ADVERTISEMENT

Dan Dennis has registered for the U.S. Open. ...

That's awesome .. who is the last Hawkeye to compete Greco? I just don't see much greco coverage

He could actually do really well. I wouldn’t be shocked if he won it. He’s great with 2 on 1 Russian Ties & he’s not afraid to go upper body with anyone. His gut is as good as anyone’s out there. If he can clean up his attacks to keep from getting leg fouls, he’ll make the bracket interesting.

Didn't Alex Meyer give it a go last year? Something foggy in the back of the brain says so. On a side note, has he hung it up for international styles, or just not with HWC anymore?
Either last year or 2 years ago. I believe he made the semis and lost to Kamal Bey by 1 late

he had shoulder surgery last year, and i think he's going the med school route

Didn't Alex Meyer give it a go last year? Something foggy in the back of the brain says so. On a side note, has he hung it up for international styles, or just not with HWC anymore?

you are right, he did wrestle Greco few years back... some of it was on flo and/or youtube and I watched. He is in Medical school today at Univ of Iowa-- finishing his first year.

Kamal bey does a move where he shoots but instead of attack legs he attacks the stomach. Is that not a common move?

Thanks. It looks like a move our guys who are great at shooting doubles could do. I think Bull is a good example of an Iowa wrestler who is equipped to do it.
For some reason, the Bull does not strike me as a Greco guy. His leg attacks are quick and powerful, but I am not so sure he would do as well attacking the body. He does seem to have the mentality for it and the toughness though. Greco is 2 parts technique, 6 parts toughness, and 2 parts border line insanity and loving pain. Maybe the Bull would shine in Greco after all. :)

Well I was a bit off on Dan in Greco. He was down 2-0 & gave up a short arm drag and it appeared he was going to go out of bounds being content to give up a 2 when his opponent hit a sweet 5. Dan requested the challenge block to be thrown, but he lost it. That 5 changed the match real fast.

He could actually do really well. I wouldn’t be shocked if he won it. He’s great with 2 on 1 Russian Ties & he’s not afraid to go upper body with anyone. His gut is as good as anyone’s out there. If he can clean up his attacks to keep from getting leg fouls, he’ll make the bracket interesting.
Interesting

Well I was a bit off on Dan in Greco. He was down 2-0 & gave up a short arm drag and it appeared he was going to go out of bounds being content to give up a 2 when his opponent hit a sweet 5. Dan requested the challenge block to be thrown, but he lost it. That 5 changed the match real fast.

The 5 didn't change the match. What causes a match to change when someone is getting teched in under two minutes (and without a leg lace or a trapped arm gut)? Schmitt scored a takedown :48 seconds in, and then arm dragged Dennis again into the go behind and throw :55 later. Dennis was never in any position to score. The tech was inevitable. I think Schmitt ended up 6th. I was excited DD entered Greco and I did enjoy watching him compete even if it was very short lived. I think some freestyle guys are unaware of just how hard and different Greco really is especially against someone who has actually trained in it at a high level. A freestyle wrestler with a great gut, (or good gut defense) may not be all that great vs a Greco wrestler who has spent significantly more time in that position applying/defending guts. The same goes for the freestyle wrestler that thinks they can make the transition to Greco because they are pretty good with upper body attacks. However, being comfortable and pretty good against freestyle wrestlers with upper body offense/defense is not anywhere near the level one needs to be at to actually be proficient in Greco. If I recall, Terry tried greco once and I think Dennis Hall teched him almost instantly. The sad thing is, they gave Dennis a 7 seed based on his past Freestyle accomplishments. He got a very easy first round match, then he ran into unseeded Schmitt. I do wish Dennis had gotten at least one takedown against Schmitt so we could have actually seen how good his gut is.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT