21
A month so that's 20 business days to find a job. You could apply to maybe 10 jobs a day. That's 200 jobs. I think that's enough time.
Kinda depends on the career doesn’t it?

I realize to an extent you can only look for so long before you should take something, if only as a short term solution until you find something better.

I get what you’re saying, but I hope you can also see that it’s really hard to find job in your chosen profession, especially if relocating might be necessary.

Kinda depends on the career doesn’t it?

I realize to an extent you can only look for so long before you should take something, if only as a short term solution until you find something better.

I get what you’re saying, but I hope you can also see that it’s really hard to find job in your chosen profession, especially if relocating might be necessary.
I get what your saying but should your inability to find something in your chosen profession be your tax paying neighbors burden. I don't think the constitution gives you the right to only work in your chosen profession.

I get what your saying but should your inability to find something in your chosen profession be your tax paying neighbors burden. I don't think the constitution gives you the right to only work in your chosen profession.
And as a short term solution you’re not wrong. But there’s also only limited evidence to suggest that people are willfully turning down job offers at every term.

the pandemic changed a lot about how we view working. Some found they prefer working from home, others (including me) can’t wait to go back to the actual office. companies in various industries are still figuring things out in this regard, among many other factors of course.

it just seems like there’s a large segment of the population that thought we would quickly and easily return to what life was before 2020. But “normal” has changed, and we’re still figuring that out. I expect we will get there over time, it just won’t be as quick or painless as everyone wants it to be.

Reactions: RileyHawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT