ADVERTISEMENT

D1Baseball.com Weekly Chat - Week #6 (3/25)

Alum-Ni

HR Legend
Aug 29, 2004

Posting any Big Ten or nationally relevant topics

Erik: Has anybody tried unplugging Indiana and plugging them back in? It's a rough go in Bloomington right now.

Kendall Rogers: Erick -- It has been mind blowing to see what Indiana was the first couple of weeks, particularly at Coastal Carolina, and what the Hoosiers are right now. Outside of a couple of one offs, their pitching staff has been atrocious. I think it was Joe or Rooms who said it earlier this year, but they at the time were curious to see how IU would respond from losing Luke Sinnard for the year. Obviously not very well. With an RPI in the triple digits, it's must-win time (already) for the Hoosiers.

-------------------------------------------------

Hog Fan: At this stage of the season, what team do you think is most likely to end up as the #1 overall seed? Considering the remaining schedules, I would think it's possibly Oregon State, followed by Clemson, and then whoever emerges as SEC regular season champion.

Aaron Fitt: I still think it's Arkansas. Even though you're absolutely right that the SEC is so rugged that nobody runs the table, I just think Arkansas' pitching is so elite that they will be able to handle that meat-grinder better than most. I seem them winning that league, maybe even comfortably, and winding up as the No. 1 national seed. But Oregon State and Clemson do feel like the next two likeliest. The Beavers are going to run roughshod through the Pac-12, but the Pac is so down this year that that won't carry as much weight as winning the SEC, even with a lesser conference record. And I think we'll see a lot of teams going back and forth in the ACC all year long; I do really like Clemson, but I don't see them running away with that league. Too many good teams.

Ben: Hello gentlemen! I assume it's not something y'all track, but 12 of your top 25 teams losing weekend series has to be close to a record! Is this a sign of things to come in June? A not top heavy, topsy-turvy, wide open tournament? Thanks!

Aaron Fitt: Yeah that's a lot of carnage! And I do think it's indicative of the state of college baseball this year -- a lot of parity, a lot of good but flawed teams, very few truly elite teams. It's just so hard to pitch in college baseball in this current environment, that teams that have truly elite pitching like Wake Forest and LSU had last year, and like Arkansas has this year, really stand out. But does anybody except Arkansas have elite pitching this year?

Rob S: Where did Nebraska fall this time around for you? And what do you think of their odds in the Big Ten or as an at-large this season?

Aaron Fitt: Once again, Nebraska was just right on the cusp of the Top 25, we talked about them at length. It's just a matter of other teams had louder weekends against better competition, so they jumped over the Huskers. But that team has been very consistent against a solid schedule, we are all impressed with the body of work. And given where they are currently in the top 10 of the RPI, it definitely feels like they're starting from a position of strength when it comes to earning an at-large bid. I like their chances.

Guest: What is your latest take on the Iowa Hawkeyes, and B1G in general?

Kendall Rogers: Guest -- was good to see the Hawkeyes shake off Brecht's first loss and come back and win the series, but they've got to get a lot better across the board to potentially make a run at the tournament. Right now, the postseason contenders for me are Nebraska, Maryland and Rutgers with Iowa the other team. Illinois picked up a nice series win over Indiana this past weekend, but its RPI is well into the triple digits.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT