ADVERTISEMENT

Dakota Geer

WEH8ST8HAWK

HR All-American
Jan 31, 2004
Transferring to Okie State. Great pickup for them. Would have been a great fit in Iowa City as I don't see $ getting it done for us.

In other Edinboro transfer news, Sean Russell is going to Minnesota.

Gives them something like..
125-Russell
133- Lizak
141- McKee
149- Thorn
157- Bleise

In other Edinboro transfer news, Sean Russell is going to Minnesota.

Gives them something like..
125-Russell
133- Lizak
141- McKee
149- Thorn
157- Bleise
If Brolsma wins the 165 spot that would give them a full half of their lineup bumping up a weight. Can anyone recall anything close to that for one team all at once to start a season?

What are basing this on? I don’t see Geer’s results to date as much better than $. Seems like a R12 guy, just like $. But I also want to see 184 Wilke, which may prove to be better than Geer.
This. Geer has potential but he may or may not turn into anything worth while. I would expect him a Wilcke to be pretty close moving forward.

As solid as he is, he could very well end up having to sit for a bit just like Geo.

If Joe Smith goes 165, you will inevitably see either Rogers or, more likely, Jacobe Smith up at 184. It's a good situation to have, but it is no guarantee that Geer even cracks the starting lineup.

OkState is shaping up to have yet another 10 top 10ish type guys, but only 1 true Finalist candidate. I could see them taking 9-5th/6ths and 1-1st/2nd.

125: Picc-5th/6th With NaTo/Cruz gone and Suriano/Lizak moving up, He should make the podium.
133: Fix-1st/2nd He is their 1 true Finalist contender. 125 may be better for him, but 133 is better for the team.
141: Brock-5th/6th He may be the most offensive guy on the team, but wrestles soft. Not sure going up will help.
149: Lewallen-5th/6th 149 thins out and he should move up a bit.
157: Geo-5th/6th He is probably the 2nd least likely to AA, but he has done it in the past.
165: Smith-5th/6th He wrestled a lot like Brock. Talented, but a bit soft. 165 is anything but soft.
174: Rogers-5th/6th Up a weight he isn't quite as dangerous, but he is proven.
184: Smith/Geer-5th/6th Probably the weight with the most ?'s Still, Smith is an AA and Geer has looked stout.
197: Weigel- 5th/6th If, he gets healthy, 197 is really wide open.
285: White-5th/6th 285 has really thinned out and he wasn't far from reaching the podium last season.

Problem with that is, they probably max out around 120, which isn't going to be enough to take top 2.

Reactions: TarpHawk
As solid as he is, he could very well end up having to sit for a bit just like Geo.

If Joe Smith goes 165, you will inevitably see either Rogers or, more likely, Jacobe Smith up at 184. It's a good situation to have, but it is no guarantee that Geer even cracks the starting lineup.

OkState is shaping up to have yet another 10 top 10ish type guys, but only 1 true Finalist candidate. I could see them taking 9-5th/6ths and 1-1st/2nd.

125: Picc-5th/6th With NaTo/Cruz gone and Suriano/Lizak moving up, He should make the podium.
133: Fix-1st/2nd He is their 1 true Finalist contender. 125 may be better for him, but 133 is better for the team.
141: Brock-5th/6th He may be the most offensive guy on the team, but wrestles soft. Not sure going up will help.
149: Lewallen-5th/6th 149 thins out and he should move up a bit.
157: Geo-5th/6th He is probably the 2nd least likely to AA, but he has done it in the past.
165: Smith-5th/6th He wrestled a lot like Brock. Talented, but a bit soft. 165 is anything but soft.
174: Rogers-5th/6th Up a weight he isn't quite as dangerous, but he is proven.
184: Smith/Geer-5th/6th Probably the weight with the most ?'s Still, Smith is an AA and Geer has looked stout.
197: Weigel- 5th/6th If, he gets healthy, 197 is really wide open.
285: White-5th/6th 285 has really thinned out and he wasn't far from reaching the podium last season.

Problem with that is, they probably max out around 120, which isn't going to be enough to take top 2.
A team who scored 120 points has never placed lower than 2nd. The most points a 3rd place team has ever scored is 115.5 by OKST in 2001.

1 Minnesota 138.5
2 Iowa 125.5
3 Oklahoma State 115.5
4 Oklahoma 93.5
5 Illinois 89

A team who scored 120 points has never placed lower than 2nd. The most points a 3rd place team has ever scored is 115.5 by OKST in 2001.

1 Minnesota 138.5
2 Iowa 125.5
3 Oklahoma State 115.5
4 Oklahoma 93.5
5 Illinois 89

PSU and Iowa will score more than that and I wouldn't be surprised if tOSU does as well. If they would have scored 120 this year, what place would they have taken?

Reactions: Grip220
PSU and Iowa will score more than that and I wouldn't be surprised if tOSU does as well. If they would have scored 120 this year, what place would they have taken?
The historic trend says they probably get 2nd. If they scored 23 more points that means someone else scored less. I'm not saying 3 schools can't score 120 pts, but it's not likely. To think 4 schools will score over 120 pts is not realistic at all.

The historic trend says they probably get 2nd. If they scored 23 more points that means someone else scored less. I'm not saying 3 schools can't score 120 pts, but it's not likely. To think 4 schools will score over 120 pts is not realistic at all.

I wasn't arguing historic trends. With today's current wrestling landscape, trends are ready to be reset. I was arguing present team makeups. The top 4 or so teams are, as far separated from the rest, as I can remember. Although, I do agree that 4 teams scoring 120 is very unlikely, there are 4 teams that currently project into that range.

Also, scoring 23 more points does not guarantee that the teams ahead of them score less.

Here is the max point potential for each placement:

1st-30 add a possible 2 with a pigtail match
2nd-24 "
3rd-27 "
4th-24 "
5th-21.5 "
6th-18.5 "
7th-16 "
8th-15 "

That is 196 per weight without even counting all the potential points in the non placement matches. If the top teams continue to recruit so far ahead of the rest, I think you will continue to see at least 2 teams above 120. With well over 2000 pts available, PSU, tOSU, Iowa, OkState and maybe even Michigan are on pace to make up roughly 30 % of that figure.

With the way RTC's seem to have effected the recruiting landscape, along with big name Athletic Departments, I believe the disparity will continue to grow. Add in that top recruits are not redshirting near as often and the spoils go to the rich.

Reactions: andegre
I didn't see $ wrestle much this year but based on board comments it seemed his issue wasn't so much him being undersized as it was slow feet. If that's the case not sure how that would be any better at 184. If I'm wrong, my apologies.

I didn't see $ wrestle much this year but based on board comments it seemed his issue wasn't so much him being undersized as it was slow feet. If that's the case not sure how that would be any better at 184. If I'm wrong, my apologies.
Doesn't have basic offense that he can get to consistently. Not particularly good on the mat. I think his foot speed is fine.

Reactions: LaxHawk174
I wasn't arguing historic trends. With today's current wrestling landscape, trends are ready to be reset. I was arguing present team makeups. The top 4 or so teams are, as far separated from the rest, as I can remember. Although, I do agree that 4 teams scoring 120 is very unlikely, there are 4 teams that currently project into that range.

Also, scoring 23 more points does not guarantee that the teams ahead of them score less.

Here is the max point potential for each placement:

1st-30 add a possible 2 with a pigtail match
2nd-24 "
3rd-27 "
4th-24 "
5th-21.5 "
6th-18.5 "
7th-16 "
8th-15 "

That is 196 per weight without even counting all the potential points in the non placement matches. If the top teams continue to recruit so far ahead of the rest, I think you will continue to see at least 2 teams above 120. With well over 2000 pts available, PSU, tOSU, Iowa, OkState and maybe even Michigan are on pace to make up roughly 30 % of that figure.

With the way RTC's seem to have effected the recruiting landscape, along with big name Athletic Departments, I believe the disparity will continue to grow. Add in that top recruits are not redshirting near as often and the spoils go to the rich.
Well what did the average champion score this year? 23.55 pts. The average 8th place finisher only scored 6.2 pts. No where near the max possible.

Every year we hear how many teams are going to score big and every year one or two teams actually do it. Between injuries, mental lapses, and life it just doesn't happen. You can predict it (someone does every year), but I'll believe it when I see it.

To me, he was at times hesitant to pull the trigger out of concern he would be too easily countered by a bigger, stronger wrestler. He will be interesting to watch as he transitions to 184.

To me, he was at times hesitant to pull the trigger out of concern he would be too easily countered by a bigger, stronger wrestler. He will be interesting to watch as he transitions to 184.
Agree here. I disagree with the slow feet/ lack of arsenal being the problem. Especially against top guys, he was down one or two tds in the third and wouldn’t take a shot. Of course, all that cane after midlands once the grind started to get to him.

This. He didn't have the strength to pull bigger guys in and finish and it would tire him out. Warner, to a degree has the same issue but Warner shoots anyways. With JW...it will work itself out as he gets bigger.

Reactions: rustynailhawk
So if cash wanted the 84 spot last year why didn’t he take it forcing Bowman up? Cash likes to keep matches close than try score late. Cash has to learn to wrestle cutting weight witch he hasn’t done in two years for sure. Ether way Iowa should be fine the next couple years at 84

So if cash wanted the 84 spot last year why didn’t he take it forcing Bowman up? Cash likes to keep matches close than try score late. Cash has to learn to wrestle cutting weight witch he hasn’t done in two years for sure. Ether way Iowa should be fine the next couple years at 84

It made the team better. Two NQs instead of one. Also, had the potential to make the team even better if Downey had become eligible.

So after DP3 wasn’t on the team why didn’t he move down. Really two national qualifier better than one AA.
It's a 13 lb. weight difference. He probably knew Iowa was going to redshirt Warner, and he needed to try to put on some bulk to be competitive at 197.

Nobody knew Downey was out until January I think it was, so if Wilcke was going to go down, he would have to do it incrementally, and still compete at 197. Tough gig in midseason over that much weight distribution.

Reactions: el dub
He was R12 the year before and there wasn’t anyone “making” him go down. He was right there with a lot of the guys on the podium.

Does Cash have a signature win over the last 2 years? Not including Warner.

None of his past wins and style scream AA. I’ve seen him give up to many times after Xmas break last year to
warrant such hype imo. His athleticism advantage at 97 will decrease at 84.

None of his past wins and style scream AA. I’ve seen him give up to many times after Xmas break last year to
Maybe so, but he will gain in the horsepower department. Whether that translates to more wins and more offense remains to be seen.

I don't think a tiger changes his stripes that much in that timeframe, so color me skeptical about an uprising in offensive firepower. That's up to Wilcke.

Mattiace is a pretty solid win. Regardless of his best wins, he has consistently shown to be a top 9-12ish type guy at weight where he was smallish.

Also, finishing R12 2 years in a row screams AA as much as someone that hasn't AA'd before could!

Other than the top 2 or so, who do you not think he has a legit chance to beat at 184:
#1 Nickal, Bo #1 Penn State Big Ten SR 0 - 0 0% 0% 1631.24 x 4 x 27
#2 Martin, Myles #8 Ohio State Big Ten SR 0 - 0 0% 0% 1538.94 x 5 x 13
#3 Preisch, Ryan #7 Lehigh EIWA SR 0 - 0 0% 0% 1474.66 x 9
#4 Zavatsky, Zack #9 Virginia Tech ACC SR 0 - 0 0% 0% 1474.28 x 3 x 4
#5 Parker, Emery #30 Illinois Big Ten SR 0 - 0 0% 0% 1453.38 x 1 x 5
#6 Reenan, Nick #14 North Carolina State ACC RSSO 0 - 0 0% 0% 1449.74 x 2
#7 Smith, Jacobe #3 Oklahoma State Big 12 SR 0 - 0 0% 0% 1426.56 x 1
#8 Gravina, Nicholas #15 Rutgers Big Ten SR 0 - 0 0% 0% 1423.00 x 14
#9 Venz, Taylor #12 Nebraska Big Ten SO 0 - 0 0% 0% 1420.65 1 x 4
#10 Foster, Drew #11 Northern Iowa Big 12 SR 0 - 0 0% 0% 1409.53 1
#11 Geer, Dakota #3 Oklahoma State Big 12 RSSO 0 - 0 0% 0% 1397.52 x 1 x 2
#12 Ness, Chip #32 North Carolina ACC SR 0 - 0 0% 0% 1396.45 x 1 x 1
#13 Dean, Max #6 Cornell EIWA SO 0 - 0 0% 0% 1390.14 x 2
#14 Bonaccorsi, Nino #39 Pittsburgh ACC RSFR 0 - 0 0% 0% 1377.13
#15 Wilcke, Cash #2 Iowa Big Ten JR 0 - 0 0% 0% 1370.57 x 2 x 8
#16 Embree, Jelani #4 Michigan Big Ten RSFR 0 - 0 0% 0% 1366.50

Anything is possible, but since he has never beaten anyone ranked in the top 10 going into his junior year, I'm cautiously pessimistic about his AA chances. He has a mental block about beating top guys. He can keep it close but never truly threatens, and his closing flurries seem more obligatory than actual attempts to win. If they were real he would've unleashed them four minutes earlier.

But here's hoping he has a breakthrough.

The fact that Wilcke now represents the low end of the lineup shows how much progress has been made by this team.

Mattiace is a pretty solid win. Regardless of his best wins, he has consistently shown to be a top 9-12ish type guy at weight where he was smallish.

Also, finishing R12 2 years in a row screams AA as much as someone that hasn't AA'd before could!

Other than the top 2 or so, who do you not think he has a legit chance to beat at 184:
#1 Nickal, Bo #1 Penn State Big Ten SR 0 - 0 0% 0% 1631.24 x 4 x 27
#2 Martin, Myles #8 Ohio State Big Ten SR 0 - 0 0% 0% 1538.94 x 5 x 13
#3 Preisch, Ryan #7 Lehigh EIWA SR 0 - 0 0% 0% 1474.66 x 9
#4 Zavatsky, Zack #9 Virginia Tech ACC SR 0 - 0 0% 0% 1474.28 x 3 x 4
#5 Parker, Emery #30 Illinois Big Ten SR 0 - 0 0% 0% 1453.38 x 1 x 5
#6 Reenan, Nick #14 North Carolina State ACC RSSO 0 - 0 0% 0% 1449.74 x 2
#7 Smith, Jacobe #3 Oklahoma State Big 12 SR 0 - 0 0% 0% 1426.56 x 1
#8 Gravina, Nicholas #15 Rutgers Big Ten SR 0 - 0 0% 0% 1423.00 x 14
#9 Venz, Taylor #12 Nebraska Big Ten SO 0 - 0 0% 0% 1420.65 1 x 4
#10 Foster, Drew #11 Northern Iowa Big 12 SR 0 - 0 0% 0% 1409.53 1
#11 Geer, Dakota #3 Oklahoma State Big 12 RSSO 0 - 0 0% 0% 1397.52 x 1 x 2
#12 Ness, Chip #32 North Carolina ACC SR 0 - 0 0% 0% 1396.45 x 1 x 1
#13 Dean, Max #6 Cornell EIWA SO 0 - 0 0% 0% 1390.14 x 2
#14 Bonaccorsi, Nino #39 Pittsburgh ACC RSFR 0 - 0 0% 0% 1377.13
#15 Wilcke, Cash #2 Iowa Big Ten JR 0 - 0 0% 0% 1370.57 x 2 x 8
#16 Embree, Jelani #4 Michigan Big Ten RSFR 0 - 0 0% 0% 1366.50
His point is still valid. He's entering his 4th year, and has some serious holes in his game. I'm hoping that some of these are resolved by moving down, but that remains to be seen. He wasn't some type of offensive dynamo during his RS year at 184, so it's fair to question what type of wrestler he is going to be. It's all speculation either way.

Kind of, his best wins last season were over #6 Mattiace at Midlands, and #19 Brucki, also at Midlands. (Those are 2019 rankings...)

https://test.wrestlestat.com/wrestler/39502/wilcke-cash/profile

What are basing this on? I don’t see Geer’s results to date as much better than $. Seems like a R12 guy, just like $. But I also want to see 184 Wilke, which may prove to be better than Geer.
Cash needs to let the fur fly at 84 and he’ll be fine.

I have Little more faith in Bowman. He at least couple top guys just hasn’t put it all together. Who ever starts at 84 will be close to AA. How high who know

Reactions: Stoney-boy
$ is solid round of 12 wrestler who, if everything goes right is low to mid AA. He’s not great at any one thing (scrambling, riding, quickness) but solid at everything. He’ll have a lot of close matches because of this regardless of weight. It’s not as though he doesn’t have a significant body of work to reference from. Fan critique comes from an apparent lack of urgency, particularly when behind, and inability to distance himself from fringe competition often.

Reactions: TarpHawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT