ADVERTISEMENT

Da Bears found their future QB star!!!! Andy Dalton

Meh. I’m fine with this as a one year deal. So long as they don’t compound this with selling the farm in the draft for a qb.

I never thought Watson was going to happen and never really thought Wilson was on the market either. At this point in time, I don’t think there was any reasonable alternative.

It sounds like they are resigning Germain Ifedi. As long as he doesn’t have to start at tackle, that’s a decent bit of retention.

Meh. I’m fine with this as a one year deal. So long as they don’t compound this with selling the farm in the draft for a qb.

I never thought Watson was going to happen and never really thought Wilson was on the market either. At this point in time, I don’t think there was any reasonable alternative.
Beathard and fix the o line for the next guy

Reactions: mstp1992
Bears thinking they might get Wilson then sign Dalton now know what it’s like to be a Packers fan on draft day when there are good players on the board and they choose another QB to sit behind their HOF QB. Well maybe not having the HOF QB part, but the rest.... 🤣

Beathard and fix the o line for the next guy

I suspect they will looking for a QB in the draft and Dalton will be asked to tutor the new guy. If you’re looking for that plus still contend I’m not sure Beathard is that guy, at least with this coaching staff. Pace and Nagy are very much in win now and chose to go with the “known“ commodity.

Cant say I totally agree, but I get the logic. I’m at least glad they didn’t get fully desperate and trade badly needed draft picks for a QB.

The timing of the signing is very strange. The signing itself is very strange. They’re out on Trent Williams. Re-signing Ifedi is ok. Does any of this help the Bears move closer to a Super Bowl....nope. And they are ranked dead last in cap space...even the Saints are in better shape. On the road to nowhere.

Last edited:
I suspect they will looking for a QB in the draft and Dalton will be asked to tutor the new guy. If you’re looking for that plus still contend I’m not sure Beathard is that guy, at least with this coaching staff. Pace and Nagy are very much in win now and chose to go with the “known“ commodity.

Cant say I totally agree, but I get the logic. I’m at least glad they didn’t get fully desperate and trade badly needed draft picks for a QB.
How does Dalton help them win now? I'm not a Bears fan but I'd rather have Trubisky. Plus, realistically speaking, what QB are you going to get where the Bears are drafting?

I've seen mock drafts that have him going in the middle of the 2nd round. I'll be interested to hear how he looks at his pro day workout.
The analysts I have heard think all 5 qbs will be gone by 15. So many teams have an needs that pick high. Jacksonville, Atlanta, maybe Jets, Carolina, etc

Reactions: Tom Paris

I'm sure the only reason they didn't is Seattle put an end to it. When you don't have any high draft picks, no QB in return, and few skill players that anybody wants, it kind of puts some definite limits on big trades.

Reactions: cigaretteman
How does Dalton help them win now? I'm not a Bears fan but I'd rather have Trubisky. Plus, realistically speaking, what QB are you going to get where the Bears are drafting?

dont worry, I’m not saying I think it does either, but after Jameis re-signed with the Saints, I don’t know that there were any other good options and Dalton probably had the best resume of the other vets available.

I'm sure the only reason they didn't is Seattle put an end to it. When you don't have any high draft picks, no QB in return, and few skill players that anybody wants, it kind of puts some definite limits on big trades.

Reportedly the Bears offered 3 1s, a 3rd and two starters for wilson, and Seattle said no. Personally I don’t think Wilson was ever going to be traded and he and Seattle mend fences in the end, and I have never thought Watson was a possibility for the Bears. Houston appears determined to try and make it work, and I doubt the bears had the draft capital to swing a trade regardless.

so sign Dalton, see if someone falls in the 1st round to 20, personally I think someone will, or see if someone is available later on with upside. Probably the best scenario at this point.

dont worry, I’m not saying I think it does either, but after Jameis re-signed with the Saints, I don’t know that there were any other good options and Dalton probably had the best resume of the other vets available.

Reportedly the Bears offered 3 1s, a 3rd and two starters for wilson, and Seattle said no. Personally I don’t think Wilson was ever going to be traded and he and Seattle mend fences in the end, and I have never thought Watson was a possibility for the Bears. Houston appears determined to try and make it work, and I doubt the bears had the draft capital to swing a trade regardless.

so sign Dalton, see if someone falls in the 1st round to 20, personally I think someone will, or see if someone is available later on with upside. Probably the best scenario at this point.
I think they will make a move into top 10 to get one of the rookies. Don’t know how, but I don’t think Pace will not address qb further than Dalton

Reactions: Tom Paris
I think they will make a move into top 10 to get one of the rookies. Don’t know how, but I don’t think Pace will not address qb further than Dalton

Agreed, he almost has to address the position somewhere. Not sure he trades up for a quarterback though. He is in win now or else mode and he has a lot of holes to fill.

My sports teams are putting in solid efforts to never bring me back to wasting an entire weekend on the couch. Covid forced us to see we could do other things during the weekend. You want to continually put out an Iowa program that doesn't have a realistic shot at winning the conference and is laughable to win the big prize everyone competes for. I have better RoI on my Saturdays. You want to continue to put out a shit product and act like getting your doors blown off in the playoffs is something to be excited about? I have other shit I can do on Sundays. Sports are entertainment and being the bridesmade isn't entertaining year after year.

My sports teams are putting in solid efforts to never bring me back to wasting an entire weekend on the couch. Covid forced us to see we could do other things during the weekend. You want to continually put out an Iowa program that doesn't have a realistic shot at winning the conference and is laughable to win the big prize everyone competes for. I have better RoI on my Saturdays. You want to continue to put out a shit product and act like getting your doors blown off in the playoffs is something to be excited about? I have other shit I can do on Sundays. Sports are entertainment and being the bridesmade isn't entertaining year after year.

Do you view winning and entertainment as the same thing? It seems like you are conflating them, is it on purpose?

Bears wanted a Red Ryder BB gun, but panicked and agreed to a football, now its too late, they are on the slide. Needless to say Andy will NOT be putting anyone's eye out.

Do you view winning and entertainment as the same thing? It seems like you are conflating them, is it on purpose?
Yes. Winning is entertaining. I have zero desire to spend my time/energy/effort to root for the Washington generals. "Fun" left athletics for me during ODP. College made me realize it is no longer a game and you are an entertainer when people pay a gate fee to watch you. Winning=entertainment.

Yes. Winning is entertaining. I have zero desire to spend my time/energy/effort to root for the Washington generals. "Fun" left athletics for me during ODP. College made me realize it is no longer a game and you are an entertainer when people pay a gate fee to watch you. Winning=entertainment.

Have you tried just rooting for whichever team happens to be winning at the moment that you're watching? What about rather than avoiding a team like the Generals, rooting for a team that typically wins? Like Alabama in college football, the Patriots or now Chiefs in the NFL?

I tend to think of winning as more enjoyable, but not necessarily more entertaining. Although, I can certainly understand why you'd want to feel affiliated with a winner.

Have you tried just rooting for whichever team happens to be winning at the moment that you're watching? What about rather than avoiding a team like the Generals, rooting for a team that typically wins? Like Alabama in college football, the Patriots or now Chiefs in the NFL?

I tend to think of winning as more enjoyable, but not necessarily more entertaining. Although, I can certainly understand why you'd want to feel affiliated with a winner.
I would rather spend my time doing something productive for myself and family than switch teams. You cannot fake Fandom.

Bears are making a push to sign Alex Smith.... so they can throw it in the Packers faces that their QB's passed for more yards than Rodgers.

Year
Cmp
Att
Cmp%
Yds
TD
Int
Nick Foles2020 202 31265% 1,852 10 8
Andy Dalton2020 216 33365% 2,170 14 8
Alex Smith2020 168 25267% 1,582 6 8
586 89765% 5,604 30 24
Aaron Rodgers2020 372 5267070% 4,299 48 5

527eit.jpg

I really don’t understand the Bears fans who convinced themselves they were getting Wilson short of selling the farm.

when his agent released that list of four teams and the bears were on it I’ll admit I was intrigued, but it’s like everyone didn’t realize that was not from Wilson directly and he has never expressly demanded a trade. I’m of the opinion that Wilson is in the midst of a power struggle with Carroll but ultimately stays with Seattle.

I really don’t understand the Bears fans who convinced themselves they were getting Wilson short of selling the farm.

when his agent released that list of four teams and the bears were on it I’ll admit I was intrigued, but it’s like everyone didn’t realize that was not from Wilson directly and he has never expressly demanded a trade. I’m of the opinion that Wilson is in the midst of a power struggle with Carroll but ultimately stays with Seattle.
Yep. Supposedly the offer the Bears made involved 3 first round picks and a third round pick with two players. Seattle said no thanks.

It would have to be a hell of an offer. Likely not worth it for the Bears. They still have too many holes to fill.

Yep. Supposedly the offer the Bears made involved 3 first round picks and a third round pick with two players. Seattle said no thanks.

It would have to be a hell of an offer. Likely not worth it for the Bears. They still have too many holes to fill.
the idea that they would trade that much for one player, shows me how effing stupid Pace is.

the idea that they would trade that much for one player, shows me how effing stupid Pace is.
The Bears have been trying to find a QB for eternity. They clearly are incapable so if you can’t find one in draft you need to buy one.

I’m not upset that the Bears didn’t get Wilson or Watson.

It’s that this move doesn’t address any needs. Like, at all. And we’re overpaying to boot. Le sigh...

Reactions: srams21
$10 million for Dalton + $6.6 million for Foles = $16.6 million

On the bright side, that's basically what we paid Mike Glennon in 2017. And we're way below the league average for QB salary, which leaves more money to spread around on the OLine and Defense.

On the down side, we have 2 very average QB's with limited upside. Barring another move at QB, 8-8 is pretty much the ceiling for the Bears next year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT