ADVERTISEMENT

D3 or D2 Baseball

obfuscating

HR Heisman
Jan 8, 2016
Our son has a lot of interest from a couple really good D3 schools, and a couple of average\good D2 school. Prices are about negligible in difference.

We are letting him make the decision as to where to go but really wondering which is the better direction for him. He has visited the campuses, likes them all, likes the coaches, facilities at the D2 schools are a bit better then D3 (expected though).

Our son has a lot of interest from a couple really good D3 schools, and a couple of average\good D2 school. Prices are about negligible in difference.

We are letting him make the decision as to where to go but really wondering which is the better direction for him. He has visited the campuses, likes them all, likes the coaches, facilities at the D2 schools are a bit better then D3 (expected though).

That's a tough question. I know coaches at each level who I would send my non-existent son to play for in a heart beat. Often, D3 schools are tuition driven, and the bottom half of the roster is composed of kids who may not be up to snuff but are paying to play baseball.

I would focus on career outcomes for recent graduates. Private schools lend well to graduate school depending on what your son intends on studying. A D2 university can offer more fields of study and often better business programming.

If you look at a purely baseball perspective, I would go D2. Likely less for institution and the competition is better.

Reactions: obfuscating
That's a tough question. I know coaches at each level who I would send my non-existent son to play for in a heart beat. Often, D3 schools are tuition driven, and the bottom half of the roster is composed of kids who may not be up to snuff but are paying to play baseball.

I would focus on career outcomes for recent graduates. Private schools lend well to graduate school depending on what your son intends on studying. A D2 university can offer more fields of study and often better business programming.

If you look at a purely baseball perspective, I would go D2. Likely less for institution and the competition is better.
Competition was one of my son's concerns, the D3 schools made the playoffs last year, the D2 schools two are "elite" recruiters and one slightly lower. IMHO our son would have to RS at the D2 school (which he is fine with) and the D3 he would stand a chance at being in the rotation for relief in year 1.

Competition was one of my son's concerns, the D3 schools made the playoffs last year, the D2 schools two are "elite" recruiters and one slightly lower. IMHO our son would have to RS at the D2 school (which he is fine with) and the D3 he would stand a chance at being in the rotation for relief in year 1.

That makes it even tougher. More often, graduates at private, D3 schools finish in four years at nearly double the rate of larger universities. While tuition may be higher, you have a chance of saving a year’s tuition with a smaller school.

That makes it even tougher. More often, graduates at private, D3 schools finish in four years at nearly double the rate of larger universities. While tuition may be higher, you have a chance of saving a year’s tuition with a smaller school.
Keep going young Skywalker.......

There are a few more questions I'd like to see you ask.

Let's see if I can solve @non-poster 's riddle through this question:

What's the financial aid package at the D3 school look like compared to the financial aid package from the D2 programs look like? Comparable?
Annual cost of all schools is within 1k of each other. Also, our son will be participating in ROTC...he wants to serve when done with college.

Good to see you have a sense of humor OB.

It sounds like your son has a choice, which is always a good thing and could give you some leverage (provided you use it in a positive manner). In the interest of keeping private things private, if you are really looking for advice feel free to hit me up in the conversations folder.

Annual cost of all schools is within 1k of each other. Also, our son will be participating in ROTC...he wants to serve when done with college.
At the end of the day they have to answer the question, what school would you be happier at if you took baseball out of the equation? Too many things can happen that can change how baseball goes, getting recruited over, injuries and coaching changes.

At the end of the day they have to answer the question, what school would you be happier at if you took baseball out of the equation? Too many things can happen that can change how baseball goes, getting recruited over, injuries and coaching changes.

To me this is the answer. My older son played D3 in Wisconsin in the WIAC conference. Extremely competitive D3 conference. Before he chose he told us that exact thing. He said it was the best fit even if baseball ended. He ended up doing some engineering co-ops after his sophomore year and that was the end of baseball. He has never regretted making the decision based on the school.

To me this is the answer. My older son played D3 in Wisconsin in the WIAC conference. Extremely competitive D3 conference. Before he chose he told us that exact thing. He said it was the best fit even if baseball ended. He ended up doing some engineering co-ops after his sophomore year and that was the end of baseball. He has never regretted making the decision based on the school.

Because I’m a loser, I thought of this thread tonight on my run and specifically thought of the advantage WIAC schools have over many of their D3 peers- tuition is low no matter the aid package.

Reactions: hersh236
Your son sounds wise beyond his years. Only a fraction of even the nation's best college players ever suit up beyond the minor league A level.

When I talk to a recruit, the first thing I ask them is ""why" they want to play. "Where" they want to play should be based upon the "why". Too many kids/parents have unrealistic fantasies about signing a million dollar contract and being inducted into the hall of fame.

As mentioned above, I ask them what they would do if they suffered a career ending injury. Would the school still hold interest for you? Wherever you play, whatever level you play at, you are trading 4 years of your life for it. In return the school is trading 4 years of both athletic and academic resources for you. A responsible student-athlete should take advantage of both. Not to do so, shortchanges both the institution and themselves.

If you don't mind me asking, what school did your son play for? It's been a few seasons since I was up that way. Copeland Park at UW-Lacrosse is a great facility.

Reactions: hersh236 and mehawk
Because I’m a loser, I thought of this thread tonight on my run and specifically thought of the advantage WIAC schools have over many of their D3 peers- tuition is low no matter the aid package.
Yeah D3 tuition is NOT cheap... but having other schools in the mix has helped to make the bidding competitive...

Reactions: 2bagger22
He narrowed it down to the schools (as you all stated) he could see himself at "if" baseball were taken out of the picture (and a couple coaches stated this due to their experience in losing players for various reasons). We (his mom and I - no pic) have tried our best to be supportive without trying to direct. Of course being closer would give us the chance to see more games, but since he has more skin in this game we are behind his decision, whatever it may be.

Thanks all - will let you know of any progress.

Your son sounds wise beyond his years. Only a fraction of even the nation's best college players ever suit up beyond the minor league A level.

When I talk to a recruit, the first thing I ask them is ""why" they want to play. "Where" they want to play should be based upon the "why". Too many kids/parents have unrealistic fantasies about signing a million dollar contract and being inducted into the hall of fame.

As mentioned above, I ask them what they would do if they suffered a career ending injury. Would the school still hold interest for you? Wherever you play, whatever level you play at, you are trading 4 years of your life for it. In return the school is trading 4 years of both athletic and academic resources for you. A responsible student-athlete should take advantage of both. Not to do so, shortchanges both the institution and themselves.

If you don't mind me asking, what school did your son play for? It's been a few seasons since I was up that way. Copeland Park at UW-Lacrosse is a great facility.
He must have gotten that wisdom from his mother! He was at UW Plattville. Very tough competition when you’re going against the likes of Stevens Point, Whitewater, Lacrosse and Osh Kosh. Whitewater probably had the best facilities that I saw. He said he wouldn’t trade the experience for anything. I think when he decided to end the baseball I missed it more than he did. He was ready to move on to bigger and better.

That was definitely a HUGE benefit. We live in Iowa so he was on their Tri State initiative so the costs were less than The instate schools. The Wisconsin kids could go to these schools for around $10,000 a year which included room and board. So, it kept a lot of the best kids in Wisconsin.

I know most people on here want to post about baseball, and that's fine, but the title is "Sports Catch-all" so I would recommend some indication in the title of a post what sport is being talked about. Good luck to your son.

I know most people on here want to post about baseball, and that's fine, but the title is "Sports Catch-all" so I would recommend some indication in the title of a post what sport is being talked about. Good luck to your son.
Done and thanks.

Well D3 it is. He had some late comers but chose D3 due to their overall package. I emphasized "where can you go to school if baseball is out of the picture" and that narrowed it to two and in talking with the coaches from both, he committed. Hope everyone is safe and thanks for your input.

Well D3 it is. He had some late comers but chose D3 due to their overall package. I emphasized "where can you go to school if baseball is out of the picture" and that narrowed it to two and in talking with the coaches from both, he committed. Hope everyone is safe and thanks for your input.

Awesome! Congrats to him and proud dad. A D3 school in the Upper Midwest?

Congrats and enjoy the ride!! We had a lot of fun going to games, meeting and getting to know the other players and parents. Hope your son enjoys the journey.

Awesome! Congrats to him and proud dad. A D3 school in the Upper Midwest?
Thank you and yes, upper Midwest (it is where most of the schools were that he had interest from). Quincy and Bethel came in a little late to the party, he had it narrowed to 2 others by then. He's worked hard - this season (sr in HS) is still in limbo, at most it will be 1 month of games, but highly unlikely.

ADVERTISEMENT