ADVERTISEMENT

Dasonte Bowen Highlights & Updates (2022 Commit)

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
This video was posted yesterday, on Dec 19, 2021.

Really nice handle. Can hit the 3, the mid range jumper, or take it to the basket.

He blows by opponents as he drives to the basket for either a lay up or a pull up, mid range jumper.

As he drives to the basket, he creates great assist opportunities for his teammates.

He's a good on ball defender.

He's going to fit in perfectly with Fran's up and down system.

Watch here:

Last edited:
He looks really good in those highlights. Blowing by people on the drive and seems to see the court well. Only real red flag is that these highlights are very right hand dominant. He doesn't drive left much and when he does, he is still switching back to his right hand for the layup (one notable exception is the second highlight). He seems very natural and fluid with the ball in his hand though, so I'm guessing that he will be able to develop that left hand more.

He looks really good in those highlights. Blowing by people on the drive and seems to see the court well. Only real red flag is that these highlights are very right hand dominant. He doesn't drive left much and when he does, he is still switching back to his right hand for the layup (one notable exception is the second highlight). He seems very natural and fluid with the ball in his hand though, so I'm guessing that he will be able to develop that left hand more.
Second highlight and fourth highlight where he spins left and finishes with the left around two defenders. He also has one at the 1:27 mark where he drives right then comes back across the lane to finish with his left. Has another left handed layup going full speed in transition at 2:50ish

I didn’t see many, if any, shots that he made definitely harder by going right hand vs left. Bowen is going to be a great player for us

Second highlight and fourth highlight where he spins left and finishes with the left around two defenders. He also has one at the 1:27 mark where he drives right then comes back across the lane to finish with his left. Has another left handed layup going full speed in transition at 2:50ish

I didn’t see many, if any, shots that he made definitely harder by going right hand vs left. Bowen is going to be a great player for us
Agreed. I just watched the video again and he seems to go either way (NTTAWWT😉) with success. But then again, it is a highlight video🙂

Reactions: perryhawk

I totally agree that he is going to be great. That is why I led with that thought. Again, let me underscore that I really like him. His highlights are well above most PGs that Fran has been able to land, so I definitely have high hopes for him.

That said, I stand by my assessment that he was righty dominant. That is not at all unusual in high school. Just for reference though, here is the quick chart of his drives that ended in him shooting either at the rim or mid-range.
  • Drive to his right - 17
  • Drive to his left - 4 (all of those layups, two of those he shot with his right hand)
  • Drive to his right with spin back to his left - 2 (shot one with right and one with left)
  • Four drives with crossover
    • Three to right, crossover to left
    • One to left, crossover right
He goes right roughly 3/4 of the time. For as good as he definitely is, he can be even better if he goes left more, as the defense won't be able to sit on his right hand.

I totally agree that he is going to be great. That is why I led with that thought. Again, let me underscore that I really like him. His highlights are well above most PGs that Fran has been able to land, so I definitely have high hopes for him.

That said, I stand by my assessment that he was righty dominant. That is not at all unusual in high school. Just for reference though, here is the quick chart of his drives that ended in him shooting either at the rim or mid-range.
  • Drive to his right - 17
  • Drive to his left - 4 (all of those layups, two of those he shot with his right hand)
  • Drive to his right with spin back to his left - 2 (shot one with right and one with left)
  • Four drives with crossover
    • Three to right, crossover to left
    • One to left, crossover right
He goes right roughly 3/4 of the time. For as good as he definitely is, he can be even better if he goes left more, as the defense won't be able to sit on his right hand.
I respect your concern, though would counter with a few points

1) what you’ve illustrated is a tendency, which is different from ability. Go watch any of his highlight tapes and you will see him in at least several clips dribble comfortably and finish with the left hand (and make some really tough shots with the left). He has that ability

2) it’s no surprise that a lot of his best drives/takes that would make it into his highlight video are with his right hand since it is his dominant hand. Again, all you need to see is an ability to switch it over, which he has. The video is also only three minutes long and cannot completely capture his game. I highly doubt that 75% number would accurately describe Dasonte’s driving tendencies

3) when is the last time you’ve seen a borderline four star and undisputed D1 caliber PG prospect without a left hand? Being able to dribble with both is simply a prerequisite for the role at the high major level. Look at Bowen’s offer list, including USC, Maryland, Northwestern, Georgetown, Miami FL, Rutgers, Seton Hall, and Virginia Tech. Dasonte’s AAU club tweeted that he’s one of the best PG’s to come through the program in 45 years. This kind of stuff just doesn’t happen to a point guard that can only consistently use one side of the court

You are certainly entitled to your opinion. However, if you want an example of a guy who you could undoubtedly tell had trouble going to his weak hand, go check out Cordell Pemsl’s mixtape. He does nothing with his right hand even in situations where the right would have made for a much easier shot/block. Sure enough, he was never able to develop a right hand in college. Bowen demonstrates an ability to both drive and finish with the left

I respect your concern, though would counter with a few points

1) what you’ve illustrated is a tendency, which is different from ability. Go watch any of his highlight tapes and you will see him in at least several clips dribble comfortably and finish with the left hand (and make some really tough shots with the left). He has that ability

2) it’s no surprise that a lot of his best drives/takes that would make it into his highlight video are with his right hand since it is his dominant hand. Again, all you need to see is an ability to switch it over, which he has. The video is also only three minutes long and cannot completely capture his game. I highly doubt that 75% number would accurately describe Dasonte’s driving tendencies

3) when is the last time you’ve seen a borderline four star and undisputed D1 caliber PG prospect without a left hand? Being able to dribble with both is simply a prerequisite for the role at the high major level. Look at Bowen’s offer list, including USC, Maryland, Northwestern, Georgetown, Miami FL, Rutgers, Seton Hall, and Virginia Tech. Dasonte’s AAU club tweeted that he’s one of the best PG’s to come through the program in 45 years. This kind of stuff just doesn’t happen to a point guard that can only consistently use one side of the court

You are certainly entitled to your opinion. However, if you want an example of a guy who you could undoubtedly tell had trouble going to his weak hand, go check out Cordell Pemsl’s mixtape. He does nothing with his right hand even in situations where the right would have made for a much easier shot/block. Sure enough, he was never able to develop a right hand in college. Bowen demonstrates an ability to both drive and finish with the left
I don't think we are at all far apart on this actually @unoHawkeye. I probably am scrutinizing this much more than I would others recruits, because I was actually very excited about this one...much more than I have when I saw past recruit highlights. It was something that simply struck me about halfway through watching it the first time, so I had to go back and rewatch.

You are also very right that this highlight video is only a snapshot and it is hard to assess tendencies. I think I was getting at a bit of the same thing as you when I commented on how smooth he was. It just seems so effortless when the ball is in his hands. So I think the talent is there, so I'd love to see him utilize it.

We as fans are going to really enjoy him I think.

“3) when is the last time you’ve seen a borderline four star and undisputed D1 caliber PG prospect without a left hand? Being able to dribble with both is simply a prerequisite for the role at the high major level. Look at Bowen’s offer list, including USC, Maryland, Northwestern, Georgetown, Miami FL, Rutgers, Seton Hall, and Virginia Tech. Dasonte’s AAU club tweeted that he’s one of the best PG’s to come through the program in 45 years. This kind of stuff just doesn’t happen to a point guard that can only consistently use one side of the court”

Anyone remember a guy named Andre Woolridge? Yes, ambidextrous dribbling is very important, but when you’re good you’re good.

I do think Bowen is the key to Iowa going forward. A great point guard can cover up so many problems in college basketball. Fran finally got his man and I wouldn’t be surprised to see us playing a lot of 3 guard line-ups with Dasonte next year.

I just watched some video and I’m going to say - go ahead and crucify me my fellow old timers, but this kid looks somewhat like Ronnie Lester to me. Lanky build but great ball handler. Can finish right or left. Some acrobatic shots. Great court vision and control. Moves like he’s gliding, no hurry or lack of control. Sweet midrange shot. Not quite as quick as Ronnie, but outside of Isiah Thomas I don’t think anyone ever was. Start the hype machine!

“3) when is the last time you’ve seen a borderline four star and undisputed D1 caliber PG prospect without a left hand? Being able to dribble with both is simply a prerequisite for the role at the high major level. Look at Bowen’s offer list, including USC, Maryland, Northwestern, Georgetown, Miami FL, Rutgers, Seton Hall, and Virginia Tech. Dasonte’s AAU club tweeted that he’s one of the best PG’s to come through the program in 45 years. This kind of stuff just doesn’t happen to a point guard that can only consistently use one side of the court”

Anyone remember a guy named Andre Woolridge? Yes, ambidextrous dribbling is very important, but when you’re good you’re good.

I do think Bowen is the key to Iowa going forward. A great point guard can cover up so many problems in college basketball. Fran finally got his man and I wouldn’t be surprised to see us playing a lot of 3 guard line-ups with Dasonte next year.

Andre's last year at Iowa was 1997.

Would you say that Andre was the last time Iowa had a great, all around, PG (who could score, drive, and dish)? Horner was good, but he was not at Andre's level, imo.

Right but if you have to go back to the early-mid 90’s to find one example then it’s probably an outlier. High major point guards who can only use one hand are few and far between

Reactions: Mohawkeye
I just watched some video and I’m going to say - go ahead and crucify me my fellow old timers, but this kid looks somewhat like Ronnie Lester to me. Lanky build but great ball handler. Can finish right or left. Some acrobatic shots. Great court vision and control. Moves like he’s gliding, no hurry or lack of control. Sweet midrange shot. Not quite as quick as Ronnie, but outside of Isiah Thomas I don’t think anyone ever was. Start the hype machine!

i don't remember much about Ronnie but Dasonte's and Ronnie's hair cuts are very similar :)

Andre's last year at Iowa was 1997.

Would you say that Andre was the last time Iowa had a great, all around, PG (who could score, drive, and dish)? Horner was good, but he was not at Andre's level, imo.

Dean Oliver was more of a pure point than Horner. Dean also couldn’t go left.

Edit: “could ONLY go left.”

Last edited:
i guess i don't see that; i see an all around great PG

The problem with these highlight films is that nobody misses a shot. They are on the money. If he is real good, I hope Iowa lands him.

Reactions: hawkjt
The problem with these highlight films is that nobody misses a shot. They are on the money. If he is real good, I hope Iowa lands him.
giphy.gif

There seem like a gaping hole at 2G next year, so hopefully Fran sticks this guy there. I like JoeT at PG....one never knows if Ulis or Perkins or both might hit the transfer portal.

Maybe Mulvey develops next year.....Rubraca is not the answer at center....more than likely another bland year.

This was posted on Jan 30, 2022.

Watch:

I like Dasonte. If he can really work that left hand in the off-season, it will definitely help his game. Either way he brings something to the guard positions that we do not have. I'll take it!

Any info on his stats??? I have looked for quite a bit, but I keep coming up short on any season statistics...

Iowa needs a 2 guard that can shoot. That is currently missing. Maybe Peyton.
Bowen can play some of the 2 spot. Payton & Kris can as well. But I see Perkins making a step forward. Just a hunch. Tony has game. I think he just needs to see the floor in bigger chunks of time, to get in the flow of the game, and less spot minutes.

There seem like a gaping hole at 2G next year, so hopefully Fran sticks this guy there. I like JoeT at PG....one never knows if Ulis or Perkins or both might hit the transfer portal.

Maybe Mulvey develops next year.....Rubraca is not the answer at center....more than likely another bland year.
I think Josh Dix is the more likely answer. I’ve not heard anymore about how his recovery is going but from all I’ve read I would expect him to be ready to play by next fall.

I also think Peyton is capable of playing the 2, but there are obvious trade offs with him trying to guard a smaller quicker player.

Because that has happened so many times with players from Iowa.
I saw a pig fly once, well a bacon sandwich thrown across the cafeteria, still point is don’t be negative, believe in Santa Claus until it gets proven it’s impossible. I believe , I believe, I know it’s stupid but I believe

Reactions: Ronman

Portal needs:
1 - off guard that can shoot and play defense.
1 - center that can eat up space and defend the rim

I like Dasonte. If he can really work that left hand in the off-season, it will definitely help his game. Either way he brings something to the guard positions that we do not have. I'll take it!

Any info on his stats??? I have looked for quite a bit, but I keep coming up short on any season statistics...
cant find any stats, either

ADVERTISEMENT