ADVERTISEMENT

Darian Devries

Does no one not take notice how bad the valley has been recently? Devries doesn’t have a single ncaa victory. If your going cheer for Frans departure at least put up some names for coaches that have actually done something in March yeesh.
Sure the valley is down but he does have the 6th most wins in the country over the last five years along with the Creighton experience.

Does no one not take notice how bad the valley has been recently? Devries doesn’t have a single ncaa victory. If your going cheer for Frans departure at least put up some names for coaches that have actually done something in March yeesh.
You act like it's the SWAC or something. Sure it's down from what it used to be, but it's still on of the top mid major conferences. And Drake is an awful program, he turned things around immediately. That has to count for something.

Sure the valley is down but he does have the 6th most wins in the country over the last five years along with the Creighton experience.
And how many wins against teams teams that went on to make the ncaa tournament?
You act like it's the SWAC or something. Sure it's down from what it used to be, but it's still on of the top mid major conferences. And Drake is an awful program, he turned things around immediately. That has to count for something.
when is the last time they had an at large bid even? Ben Jacobson is more accomplished than this guy.

Iowa hasn’t been to the sweet 16 in 25 years and you’re calling for a coach that has zero ncaa wins and any top 25 wins?

I would be alright interviewing the guy if Iowa had a vacancy but we are getting a little ahead of ourselves acting like this guy is a slam dunk. He’s been successful against garbage teams in the valley.

There is a coach in the big ten struggling right now that has nba title as an assistant lol. Slow down.

You know who else is has track record for great success before ncaa tournament, Fran lol.

when is the last time they had an at large bid even? Ben Jacobson is more accomplished than this guy.

Iowa hasn’t been to the sweet 16 in 25 years and you’re calling for a coach that has zero ncaa wins and any top 25 wins?

I would be alright interviewing the guy if Iowa had a vacancy but we are getting a little ahead of ourselves acting like this guy is a slam dunk. He’s been successful against garbage teams in the valley.

There is a coach in the big ten struggling right now that has nba title as an assistant lol. Slow down.

You know who else is has track record for great success before ncaa tournament, Fran lol.
Slow down, tiger. I never said he was a slam dunk, just responding to you acting like the Valley is some sort of terrible conference. It's all relative, yes the Valley isn't the Big Ten, but Drake is also a terrible program and he's winning with them. You can't knock him for not beating teams that aren't on his schedule.

Comparing him to Jacobson is funny. You realize Devries has coached five seasons right? Of course Jacobson is more accomplished at this point. Devries has coached for five seasons and has made the tournament twice with Drake. A school that has six tournament appearances in their entire existence! They look like they could be on their way for another this season.

Slow down, tiger. I never said he was a slam dunk, just responding to you acting like the Valley is some sort of terrible conference. It's all relative, yes the Valley isn't the Big Ten, but Drake is also a terrible program and he's winning with them. You can't knock him for not beating teams that aren't on his schedule.

Comparing him to Jacobson is funny. You realize Devries has coached five seasons right? Of course Jacobson is more accomplished at this point. Devries has coached for five seasons and has made the tournament twice with Drake. A school that has six tournament appearances in their entire existence! They look like they could be on their way for another this season.
They'll have to get the auto bid in St Louis I think to get in, unfortunately. They have 3 Q3 losses and only 1 Q1 win; and if you map out their remaining regular season schedule they only have 1 Q1 opportunity left. 5 of their remaining 8 games are against Q3 opponents--so they basically have very little opportunity to raise up the bubble and into the at-large convo.
IF they run the table from here until the Arch Madness final against Indiana State, they might have a prayer at being in the play-in. But it's just the by-product of the Valley being incredibly down outside of Indiana State, Drake and Bradley that it's a very small margin for error in order to get an at-large bid in this league.

Reactions: BirdistheWord
I'm not sold on deVries sorry. I've watched them a little and iowa's offense is a lot more fun to watch imo. Never have been all that impressed with his team's. They absolutely choked against Miami in the tournament last year

Reactions: Underscore2
Darian was a junior when I was trying to walk on at UNI.

Freaking bulldog on the court.

Absolutely “hells nos” for Iowa’s next coach.

Dude can’t win at this level.

Dude can’t win at his level.

And that’s with his boy. Hard NO to be Iowa’s next coach.

Good God, haven’t thought about ‘Ol Eldon Miller forever!

Reactions: Mohawkeye
Cory Jenkins, Jason Daisey, Terry (most overrated hooper in America) Cress.

Wow, haven’t thought about that old team forever.

Thanks for memory lane!

Darian was a junior when I was trying to walk on at UNI.

Freaking bulldog on the court.

Absolutely “hells nos” for Iowa’s next coach.

Dude can’t win at this level.

Dude can’t win at his level.

And that’s with his boy. Hard NO to be Iowa’s next coach.

Good God, haven’t thought about ‘Ol Eldon Miller forever!
Curious what you would consider "winning at his level"? What would a coach at Drake have to do to "win at his level"? As another poster stated, 6th most wins in the country over the past five seasons, while coaching for a program that hasn't won a tournament game in over 50 years. I'm not saying Devries is the guy necessarily, but the diminishing of his record by some people in this thread is odd.

They'll have to get the auto bid in St Louis I think to get in, unfortunately. They have 3 Q3 losses and only 1 Q1 win; and if you map out their remaining regular season schedule they only have 1 Q1 opportunity left. 5 of their remaining 8 games are against Q3 opponents--so they basically have very little opportunity to raise up the bubble and into the at-large convo.
IF they run the table from here until the Arch Madness final against Indiana State, they might have a prayer at being in the play-in. But it's just the by-product of the Valley being incredibly down outside of Indiana State, Drake and Bradley that it's a very small margin for error in order to get an at-large bid in this league.
Valley is actually up from past years. It had dropped to the 12th or so best league and is now 9th, just behind the A10 but ahead of some other solid leagues like Gonzaga’s league.

Curious what you would consider "winning at his level"? What would a coach at Drake have to do to "win at his level"? As another poster stated, 6th most wins in the country over the past five seasons, while coaching for a program that hasn't won a tournament game in over 50 years. I'm not saying Devries is the guy necessarily, but the diminishing of his record by some people in this thread is odd.
Very. And it cracks me up about the “he doesn’t have any Quad 1 wins.” He doesn’t have hardly any because schools like Iowa won’t play them and give them an opportunity. It’s not even close to a level playing field for mid majors.

Valley is actually up from past years. It had dropped to the 12th or so best league and is now 9th, just behind the A10 but ahead of some other solid leagues like Gonzaga’s league.
That's largely due to conference realignment. The conference USA was gutted in order to replace the American teams that moved to the B12. The WCC lost BYU to the B12 and Gonzaga is having their worst year since the 90s (they are barreling closer to missing the tournament for the first time since '98). I wouldn't really equate the other mid-major leagues being extremely down as the Valley being up. 9 of the 12 teams in the league are sub-100 in the NET which makes the margin of error for a possible 2-bids very, very slim. FWIW, KenPom has the MVC rated 10th behind the A10 and the American and both of those leagues are in similar positions to the MVC--they each have 1 team that is a clear cut at-large candidate if they were to get upset in the conference tournaments: Dayton, FAU and Indiana State. And just for clarity the A10 has 8 teams above 100 in the NET and the AAC has 5 teams, so I would say that the league rankings on KenPom are pretty accurate.

C

Completely agree. Fran had a MUCH better resume before coming to Iowa. Hell, even Lickliter did. I’m not ready to can Fran but replacing him with Devries would be crazy. We can do better.

If we force Fran out, that’d make 2 coaches with the most wins in school history we’d be running off. In that case, make a slimy hire like Bob Huggins. If you're going to be stupid,be really stupid.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT