ADVERTISEMENT

Cutting jobless benefits didn't work in Missouri, either.

I agree. However, it also happens that the majority of employers "bitching" about not finding employees have one of the 3 traits:

1) they pay like shit compared to others
2) they treat their employees like shit
3) they are located in a rural area

I am a manager and I hire. My wife (no pic) is in HR. Neither of us are having trouble finding qualified employees.

video of wife considering a potential employee's package?

And as a short term solution you’re not wrong. But there’s also only limited evidence to suggest that people are willfully turning down job offers at every term.

the pandemic changed a lot about how we view working. Some found they prefer working from home, others (including me) can’t wait to go back to the actual office. companies in various industries are still figuring things out in this regard, among many other factors of course.

it just seems like there’s a large segment of the population that thought we would quickly and easily return to what life was before 2020. But “normal” has changed, and we’re still figuring that out. I expect we will get there over time, it just won’t be as quick or painless as everyone wants it to be.
Ok but the federal benefits are due to run out in a few months anyway. I don't think the kind of change you are hoping for will happen in a few months either. So we're just speeding up people's inevitable entry back into to the work force.

Ok but the federal benefits are due to run out in a few months anyway. I don't think the kind of change you are hoping for will happen in a few months either. So we're just speeding up people's inevitable entry back into to the work force.
Or we are possibly trying to force something to happen when there are many other factors at play as well.

Reactions: RileyHawk
Lol. Clearly you have no idea how jobs work. Each worker has a specific skillset and specific hours and locations that they can work out of. Finding suitable jobs to fulfill these requirements takes time. If you try shoehorning a worker into a job they aren't suited for, they will wind up leaving it. And then you will have wasted everyone's time and resources.

And once again, the reason why we need extra benefits is because the entire job market was upended due to covid. This is just a measure to give help to those who have been affected.
Imagine actually thinking this is right

Lol. Clearly you have no idea how jobs work. Each worker has a specific skillset and specific hours and locations that they can work out of. Finding suitable jobs to fulfill these requirements takes time. If you try shoehorning a worker into a job they aren't suited for, they will wind up leaving it. And then you will have wasted everyone's time and resources.

And once again, the reason why we need extra benefits is because the entire job market was upended due to covid. This is just a measure to give help to those who have been affected.
What are you talking about? The job market has recovered in Iowa. We can’t fill jobs and many left the job market altogether. Also, people have to make sacrifices every day to find work which includes not working your preferred hours, working outside your skills etc. If there are more jobs than people to fill them then no money is needed for those who choose not to work.

And yes people take jobs just to make money until something they really want opens up or to transfer within the company they’re working in. I know, I’ve made plenty of sacrifices to get where I am and plenty of my friends have, too.

A few weeks sure isn't enough. Things really didn't start opening up in Iowa until May. And almost instantly, Reynolds announces an end to benefits. Certainly more than 3-4 weeks is warranted.
Iowa didn’t open up until May? In what universe?

I agree. However, it also happens that the majority of employers "bitching" about not finding employees have one of the 3 traits:

1) they pay like shit compared to others
2) they treat their employees like shit
3) they are located in a rural area

I am a manager and I hire. My wife (no pic) is in HR. Neither of us are having trouble finding qualified employees.
This is wrong. Manufacturing companies are having a hard time. Our minimum is $16/hour just for assembly, shipping, receiving, warehouse, higher for jobs with skills needed , machining, weld etc., great benefits, opportunity for advancement. Benefits include $30k undergrad and another $30k masters, 401k matching and contributions (match, safe harbor, deferred profit sharing) has been 10%+ every year.

We’re trying to hit record production rates but hard to when we can’t hire enough people and suppliers can’t either so struggling to get parts. Heck temps are starting at $15.25 minimum and are being converted quickly if they show they can show up every day.

A few weeks sure isn't enough. Things really didn't start opening up in Iowa until May. And almost instantly, Reynolds announces an end to benefits. Certainly more than 3-4 weeks is warranted.
6-9 months isn’t enough when many haven’t had to pay rent, maybe some utilities, federal student loans paused etc.

This is wrong. Manufacturing companies are having a hard time. Our minimum is $16/hour just for assembly, shipping, receiving, warehouse, higher for jobs with skills needed , machining, weld etc., great benefits, opportunity for advancement. Benefits include $30k undergrad and another $30k masters, 401k matching and contributions (match, safe harbor, deferred profit sharing) has been 10%+ every year.

We’re trying to hit record production rates but hard to when we can’t hire enough people and suppliers can’t either so struggling to get parts. Heck temps are starting at $15.25 minimum and are being converted quickly if they show they can show up every day.
Apparently those jobs are not attractive. BTW, there's more to a job than just the pay and benefits. Other employers know this and use it to attract employees to their positions. You'll likely get workers after they've been picked over by other firms.

Apparently those jobs are not attractive. BTW, there's more to a job than just the pay and benefits. Other employers know this and use it to attract employees to their positions. You'll likely get workers after they've been picked over by other firms.
Wait I thought we were talking about taking unemployment benefits away. You know pay for not working? But yes there’s more to it than compensation, however, people have to make sacrifices to get where they want to be and not expect to have everything handed to them. I know society tells us know to cry, complain and take it to social media until we get our way, but it has to stop with each individual person.

So my theory holds up.

My wife works in HR in a manufacturing business based in Wisconsin. The minimum pay for those positions you listed off at her employer was $20/hr and just bumped up to $22. Looks like your employer is under option 1 that I spelled out.

So my theory holds up.

My wife works in HR in a manufacturing business based in Wisconsin. The minimum pay for those positions you listed off at her employer was $20/hr and just bumped up to $22. Looks like your employer is under option 1 that I spelled out.
Well some of the positions pay over $20. Also, we aren’t in the same geographic area so there will be a difference in pay. And if you think that’s crappy pay for that type of job then you may have your priorities mixed up just like those who would rather sit at home then work for that pay especially with the extra benefits enabling those to improve their positions.

• Haha
Well some of the positions pay over $20. Also, we aren’t in the same geographic area so there will be a difference in pay. And if you think that’s crappy pay for that type of job then you may have your priorities mixed up just like those who would rather sit at home then work for that pay especially with the extra benefits enabling those to improve their positions.
This is where you don't get it. I don't determine what is crappy pay. The market dictates that. If two companies across the street from you pay $5 more an hour for the same position, then you pay "crappy" compared to the market.

Does your organization do a market wage analysis on an annual basis? In these times, it needs to be done even more frequently.

This is where you don't get it. I don't determine what is crappy pay. The market dictates that. If two companies across the street from you pay $5 more an hour for the same position, then you pay "crappy" compared to the market.

Does your organization do a market wage analysis on an annual basis? In these times, it needs to be done even more frequently.
Yes, we’re above what our ‘competitors’ in the area pay. The market research and inability to find good employees is what led to the increase and faster conversion for temp employees.

With current pay and OT full-time employees are making well over $40k plus 8-10% deferred profit sharing and safe harbor, more with company match if you contribute. Plus if you want to go to school $30k for undergrad then another $30k for master program if you want. Not too mention good medical, dental, vision as we’re combined with parent company. Want to be a welder, we’ll start you on a robot and train for manual weld. Machining, we’ll pay for your training.

Yes, we’re above what our ‘competitors’ in the area pay. The market research and inability to find good employees is what led to the increase and faster conversion for temp employees.
$16 an hour to start is above the market area for starting assembly jobs? Every sign I see around Eastern Iowa shows me about $20/hr. I think you are below and you don't even realize it. Hence why you can't find people.

This is a great narrative for folks on “ the right”...people choosing not to work while getting paid well for doing so while the poor American businessman can’t get help...but I think there is a lot more to this than what anyone wants to admit. There are a lot of “shit jobs” that are not getting filled now...and there was a large shortage of “skilled labor” for those jobs long before the pandemic....at least here in Iowa. The last 15 months have given a lot of folks opportunity to think about how much work is needed to survive and how much is a dual income/ second job affordable once the costs of child care and transportation is figured into the equation. Folks a making value judgements all the time...and maybe some are figuring it just ain’t worth it!

Christ on a stick, do you people just wake up everyday and think "I'm going to make a thread so I can argue with people on the Hawkeye Rivals off topic board" just for shits and giggles? Does this ever get tiring folks? Shut the god damn phuck up, all of you and get a fuggin life.

Reactions: mauricehawki
6-9 months isn’t enough when many haven’t had to pay rent, maybe some utilities, federal student loans paused etc.
I hope your not serious that anyone should be on unemployment for longer than 6-9 months in the current job market. SMFH

It is stupid. Rs promised that cutting bennies would force people into work. It didn't. It was a misguided notion that had less to do with reality and more to do with wanting to stick it to working class people and denying Biden any sort of wins.
You don't force people into work. Care to make another stupid statement.

It is stupid. Rs promised that cutting bennies would force people into work. It didn't. It was a misguided notion that had less to do with reality and more to do with wanting to stick it to working class people and denying Biden any sort of wins.
They haven’t stopped collecting checks yet, have they? I thought most were gonna stop in July.

Reactions: Gimmered
$16 an hour to start is above the market area for starting assembly jobs? Every sign I see around Eastern Iowa shows me about $20/hr. I think you are below and you don't even realize it. Hence why you can't find people.
For example in our immediate area of Muscatine? I already know not many will drive from QC, IC etc. for hourly jobs.

• Haha
The best baseball stadium in the world resides in Kansas City, Missouri. So, they did one think correctly, and the KC BBQ joints!
Ok, I will give you those. My bad. That said, I would like to deliver 10 knuckle sandwiches to whoever the asshole is that plans infrastructure projects in KCMO. It's insane. I will never understand how two states that share a border can handle some things so dramatically different.

Last edited:
If people don't want to take available jobs, in my opinion they shouldn't get ANYTHING much less a bonus. Get to work and off the public teet. Not surprising the gay confederate supports lazy stiffs.

Ok, I will give you those. My bad. That said, I would like to deliver 10 knuckle sandwiches to whoever the asshole is that plans infrastructure projects in KCMO. It's insane. I will never understand how two states that share a border can handle some things so dramatically different.

Lolz It's always a cluster fock!

Reactions: jasonrann
On the Kansas side, they take a couple major projects and just knock them out without a lot of interruption. In Missouri, they'll take 15 projects stretching resources over all of them at the same time. They take FOREVER. Absolutely maddening. Downtown is a maze of one lane streets right now.

That's ridiculous. I want to get down there for a game sometime this year.

Reactions: jasonrann
This is a great narrative for folks on “ the right”...people choosing not to work while getting paid well for doing so while the poor American businessman can’t get help...but I think there is a lot more to this than what anyone wants to admit. There are a lot of “shit jobs” that are not getting filled now...and there was a large shortage of “skilled labor” for those jobs long before the pandemic....at least here in Iowa. The last 15 months have given a lot of folks opportunity to think about how much work is needed to survive and how much is a dual income/ second job affordable once the costs of child care and transportation is figured into the equation. Folks a making value judgements all the time...and maybe some are figuring it just ain’t worth it!
So society should just pay them to stay home and get a free ride?

So society should just pay them to stay home and get a free ride?

Why do you assume it’s society? The post the other day showed graphs where in states that stopped benefits only about 1000/state then went and found jobs.

I think a lot of people saw what life was like without the work grind/commute, loved it, and are finding other ways to get by: doing with less, starting their own business, onlyfans, whatever.

I think a lot of people also realized after you take out costs for childcare, gas, etc... that they weren’t making that much. I think the shift to fewer families with both parents working isn’t going to revert any time soon.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT