ADVERTISEMENT

Dan Tillo now considered a D-1 prospect?

He's always been considered a D-1 prospect, just not a high major D-1 prospect. There's a massive difference there.

And I doubt that if none of the four offered prior that yesterday's performance will draw sudden interest.

Originally posted by youflog1hawk:
After his performance yesterday does he get an offer from any Iowa D-1 school. Or ask to walk on.
Probably not: it is my understanding that UNI has no open schollie to offer. Which is a shame for UNI fans, and should be a relief to the Hawkeyes. At UNI, I can see him getting double-doubles against us for the next four years. I only wish Iowa would find a way to bring him here: I can envision Tillo & Hutton on the court as the wing players against the kind of thuggish, physical play of teams like Michigan State, Purdue, Minnesota.

While Iowa City West is on its way to an unprecedented 4th straight Class 5 state championship----and will doubtless add a 5th next year, there was no question who was the best player on the court. Tillo's teammates played with effort, but West was too deep. Even so, Tillo was a difference that kept his team close enough to even grab a 4th quarter lead. He dominated the boards, handled the ball on evey possession, doubled teamed, still with few turnovers (but they were costly). He really scored 35 points in the game: he lost a 2nd quarter basket on a very, very dubious charge call, and had a 4th quarter 3 point basket wiped out by an official's timeclock stimeout just before he got the shot away.

IMO opinion he showed yesterday against the best HS talent in Iowa, as good a team perhaps as the Lohaus-Morgan team of the recent past at West. He quieted the talk of "mid-major"...

I just hope that Northwestern, Nebraska, Minnesota don't find a place for him as a future BT rival. Let him accept an offer from Drake, or even better, Creighton or Wichita State. Nebbie got a commitment from Jacobson, who may have a size advantage, but IMO he isn't anywhere near the player Dan Tillo has shown himself to be for the past three years.

Originally posted by Tiggerhawk:
After his performance yesterday does he get an offer from any Iowa D-1 school. Or ask to walk on.
Probably not: it is my understanding that UNI has no open schollie to offer. Which is a shame for UNI fans, and should be a relief to the Hawkeyes. At UNI, I can see him getting double-doubles against us for the next four years. I only wish Iowa would find a way to bring him here: I can envision Tillo & Hutton on the court as the wing players against the kind of thuggish, physical play of teams like Michigan State, Purdue, Minnesota.

While Iowa City West is on its way to an unprecedented 4th straight Class 5 state championship-
How many 6-4/5 guys have multiple double-double against Iowa in the last 10 years?

What the hell is a Class 5 State Championship?

Originally posted by Legend12:

While Iowa City West is on its way to an unprecedented 4th straight Class 5 state championship-
How many 6-4/5 guys have multiple double-double against Iowa in the last 10 years?

Me thinks he goofed in his typing. The girls have added a 5A class on their side, but the boys are still 4A. West girls are 5A.

You mean how many "unknowns" have record setting days against us? Seems to happen with regularity...
Posted from Rivals Mobile

He's said it in different threads. He's just senile, I guess.
Better that than your condition of being born a cretin and getting worse every day.

There are five classes in Iowa Boys HS: hoops: a,1a, 2a,3a,4a, 5a. I"ll count them for you, since the math is clearly beyond you without the aid of Fisher-Price & bright colors.1, 2, 3, 4, 5.

In girls' hoops, added another. In football, add 8-man class. I think it best to simply use a cardinal number, for you & any possible others who struggle with even the simplest concepts.(After all, you are not the only Moo troll who parades abysmal ignorance on this board....an unfortunate fact of continuing humiliation to the few like Lone Clone who demonstrate frequently that the problem is not Moo U itself, it is just many of its fans).

Don't get in a pissing contest with me. Most likely your prostate stream is as weak as your cerebral functioning.

Tigger, here's the link for quikstats for Iowa high school sports. Click boys basketball and find the 5A stats.

http://www.quikstatsiowa.com/Public/Basketball/TeamStandings.aspx?IDSport=57C38F60-B323-4087-A557-9ED925DC546D

Reactions: BuckRussel
Tigger, let me help you. There are 4 classes of boys basketball in Iowa, 1A through 4A. There are 5 classes of girls basketball, 1A through 5A. There is no Class A in basketball.

Been sick as hell all week and I'm pissed I didn't get to see Tillo.

I've got a bunch of friends up in Siouxland and none are apathetic about Tillo. Some of them say he's a monster athlete, like Eric May with a really good shot. Others say not sufficiently athletic to play high level D1. Having a natural affinity for Iowa HS kids I'd like to see Iowa offer.

Originally posted by Cydkar:
I bet West doesn't win the state championship
I bet you are right.
3dgrin.r191677.gif

I don't have any inside info about where Tillo is leaning but I understand that he has an offer from the University of South Dakota as well as Northern Colorado. USD is close to home, about 30 miles north of Sioux City. My wild guess is that Tillo ends up at USD. His dad is an ISU grad - I suppose its possible that Hoiberg could bring him in as a walk-on.

As a side note, I am a bit surprised that Tillo has not received more offers. It could be that his quickness, or lack thereof, makes uncertain whether he can adequately defend high Division 1 athletes. Despite this, Tillo has excelled the past 3 years - IIRC he led the state's largest class in scoring and rebounding as a junior. That's an impressive accomplishment for a 6ft4 SG.

While Iowa City West is on its way to an unprecedented 4th straight Class 5 state championship----and will doubtless add a 5th next year, there was no question who was the best player on the court. Tillo's teammates played with effort, but West was too deep. Even so, Tillo was a difference that kept his team close enough to even grab a 4th quarter lead. He dominated the boards, handled the ball on evey possession, doubled teamed, still with few turnovers (but they were costly). He really scored 35 points in the game: he lost a 2nd quarter basket on a very, very dubious charge call, and had a 4th quarter 3 point basket wiped out by an official's timeclock stimeout just before he got the shot away.

IMO opinion he showed yesterday against the best HS talent in Iowa, as good a team perhaps as the Lohaus-Morgan team of the recent past at West. He quieted the talk of "mid-major"...

I just hope that Northwestern, Nebraska, Minnesota don't find a place for him as a future BT rival. Let him accept an offer from Drake, or even better, Creighton or Wichita State. Nebbie got a commitment from Jacobson, who may have a size advantage, but IMO he isn't anywhere near the player Dan Tillo has shown himself to be for the past three years.
Tigger - any idea where Tillo is leaning? Its crunch time for a college decision. If he was waiting for a late offer from a big school, I believe that door is probably closed now. Hard to believe but Fall semester is only about 5 months away now.

Originally posted by nu2u:

I don't have any inside info about where Tillo is leaning but I understand that he has an offer from the University of South Dakota as well as Northern Colorado. USD is close to home, about 30 miles north of Sioux City. My wild guess is that Tillo ends up at USD. His dad is an ISU grad - I suppose its possible that Hoiberg could bring him in as a walk-on.

As a side note, I am a bit surprised that Tillo has not received more offers. It could be that his quickness, or lack thereof, makes uncertain whether he can adequately defend high Division 1 athletes. Despite this, Tillo has excelled the past 3 years - IIRC he led the state's largest class in scoring and rebounding as a junior. That's an impressive accomplishment for a 6ft4 SG.
An article in the Sioux City paper said that he doesn't have any D1 offers. Tillo was quoted as saying if he doesn't get any, he might go to a JUCO.

The kid had some monster football stats as well and he only played half a season (I think). Taking the occassional reach on an Iowa kid builds good faith with local HS and AAU coaches. That good faith can pay dividends when the next Uthoff, Woodbury or (kind of) Gesell comes along.

Originally posted by rillo 62:

Originally posted by nu2u:

An article in the Sioux City paper said that he doesn't have any D1 offers. Tillo was quoted as saying if he doesn't get any, he might go to a JUCO.
Seriously? There must be more to the story with Tillo ..... there is no other way to explain zero Div1 offers.

This site lists 3 D1 offers: USD, N.CO, and San Jose St.

Here's from the article:

All that he's accomplished, though, Tillo still hasn't landed a Division I scholarship offer, which has left him somewhat disillusioned.
"If I don't go Division I for basketball, I'll probably go to a junior college first, maybe Iowa Western or DMACC, and hopefully get some offers,'' said Tillo, who has connected on 44.2 percent of his three-point attempts (57 of 129) and 78 percent of his free throws (116 of 149).

I recall reading about the San Jose State and USD offers, and i could see if SJS pulled their offer but not USD. They just graduated 2 guards. Not sure what the deal is.

Tillo

Found this SC Journal article, might be the one rillo mentioned:

I mean he has absolutely destroyed the Sioux City prep scoring record (previously held by Brennan Cougill 1602 pts) by scoring over 2,000 points Further....

"Statistically, Tillo's four seasons at North have yielded impressive totals across the board.

A career 49.3 percent shooter hitting 55.3 percent this winter (68 of 123), he's converted 44.3 percent of his three-pointers, sinking 188 of 424 with percentages of .422, .422, .424 and .529 (27 of 51 this winter) from his freshman season on up. Add in his 80.9 percent on free throws and the marksmanship is strictly top drawer.

Meanwhile, Tillo has been one of Iowa Class 4A basketball's leading rebounders each of the last two seasons while also compiling noteworthy career totals for assists (259) and steals (138).

While averaging 20.6 points for the 80 games he's played, he's tossing in 24.5 a game this winter while also leading North in assists (32), steals (18) and blocked shots (13)."

3 time Class 4A 1st Team All-State, a prolific record-breaking scorer, hitting 50% from the field while converting 44% of over 400 3PT FGA, a leading rebounder in the State at 6ft5, leads his team in assists and steals.

If he has no Division 1 basketball scholarship offers you have to wonder why. Its a real head scratcher, yes?

Originally posted by rillo 62:
Here's from the article:

All that he's accomplished, though, Tillo still hasn't landed a Division I scholarship offer, which has left him somewhat disillusioned.

"If I don't go Division I for basketball, I'll probably go to a junior college first, maybe Iowa Western or DMACC, and hopefully get some offers,'' said Tillo, who has connected on 44.2 percent of his three-point attempts (57 of 129) and 78 percent of his free throws (116 of 149).

I recall reading about the San Jose State and USD offers, and i could see if SJS pulled their offer but not USD. They just graduated 2 guards. Not sure what the deal is.
I got to believe that Tillo would fit in well at USD. Like you said, the Coyotes graduated guards Bos and Larson. Kasperbaur, Thoseby, and Burnette will be a seniors. I would think that Tillo would be a great compliment to D.J. Davis at SG the next 3 years.

Originally posted by Vbeachawk:
Iowa should offer Tillo a walk-on opportunity where he could earn a scholly if he's good enough.
He is going to San Diego St on a full ride for baseball.Excellent athlete.

Originally posted by hawkssox1:
Iowa should offer Tillo a walk-on opportunity where he could earn a scholly if he's good enough.
Did you even read this thread? Tillo himself has said that is not the case.

And how many kids get full rides for baseball?

This post was edited on 3/15 11:20 AM by Legend12

I thought his liability was on defense but after watching Jok I think not. I just don't understand no interest in state schools. Blows my mind. I watched him play only a couple of times but seemed to be able to score easily.

As I've been saying for almost 2 years now, it is really hard for me to believe that Tillo's supposed lack of athleticism is the reason he is not being more highly recruited. Is it possible to credibly claim that a player that leads Class 4A in scoring and rebounding lacks athleticism?

newattitude- correct me if I'm wrong, but Iowa starts two sioux city players and they just received a 7 seed in the NCAA tourny. Judging by Iowa's basketball success in the past decade, maybe they should recruit more sioux city players. This is the best seed they've had in almost a decade! This will be their first time making the NCAA tourny since 2006 (not including last years play-in loss).

Originally posted by hawkssox1:
Did you even read this thread? Tillo himself has said that is not the case.

And how many kids get full rides for baseball?

This post was edited on 3/15 11:20 AM by Legend12
None. Nadda.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT