ADVERTISEMENT

Daniel Dennis interview

Lamoni

Team MVP
Dec 2, 2011
Daniel Dennis was one of my favorite wrestlers at Iowa even though his loss in the 2010 finals was one of the worst in recent memory. He was on the Moonlight Graham podcast this week and I thought it was a must listen for all wrestling fans. He spends some time talking about the rivalry/friendship with Ramos and how he thinks Spencer Lee is the best he has ever seen. Sounds like a great guy.

Link:
https://www.moonlightgrahamshow.com...n-daniel-dennis-on-his-amazing-comeback-story

“He’s a sweetheart and it’s kids like him that are going to turn the Iowa program around” (reference to SLee) Kind of an interesting take.

DD has such an organic appeal and really marches to his own beat. A real warrior and as mentioned above, great to be able to call him a Hawk.

Daniel was one of my very favorites from the first time I saw him wrestle. He gave his very best in every match. To this day his loss in the finals hurts. I wanted him to win so damn bad.
We have had some great competitors or the years. While I was very seldom able to attend home meets until 1985, I was able to attend the NCAA almost every year since 1965. While I live in Orlando, I still have three seats for the Hawks during the season. I am unable to attend every match, I try to attend as many as I can.

Daniel was one of my very favorites from the first time I saw him wrestle. He gave his very best in every match. To this day his loss in the finals hurts. I wanted him to win so damn bad.
We have had some great competitors or the years. While I was very seldom able to attend home meets until 1985, I was able to attend the NCAA almost every year since 1965. While I live in Orlando, I still have three seats for the Hawks during the season. I am unable to attend every match, I try to attend as many as I can.
Thanks for supporting the program. Awesome what you do even living in FL.

Daniel Dennis was one of my favorite wrestlers at Iowa even though his loss in the 2010 finals was one of the worst in recent memory. He was on the Moonlight Graham podcast this week and I thought it was a must listen for all wrestling fans. He spends some time talking about the rivalry/friendship with Ramos and how he thinks Spencer Lee is the best he has ever seen. Sounds like a great guy.

Link:
https://www.moonlightgrahamshow.com...n-daniel-dennis-on-his-amazing-comeback-story

Thanks for the link, I enjoyed listening to that cast. I have listened to 4 or 5 of those Moonlight Graham casts now and ALL of them have been very well done.

Most of you have been snowballed! Dennis was an extremely hard worker, don’t get me wrong- loved watching him through his career! I also turned inside out in his last second loss to Ness in the NCAA finals. But, he was not liked by his teammates and most of them considered him a dirty wrestler - angry and mean- on and off the mat. Just ask Cory Clark how his shoulder is healing- now you get it!!! Wasn’t a couple weeks/month after that Dennis was out of the room. No ill toward Dennis- wish him the best in his future. Just wanted to set the record straight.

I was in class with Dennis, talked to him a few times. Talked to him once before the IC duals when he was going to wrestle Billy Murphy. I asked what he thought of the match, he said Billy was too fat and chubby to hang with him. It was pretty funny. He did win the match, but not by much. Billy was tough. I asked how Billy hung with him and he said that knew each other really well so it was hard to score. He was always friendly but still has a chip on his shoulders. I enjoyed him.

<<Wasn’t a couple weeks/month after that Dennis was out of the room>>

Dan Dennis is welcome in the Iowa room anyday he wants--he is well liked/loved in the room.

Coach Brands called DD and asked him to come work out with Spencer a couple weeks before nationals --and DD did just that.

No one wanted DD to leave the HWC--

Most of you have been snowballed! Dennis was an extremely hard worker, don’t get me wrong- loved watching him through his career! I also turned inside out in his last second loss to Ness in the NCAA finals. But, he was not liked by his teammates and most of them considered him a dirty wrestler - angry and mean- on and off the mat. Just ask Cory Clark how his shoulder is healing- now you get it!!! Wasn’t a couple weeks/month after that Dennis was out of the room. No ill toward Dennis- wish him the best in his future. Just wanted to set the record straight.

What an uninformed jackass.

I totally got that vibe as I seen him laughing and joking with a bunch of dudes in the room. Must have been trying to get them off guard or something so he could hurt knees and mangle shoulders. Injuries happen...especially in a room when hard goes happen.

Btw, might want to get your facts straight. Cory got hurt in December IIRC...Dennis officially left HWC in August. I saw him at multiple practices during the spring and summer.

<<Wasn’t a couple weeks/month after that Dennis was out of the room>>

Dan Dennis is welcome in the Iowa room anyday he wants--he is well liked/loved in the room.

Coach Brands called DD and asked him to come work out with Spencer a couple weeks before nationals --and DD did just that.

No one wanted DD to leave the HWC--

Thank you for the informed, well written reply. Thumbs up!

Hot take alert.

haha-shut-up.gif

Is this Dingledorf?

Angry and Mean=aggressive and confident. You make it sound like he hurt Clark's shoulder on purpose. Is that what you are saying?

Reactions: IAChief32
I've spoken to guys on the team and everyone I spoke with loved Dennis and I know the coaches wanted him to stay on longer. Very highly regarded. I've met him and believe him to be a great guy.
Ramos is that you?

Interesting, but not surprising, that Dennis and Ramos haven't spoken since their last match.

There’s a FLO video after Clark’s surgery where they are wrestling 1 armed against each other. Guess Clark is very forgiving or you are completely full of it.

Last edited:
Just jumped backed on- Sorry! Really don’t want to bring this back up- and on me- just setting record straight again- defending myself. For you guys that have NO CLUE about what’s going on in the Iowa room -and would post anything positive- No Matter What- please don’t respond to my post!! By Randy responding- gives my post serious validation! There are SO many of you that know and Love Iowa Wrestling as the cult it is- Beside 4-6 of you - Actually in the Know- please don’t Rant- please, don’t try and crush me- Hahaha! Please- I Love IOWA Wrestling!!
Please don’t get me wrong- I loved watching DD compete! An Incredible athelete/wrestler for us -no debating that!
For those of you that have “talked” to his teammates - Do you REALLY THINK they would have told you anything except A.... “GREAT GUY”- REALLY LIKE HIM”- “MAJOR the ASSET TO THE PROGRAM” - Blah, Blah, Blah!! Hahahah! That’s a Joke!!
I was in the room when Cory’s shoulder got hurt wrestling DD- were you??? If yes, what arm did he throw the chair with ???

GO HAWKS- NATIONAL CHAMPS 2018!!!!!!

Guessing his shoulder that wasn’t just hurt... and if, (and only if...huge if..huge huge if) your story is true and he threw a chair. How could you blame him, it’s his last year for the ncaas and he know he just hurt his shoulder. I’d be mad pissed that I was hurt, not necessarily who hurt me. But ill just leave the talking to Randy

I'm putting you on "ignore". You lost ALL credibility and lied about DD. Not cool.

Just jumped backed on- Sorry! Really don’t want to bring this back up- and on me- just setting record straight again- defending myself. For you guys that have NO CLUE about what’s going on in the Iowa room -and would post anything positive- No Matter What- please don’t respond to my post!! By Randy responding- gives my post serious validation! There are SO many of you that know and Love Iowa Wrestling as the cult it is- Beside 4-6 of you - Actually in the Know- please don’t Rant- please, don’t try and crush me- Hahaha! Please- I Love IOWA Wrestling!!
Please don’t get me wrong- I loved watching DD compete! An Incredible athelete/wrestler for us -no debating that!
For those of you that have “talked” to his teammates - Do you REALLY THINK they would have told you anything except A.... “GREAT GUY”- REALLY LIKE HIM”- “MAJOR the ASSET TO THE PROGRAM” - Blah, Blah, Blah!! Hahahah! That’s a Joke!!
I was in the room when Cory’s shoulder got hurt wrestling DD- were you??? If yes, what arm did he throw the chair with ???

This again? No...I wasn't in the room, I was in Arizona ready to throw my own chair when I found out haha. But have been in the room since to include most of last summer. Let's review:

So the injury happened in December 2016 IIRC...that would put Dennis out of the room by around February. However, I saw him at multiple practices last summer...he officially left the HWC in August/Sept 2017...8 months after. He was also in town to help Lee get prepped for the NCAAs IIRC. Also, I think I am a pretty good judge of group dynamics. You're right...guys may say one thing out in public but the room doesn't lie. I saw DD interacting with guys, laughing etc and vice versa. If guys think somebody is a DBag, that dude is generally left alone.

I have no idea if your claims are true or not, but I just want to point out that this kind of sh*tty forum posting is why many coaches don't let fans spectate practices. Sometimes it's best to bite your tongue and not go spreading sh*t on the internet. What good does your post accomplish?

Last edited:
<<By Randy responding- gives my post serious validation!>>

Hawks3 + 1 could be a politician !

last post on this--I think :)

If Dan Dennis called today and said he wanted to come back and train 7 days a week in HWC regardless if he ever competed again he would be welcomed with open arms.!
If Dan Dennis called today and said he wanted to come back and train 6 days a week in HWC regardless if he ever competed again he would be welcomed with open arms.!
If Dan Dennis called today and said he wanted to come back and train 5 days a week in HWC regardless if he ever competed again he would be welcomed with open arms.!
If Dan Dennis called today and said he wanted to come back and train 4 days a week in HWC regardless if he ever competed again he would be welcomed with open arms.!
If Dan Dennis called today and said he wanted to come back and train 3 days a week in HWC regardless if he ever competed again he would be welcomed with open arms.!
If Dan Dennis called today and said he wanted to come back and train 2 days a week in HWC regardless if he ever competed again he would be welcomed with open arms.!
If Dan Dennis called today and said he wanted to come back and train 1 days a week in HWC regardless if he ever competed again he would be welcomed with open arms.!

There are VERY few if any I could say this about.

thats all

From what I’m picking up is the world would be a better place if DD just stayed in the mountains so he doesn’t hurt anymore feelings or shoulders in the wrestling world. Huh, who knew?

“If Dan Dennis called today and said he wanted to come back and train 7 days a week in HWC regardless if he ever competed again he would be welcomed with open arms.!”

I wouldn’t extend an arm to him after reading these posts. He’ll rip it clean off.

Last edited:
Reactions: menges00
I commented earlier and I'll say it again. I've been around the Iowa room a lot over the last 2-years and Daniel Dennis is highly regarded, greatly respected and the guys and coaches love him. Anybody saying anything different has it all wrong. What Randy posted is 100% correct. I know that they didn't want him to leave and tried to keep him around Iowa City. If anybody is not a good guy, why would they try their very best to keep him in town. I also know that what IAchief stated is also accurate. I also saw Dennis rolling around with Spencer this year and they are very close and that was also obvious in watching them interact.

Reactions: IAChief32
<<By Randy responding- gives my post serious validation!>>

Hawks3 + 1 could be a politician !

last post on this--I think :)

If Dan Dennis called today and said he wanted to come back and train 7 days a week in HWC regardless if he ever competed again he would be welcomed with open arms.!
If Dan Dennis called today and said he wanted to come back and train 6 days a week in HWC regardless if he ever competed again he would be welcomed with open arms.!
If Dan Dennis called today and said he wanted to come back and train 5 days a week in HWC regardless if he ever competed again he would be welcomed with open arms.!
If Dan Dennis called today and said he wanted to come back and train 4 days a week in HWC regardless if he ever competed again he would be welcomed with open arms.!
If Dan Dennis called today and said he wanted to come back and train 3 days a week in HWC regardless if he ever competed again he would be welcomed with open arms.!
If Dan Dennis called today and said he wanted to come back and train 2 days a week in HWC regardless if he ever competed again he would be welcomed with open arms.!
If Dan Dennis called today and said he wanted to come back and train 1 days a week in HWC regardless if he ever competed again he would be welcomed with open arms.!

There are VERY few if any I could say this about.

thats all

So...I think I hear you saying that Dennis would be welcomed back to the HWC if he so chose? Am I close on that? :) :)

Dennis is a GREAT guy. I went to the Olympics in Rio with him, Stayed with his mom, sister, brother and friends in an air b&b - all top notch, down to earth, great people. To say the wrestlers in the Iowa room don't like him or anything of the like is absolutely ridiculous. That kid is beloved in the room. He'd do anything for the program and the program would do anything they could for him. He is aggressive, ornry, honest, confident and one of the most likeable guys you'd ever meet. That loss was gutting in Omaha but Dennis is a true Hawkeye. Love to have twenty more of him in the room.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT